Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Like I said have not looked at the draft at all but if we draft inside top 10 is this Pitt DL still you pick???? Or is he the guy you like at 19th???

best DL best LB best DB honestly right now don’t care I just want a true building block for our D my pick could drastically change if we pick inside top 10 or if we are picking 19th+ 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m just curious from 2017-19 how much do you put the picks on Howie vs Joe Douglas??? Because I clearly remember people on the board praising these picks because of Joe now that they suck it’s oh Howie can’t draft I don’t understand that logic.

since how came back in charge 100% can say 2016 Wentz/Semaulo/Big V/ Jalen Mills was a good draft 2020 still up for debate but have some promising guys Reagor/Hightower(I really really think with an NFL off-season this dude can be a stud)/ Driscoll(seemed alright in limited action)

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yeah,but this is not just one game.I have seen this watching them in previous games, so this seems to me to be a fairly common issue

You assume too much, each game has it's own separate issues.   

10 hours ago, jsb235 said:

A good look at Mailata's snaps.

Jordan Mailata vs Browns 2020 - YouTube

He gave up one sack and one pressure, but in both cases I think Wentz had room to step up.

It seems like the sacks and pressures that Mailata has given up this year fall into one of two categories. 1. As we saw in this case the DE gets super deep and Wentz either fails to step up or can't because of interior pressure. It really isn't fair to expect a LT to block a guy 15 yards up the field. 2. He sets flat and gets beat by an initial move, which is what we saw in the Cowboys game.

Keep in mind that the Browns took Wills 10th overall and he was the reigning rookie of the week, and he was absolutely abused by Sweat on Sunday. So if you asked me which guy I would rather have, it's Mailata and it's not even close. 

Blind side... gotta be smart there and not worry about the guy on the inside and jump back in your stance quicker.   Can't keep messing up twice each game that poorly.  Takes potential good play and could turn it into disaster.   Good run blocking doesn't make up for it.  Not sure how many pass protection snaps he had, but getting beat cleanly twice is not a good percentage.

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I'm with you. And I keep saying it. Put Mailata at LOT and leave him there!!! Wentz needs a consistent line, even if it's a BAD line. Doing that Ped can see where the worst weakness is and call plays to help offset it(if we have any of those lol). The constant player movement helps nobody. I think we can work on your #2 point and I see alot of ceiling in Mailata. We've already witnessed his FLOOR. I really don't care where JP wants to play,rotate him at ROG and be done with it. Dillard can either beat out Mailata outright later,or he can learn to play LOG. I think those 2 together on the left side would give us what we want. Suppose it depends on how Dillard is as a OG. It's a bit different learning set,l but he could be young and moldable? It's worth a try in my book.If it doesn't work,at least we know it doesn't work and we can move onto something else

If Mailata could avoid those 2 ABSOLUTELY BRUTALLY bad plays each game, he could develop. 

23 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You were talking about benching Wentz. I watched plenty of Hurts in college. I like him as a player. Saw him grow quite a bit throughout his college career. Think he’ll grow plenty here. But I don’t think he’s ready now. That’s why he wasn’t a first round pick. He needs development. The pick wasn’t about what he can give this year....whether you agree with the pick or not. Just like the idea of taking a Sidney Jones type in the second.

Sorry I think he can play now. I think this Coaching staff has shown real resistance to coaching up these young guys and putting them in position to make plays.I think Peedy needs help and he refuses to pivot and stick to a system that Big Read has upgraded.

1 hour ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Honestly just to be fair Reagor didn’t have the rookie year of Jefferson(doesn’t shock me) but I really liked Reagor still do... to me he is still a guy that has the higher ceiling also the lower floor. 
Thought Jefferson was the more nfl ready though and I was never the guy against drafting him because he was a so called slot guy. 
last tidbit not sure Jefferson has the success here as he is having in Minnesota especially how we are playing right now 

I don't think it is Reagor as much as the limited creativity by Peedy and frankly underwhelming Offensive staff on Reagors poor production.

