EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, MillerTime said:

There is no way. Unless he wanted to go 1-16. Then the fan outrage towards him would have been terrible. No riding GM would have even wanted the job

Well, there are some great additions made this past year.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think you are fooling yourself into think cap space pertaining to Goff contract didn’t play a major role in getting 2 firsts for Stafford. Yes it was strictly for Goff’s ability the lions did it :rolleyes:  

the general consensus is the Rams were forced to give up an extra first to take on that contract of 43 mil in guaranteed the next two years as Goff was underwhelming the last two years as he had 42 tds, 29 ints and along with 5 fumbles and a average QB rating of 88 combined. owed a ton money the next two years. They tried to read egoff no one wanted him. Nor that 43 mil in guaranteed especially when he was regressing under one for the best offensive minds in football in mcvay. I’m sure the lions were just thrilled to get that type of Qb who’s regressed under one of the best offensive minds in mcvay the last two years since signing that contract.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/here-is-why-the-rams-gave-up-so-much-to-get-matthew-stafford/ar-BB1dfBOt

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexreimer/2021/01/31/why-matthew-stafford-is-the-right-win-now-upgrade-for-los-angeles-rams/?sh=305d98fe76c5

The Rams will send the Lions a 2021 third-round pick, a first-round pick in 2022 and a first-round selection in 2023, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. They’re also jettisoning Goff to the Lions. Detroit will be on the hook for the remaining $43.325 million in guaranteed money on his deal.

Essentially, it cost the Rams an extra first-round pick to unload Goff. The Lions reportedly received interest from seven or eight teams offering first-round selections for Stafford.

Oh wait a guy who covers the Rams stating it 

I understand what the media has put out there regarding Goff's contract and that resulted in the compensation that the Rams gave up but as I said I'm not buying it.  I think that is just the Rams putting that out there to save face on how big of a price they gave up for Stafford.  Pretty much why I knew the Lions were never going to draft a QB in this previous draft as well.

But hey, keep your dreams alive that the Eagles will be able to trade for that sexual assaulting creep for the cheap.  As long as there are multiple teams bidding for Watson and he is open to going to those multiple teams then the price paid will be very high.  

18 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I understand what the media has put out there regarding Goff's contract and that resulted in the compensation that the Rams gave up but as I said I'm not buying it.  I think that is just the Rams putting that out there to save face on how big of a price they gave up for Stafford.  Pretty much why I knew the Lions were never going to draft a QB in this previous draft as well.

But hey, keep your dreams alive that the Eagles will be able to trade for that sexual assaulting creep for the cheap.  As long as there are multiple teams bidding for Watson and he is open to going to those multiple teams then the price paid will be very high.  

Yup it’s strictly the media not the cap numbers or his crappy declining performance the previous two year. Blame the media for his dead money and cap hit that prevented the Rams from doing anything to upgrade the position. Goff was always their bridge to the next QB they like. They don’t have to take a QB this year cause they knew they weren’t competing for anything so wait with assets til the right one comes along. Plus the only one there was fields who wasn’t exactly high on a bunch of peoples boards and the bama QB that fell to 15. And there was a SF beat writer that said the niners matched the first and 3rd but the extra 1st they got taking on Goff the niners wouldnt match for Stafford. So you not buying it means nothing cause that’s the reality of Goff’s contract situation  and it prohibited the Rams from doing anything to upgrade. 

Will do. And what i proposed wasn’t cheap. I said I’d do it for 2 firsts, conditional 3rd, hurts and another player. I wouldn’t do 3 firsts and all that  But please keep telling us about the good drafting the eagles have done that you mentioned earlier. 

28 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Well, there are some great additions made this past year.

They might be, they might not be. But to expect a different GM to do any different in the spot we were in is crazy. It’s not like hiring a new GM resets the mistakes of the last GM. I don’t like Howie. I want a new GM too. But any new GM would have been set up for failure this year and Lurie knew that. Howie is on thin ice but its better to let him fall through than anyone else. I think he did well with the cards this year. But if it fails than in 2023 we will have a new GM.

