EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, Ace Nova said:

You won’t catch me defending Bradford.  I was never high on him but at the time, half the fan base (or more) thought he was the answer. 

Not me i said it was a bad trade at the time. foles showed he was better than Bradford had shown at any point in time in nfl. The fact they gave up foles and then on top of it a second to acquire Bradford was ridiculously bad value. The eagles got super fortunate the Vikings had the injury to bridgewater and were able to acquire a first for him. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea, the only time anybody was remotely positive about that trade was when we thought it was Bradford and a 2 for Foles. 

I rationalized the hell out of that trade later because of Bradford’s pedigree and believing in Chip, but, yeah, almost all of us (myself included) were shocked we had to throw in with Foles. 

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I don’t think you’re remembering the Blog’s reaction very well. 

About half were in favor, about half against.  About the same as Watson now.  

18 hours ago, downundermike said:

Good analysis of issues with Hurts

Some of that highlights my major concerns with Hurts.  Throws over the middle of the field and that hesitation hitch. I think the latter may be his speed to read or maybe his lack of comfort with the receivers and routes.  He did fine throwing over the middle in Riley’s offense. That can be fixed and now that he has a real QB coach, it probably will.  One thing I will say about him is that he seems willing to put the work in.  I hope he develops that Brady chip on his shoulder mentality and that Mahommes and Favre gunslinger ability to trust that the WR will get open.  

26 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

I have a question (and let me preface this by saying, I think a blind monkey humping a football could make better picks than Howie).......Let's just say, Hurts comes in and becomes a top 5 QB (and let me preface this by saying, I think the blind monkey might have a better shot).....but let's just say he somehow channels his inner Brady, gets pissed, becomes something incredible.......do we then look back at Howie as a genius for drafting him, trading Wentz and getting draft picks back for him?  That's a whole lot of if's but just playing out the scenario in my head.......

It'd be more like plunging your toilet and having oil start gushing out -- back when you could actually keep the oil on your land .... 

11 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Some of that highlights my major concerns with Hurts.  Throws over the middle of the field and that hesitation hitch. I think the latter may be his speed to read or maybe his lack of comfort with the receivers and routes.  He did fine throwing over the middle in Riley’s offense. That can be fixed and now that he has a real QB coach, it probably will.  One thing I will say about him is that he seems willing to put the work in.  I hope he develops that Brady chip on his shoulder mentality and that Mahommes and Favre gunslinger ability to trust that the WR will get open.  

If Hurts somehow elevates his game to be a franchise QB and proves the world wrong, that would be chill.

Anyone thinking Hurts can be good is not allowed on these boards, however.

19 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

When does camp start? I need more Hurts hype videos. 

He has to show up first. Almost noon and no Hurts walking inside the NovaCare video yet. :nonono:

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He has to show up first. Almost noon and no Hurts walking inside the NovaCare video yet. :nonono:

image.thumb.png.72a3bda6ff78a197cf408a01caf52fb3.png

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yep.  He skewered the Big 12 defenses... not that they actually play defense in the Big 12.   Riley's system is very good... for college success.  

The real question about Hurts is whether or not he can learn to be an NFL QB, not whether or not he was a good college QB.  His game is deficient in some pretty important areas for being an NFL QB.  We'll see what he shows this year, but last year's trial was not an encouraging one for Hurts learning to play in the NFL.  His 4 games last year was just an extension of his college career.  Maybe that's all on Doug, or maybe its a split between Doug, Taylor and Hurts.  But, Hurts needs to learn to read a defense more efficiently, throw the ball on time, and rely on his arm (and head) more than his legs.   Hopefully he can do that.

The jury is out on Hurts but I think the Nick/Brian with Shane and Kevin are far more likely to develop Hurts that Doug, Press, Marty and the gang of fools.  Heck, just Johnson over Taylor gives Hurts a real shot.  Johnson may even be able to make Mullins a serviceable back up.  

1 minute ago, MillerTime said:

It’s going to take some time getting used to seeing #2 and #3 at CB this year 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m really curious as to what the situation on goedert and his extension is. Is he asking for money than the eagles are willing to give for his career so far? Also If he doesn’t sign anything before the season, would he just play the season out and go to FA and test the market (unless the eagles franchise him). 

I think the problem is that Goedert has shown flashes of being a top 5 TE and probably wants to be paid like one, but he doesn't have the track record with injuries/being behind Ertz. The Franchise tag for TEs isn't that bad, so if they can't get him extended, I think they will use that. Hopefully they get something done though, potentially in season.

5 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Nike keeps making the color of the jersey worse and worse with each passing year.  The Philadelphia Jaguars. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m almost positive there a entire USA Today story on Goff’s inability to read a defense when mcvay got there. (Based off searching there was another article alluding to mcvay saying that again in April this year). I believe the USA Today was published around the time when the eagles were out there in 2017 cause of the whole wentz and Goff storyline. Also Goff was one of the worst quarterback throwing the ball after pre-snap motion in 2020 which a lot of mcvay’s offense is predicated on pre-snap motion 

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2021/6/15/22532986/rams-news-nfl-goff-stafford

I like sirianni but who’s proven nothing as a head coach. Had luck and rivers who were already established players when the colts offense had his two best years as OC is a little much to be considered wonder boy. I like sirianni as a guy to work with young talent (particularly WR) but that’s a bit much to him refer to him as a wonder boy. Meanwhile mcvay had Goff who looked like crap his rookie year and helped develop him into at least competent enough to  get to a super bowl. And was instrumental in the development cousins from a 3rd round pick into being a nfl starting QB. I don’t think mcvay is the greatest thing since slice bread but I’m betting mcvay’s offense would’ve looked much better with rivers and luck starting for the Rams than Goff.

