Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

Some updates from today.

Ertz is out. Rodgers has been playing well, and I would hope we go heavy 12 personnel as we were at our best in that package against the Browns. He just needs to be more aware on his blocking responsibilities.

The line will be Mailata-Seumalo-Kelce-Peters-Pryor. It will be interesting to see how Peters and Pryor work together. Pryor looked okay against the Browns, and he seems to have turned things around from earlier in the season.

The Seahawks don't get much of a rush from their front four, and seem to depend on stopping the run to put teams in passing situations. But we ran the ball well against the Browns, and should be able to do so again behind a line that is going to feature some bulldozers. Having Goedert is like having a third OT, and Rodgers, with one obvious exception, has been blocking well.

IMO I AM glad to see they finally see what we see and that is mailita is our future LOT. Now,they better keep him there

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I gotta be honest.  I agree with this approach in terms of making moves next year.  I think you need to let these offensive players grow together.  But you are way more confident in all these young unknowns...due to a few plays they make here and there.   Idk if any of them are going to be NFL state level.   The QB however is the least of my concerns....he has shown it already at the NFL level...the question is will the other guys around him step up so that it can have the proper effect on his play.   

Stability will be nice.  Hopefully we don't start 10 different OL combos in the first 11 games.  

Yep been saying all along even if the line is BAD, it would at least be consistent and you have a better chance of pinpointing the weakest link. IDK why it takes some fans on a board to do the staffs jobs for them lol

9 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I mean Willis has been great all year one bad game in the rain doesn’t take away from that... They also got it going on the ground game which is where he excels 

I was responding specifically to Joe who was critical of the team playing Mailata because he has made some mistakes. I was simply pointing out that, regardless of what player you put out there, he's going to have bad plays, especially since we are relying on a lot of rookies or people playing extensively for the first time.

As far as Willis, I have no idea how good or bad he is since I don't watch much of Cleveland. But he has a mediocre PFF rating. And he certainly wasn't any better than Mailata on Sunday. He came a lot closer to getting Mayfield killed than Mailata did to getting Wentz killed, which was Joe's entire argument for getting rid of Mailata.

51 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I’m not confident in them in the sense I think they will a be great players or even good just that A. We can’t really spend and B. Drafting another young player at the same position over and over and over is pointless if your not going to give them any time to develop.

So to me ride with what we got next year on O hopefully some of these young guys we invested in you know pan out fulling year we can readjust look at FA guy look at the draft again etc.

100% ... which is also why I need Wentz to get as many reps with these guys as possible.  Hurts can wait.

46 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

So we bench Mailata for who? We bench Rodgers for who?

We gained 123 yards on the first two series, during which Rodgers played every down. Then we benched him and gained 60 total yards on the next four series, of which 15 yards were due to a roughing penalty. Then we brought him back in and he scored a touchdown on his first play.

So you got your wish. We benched Rodgers and the offense stopped working. Congrats.

As far as Mailata, Dillard didn't do any better las year. The Cleveland tackle, a top draft pick, was abused by Sweat. Who exactly are you looking for to replace him?

I'm not benching anyone... just not being fooled into thinking these guys are playing well.

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yep been saying all along even if the line is BAD, it would at least be consistent and you have a better chance of pinpointing the weakest link. IDK why it takes some fans on a board to do the staffs jobs for them lol

The injuries kinda effected the consistency though....right?

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

100% ... which is also why I need Wentz to get as many reps with these guys as possible.  Hurts can wait.

I'm not benching anyone... just not being fooled into thinking these guys are playing well.

Rodgers is a third string TE who wasn't signed by anyone in the league. Mailata is a seventh round draft pick who never played football before. What exactly do you expect out of them?

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I was responding specifically to Joe who was critical of the team playing Mailata because he has made some mistakes. I was simply pointing out that, regardless of what player you put out there, he's going to have bad plays, especially since we are relying on a lot of rookies or people playing extensively for the first time.

As far as Willis, I have no idea how good or bad he is since I don't watch much of Cleveland. But he has a mediocre PFF rating. And he certainly wasn't any better than Mailata on Sunday. He came a lot closer to getting Mayfield killed than Mailata did to getting Wentz killed, which was Joe's entire argument for getting rid of Mailata.

Nope...never critical about playing Mailata... just not into the BS videos trying to show he is good...when going over the brutal mistakes so quickly... they count.  He is not good. Not at all ... but I think he needs to get the reps. 

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

But we ran the ball well against the Browns, and should be able to do so again behind a line that is going to feature some bulldozers

Key here is NOT to give it up,under ANY circumstances. Unless it's a tight game with under 4 minutes to play,there is zero reason to go away from the run

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

Rodgers is a third string TE who wasn't signed by anyone in the league. Mailata is a seventh round draft pick who never played football before. What exactly do you expect out of them?

For an intelligent fan to not say they have been good. They haven't.  Doesn't mean I want them replaced. Two different things. 