11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup it’s strictly the media not the cap numbers or his crappy declining performance the previous two year. Blame the media for his dead money and cap hit that prevented the Rams from doing anything to upgrade the position. Goff was always their bridge to the next QB they like. They don’t have to take a QB this year cause they knew they weren’t competing for anything so wait with assets til the right one comes along. Plus the only one there was fields who wasn’t exactly high on a bunch of peoples boards and the bama QB that fell to 15. And there was a SF beat writer that said the niners matched the first and 3rd but the extra 1st they got taking on Goff the niners wouldnt match for Stafford. So you not buying it means nothing cause that’s the reality of Goff’s contract situation  and it prohibited the Rams from doing anything to upgrade. 

Will do. And what i proposed wasn’t cheap. But please keep telling us about the solid drafting the eagles have done that you mentioned earlier. 

Yeah dude, tell me more how Howie is going to rebuild the defense and offensive line with no cap space and fewer draft picks that are of lower value.  Makes all the sense in the world.  GM isn't the best at drafting so make his job at drafting far more difficulty and we can expect better results.  The logic is good perfect to refute. 

11 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yeah dude, tell me more how Howie is going to rebuild the defense and offensive line with no cap space and fewer draft picks that are of lower value.  Makes all the sense in the world.  GM isn't the best at drafting so make his job at drafting far more difficulty and we can expect better results.  The logic is good perfect to refute. 

Please tell me how he’s going to build up the defense using those precious draft picks when he’s had 9 first and second round picks from 2016-2020 and missed on 5 so far and I’d argue 6 cause Barnett could be gone and not that nearly as good as where he went. That screams he’s going to not be like the raiders who blew most of their 5 firsts rounders in 2019 and 2020. That could never happen to the eagles with their current drafting 

Yup your plan seems like it has no flaws in it lol 

I know in RTK world we also ignore the new TV money that’s coming in 2023 which is expect to make the cap go up significantly starting in 2023 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Please tell me how he’s going to build up the defense using those precious draft picks when he’s had 9 first and second round picks from 2016-2020 and missed on 5 so far and I’d argue 6 cause Barnett could be gone and not that nearly as good as where he went. That screams he’s going to not be like the raiders who blew most of their 5 firsts rounders in 2019 and 2020. That could never happen to the eagles with their current drafting 

Yup your plan seems like it has no flaws in it lol 

Again what is the alternative?  Don't try to draft top young defensive talent and instead rebuild the defense through mid round picks and bargain bin free agent signings? That's the road to success? 

No the road to success for any team is through the draft. Use the draft capital and hope Gannon and the other new defensive coaching staff can help with their input in the draft process and then prove to be good developmental coaches.  

And Barnett might not be a cornerstone player and might be more expensive than he is worth when it comes to resigning him but he did play a big part in the biggest play in the Eagles Super Bowl win. 

24 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

They might be, they might not be. But to expect a different GM to do any different in the spot we were in is crazy. It’s not like hiring a new GM resets the mistakes of the last GM. I don’t like Howie. I want a new GM too. But any new GM would have been set up for failure this year and Lurie knew that. Howie is on thin ice but its better to let him fall through than anyone else. I think he did well with the cards this year. But if it fails than in 2023 we will have a new GM.

Is it though?   Or is he capable of actually digging the hole DEEPER than a new GM who isn't tied to any of the previous players.

And if he fails and then we make a change in 2023... and it means 2 more seasons before they are truly be bottomed out.   

48 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Again what is the alternative?  Don't try to draft top young defensive talent and instead rebuild the defense through mid round picks and bargain bin free agent signings? That's the road to success? 

No the road to success for any team is through the draft. Use the draft capital and hope Gannon and the other new defensive coaching staff can help with their input in the draft process and then prove to be good developmental coaches.  

And Barnett might not be a cornerstone player and might be more expensive than he is worth when it comes to resigning him but he did play a big part in the biggest play in the Eagles Super Bowl win. 