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

If Mailata could avoid those 2 ABSOLUTELY BRUTALLY bad plays each game, he could develop. 

This guy just needs to play , in three years with NO football background is starting as a Swing Tackle in the NFL....he has the physical tools... We have the need, WHY won't Peedy give him a chance? Laurie just spoke on the issue it is in Peedy's hands Sink or Swim.

We are the Underdog ...maybe we turn it around ...I love believing in MY Eagles AGAINST everyone. Don't like the Hero Ball. Don't like the desperation football. Tough season....Love Carson...just disappointed.

58 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

You assume too much, each game has it's own separate issues.   

Well every play has it's issues. I'm talking in generalities that are not fixed STILL after many weeks. Those issues are why you game plan for each team. Same as "why do we give up the run every week???" OK, some games you struggle,but we stop what's working.Even if I don't watch the game(or can't) I watch the play by play on my fantasy site. Wentz is now on track to break the franchise record for interceptions. I don't need to see every game to know this is a problem and I can also see where we had yards rushing,then give that up, so to me these are reoccurring issues,not game specific ones 

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I'm happy to admit I was wrong on this one. I was wondering why we were keeping him around. We knew he was a WIP. He never played football in his life. There isn't a real playbook in Rugby, so that in itself takes time to absorb besides the physical aspect. If you keep playing him he will learn (with coaching preferably) how to fix getting beat. Maybe he needs dance lessons or whatever it takes to spring load those ankles to avoid being caught flat footed. He also has to learn that every opponents guys play different and use different tactics. The only way to learn that is hands on. He was probably not even ready to play when he was pressed into service,so he is learning on the job and we need to play him so he can learn THAT spot. By moving him to different spots you are confusing him because other positions are not what you just taught him to do.Put him at LOT, call plays to roll right until you are certain he won't get beat, and let's cope with other issues. We have plenty. JP I can no longer trust if I am Ped

23 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Well every play has it's issues. I'm talking in generalities that are not fixed STILL after many weeks. Those issues are why you game plan for each team. Same as "why do we give up the run every week???" OK, some games you struggle,but we stop what's working.Even if I don't watch the game(or can't) I watch the play by play on my fantasy site. Wentz is now on track to break the franchise record for interceptions. I don't need to see every game to know this is a problem and I can also see where we had yards rushing,then give that up, so to me these are reoccurring issues,not game specific ones 

Idk...speaking of those 2 INTs... the TE couldn't block a blindside DB blitz... not sure if that us reoccurring...  on the 2nd one Alshon missed timed his jump so badly, he could have jumped again and maybe made a play, but he gave up...  is that reoccurring?    

Does the fantasy website show that or does the little arrow moving down the field kinda miss these things?

13 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I'm happy to admit I was wrong on this one. I was wondering why we were keeping him around. We knew he was a WIP. He never played football in his life. There isn't a real playbook in Rugby, so that in itself takes time to absorb besides the physical aspect. If you keep playing him he will learn (with coaching preferably) how to fix getting beat. Maybe he needs dance lessons or whatever it takes to spring load those ankles to avoid being caught flat footed. He also has to learn that every opponents guys play different and use different tactics. The only way to learn that is hands on. He was probably not even ready to play when he was pressed into service,so he is learning on the job and we need to play him so he can learn THAT spot. By moving him to different spots you are confusing him because other positions are not what you just taught him to do.Put him at LOT, call plays to roll right until you are certain he won't get beat, and let's cope with other issues. We have plenty

Not too many issues...it's just the QB.  We would be 8-3 with decent QB play apparently???? 

I look at our QB as like a 1stbasemen...where his infielders keep constantly throwing the ball in the dirt.  Each time we could say, "you gotta scoop that" ... eventually though, we gotta say to ourselves that our infielders need to stop throwing the ball in the dirt.   

