EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If they gave up good prospects this is a bad trade. Gibson has been good this year. The other years of his career indicate this is an outlier cause he has been pretty unimpressive outside of this season. Kennedy since 2017 has been bad then good. Waiting to see what they gave up 

There’s at least one guys going to the Rangers. He was our best pitching prospect 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If they gave up good prospects this is a bad trade. Gibson has been good this year. The other years of his career indicate this is an outlier cause he has been pretty unimpressive outside of this season. Kennedy since 2017 has been bad then good. Waiting to see what they gave up 

What prospects of ours are good?  Our farm system is terrible.  Our top prospects wouldn't be top 10 in most farm systems.

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s not so much Anderson the player as it’s the crapshow that is the Phillies organization for about a decade now. 

yeah i wouldn’t make that move. He’s perpetually hurt. Great player but always injured. They have enough of those type of guys. They really should just be sellers as they aren’t good. They are at .500 in a crap division thats the only reason they are remotely close to a playoff spot. 

In my head I totally agree. In my heart though I've always loved watching Buxton. He's so damn exciting when he's healthy.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Looks like Spencer Howard +. I've always liked Gibson's peripherals but one of those guys who has never really put it all together consistently. Which is a red flag. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

What if its your best prospect ??

Spencer Howard is one of the pieces going to Texas. He was by far our best pitching prospect for a 33 year old guy who’s having his best season now and a 36 reliever. If the Phillies where in win now mode I’d be fine with the trade but let’s be honest. This team isn’t much better 

Just now, jwill2420 said:

There’s at least one guys going to the Rangers. He was our best pitching prospect 

Howard had struggled this year when the Phillies called on him. Frankly i ultimately think he’s best suited for the bullpen but this feels like a class give up on him and make a trade for two relief pitchers who likely revert back to pumpkins next year as howard improves. Then look back and say why the hell did we trade howard for a 33 and 36 year relievers who prior to their outlier years weren’t very good over the past 5 years prior 

4 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

What prospects of ours are good?  Our farm system is terrible.  Our top prospects wouldn't be top 10 in most farm systems.

That’s not true on all of them stott would be top 5 in most farm systems. Still rather have howard to develop then 33 year old RP who was garbage up until this season. and Kennedy had been mediocre to bad for 3 out of his last 4 seasons up til now. Literally he’s been a journeyman RP. This reminds me of when they signed old ass Robertson and it blew up in their face. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That’s not true on all of them stott would be top 5 in most farm systems. Still rather have howard to develop then 33 year old RP who was garbage up until this season. and Kennedy had been mediocre to bad for 4 out of his last 5 seasons up til now. Literally he’s been a journeyman RP 

Spencer Howard was supposedly our best prospect for a couple years and he is not good.  Any of the guys we traded in the last 10 years out of farm system, they were not good either.  Our prospects stink, which is why the Phillies are where they are.

Howard had struggled this year when the Phillies called on him. Frankly i ultimately think he’s best suited for the bullpen but this feels like a class give up on him and make a trade for two relief pitchers who likely revert back to pumpkins next year as howard improves. Then look back and say why the hell did we trade howard for a 33 and 36 year relievers who prior to their outlier years weren’t very good over the past 5 years prior 

Yeah he did struggle. Then again he’s only 25 still had time to develop. 

Also must add Howard wasn’t the high of a prospect to begin with. He probably wouldn’t crack the top ten in most farms. So if Gibson and Kennedy can help this team get to post season it’s worth it but I really don’t think this team is much better

4 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

Spencer Howard is one of the pieces going to Texas. He was by far our best pitching prospect for a 33 year old guy who’s having his best season now and a 36 reliever. If the Phillies where in win now mode I’d be fine with the trade but let’s be honest. This team isn’t much better 

I’d add the last month gibson has had a 6.26 ERA and 0-4

3 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

Pay him. Solid defender, brings so much more to the table than Barnett

My hunch is try to trade him pre trade deadline. If he comes out and his 4 or 5 sacks in the first month or so some team will overpay for him. 

