EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Good for him. I remember him at Virginia Tech and never thought he would pan out trying to switch positions. He worked hard and has turned into a nice TE. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Taking Hurts b/c of intangibles in the late 2nd rd is exactly what you should do, the difference between say #53 and #70 is pretty marginal, but the difference top intangibles can potentially make is huge.  I mean Hurts certainly was a great athlete, had more than the minimum skills (arm strength, accuracy), had the college track record (people hold getting benched against him, but QBs transfer for playing time to inferior schools all the time - Hurts stuck it out then transferred to a top 10 program).

Doesn't mean he'll succeed, but the odds are far greater when the player works hard and is coachable.

Taking a QB in the 2nd round and undercutting your franchise QB who was a year away from starting his new mega-deal was a smart move, because Hurts has good intangibles?    I think the argument would be stronger if Hurts was a stud first round talent that magically slipped to the 2nd round, rather than a marginal 3rd round talent that the team reached for to grab him in Round 2.  It wasn't any type of 'value' pick.  It wasn't a 'need' pick.  It was 100% a 'we're smarter than everyone else' pick.  And so far it has backfired 100%.  If Hurts becomes a stud, then the move was genius and they absolutely were smarter than everyone else.  If its not a rousing success though, it was an epic failure.  There's really no in-between here.

9 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Taking Hurts b/c of intangibles in the late 2nd rd is exactly what you should do, the difference between say #53 and #70 is pretty marginal, but the difference top intangibles can potentially make is huge.  I mean Hurts certainly was a great athlete, had more than the minimum skills (arm strength, accuracy), had the college track record (people hold getting benched against him, but QBs transfer for playing time to inferior schools all the time - Hurts stuck it out then transferred to a top 10 program).

Doesn't mean he'll succeed, but the odds are far greater when the player works hard and is coachable.

and we all know that a backup qb is worth a 2bd round pick since you’d otherwise have to pay them $10m per year.  

Hurts has been discussed to death around here for over a year, since the 2020 draft.  And after 1 year of discussion, with a handful of games as additional fuel, no one can say one damn nice thing about Hurts as a passer.

Its all about leadership, attitude, character, and mobility.  When you have to lead with those things to hype a prospect…warning…warning…he might suck.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Hurts has been discussed to death around here for over a year, since the 2020 draft.  And after 1 year of discussion, with a handful of games as additional fuel, no one can say one damn nice thing about Hurts as a passer.

Its all about leadership, attitude, character, and mobility.  When you have to lead with those things to hype a prospect…warning…warning…he might suck.

Keyword^

No one knows for sure and it’s really hard to grade anyone based off of last year as it was a total ****show all around. Also we was a rookie. This year we find out if he fixes his mechanics and learns to move past his 1st/2nd read before taking off.

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

About half were in favor, about half against.  About the same as Watson now.  

This is true, but the context is what you aren't remembering. Bradford was a salvage project. He was the guy who had franchise QB ability but had never been a good QB. He had never shown himself to be "very good," just mediocre with huge physical upside. That upside was what had some people positive on the trade, though I think it was universally panned for the compensation. That's not the same with Watson. I don't think there are many that would disagree that Watson has at least been good. He's realized more of his potential than Bradford ever really did. That being said, given the state of his cases and the compensation, I'm against trying to get him, unless the former has had an extreme effect on the later.

Just now, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Keyword^

No one knows for sure and it’s really hard to grade anyone based off of last year as it was a total ****show all around. Also we was a rookie. This year we find out if he fixes his mechanics and learns to move past his 1st/2nd read before taking off.

Yes, he *might* suck and he might not.  But the fact that we can’t know for sure also doesn’t mean he’s owed this season as a starter.  

Most qbs at his level (both where he was drafted, where he was projected by most to be drafted, his level of passing refinement) never even get a commitment from their team to take the reins as the starter.  

So he’s not owed this.  He’s in this position because this *** show has no one else…and the GM is actively working to bring in someone else. Tried once to keep Wentz, tried once pre draft to trade for Watson, tried once to trade up in the draft for a better prospect, trying again to trade for Watson.  Pretty clear the Eagles don’t think much of his chances to hang on to the job.  

11 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the passes he can't make as a QB.  He impressed me as a passer as a rookie. 

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Yes, he *might* suck and he might not.  But the fact that we can’t know for sure also doesn’t mean he’s owed this season as a starter.  

Most qbs at his level (both where he was drafted, where he was projected by most to be drafted, his level of passing refinement) never even get a commitment from their team to take the reins as the starter.  

So he’s not owed this.  He’s in this position because this *** show has no one else…and the GM is actively working to bring in someone else. Tried once to keep Wentz, tried once pre draft to trade for Watson, tried once to trade up in the draft for a better prospect, trying again to trade for Watson.  Pretty clear the Eagles don’t think much of his chances to hang on to the job.  

Yeah I’m not saying he’s owed anything and I agree

How many teams in the NFL would trade their starting qb straight up for Hurts?

