EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

How do you think we’re going to get our franchise QB? San Francisco just used three No. 1s to get Trey Lance, a good but not elite QB prospect. 

Because Jimmy G is as frail as paper. 

Let Hurts show what he has in season 2.  Either he shows he's he can be that guy or he doesn't.  If he doesn't then this team is going to be bad.  Picking near the top of the draft bad. The Eagles will then be in position to target a top QB prospect and develop him as they build a team around him during that rookie contract.  But first I want to see Hurts in year two because that is best case scenario in all of this as Eagles wouldn't have to use any of their extra firsts in a trade up scenario for a QB. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Let’s do a "best shape of his life” pool. Whose the first player to report to camp to get that status. Rules are simple. Pick a player. Any coach, player himself, other player, beat writer or anonymous source that says that phrase first describing said player wins.

I’ll start, Jalen Reagor.

JJAW 

14 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

How do you think we’re going to get our franchise QB? San Francisco just used three No. 1s to get Trey Lance, a good but not elite QB prospect. 

That was a rare piece of stupidity from Lynch, who went with Shanahan's wishes.  Lance likely would have been there at #7 or later.  Mahomes went #10.  Watson went #12.  Fields went #11, Mac Jones went #15 and both could very well have better careers than Zach Wilson, who went #2.

Shough is the best QB prospect for 2022 -- and not by a little.  Where is he ranked currently on NFL draft boards?  Well within Eagles draft range without giving up any assets.  

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

That was a rare piece of stupidity from Lynch, who went with Shanahan's wishes.  Lance likely would have been there at #7 or later.  Mahomes went #10.  Watson went #12.  Fields went #11, Mac Jones went #15 and both could very well have better careers than Zach Wilson, who went #2.

Shough is the best QB prospect for 2022 -- and not by a little.  Where is he ranked currently on NFL draft boards?  Well within Eagles draft range without giving up any assets.  

How many of those teams traded up to get their guy? We also passed on Jones and Fields, so clearly we didn’t like them that much. We were at 6 and apparently had interest in trading up for Wilson, which would have cost significant assets. 

The point being that QB trade ups are expensive. Drafting 6 is no guarantee our guy will be there. And it’s no guarantee that guy is good. 

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

That trade wasn’t just because Jimmy G got hurt. That’s just the excuse they’re putting out there.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Trey Lance IS** EXACTLY what Shanahan needs/wants. To trade up and get EXACTLY what your head coach(whos dont a great job with garbage at the QB position) you do what you have to do to get him. 

I like Trey Lance better than Sunshine, Field and Max Jones. Not even close. 

Including Joe Borrow, my top 5 from this year and last year is... Herbert, Borrow, wilson, lance, Sunshine 

The rare time Bacarty is right. 

22 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Can we point out a guy names Rusty Hardin is Watsons lawyer... Rusty Hardin....

Rusty Hardin is a damn fine lawyer and pretty good at dealing with cases like this.  My opinion of Buzbee is much less.  He is an insult to most ambulance chasing billboard attorneys.  There are a lot of excellent personal injury attorneys out there and I don’t put Buzbee in that category.   But anyone that thinks the truth prevails in the courthouse hasn’t been there.  The goal is to paint Watson as an sleazy sexual predator and Hardy will paint him as a young man confused by when a sex worker disguised as a massage therapist and when a massage therapist is just that.   

21 hours ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

And so it begins

They were one of the clubs under 50%.  Maybe this will get that rate up.  

16 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

this is Exactly what we need. An 3rd wide receiver to go with the other 11 on the roster. 

Chark can play the X better than anyone on the roster...

I'd be comfortable giving up a 2022 1st rd, 2022 2nd rd, 2023 1st rd, and Ertz for Watson. Next year's class is going to be a great/deep one compared to this past year.

21 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

They all have one lawyer........it's a class action suit.  And they already proposed a settlement that he declined.  So there's that.  

Not a class action suit.  Does not qualify as a class.  Actually it is 22 suits. 

45 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That formula doesn’t work when you suck at drafting

Building through the draft is generally the 'safe' route.  Sure, if you suck at it, you stay bad, but at least you stay bad and cheap and the mistakes made are relatively short term.   Building through free agency is a higher stakes game.  Faster rewards, but faster fall from grace if you play the risk game poorly.    But it really seems to hinge on the QB position.  If you have a QB on a rookie deal, you can buy pieces to put around him.   If you have a QB on a 2nd deal, the costs go up dramatically and you need to find the cheaper players to put around him through the draft.  You can't just buy when you fail to draft well in that case.   (Of course, the exception is the Patriots who were able to avoid the exorbitant QB costs by circumventing the salary cap rules.  For other NFL teams, it doesn't work that way.). 

