Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

20 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I think Siri was hired to fix Wentz. IDK we need a DC that has coached LB's AND CB's and had success with both(if that guy exists). Not as worried about the Dline as I am the secondary,but we'll need to provide him the tools. If Siri can clamp down on Press and make him WORK instead of being just Wentz's "buddy" then fine. If not press needs to go

Press needs to go.  Don’t need anyone sticking around that got away with coddling Wentz - he’ll expect that to continue.  It needs to stop.  This isn’t Carson’s team.  

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Press needs to go.  Don’t need anyone sticking around that got away with coddling Wentz - he’ll expect that to continue.  It needs to stop.  This isn’t Carson’s team.  

I 2nd this motion press needs to go 

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

That should be Siri's call

Hire Groh back? lol ("We're putting the band back together, we're on a mission from god")

18 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

But never been an OC or called plays same with Siri. I’m not saying it can’t work and I’ll be happy for Duce if he gets the chance but my personal preference would be a more experienced OC 

But at the end of the day it isn’t my call lol 😂 

IDk bro,how do people become OC's if you never give them the chance to be an OC? Someone has to take that first shot

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDk bro,how do people become OC's if you never give them the chance to be an OC? Someone has to take that first shot

And I’d prefer it not be with an inexperienced HC with zero play calling experience himself...look it’s just my preference if you like Duce that fine but definitely wouldn’t be my first choice 

3 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

And I’d prefer it not be with an inexperienced HC with zero play calling experience himself...look it’s just my preference if you like Duce that fine but definitely wouldn’t be my first choice 

Sure I get it, what I am looking for is a guy the players will rally around. They already texted Lurie for Duce as HC. Even on this board we have people that would be better play callers than Ped, so really we don't have alot to lose here. It's not like our O was innovative, consistent and spectacular

"However, Staley reportedly declined an opportunity to be Pederson's offensive coordinator in 2018 because the job did not include play-calling duties.”

Also read reports that he turned down a position with Reich as OC for the same reason. 

At anynrate,with this hire and what I assume is the "plan" we can trade Hurts(and I would). Suds can go away also at any time. Pick up Zac Thomas(I knw we like him) as a UDFA replacement for Suds(save that loot) and locate a #2

2 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

"However, Staley reportedly declined an opportunity to be Pederson's offensive coordinator in 2018 because the job did not include play-calling duties.”

Also read reports that he turned down a position with Reich as OC for the same reason. 

Have zero clue how Siri would feel about this. I think he would take "suggestions" but as for giving him play calling duties,I would not. If Duce wants to advance,he will have to do it under rules he may not like. But if he keeps refusing OC jobs, noone will hire him as OC or HC anywhere

14 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Have zero clue how Siri would feel about this. I think he would take "suggestions" but as for giving him play calling duties,I would not. If Duce wants to advance,he will have to do it under rules he may not like. But if he keeps refusing OC jobs, noone will hire him as OC or HC anywhere

I am just trying to gather all information but I’d image Siri will want to call plays... not sure if that will make Duce uninterested in the OC job or not but definitely reports the he turned the job down before 

Just out of curiosity wonder why it seems O minded coaches generally prefer to keeping play calling but D coaches delegate.

Incould be wrong but I don’t hear many D minded HC also call there own defense 

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Hire Groh back? lol ("We're putting the band back together, we're on a mission from god")

I’d throw up (unless to coach WRs ... he seemed to be OK in that role).

One thing I like about this coaching hire is that he had two receivers - Hilton and Pascal - who compare pretty well to Reagor and JJAW. Pascal was much better in the slot, and they were able to scheme it so he was matched up on a safety. He also had a lot of plays where he would fake a block and then go out on a pattern. Watching his highlights all I could think is that JJAW would be perfect for that.

With Hilton, he did a good job of getting him the ball in space, so a 5 yard pass could turn into a 20 yard gain.

Our offense this year was so bland. Run 10 yards, turn around, rinse and repeat. I do think he has a lot of good concepts that will mesh well with our existing players at wr.  

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I am with you on that... Gotta say I am not in the room with Doug, Carson , and Duce. I Can't Say Duce wasn't the smartest guy in the room. Stine...You sound like you know? I get it though ...hahahaha... I get it ...Duce needs to move on from our Birds. The New HC should not be handicapped by existing personnell. Sirianni should probably bring in a veteran OC. Will he have some level of autonomy? Really pleased it was NOT McDaniels...will always be grateful to Reich and his contributions to our Championship. NFL screams process but as mentioned here, didn't get any announcements on 2nd interviews.Thought we got permission to interview Bieniemy after his playoff run. Guess something changed. Welcome to Philly Coach Sirianni

10 minutes ago, Trini said:

I am with you on that... Gotta say I am not in the room with Doug, Carson , and Duce. I Can't Say Duce wasn't the smartest guy in the room. Stine...You sound like you know? I get it though ...hahahaha... I get it ...Duce needs to move on from our Birds. The New HC should not be handicapped by existing personnell. Sirianni should probably bring in a veteran OC. Will he have some level of autonomy? Really pleased it was NOT McDaniels...will always be grateful to Reich and his contributions to our Championship. NFL screams process but as mentioned here, didn't get any announcements on 2nd interviews.Thought we got permission to interview Bieniemy after his playoff run. Guess something changed. Welcome to Philly Coach Sirianni