Mailata was great, except the 2 times he was purely awful and got Wentz hit quickly.    Reagor was good " except" ...Herbig was good "except "  .. a lot of "excepts"  after you add them all up.  A lot of inexperience right now... the RB fumbles,  a missed block, a dropped pass, a stupid penalty, the wrong play call...etc.  It's all adding up. 

But yo Carson... " you gotta scoop that"

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk...speaking of those 2 INTs... the TE couldn't block a blindside DB blitz... not sure if that us reoccurring...  on the 2nd one Alshon missed timed his jump so badly, he could have jumped again and maybe made a play, but he gave up...  is that reoccurring?    

Does the fantasy website show that or does the little arrow moving down the field kinda miss these things?

Oh it's not like watching the real game LOL. I never insinuated it was. Does Carson know how to throw balls into the sideline bench? Sometimes you just need to do it. All the "elites" do it. Carson is playing like a rook. I understand he wants to win,but sometimes tossing it away is the best play

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

Oh it's not like watching the real game LOL. I never insinuated it was. Does Carson know hot to throw balls into the sideline bench? Sometimes you just need to do it. All the "elites" do it. Carson is playing like a rook. I understand he wants to win,but sometimes tossing it away is the best play

So on the 2 INTs... you think he should have thrown the ball into the bench? That was the issue?

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Not too many issues...it's just the QB.  We would be 8-3 with decent QB play apparently???? 

I look at our QB as like a 1stbasemen...where his infielders keep constantly throwing the ball in the dirt.  Each time we could say, "you gotta scoop that" ... eventually though, we gotta say to ourselves that our infielders need to stop throwing the ball in the dirt.   

Mailata was great, except the 2 times he was purely awful and got Wentz hit quickly.    Reagor was good " except" ...Herbig was good "except "  .. a lot of "excepts"  after you add them all up.  A lot of inexperience right now... the RB fumbles,  a missed block, a dropped pass, a stupid penalty, the wrong play call...etc.  It's all adding up. 

But yo Carson... " you gotta scoop that"

Yep inexperience. You can say that about Mailiata too. Carson is supposed to be one of the seasoned pros but he's not, playing like one. Some you can blame on the Olines inexperience. other times it's just bonehead decisions and he needs to STOP staring down receivers. That is also a  rookie mistake, not a top dollar QB

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

So on the 2 INTs... you think he should have thrown the ball into the bench? That was the issue?

Or "into the dirt" as you said. It's better than a pick

So Joe,being a local what are fans saying in general? I know they aren't happy,but whats the consensus thought up there at the local digs?

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow birdbrains.

As a public service announcement i'd like to suggest that if you notice your neighbor having a large crowd for dinner and you feel the urge to report him for a Covid violation, DONT.

Your teeth will thank you later.

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

On WIP(Sports radio in Philly) they have had NFL experts on and they are saying the many teams in the NFL are watching the situation very close and crossing their fingers that thaty Eagles FO screws this up and puts Wentz OTB. Rumor is at least 4 teams would jump all over him in a heart beat knowing what he can be under the right coach. 

Lets just hope the Eagles are not hat dumb and realize Doug is the problem and move on from him first and try a new coach with Wentz first. 

Perfect situation would be get a new coaching staff in here for 2021 and let them get a chance with Wentz. If he is still not right then you have a out with him the following year and Hurts under contract for 2 more years. If they keep Doug then you will never see what Wentz can do with a real OC before the year you can trade him. 

39 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

On WIP(Sports radio in Philly) they have had NFL experts on and they are saying the many teams in the NFL are watching the situation very close and crossing their fingers that thaty Eagles FO screws this up and puts Wentz OTB. Rumor is at least 4 teams would jump all over him in a heart beat knowing what he can be under the right coach. 

Lets just hope the Eagles are not hat dumb and realize Doug is the problem and move on from him first and try a new coach with Wentz first. 