Where did I say that? I never said stop picking. However I do know if I keep a first round pick and a majority of my other picks, I don’t have to necessarily pick at those spots. I could trade back and get more picks like I did this year. You pretend like there’s no other way they can recover some of the draft capital they have to give up. You act like if they trade for Deshaun Watson they could never get any other picks or find ways to acquire picks. You are right howie has never done that or been that creative in acquiring draft picks or players  

Also just completely dismiss the fact in 2023 and tv money is going to kick in. So the cap worries are really in 2022 and restructuring him isn’t going to absolutely crush you in 2023 when the cap is expected to have a sizable increase (https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/3/23/22345865/nfl-free-agency-media-rights-deals-future-spending)

So because Derek Barnett had one really good fumble recovery in a Super Bowl game that justifies his overall performance over 4 years at 14? So cause Nelson agholor was good in 2017 and the super bowl it means he was also a good first round pick meanwhile 4 other years he was very underwhelming for this team

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Watson isn’t Lebron James.  The NFL isn’t the NBA.

Didn't say it is. But it's a cringey trend in this city for a town that hardly ever wins anything, to always stick the nose up at great players. And then whine when we never win anything. Can't have it both ways.

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Is it though?   Or is he capable of actually digging the hole DEEPER than a new GM who isn't tied to any of the previous players.

And if he fails and then we make a change in 2023... and it means 2 more seasons before they are truly be bottomed out.   

If the complaint is about him having ties to current players than sure. But he got rid of a lot of former players. 

7 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Didn't say it is. But it's a cringey trend in this city for a town that hardly ever wins anything, to always stick the nose up at great players. And then whine when we never win anything. Can't have it both ways.

We’ve won the Super Bowl more recently than 90% of NFL teams. 

32 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Where did I say that? I never said stop picking. However I do know if I keep a first round pick and a majority of my other picks, I don’t have to necessarily pick at those spots. I could trade back and get more picks like I did this year. You pretend like there’s no other way they can recover some of the draft capital they have to give up. You act like if they trade for Deshaun Watson they could never get any other picks or find ways to acquire picks. You are right howie has never done that or been that creative in acquiring draft picks or players  

Also just completely dismiss the fact in 2023 and tv money is going to kick in. So the cap worries are really in 2022 and restructuring him isn’t going to absolutely crush you in 2023 when the cap is expected to have a sizable increase (https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/3/23/22345865/nfl-free-agency-media-rights-deals-future-spending)

So because Derek Barnett had one really good fumble recovery in a Super Bowl game that justifies his overall performance over 4 years at 14? So cause Nelson agholor was good in 2017 and the super bowl it means he was also a good first round pick. 

Eagles won't have any first round picks next year to trade back from if they trade for Watson.  Cap won't be good for a long time even if Watson restructures.  This team will be bad if they trade ofr Watson.  It will be a long road to try to build a contender of they blow their resources on Watson.  This team is in one of the worst spots of any team in the league going forward when you look how screwed this defense is in the coming years.  Next years draft is supposed to be loaded in CBs and other defensive talent.  Trading for Watson would be a massive lost opportunity to really turn it around into making it a bright future for the defense. 

19 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

If the complaint is about him having ties to current players than sure. But he got rid of a lot of former players. 

You mean like Desean, Malik and Alshon?   Those were three huge mistakes and should have never been brought back, shouldn't have been given as big a deal as he was, and shouldn't have been resigned (in that order)... in other words, forced to correct some terrible mistakes... and in the meantime, the Eagles have a bigger cap hit for Desean than the 49ers, and the 49ers grossly overpaid him, just to give a sense for how bad a deal Howie gave to Desean.  

But, he didn't get rid of any players that he didn't have to.  None of these moves were shocking, or even surprising.  The surprising part was pushing dead money into 2022 for these one year deal players he just signed.  That was a mistake.  None of them are the difference between competitiveness and non-competitiveness for this team.  And for the record, I don't see this team being very competitive at all this season.   I foresee the Eagles earning a top 10 draft pick yet again... maybe even top 5.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You mean like Desean, Malik and Alshon?   Those were three huge mistakes and should have never been brought back, shouldn't have been given as big a deal as he was, and shouldn't have been resigned (in that order)... in other words, forced to correct some terrible mistakes... and in the meantime, the Eagles have a bigger cap hit for Desean than the 49ers, and the 49ers grossly overpaid him, just to give a sense for how bad a deal Howie gave to Desean.  