Just tossing this out cause IDK. We;re taking a shot on a HC who has never been a HC, but we are too scared to take a shot on an OC who has never been an OC? If you wanted an " experienced veteran" wouldn't that be your HC pick? Just curious

14 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Just tossing this out cause IDK. We;re taking a shot on a HC who has never been a HC, but we are too scared to take a shot on an OC who has never been an OC? If you wanted an " experienced veteran" wouldn't that be your HC pick? Just curious

Think it all comes down to preference that’s it definitely make a case for gambling on two guys and hope they work out. Me personally I’d like to get Siri the best chance to succeed and think that’s with a proven coach he can lean on. 

At the end of the day the results are the only thing that will matter so it won’t matter if it’s two unproven guys or a proven guy with a new guy.

So now,under the assumption Wentz can be fixed, WTH do we do with Alshon and Djax? I would personally let them walk,but IDK the contracts they have. I would rather start with the others and draft a top WR

4 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Our offense this year was so bland. Run 10 yards, turn around, rinse and repeat. I do think he has a lot of good concepts that will mesh well with our existing players at w

Yeah, but we (Ped) always gave up on the running game. I think Sanders has more talent than Mack, so I hope siri can get some mileage out of him. I have Gainwell in round 3.I think he would be a nice addition with Scott. What I really want is continuity on the O line and if we are gonna keep Wentz, IDK what we do with Hurts. I would hate to trade him because we have a long time left on his rook contract. IDK WTH Wentz wants there, we need a #2 who can take the reins, but if he's threatened by that, then someone needs to inform him he hasn't gotten through a season either through injury or sucking dog dck lately. We need Wentz to stop being a golden boy and face reality. I hope we take Thomas as a UDFA QB and lose Suds. We can save a little and ZT is going to be better than Suds in a year

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

So now,under the assumption Wentz can be fixed, WTH do we do with Alshon and Djax? I would personally let them walk,but IDK the contracts they have. I would rather start with the others and draft a top WR

The latter by far.  This team needs to remain focused on the future ... not what we'll do in 2021 (and most likely 2022).  No way those guys will help beyond that, so no sense keeping them around IMO.  Give the young players the reps ... it'll help their development.  

16 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

No offense to Duce I’d like to see Siri paired with a more experienced OC especially if he plans to call plays himself. Wonder how much control he will have over his staff as well 

OK, So a bunch of people on here were pushing for Duece to be HC and you don't feel comfortable to hire him as a OC? This was my point from the start. Listen, I loved Duece as a player. But he has been a RB coach in the past 10 years for the Eagles. Not one team has interviewed him for an OC job. His Alma Mater has not contacted him for vacant coaching jobs. But we wanted him to be our HC?

I thought McDaniels and Bieniemy would have been better choices, but I am not throwing chairs over this hire. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Bieniemy was hired for the Houston job already. They cannot announce it until after this weeks play-offs....  Just saying...

14 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK Duce has 7 years in here and we are basically rebuilding now. This is a great chance for Duce to spread his wings work with the WR's coach while retaining his RB knowledge. Many of the players texted Lurie in his support as HC, so I think they would be fine with him as OC. Everyone happy, on the same page, working as one like we did in '17

Many Players? Who are these players? I heard that not one RB were pushing for Duece to be the HC.

Graham, Torrey Smith and Jenkins. Plus Long. That is all I heard. None are Running Backs, the position he coached.

14 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

For what it is worth Duce was Frank Reich top choice apparently to be OC in Indy and Duce opted to stay becuase he wouldn’t get play calling duties. So if he was thought highly by Frank sure he will say good things about Duce to Siri 

Where did you read that? This is news to me. Please send me link. If this is true, I would think Reich will ask Duece to be his OC now, right? I mean Duece has no reason to stay here.... only THING I read was the Chicago Bears wanted to interview him for OC. That was it. Anyway, I hope Duece leaves for another job to build up his resume. Then I hope he gets his shot for a HC job somewhere, maybe even here. I just do not feel he is ready to be the HC. I may be way off base and time will tell.

Thanks,

I would say the potential for Sanders having a monster season is a good reason for Staley to stay. Probably exactly what he needs to make a move.

10 minutes ago, stine said:

Where did you read that? This is news to me. Please send me link. If this is true, I would think Reich will ask Duece to be his OC now, right? I mean Duece has no reason to stay here....

Thanks,

This article states Chicago wanted to interview Staley for their OC position last season but the Eagles blocked it.  It also lists several players (past and present) that were pushing for him to be hired as the next HC:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/01/it-may-be-time-for-eagles-duce-staley-to-go-elsewhere-after-being-snubbed-for-hc-position-opinion.html

I know I've read elsewhere recently that they wanted to promote him to OC after Reich left but since it didn't come with play calling responsibilities he refused (I'll see if I can find the link).  But as with all of these reports, have to take them with a grain of salt ... there is so much contradictory information in competing articles that you know accuracy is an issue.  

Archived