Perfect situation would be get a new coaching staff in here for 2021 and let them get a chance with Wentz. If he is still not right then you have a out with him the following year and Hurts under contract for 2 more years. If they keep Doug then you will never see what Wentz can do with a real OC before the year you can trade him. 

Yeah,I just HATE DRAMA lol (unless we are the gainers). Ped kind of inherited a decent team. I know we have had massive injuries every year, but this team has gotten worse under his "leadership" or lack thereof. Wentz is playing like a rook, not a million dollar baby. And while the O line can share some of the blame for that he is missing open receivers. So,if I am Luire I am SMH right now. Howie needs to be "relieved" from making draft picks. IDK whom else we have that could do it(except this board!!!!)

So my question is this. Last year did they KNOW something the fans did not??? That would explain the Hurts pick in round 2. I thought it was a lousy pick,but maybe not????

So here is my view(FWIW). So we lose the next 4 games. If Wentz shows me the skills we hired him for,he stays. If he continues this BS play, I think he is gone for the cap savings. FOr me, even if we lose those games,I need to see the old Wentz. I feel Lurie is doing the same. Someone needs to go maybe the staff IDK.It's such a dang mess it's tough to know where to begin

23 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

A look at Mills from the Browns game. He has been up and down, but at this point I don't think he is any better than Epps, and certainly not done anything to justify bringing him back. I would put SS right behind CB2 as the biggest team needs.

Jalen Mills vs Browns 2020 - YouTube

There's the a** kickr. We need DL,LB,CB S maybe another WR. so we need 5 players in 3 rounds,or back to the old barrel bottom FA scooper. With no round 4 pick I don't see us avoiding FA for 2 of those. 

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

So my question is this. last year did we KNOW something the fans did not??? That would explain the Hurts pick in round 2. I thought it was a lousy pick,but maybe not????

I honestly still think it had to do with money and past injuries. 

The backup QB is the 2nd most important position on the team. How many teams lose a QB to injury and the season is over? We saw how important having a good Qb as a backup can make. Also we are in cap hell and we can afford a good backup QB. They cost between 7-12 mill a year just for a backup QB. So instead lets draft a QB they feel could be a good player at roughly a avg of 1.5 mill a season. Wentz has gone down with injuries the last few seasons, now you have a player you can groom that you feel could make a impact if he has to enter the game at fraction of the cost of most backup QBs. Now this fully is based off the fact that Howie feels Hurts can be a good player and can have that success when needed. Why the 2nd round? More then likely Hurts was gone by the 3rd round, maybe even the late 2nd round. After hurts there really wasnt much at the Qb position in this draft that had much upside. This is all just a theory for me of course. 

8 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I honestly still think it had to do with money and past injuries. 

The backup QB is the 2nd most important position on the team. How many teams lose a QB to injury and the season is over? We saw how important having a good Qb as a backup can make. Also we are in cap hell and we can afford a good backup QB. They cost between 7-12 mill a year just for a backup QB. So instead lets draft a QB they feel could be a good player at roughly a avg of 1.5 mill a season. Wentz has gone down with injuries the last few seasons, now you have a player you can groom that you feel could make a impact if he has to enter the game at fraction of the cost of most backup QBs. Now this fully is based off the fact that Howie feels Hurts can be a good player and can have that success when needed. Why the 2nd round? More then likely Hurts was gone by the 3rd round, maybe even the late 2nd round. After hurts there really wasnt much at the Qb position in this draft that had much upside. This is all just a theory for me of course. 

I would buy this except for the fact,most teams will pull a bad starter and put their #2 in for the sake of the team(for better or worse). Other than the 2 PREDCITABLE plays,we put Hurts in for,we rarely see him. Even stars have bad games,so you put your #2 in. Some will spark the team,or lose anyway,but at least they are getting some snaps in in game time.Why is ped afraid to pull Wentz? is it HOPE? because this is not helping Hurts one iota

Archived