Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I would say the potential for Sanders having a monster season is a good reason for Staley to stay. Probably exactly what he needs to make a move.

This brings up another point. Other than the SB year, what RB had a break out year? Which RB has seen Drastic improvement? Of course we rarely ran the ball so that may be a bit unfair, but still I have seen little as far as improvement on the RB Position.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember Duce had Adams come off the PS and take over as the starter. He made him a serviceable player. Adams doesn’t appear to have the ability to even make a team since, right? Haven’t really followed his career or anything.

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

This article states Chicago wanted to interview Staley for their OC position last season but the Eagles blocked it.  It also lists several players (past and present) that were pushing for him to be hired as the next HC:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/01/it-may-be-time-for-eagles-duce-staley-to-go-elsewhere-after-being-snubbed-for-hc-position-opinion.html

I know I've read elsewhere recently that they wanted to promote him to OC after Reich left but since it didn't come with play calling responsibilities he refused (I'll see if I can find the link).  But as with all of these reports, have to take them with a grain of salt ... there is so much contradictory information in competing articles that you know accuracy is an issue.  

Yes I have seen about Chicago. It is possible about OC here also. But one offer in 10 years for the OC position? That is it? Nothing from the College ranks? Duece needs to do himself a favor and get another job elsewhere to promote himself. I hope he succeeds. As I said, I like the dude. Always have. But Bieniemy has better credentials IMO as did McDaniels. I think Siri is about the same. Siri has coaching experience as a DB, WR and OC though. He is also a Reich Disciple which will help with Wentz. This should not be solely about Wentz though and I hope it isn't or we are in for another long slump.... 

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Remember Duce had Adams come off the PS and take over as the starter. He made him a serviceable player. Adams doesn’t appear to have the ability to even make a team since, right? Haven’t really followed his career or anything.

Not really a glowing accomplishment....

2 minutes ago, stine said:

Not really a glowing accomplishment....

I actually think that’s a great coaching job. Having a Saquan Barkley be good doesn’t take nearly the coaching.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Lesean MCCoy was a stud

But was that Duece or just the ability of McCoy? Did McCoy improve drastically from one year to the next? He always had over 4 yards per carry. I don't know enough to be honest. Maybe Duece helped McCoy.....

Duece needs to take a job elsewhere to build his resume. Staying here would do nothing to advance his career IMO. I hope he has all the success possible!!

Really liked how he got Sanders up to speed. Sanders had very very little experience in the passing game. But was up and running and developing his rookie season. Wasn’t as good this last season....but seemed like a whole team situation.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Done a very good job developing Scott

I cannot make a judgement for a RB that ran the ball 141 times in 2 years. That is normally half a season's stat....

5 minutes ago, stine said:

I cannot make a judgement for a RB that ran the ball 141 times in 2 years. That is normally half a season's stat....

He’s a guy developed off the PS by Duce. I feel very good about his development going forward. Not a stud. But a good weapon. 

I really think a HC job is more about leadership and how you carry yourself. Duce checks those boxes.

Of coarse we shocked the world by hiring and OC for our HC job....not

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I really think a HC job is more about leadership and how you carry yourself. Duce checks those boxes.

Of coarse we shocked the world by hiring and OC for our HC job....not

Well, maybe you are right. I can think of 2 Head Coaches that were not at least a coordinator before, that did well in the NFL. Andy Reid is one, but to be fair, he was interviewed by many teams for the HC job so there must have been interest. Also Holmgren denied him the opportunity to interview for an OC job. The other was Harbaugh for Baltimore. It can be done and maybe Duce could pull it off. I just feel he needs to get experience elsewhere now that the Eagles did not hire him. He will go nowhere if he stays....

HC jobs pretty much are opposite of job security. Position coaches do have some job security. As much as can be in football.

This is an interesting tweet.

Tim McManus on Twitter: "The Eagles ran more vertical routes than any team in the NFL in 2020 while the Colts ranked 24th this season, per ESPN Metrics/NFL Next Gen Stats. No surprise, then, that the Eagles had the 3rd slowest time to throw in the NFL." / Twitter

I think it goes along with what I have been saying, namely that our offense the last two or three years has not matched the skill set of our receivers, and probably made the look a lot worse than they are.

I am excited to see what Watkins Hightower, JJAW, Fulgham and Reagor can do with different playcalling. 

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

HC jobs pretty much are opposite of job security. Position coaches do have some job security. As much as can be in football.

If you never want to be a head coach. I believe Duece wants that opportunity. If so, he needs to get another job elsewhere to help his cause

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

Tim McManus on Twitter: "The Eagles ran more vertical routes than any team in the NFL in 2020 while the Colts ranked 24th this season, per ESPN Metrics/NFL Next Gen Stats. No surprise, then, that the Eagles had the 3rd slowest time to throw in the NFL." / Twitter

I think it goes along with what I have been saying, namely that our offense the last two or three years has not matched the skill set of our receivers, and probably made the look a lot worse than they are.

I am excited to see what Watkins Hightower, JJAW, Fulgham and Reagor can do with different playcalling. 

That may be the reason Wentz had issues with Doug's play calling. Maybe Siriani will do a better job here?

"When Frank Reich left to take the Indianapolis Colts’ head-coaching job following the Eagles’ Super Bowl championship in 2017, Staley was offered the offensive coordinator’s job, but turned it down because it didn’t come with play-calling responsibilities.”

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-head-coach-doug-pederson-duce-staley-carson-wentz-jeffrey-lurie-howie-roseman-20210120.html?outputType=amp

19 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Lastly wonder how much sway Wentz had on the decision of the HC... Reports were strong he likely wasn’t fond of Duce who A. Didn’t like how they had kid gloves and babied Wentz and is known to coach guys hard. Same can be said of McDaniels.

Siri is also on the Reich tree and Wentz was supposedly really fond of Reich. 

Siri from what I read though isn’t afraid to coach guys hard if he needs to so do think he can lean on Reich some on the best ways to get the best from Wentz.

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Todd Bowles as DC? Dennis Allen maybe? I understand Siri would want his own DC,but these make 2 nice suggestions. I now hope(since it seems Lurie and Howie have seemed to both agree to Siri) that he has some influential input on the draft

Any chance of getting Wade Phillips for DC?

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Todd Bowles as DC? Dennis Allen maybe? I understand Siri would want his own DC,but these make 2 nice suggestions. I now hope(since it seems Lurie and Howie have seemed to both agree to Siri) that he has some influential input on the draft

I'd be happy with one those choices. 

3 hours ago, stine said:

Many Players? Who are these players? I heard that not one RB were pushing for Duece to be the HC.

Graham, Torrey Smith and Jenkins. Plus Long. That is all I heard. None are Running Backs, the position he coached.

Does OC or HC ONLY concern RBs? They were not "ASKED" to show support, they did this of their own volition

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

There were no vertical threats before this past season. I believe they had to shorten the playbook since there was no experience at WR. Attacking vertically is a huge part of the AR West Coast Offense. The point being trying to open up the running game and our TEs. Or clearing out.

1 hour ago, stine said:

If you never want to be a head coach. I believe Duece wants that opportunity. If so, he needs to get another job elsewhere to help his cause

I totally understand your point. I think he might have left had we not drafted Sanders. We didn’t get the season Sanders is capable of. Harder to move up the ladder on a down season. Makes a ton of sense for Duce to stay one more year to punch his best ticket forward....which might just be what you are suggesting.

Archived