Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

This is an interesting tweet.

Tim McManus on Twitter: "The Eagles ran more vertical routes than any team in the NFL in 2020 while the Colts ranked 24th this season, per ESPN Metrics/NFL Next Gen Stats. No surprise, then, that the Eagles had the 3rd slowest time to throw in the NFL." / Twitter

I think it goes along with what I have been saying, namely that our offense the last two or three years has not matched the skill set of our receivers, and probably made the look a lot worse than they are.

I am excited to see what Watkins Hightower, JJAW, Fulgham and Reagor can do with different playcalling. 

You have to realize Phillip Rivers arm gave out on him...the reason he had to retire. So their offense was adapted to the fact Rivers couldn’t go deep. Not sure if read into that he doesn’t want to go vertical. They tried...but Rivers wasn’t good at it. Wentz has a long ball cannon though.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stine said:

That may be the reason Wentz had issues with Doug's play calling. Maybe Siriani will do a better job here?

Wentz had a problem not being the boss over everything it seems. I think it all stemmed from Pedey being Wentz boss.

2 hours ago, stine said:

Not really a glowing accomplishment....

Scott also a contributor who was stuck on PS. This is my issue at most positions we draft ONE GUY, then don't draft an adequate BU. Then when that guy goes down we go into panic mode and pull FA's out of rest homes(JP anyone?). I keep saying it.Start the PIPELINES at the skill positions. I'm fine with "next man up" ( which is redundant because you have no other options anyway) We need more that I thought in this upcoming draft. Ward and Fulgham were pleasant surprises. I wanted us to be in better shape overall so we could take decent BU players. But if we can't keep our starters on the field a WHOLE YEAR. No consistency means fewer wins. I would love to be in the position of taking TWO WR's this draft,or TWO BTB CB's or TWO anywhere because I know we are solid elsewhere (I understand this is a dream,.but thats what you shoot for). new HC, I want new players that are SOLID in every position I can possibly get. 

20 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Scott also a contributor who was stuck on PS. This is my issue at most positions we draft ONE GUY, then don't draft an adequate BU. Then when that guy goes down we go into panic mode and pull FA's out of rest homes(JP anyone?). I keep saying it.Start the PIPELINES at the skill positions. I'm fine with "next man up" ( which is redundant because you have no other options anyway) We need more that I thought in this upcoming draft. Ward and Fulgham were pleasant surprises. I wanted us to be in better shape overall so we could take decent BU players. But if we can't keep our starters on the field a WHOLE YEAR. No consistency means fewer wins. I would love to be in the position of taking TWO WR's this draft,or TWO BTB CB's or TWO anywhere because I know we are solid elsewhere (I understand this is a dream,.but thats what you shoot for). new HC, I want new players that are SOLID in every position I can possibly get. 

I agree with this. Most teams have 2 solid starters at RB. We don't have more than one starter and one decent back up....

3 hours ago, stine said:

Not really a glowing accomplishment....

Welp,you need an O line to open holes. You aren't getting RB numbers from "holes" you can barely fit a shoehorn through. Ped gave up the run game early and often and when we DID run it(some with stupidly called plays) it was behind 14 different O lines in 16 games, but somehow this is Duce's fault?  Yikes. When we had a solid O line and an actual QB that could play was anyone complaining about RB production?? Or RB "rotation"? No because we had an O line and 2 (or more) nice RB's. Like we do all the time,we draft ONE guy,without taking an adequate BU.Then when he gets hurt or has a bad game we have NOONE. I like Scott he is adequate,but he's not gonna take over for Sanders. We always had a 1,2 punch and besides a BS O line,we don't have that either. After we got Wentz we ATTEMPTED to do this with Hurts,but now Carsons wittle ego is smashed(poor baby). This is why I want a RB in round 3,not a bevy of UDFA guys hoping I can find one that has nay skills at all, which is fine AFTER you have BU'd your other positions because you CAN find DITR's,but you can't rely on that. SO, Duce as OC- the players like him(not just at RB),they will play for him. After 7 years and time as "asst HC" he must have learned something even by osmosis.If the FO felt he could be asst HC(heaven forbid anything happened to PED)  it was assumed he would take the reins. I would probably agree that was to appease Duce, still you don't give that title out if he can't or could not take over for Ped,so they must have had enough confidence to tack that title on.The fact that we are or are not "confident" he could do that is IMMATERIAL because we don't run the team. Now tell me what was the HUGE takeaway from the 2017 season? Here's my take. We were playing well,so was Wentz,we were consistent in all phases(except the secondary which has always been "shaky".Wentz went down. Many were saying "oh they are DONE ". Foles steps in-excellent game manager who sometimes surprised me with his arm strength. But what hit me most was now all the players knew we were behind the 8 ball and I saw EVERY man on that team take an extra "suck it up" breath and we came out and played and they played harder knowing there was a difference between Wentz and Foles to make up. Wentz was not there so you could not "slack a play or 2". That team pulled together as weekly" underdogs(remember?) I still have the dog mask I wore to the nest. back to Duce. SO maybe he is no HC material(yet) but he is a leader of men, not just in the RB room and I see no reason to "let him go to learn elsewhere" when he can learn right here. We are in a rebuild,we will not contend for the SB next year,so who can say Duce can't be an OC? Hey if he sucks rocks he can be fired any week right? But without TRYING, how do you know? If noone is ever given the chance how does ANYONE get promoted? The "OH you have no experience" is only because noone has given them the experience(this still amazes me). if the players all like him and he is respected and when he speaks they listen,then I'm giving this man a chance. If he fails blame me, but once again,I am not going to cower in a corner out of fear I may be wrong,because they ONLY thing wrong is never trying