Just now, joemas6 said:

Nope...never critical about playing Mailata... just not into the BS videos trying to show he is good...when going over the brutal mistakes so quickly... they count.  He is not good. Not at all ... but I think he needs to get the reps. 

So Mailata never has a good play? Rodgers never makes any catches? Are you serious?

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The injuries kinda effected the consistency though....right?

Injuries always hurt yes,we all know that. Where the fail came was to have adequate BU's. of course they aren't going to be as good as the starters,but once again the "jack of all trades,master of none" is bothersome . My BU RT should be my BU RT not 5 guys I could choose from

SO now next draft we have 4 round 6 pics.This is the perfect place to get BU's/WIP's. Not gonna get stars here,but you can add the players you need as long as they aren't swiss army knives. I like having a guy or 2 that can,but if you get everyone involved at every position it becomes more of a disaster and really throws your QB off his game(although Wentz seems not to need help with that so far)

So,another thing I would like to see/know is who would replace Kelce. He threatens retirement every year. I have seen noone come in to take snaps and we'd better start getting ONE BU ready to go(not 3 C/G's) Or do we need to draft an ACTUAL center? This is a pretty important position,yet once again,I see no prep being done

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

For an intelligent fan to not say they have been good

I mean Rodgers has been a good backup TE lol I’m not thinking he is pro bowler or even mid tier starter but definitely could do a lot worse. Decent blocker decent receiver. Definitely misses plays. 

Honestly Rodgers to me would be the perfect backup to Geodart(if we move Ertz) next year should be cheap and serviceable if thrust into action. I’d also image moving Ertz would mean we are looking to go more 3-4 WR sets and go away from 2 TE sets so should only need 1 good TE and a decent backup. 

Jurgia or Semaulo would be my guess on who replaces Kelce if he retired... Jurgia play couple snaps vs Cleveland when Kelce hurt his elbow looked alright though super small sample size lol 

3 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Jurgia or Semaulo would be my guess on who replaces Kelce if he retired... Jurgia play couple snaps vs Cleveland when Kelce hurt his elbow looked alright though super small sample size lol 

Welp,I hope that's the case. I know we thought Seu would be. So if they made that call for solidification going forward,there may be hope after all

It’s the blessing and the curse of having a stud C(any O linemen really)like Kelce dude doesn’t miss games or time really think he is at what 92 straight starts. 

Reports saying Laurie frustration is mounting even skipped the Browns game because of it... No clue how true this is or not it if true changes likely to come in the off-season.

1st move would have to be fire Howie

I could see firing Doug but just me personally I’d hire a new GM first then let him make the decision on HC 

44 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Reports saying Laurie frustration is mounting even skipped the Browns game because of it... No clue how true this is or not it if true changes likely to come in the off-season.

I could see firing Doug but just me personally I’d hire a new GM first then let him make the decision on HC 

Completely agree with that approach.  

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Completely agree with that approach.  

I will disagree. I LOVE Howie when it comes to contract magic. This "position" needs to be split and hire a separate GM. Despite taking a year to be a "football guy" Lurie has to see that was inadequate. Howie needs to stick to contracts and let a real GM take that part over 

Think there will always be a weird power struggle if we did that with Howie.

Believe it’s fire Howie out right get a new GM and trust your accounting team(we have a good team I’m sure) or keep Howie maybe you get a new Joe Douglas(replace Andy Weighl who took his place) but it’s still Howie show.

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

The same report said Lurie himself said he missed the game due to precautions due to spending time with his mother for the upcoming holiday and didnt want to take any chances with his mother and covid. That makes more sense then him being disgusted over the play of his team. he didnt miss any games under Chip or Reid when those teams sucked. That reporter was just doing his job which is to get people to bite and read his articles. 

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

The same report said Lurie himself said he missed the game due to precautions due to spending time with his mother for the upcoming holiday and didnt want to take any chances with his mother and covid. That makes more sense then him being disgusted over the play of his team. he didnt miss any games under Chip or Reid when those teams sucked. That reporter was just doing his job which is to get people to bite and read his articles. 

Jeff Mclane also reported him leaving practices in disgust I’m not the one to believe everything from the media but also realize where some smoke there’s a fire there likely some truth to the reports 

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I will disagree. I LOVE Howie when it comes to contract magic. This "position" needs to be split and hire a separate GM. Despite taking a year to be a "football guy" Lurie has to see that was inadequate. Howie needs to stick to contracts and let a real GM take that part over 

We will have to agree to disagree.  Howie has made a complete mess out of the cap ... like the Winter Warlock in Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, he has lost his magic.  At this point it is best they just cut bait with him IMO. 

4 hours ago, jsb235 said:

So Mailata never has a good play? Rodgers never makes any catches? Are you serious?

Does Wentz ever make a good throw?  We have to count everything, including bad plays.  

Archived