Not should.  How many NFL GMs straight up trade their starter for Hurts?   It might be 0.

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the passes he can't make as a QB.  He impressed me as a passer as a rookie. 

Every single pass where you throw to your second read from the pocket.

3 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Better chance of Hurts being a good QB or Fulgham being a good WR?

Hurts, actually 

Just now, eagle45 said:

Hurts, actually 

Lol that one was teed up for you. I’m excited to see Fulgham out there at camp. Hoping to see you eat crow on this.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Every single pass where you throw to your second read from the pocket.

But he did that. And that's just more development and coaching with learning an offense than anything else.  That's not a physical inability to make a certain pass. 

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

But he did that. And that's just more development and coaching with learning an offense than anything else.  That's not a physical inability to make a certain pass. 

He was extremely poor in the pocket and after his first read, can’t agree on that one.  

19 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

and we all know that a backup qb is worth a 2bd round pick since you’d otherwise have to pay them $10m per year.  

Thankfully we couldn’t pay for a veteran QB in 2020 when we were expecting to compete and during a pandemic. But we rectified that by in a rebuild signing Flacco to contract with 4 dummy years. 

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

He was extremely poor in the pocket and after his first read, can’t agree on that one.  

I disagree but again that is something that comes with development, expierence and coaching as he learns an offense. 

That isn't something he is incapable of doing due to some physical limitation.  That isn't a a throw he just isn't capable of making because he physically doesn't have the arm to make it. 

23 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Keyword^

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I disagree but again that is something that comes with development, expierence and coaching as he learns an offense. 

That isn't something he is incapable of doing due to some physical limitation.  That isn't a a throw he just isn't capable of making because he physically doesn't have the arm to make it. 

Honestly, I think Hurts did really well considering the mess of a situation he was put in. He was never meant to be ready in year 1, but gave the offense a jolt and looked like a playmaker. He made some really nice throws at times.

He has plenty to work on, but with a more stable line and Devonta Smith, I'm really excited about what Hurts can do and I'm surprised so many Eagles fans have pretty much given up on him already.

No to Watson, at least for now. Let's see what Hurts can do.

16 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

How many teams in the NFL would trade their starting qb straight up for Hurts?

Not should.  How many NFL GMs straight up trade their starter for Hurts?   It might be 0.

Maybe Denver?

I think New England was reportedly high on him pre-draft (2020). But they wouldn't trade for him now for sure.

Houston, maybe, but due to extreme circumstances, and they drafted a QB in the 2nd I think this year so likely not. 

Lions traded for Goff who I dont think they really like, but I don't think they'd trade for Hurts now either.

Maybe you could talk Atlanta into it, but that's due to nothing more than Ryan's age, and I don't think they'd even consider it honestly.

And that's about it.

Ugh. 

9 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Does that matter?  There are probably 60 qbs in the nfl physically capable of making all throws.

23 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

contra-indicator right there

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Does that matter?  There are probably 60 qbs in the nfl physically capable of making all throws.

Probably not, there are a lot of really bad passers out there. See our two backup QBs for that. 

2 hours ago, BigEFly said:

I think it is somewhat telling that Buzbee said his clients were not treated well by NFL investigators. I imagine there were questions about consensual sex, prostitution and the like.  Only talked with some of his clients too.  That causes my eyebrows to raise.  

In almost four decades of settling and overseeing settlement of cases, some of which included confidentiality clauses and involved the only time, including assault cases security allegations because perp assault isn’t covered), that we had confidentiality provisions was sealing friendly suits for abuse of minor cases (churches not the offending priest/preacher) to hide the child’s identity.  We probably had the request maybe a couple dozen times on the plaintiff side, fraud cases and a few trying to hide settlement from lien holders which is a type of fraud, and we always declined. (Heck, our offers were always contingent on resolution of all liens.) The fraudsters would drop their claims because, well public knowledge of their settlements made it harder for them to effectuate their next fraud attempt.)  I suspect you never asked for one considering you represent plaintiffs. 

Well it's not common to push for a confidentiality clause on the plaintiff's side and it is almost always wanted by the defense side. There are times when we want things confidential.   I am often dealing with large carriers but they insure all kinds of employers. If you get some small town employer that has an employee (like an office manager) that is going to tell everyone about the settlement making it a mutual clause is helpful.  

I mean there are cases where you get in and you realize someone is lying and that someone may be your client. I don't think confidentiality really helps those people.  Claims get indexed by carriers and the claims are all on on file with the state agency that is judicial body.  My other clients are not served by fraud as it drives up the cost and impacts legitimate claims.  I will say I see more employer fraud related to employee misclassification in order to reduce premiums than anything else.  I mean about every 4th case with a roofing company or painter they try to allege the employee was an independent contractor.  That's the kind of premium fraud that is rampant although I think they are trying to crack down on it.  

33 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Better chance of Hurts being a good QB or Fulgham being a good WR?

Fulgham I think could be an above average #2 receiver. 

Archived