(sorry i didn’t know that was sarcasm if it was)

I thought it was pretty obvious it was sarcasm.

Good response though, if it wasn’t.  If Nick does well with Jalen, I think it will be from route design and because he hired Brian Johnson as his QB coach.  Not sure Johnson could have fixed Wentz because I am not sure that Wentz takes coaching after listening to reports he tuned Doug out, but all indications are that Hurts responds to coaching.  He got benched for Tua and just tried harder. Graduated early and transferred to Oklahoma and mastered Riley’s offense pretty quickly.  That’s a Russell Wilson to Wisconsin type move. I suspect his interview reminded the Eagles of Wilson’s, which was reportedly outstanding. 

I don’t doubt Goff held McVay back.  I really didn’t want him in 2016 but I wasn’t sold on Wentz either.   North Dakota State has been pretty plug, play and win with its QBs.  (I also am not sold on Trey Lance either. Wasn’t a fan of this year’s QB class.  Suspect Jones will be the best of them, if he gets a good offensive line). But what has McVay done with the Rams to live up to his wonder boy shtick?

22 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Wait, I thought we needed a CB2.  Slay is 2 and Nelson could be 2 too, I am sure Epps wouldn’t mind. 

14 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I thought it was pretty obvious it was sarcasm.

Good response though, if it wasn’t.  If Nick does well with Jalen, I think it will be from route design and because he hired Brian Johnson as his QB coach.  Not sure Johnson could have fixed Wentz because I am not sure that Wentz takes coaching after listening to reports he tuned Doug out, but all indications are that Hurts responds to coaching.  He got benched for Tua and just tried harder. Graduated early and transferred to Oklahoma and mastered Riley’s offense pretty quickly.  That’s a Russell Wilson to Wisconsin type move. I suspect his interview reminded the Eagles of Wilson’s, which was reportedly outstanding. 

I don’t doubt Goff held McVay back.  I really didn’t want him in 2016 but I wasn’t sold on Wentz either.   North Dakota State has been pretty plug, play and win with its QBs.  (I also am not sold on Trey Lance either. Wasn’t a fan of this year’s QB class.  Suspect Jones will be the best of them, if he gets a good offensive line). But what has McVay done with the Rams to live up to his wonder boy shtick?

i tend to think it’s possible the only coach wentz would listen to and get the most out of him might just be Frank reich. I think he respects him and they must have really bonded and connected well when he was in his first two years here. Not sure sirianni and Johnson in this stages of their career if wentz would’ve taken to them enough to truly listen  

oh i 100% agree on the Wilson part. I’m sure hurts had an amazing interview. I think he’s a smart kid and has a pretty good personality to him. So i could totally see that interview bring like that to them 

i definitely don’t think mcvay is the wonder boy everyone makes him out to be. I think that’s overblown. Don’t get wrong i think he’s still a good coach but they make him out to be like he re-invented the wheel. I just think Goff held him back more than he was holding Goff back. (I like trey lance more cause he’s getting to play in Kyle shanahan’s offense more than i probably like lance the Qb if he went elsewhere. Like if he went to the jags or Jets or Denver I’m not very high on him succeeding) 

24 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

The jury is out on Hurts but I think the Nick/Brian with Shane and Kevin are far more likely to develop Hurts that Doug, Press, Marty and the gang of fools.  Heck, just Johnson over Taylor gives Hurts a real shot.  Johnson may even be able to make Mullins a serviceable back up.  

The bolded is all that really matters.   He has a lot to prove in the NFL.   How he goes about that is where the rest of the post fits.  Doug was bad last year.  No doubt about it.  Doug might have been intentionally bad, honestly, to get out of here.  This was the season after he had his knees cut out from under him with the coaching staff, and I don't think they ever gelled.   Maybe that was Doug's fault, or maybe it lies as the fault of Lowie for forcing his hand with his coaching staff.   

My point is that Hurts' college success is irrelevant at this point.  The NFL isn't a place where past performance really lasts long as a measuring stick.  In 2017, Wentz was an MVP candidate, and frankly, was the odds on favorite to win it before the knee injury.  Now he's been discarded.  Hurts' performance at OU is irrelevant now to the performance he can have in the NFL.  And Johnson is an interesting name as a QB coach, but how does he transition to the NFL as a coach.  This is his first rodeo in the NFL.  We'll see how he translates, too.   Lots of variables, no real answers yet.   More data is needed.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Lol. Bradford absolutely was not considered a very good QB. 

Yup.  Massive injury risk, middling passer.  It was a mistake to trade for him... but the Vikings upped the ante on the stupid when they traded for him out of desperation.  

Taking Hurts b/c of intangibles in the late 2nd rd is exactly what you should do, the difference between say #53 and #70 is pretty marginal, but the difference top intangibles can potentially make is huge.  I mean Hurts certainly was a great athlete, had more than the minimum skills (arm strength, accuracy), had the college track record (people hold getting benched against him, but QBs transfer for playing time to inferior schools all the time - Hurts stuck it out then transferred to a top 10 program).

Doesn't mean he'll succeed, but the odds are far greater when the player works hard and is coachable.

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Really?  I was never high on him but most (including this blog) thought we had "finally” acquired a "true” franchise QB at the time.  

Nope.  I thought we had fleeced the Rams for a first round pick and took Bradford on as baggage when they traded away Foles.  

32 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

I hate the new uniform number stuff.  I know I'm a Boomer, but it still irks me.

29 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Nelson a big AI fan. 

I thought it was an homage to Eddie Murray.

28 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Nike keeps making the color of the jersey worse and worse with each passing year.  The Philadelphia Jaguars. 

Yup... that looks almost blue.   It is 100% WRONG, either way.

Archived