But, he didn't get rid of any players that he didn't have to.  None of these moves were shocking, or even surprising.  The surprising part was pushing dead money into 2022 for these one year deal players he just signed.  That was a mistake.  None of them are the difference between competitiveness and non-competitiveness for this team.  And for the record, I don't see this team being very competitive at all this season.   I foresee the Eagles earning a top 10 draft pick yet again... maybe even top 5.

You mean the rams with desean. And i disagree respectfully. We will see.

3 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

You mean the rams with desean. And i disagree respectfully. We will see.

Whichever.  Doesn't matter, they over paid.

13 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Eagles won't have any first round picks next year to trade back from if they trade for Watson.  Cap won't be good for a long time even if Watson restructures.  This team will be bad if they trade ofr Watson.  It will be a long road to try to build a contender of they blow their resources on Watson.  This team is in one of the worst spots of any team in the league going forward when you look how screwed this defense is in the coming years.  Next years draft is supposed to be loaded in CBs and other defensive talent.  Trading for Watson would be a massive lost opportunity to really turn it around into making it a bright future for the defense. 

Again you have your opinion on what it’s going to cost and i have mine. 

Yes they are screwed in 2023 with the cap they currently only have 81 mil in cap space according to spotrac. That doesn’t include the fact Cox is likely gone then. As well as kelce and slay very well might be cut that saves them 12 mil. So realistically before they even get Deshaun Watson, they could be under $100 million in cap in 2023 with a Cap of 225. which there’s a thought it would be closer to 236 in 2023.  So you’re gonna tell me what potentially over $100 million in cap space in 2023. That Deshaun Watson’s addition is just going to absolutely destroy their in 2023 cap when he restructure? And meanwhile you seem to believe howie Roseman isn’t going to restructure contracts whether or not Deshaun Watson is here and kicking the can down the road

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Whichever.  Doesn't matter, they over paid.

Agreed

38 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Again you have your opinion on what it’s going to cost and i have mine. 

Yes they are screwed in 2023 with the cap they currently only have 81 mil in cap space according to spotrac. That doesn’t include the fact Cox is likely gone then. As well as kelce and slay very well might be cut that saves them 12 mil. So realistically before they even get Deshaun Watson, they could be under $100 million in cap in 2023 with a Cap of 225. which there’s a thought it would be closer to 236 in 2023.  So you’re gonna tell me what potentially over $100 million in cap space in 2023. That Deshaun Watson’s addition is just going to absolutely destroy their in 2023 cap when he restructure? And meanwhile you seem to believe howie Roseman isn’t going to restructure contracts whether or not Deshaun Watson is here and kicking the can down the road

Yeah build through free agency.  Sounds like a winning formula. 

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yup that’s what i said :rolleyes:

meanwhile keep coming back with your argument they don’t have the cap space in order to trade for Deshaun Watson even if he restructures and still go out and sign guys.

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Absent the 22 now 24 women that have made sexual assault allegations, I don’t think anyone would question the trade. In any event, I don’t know what kind of influence you think fans have over what moves teams make. 

37 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

What is the winning formula?

23 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pull up a stump brother   Let’s sing a song   

image.gif

Ring of fire or jesus take the wheel?

or the kangaroo song?

Let’s do a "best shape of his life” pool. Whose the first player to report to camp to get that status. Rules are simple. Pick a player. Any coach, player himself, other player, beat writer or anonymous source that says that phrase first describing said player wins.

I’ll start, Jalen Reagor.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Let’s do a "best shape of his life” pool. Whose the first player to report to camp to get that status. Rules are simple. Pick a player. Any coach, player himself, other player, beat writer or anonymous source that says that phrase first wins.

I’ll start, Derek Barnett. 

Brandon brooks. 

Archived