Honestly don’t think Duce is a bad RBs coach or a bad coach in general. Scott seems to get some hate but he isn’t as bad as people make him out to be I’d put him on par with majority of nfl backups 

Scott avg. 4.7 yards a carry last year can’t ask for much more then that behind a poor OL.

3 hours ago, stine said:

Duece needs to take a job elsewhere to build his resume. Staying here would do nothing to advance his career IMO. I hope he has all the success possible!!

Why does he have to go elsewhere to get experience when he can do it HERE as OC? Don't we lose enough talent as it is?

16 minutes ago, stine said:

I agree with this. Most teams have 2 solid starters at RB. We don't have more than one starter and one decent back up....

Yeah I have a round 3 on my mock. Don't need a STUD just a guy who is solid in rotation,the "Blount/Ajayi" guy. IDK why we went out and signed Howard,we didn't use him. More "dusted off relics" rather than young guns lol

As for Duce what does he want if he wants play calling he isn’t likely to get it here not as OC with an O minded coach. His best bet might be a change of scenery with a D minded HC.

Either that or take the OC job and hope it leads an eventual HC opportunity(if offered the OC job)

Anyway, new HC. I hope he speaks with Duce and the upper brass and they can come to a consensus. If it's a "NO" then fine, they made their call. If it's a" GO", same, they made the call, but I hope the decision is a unanimous one. Whatever decision they arrive at, I want it to be well thought out by all THREE and not look back because face it,we have a hundred other issues to solve

1 hour ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Any chance of getting Wade Phillips for DC?

I would look at him(mentioned) or maybe Marvin Lewis or maybe siri wants some else 

I’ve said to numerous times and will say it again who ever is added to our staff I think all final decisions should be solely Siri.

These are the guys he has to work with and trust. I don’t want another weird dynamic like Doug/Schwartz and Howie.

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I would look at him(mentioned) or maybe Marvin Lewis or maybe siri wants some else 

I heard Philips was one they were looking at. a proven DC was the consensus

2 minutes ago, stine said:

I heard Philips was one they were looking at. a proven DC was the consensus

I trolled the Dullaz site(lol) and there was an article I posted(some pages back) about 3 guys they are looking at.We should be looking at them too. I would present that list to Siri and ask his opinion

Also with how in depth our interviews are and it spanning two days I’d image Siri has a sense who he already wants and lined up for his staff... And the FO likely approved since he got hired 

5 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I’ve said to numerous times and will say it again who ever is added to our staff I think all final decisions should be solely Siri.

These are the guys he has to work with and trust. I don’t want another weird dynamic like Doug/Schwartz and Howie.

Won't happen,that would go against the hierarchy. Siri can voice his opinion,and they may take it,but I am not giving him the reins at this point. Lure has the final say on EVERYTHING,unless of course Lurie has already made the decision to walk away and let Siri do his thing(which was his call to do)

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Won't happen,that would go against the hierarchy. Siri can voice his opinion,and they may take it,but I am not giving him the reins at this point. Lure has the final say on EVERYTHING,unless of course Lurie has already made the decision to walk away and let Siri do his thing(which was his call to do)

So you don’t know just like I don’t know the hierarchy is what your saying... You hired the coach you should trust him then to build his staff if not we are doomed to repeat the same mistake as Doug just a matter of time 

2 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

So you don’t know just like I don’t know the hierarchy is what your saying... You hired the coach you should trust him then to build his staff if not we are doomed to repeat the same mistake as Doug just a matter of time 

The top brass will decide if they want to let him pick his staff, nothing you can do about it. If that was discussed at the interview then fine, but either way Siri signed on the dotted line

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

The top brass will decide if they want to let him pick his staff, nothing you can do about it. If that was discussed at the interview than fine, but either way Siri signed on the dotted line

Soooo again you can’t say he doesn’t have control just like me you speculating. So I stand by my point that Siri should have control over his staff 

1 minute ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Soooo again you can’t say he doesn’t have control just like me you speculating. So I stand by my point that Siri should have control over his staff 

LOL it's not up to you or me to decide that

1 minute ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

You're right. Just that GB, yourself (?) and many others including myself aren't optimistic this will be the case. 

Archived