1 minute ago, Khani1 said:

I wish someone would bish slap Duckwalk back to Venus.  What is that thing?  

Yeah I liked dumblebear better

2 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

Spencer Howard was supposedly our best prospect for a couple years and he is not good.  Any of the guys we traded in the last 10 years out of farm system, they were not good either.  Our prospects stink, which is why the Phillies are where they are.

Don’t disagree their farm system isn’t good. Doesn’t mean trade him for a career 5+ era pitcher at 33 who over the last month has had a 6.26 ERA. And a 36 year old bullpen arm who’s been as bad as he’s been good for the last 5 years. I much rather have howard then either of these guys. 

We traded our slop, for theirs.  Maybe the thinking was at least the guys we got are in the MLB while most of our prospects won't even sniff the field.

Don’t disagree their farm system isn’t good. Doesn’t mean trade him for a career 5+ era pitcher at 33 who over the last month has had a 6.26 ERA. And a 36 year old bullpen arm who’s been as bad as he’s been good for the last 5 years. I much rather have howard then either of these guys. 

You shouldn't worry about it either way.  These guys we got stink and the prospects stink.  The Phillies haven't been able to scout or draft in years.  We had a chance to turn the franchise around and we draft Micky Moniac with the #1 overall pick in all of baseball.

7 minutes ago, DuckWalk said:

Until I see one person shut the hell up about Ginger Jesus being shipped and cheer at the top of their lungs when somebody "anybody" puts a helmet on somebody this year even remotely like this, 

Don't believe a word out of any of ya. Go back to painting murals and dedicating skate parks. 

I never understand anything you post 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Are you sure? 
his stats lone show he’s 

6-3   2.87 era   1.18 whip? 

22 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I've always wanted to do one of those grocery spending sprees where they give you a bunch of money and you get timed to see how fast you can cram your cart full of Twinkies and honey buns all while wrecking the store.

Honestly though I think I'd head straight for the expensive cheese and meat section.

Supermarket Sweep was my jam growing up. I even played the board game

5 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

We traded our slop, for theirs.  Maybe the thinking was at least the guys we got are in the MLB while most of our prospects won't even sniff the field.

I’d be willing to bet howard at some point is a useful pitcher in the majors. I don’t think he’s a starter. He’s a bullpen guy with stuff to be back end of the bullpen. The problem is the Phillies keep thinking he’s a starter and then keep moving him from pen then starter then pen and then back. His problem was endurance. He’d do well for 2-3 innings then fall off a cliff after 3. 

It’s not even their slop cause they didn’t develop or draft them. They signed them to cheap contracts cause they stunk. I much rather have potential upside in howard then two journeymen pitchers you can find in free agency every year  

11 minutes ago, DuckWalk said:

Progress

Serious question.  Do you wake up every morning and eat a bag of mushrooms and then make a retainer out of acid which you stick in your mouth? Is that how you function?

1 minute ago, Solomon said:

Supermarket Sweep was my jam growing up. I even played the board game

My favorite thing was the candy bar guessing game by tasting it. Like who could mess that up? 😂 You can tell just by looking at it. 

Ive never seen anyone guess wrong 

I’d be willing to bet howard at some point is a useful pitcher in the majors. I don’t think he’s a starter. He’s a bullpen guy with stuff to be back end of the bullpen. The problem is the Phillies keep thinking he’s a starter. His problem was endurance. He’d do well for 2-3 innings then fall off a cliff after 3. 

It’s not even their slop cause they didn’t develop or draft them. They signed them to cheap contracts cause they stunk. I much rather have potential upside in howard then two journeymen pitchers you can find in free agency every year  

You are worrying way too much about this.  Howard is not making them compete in the next few years.  These trades are not changing the landscape of the Phillies this year either.  They have a lot of work to do.  If we were a couple players away, I would understand your concern.  This team needs a couple starters, a closer, a CF, probably a 1st basemen soon, etc etc etc

6 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I never understand anything you post 

Don't encourage by responding.

Archived