48 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yeah, but now we’re taking guys who are hyper competitive Rock-Paper-Scissor players. 

The simple solution to when you are at the bottom of the barrel and you can't draft your way out of a wet paper bag... is that you bring in someone new to handle the drafting.   But, Howie has always been handicapped by 'football' people around him.  He's never had a chance to actually make the selections himself... except for the fact that he has final say in whom the team selects.  So, other than having the final say, he's really had no say.   Howie is just a victim of his circumstances... circumstances that he created for himself as the GM.  

14 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

They were one of the clubs under 50%.  Maybe this will get that rate up.  

Well he was vaccinated and got it prior to any team activities so not like he got it from some unvacconated player. 

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Building through the draft is generally the 'safe' route.  Sure, if you suck at it, you stay bad, but at least you stay bad and cheap and the mistakes made are relatively short term.   Building through free agency is a higher stakes game.  Faster rewards, but faster fall from grace if you play the risk game poorly.    But it really seems to hinge on the QB position.  If you have a QB on a rookie deal, you can buy pieces to put around him.   If you have a QB on a 2nd deal, the costs go up dramatically and you need to find the cheaper players to put around him through the draft.  You can't just buy when you fail to draft well in that case.   (Of course, the exception is the Patriots who were able to avoid the exorbitant QB costs by circumventing the salary cap rules.  For other NFL teams, it doesn't work that way.). 

Who are the recent teams built through free agency that achieved championship success? 

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Who are the recent teams built through free agency that achieved championship success? 

Philadelphia Eagles

1 minute ago, Khani1 said:

Does Gainwell have potential to be better than Sanders?

no

10 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Well he was vaccinated and got it prior to any team activities so not like he got it from some unvacconated player. 

There's no way they will ever really know who infected who.

40 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

How many of those teams traded up to get their guy? We also passed on Jones and Fields, so clearly we didn’t like them that much. We were at 6 and apparently had interest in trading up for Wilson, which would have cost significant assets.

Well, if the Eagles are sitting in the #25 or #27 draft slot like HOU and KC were -- maybe I'll have a different take.  Where the Eagles will be drafting in 2022 there will be an opportunity not to sell the farm for a QB prospect.  

11 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

2017 Eagles supplemented their drafted pieces with free agents.   

Offensively: Brooks, Peters (trade), Blount, Ajayi (trade), Jeffery, Smith
Defensively: Bradham, Jenkins, McLeod, Long, Robinson, Darby (trade)

There might be some others... Jake Elliott was technically a FA as well.

17 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’ll agree with the goff part. Goff held mcvay back not mcvay holding Goff back. I firmly think Stafford is a significant upgrade to Goff but that’s not really saying much i think Goff is not nearly as good as mcvay made him look  

Did he?   There are rumors about that but no real proof.  McVay gets anointed this wonder boy coach but really has little to back that up.  Now Nick Sirianni, that is a wonder boy coach that will make Jalen Hurts look like the next Tom Brady.

40 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The rare time Bacarty is right. 

I liked Trey Lance better than any QB in the draft class other than Lawrence; trading up to #3 to draft him was stupidity and an overpayment.   

17 hours ago, What The F said:

Gotta wonder what Hurts mindset is right now with all this Watson to Philly chat.  

He has a history of maturity and resilience at Alabama.  Probably just makes him work harder.  He mastered Lincoln Riley’s offense pretty quickly.  I doubt we have to worry a bit about Hurts’ mindset. 

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

They were 1-3 with a bottom 5 defense last year. a bottom 5 defense they spent 5, top 100 picks on. 

I think Micah Parsons is gonna be the real deal and I really like the DE from Iowa they got

They had a historically bad defense.  Parsons may help but LB was probably their strongest unit on defense.  It's also not like Quinn has had a great record as a defensive coach.  His teams were in the bottom half of the League in 4 out of the 6 seasons he was coaching in Atlanta.  They were in the bottom half of the league his last 3 seasons.  They have nothing at DT and their best DE, Lawrence, hasn't been anything but average over the last 2 seasons.  I'm not saying they can't be better.  I think they have significant talent problems on that side of the ball.  Of course, everyone thinks they are going to easily win the division.  

Archived