EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

2 of 26 in that scenario.  That is not good at all.  Will be interesting to see the 2020 draft picks that make the final 53.

Looking back a little further, no players from the 2014 and 2015 draft class are still on the roster ( Chip ) and only 3 of the 17 from 2012 - 2013 class are still on the roster.

I’m really curious as to what the situation on goedert and his extension is. Is he asking for money than the eagles are willing to give for his career so far? Also If he doesn’t sign anything before the season, would he just play the season out and go to FA and test the market (unless the eagles franchise him). 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Well, if the Eagles are sitting in the #25 or #27 draft slot like HOU and KC were -- maybe I'll have a different take.  Where the Eagles will be drafting in 2022 there will be an opportunity not to sell the farm for a QB prospect.  

And that guy potentially being a bust. You sell the farm for Watson because you know he’s elite. 

47 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Well, if the Eagles are sitting in the #25 or #27 draft slot like HOU and KC were -- maybe I'll have a different take.  Where the Eagles will be drafting in 2022 there will be an opportunity not to sell the farm for a QB prospect.  

Imagine the Tatergeddon if the Eagles had the 1st and 32nd pick next year.............................................................................

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

Who on this roster is Howie going to trade for a first exactly? 

Missed the point.  That was an example of a past move that recouped it.    I already mentioned that they could move back in the first round, recoup a 1st for the future and a slightly later pick for the current year to help recoup picks.  

The Eagles did that this very year... they moved from #6 to #12, and recouped one of the extra first for next year.  They could have moved up to #10, and then back again to #19 this past year and gotten even more (they chose not to, and the Giants took that deal instead).  Granted.. they'd have moved from #6 all the way to #19 to do it, but it would have gotten them not 1, but 2 extra firsts in 2022, and a little bit more.   So, let's not pretend like its impossible to do, or frankly, even that hard to do.  The Eagles could have done it just last year, and they HAVE done it in other years.  Not to mention that other teams have as well.  It's a common practice in the NFL for a team to do that, at least one, almost every year.   They could also trade out of Round 2 entirely and recoup a 1st for the following year, being the recipient of a Bobby Beathard style trade... he did that quite frequently as well.  In other words, there's more than one way to recoup first round picks.

43 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I liked Trey Lance better than any QB in the draft class other than Lawrence; trading up to #3 to draft him was stupidity and an overpayment.   

Oh, I hated the trade up for him, but the point being that not every QB is the right fit for what you want. It’s not as simple as take QB3 if the first two are gone. If you see a guy you believe is the guy, you get him. And that’s expensive. We saw that with Wentz. The jump from 8 to 2 was very expensive. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

And that guy potentially being a bust. You sell the farm for Watson because you know he’s elite. 

Again, what makes Watson elite?  One statistically great season when his team won 4 games? 

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Again, what makes Watson elite?  One statistically great season when his team won 4 games? 

I don’t care to argue semantics. Call him very good then. 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m really curious as to what the situation on goedert and his extension is. Is he asking for money than the eagles are willing to give for his career so far? Also If he doesn’t sign anything before the season, would he just play the season out and go to FA and test the market (unless the eagles franchise him). 

The way these players fall apart after the eagles sign them early, I would wait if I were them. I know I'm not complaining, because Goedert hasn't proven anything yet, especially if he can stay healthy a whole season that he has yet to do. 

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Its Ertz. They can't extend him until they open up some money because Goedert's cap hit is already so low at $1.7M it's only going to go up. It would also be really awkward to give Goedert a big pay day with Ertz still on the roster. Personally, I don't think the breakout Goedert season happens, so I would hold off on giving him a big money extension. Worse comes to worse just tag him next year. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

Oh, I hated the trade up for him, but the point being that not every QB is the right fit for what you want. It’s not as simple as take QB3 if the first two are gone. If you see a guy you believe is the guy, you get him. And that’s expensive. We saw that with Wentz. The jump from 8 to 2 was very expensive. 

Thank you I’ve been making this point as well for a couple days now.

Not only that you might not be able to move up high enough to get the guy you truly covet or another team might covet the same player that’s picking in a spot where you can’t leap them.  Add if they do give draft capital and acquire him that doesn’t mean he pans out. He might just be a bust like Mitchell Trubisky or doesn’t meet expectations. My point is it’s not a given to just simply workout in your favor cause you are ready for that Qb and you want that specific QB 

I don’t care to argue semantics. Call him very good then. 

So you would sell the farm for a "very good” QB?  In the middle of a rebuild when you have a potentially "very good” QB in Hurts who has yet to showcase himself? 

Bradford was consider a "very good” QB as well when we acquired him.  How did that work out?  Pretty bad, imo, considering the guy we gave up for him came back and became Super Bowl MVP. 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The way these players fall apart after the eagles sign them early, I would wait if I were them. I know I'm not complaining, because Goedert hasn't proven anything yet, especially if he can stay healthy a whole season that he has yet to do. 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Its Ertz. They can't extend him until they open up some money because Goedert's cap hit is already so low at $1.7M it's only going to go up. It would also be really awkward to give Goedert a big pay day with Ertz still on the roster. Personally, I don't think the breakout Goedert season happens, so I would hold off on giving him a big money extension. Worse comes to worse just tag him next year. 

Tbh i like goedert but i wouldn’t want to pay him significant money at the moment. I probably agree just tag him next year. I tend to agree i thought last year would be a breakout year for him but he had some injury problems along with QB play and at times just underwhelming. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh i like goedert but i wouldn’t want to pay him significant money at the moment. I probably agree just tag him next year. I tend to agree i thought last year would be a breakout year for him but he had some injury problems along with QB play and at times just underwhelming. 

He had a case of the dropsies too... Then again we kept predicting an Ertz break out year and then it happened. Either way they should still wait

7 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

So you would sell the farm for a "very good” QB?  In the middle of a rebuild when you have a potentially "very good” QB in Hurts who has yet to showcase himself? 

Bradford was consider a "very good” QB as well when we acquired him.  How did that work out?  Pretty bad, imo, considering the guy we gave up for him came back and became Super Bowl MVP. 

Lol. Bradford absolutely was not considered a very good QB. 

17 hours ago, NCiggles said:

I wonder if signing a confidentiality agreement would impact the discipline decision by the NFL.  

I think it is somewhat telling that Buzbee said his clients were not treated well by NFL investigators. I imagine there were questions about consensual sex, prostitution and the like.  Only talked with some of his clients too.  That causes my eyebrows to raise.  

In almost four decades of settling and overseeing settlement of cases, some of which included confidentiality clauses and involved the only time, including assault cases security allegations because perp assault isn’t covered), that we had confidentiality provisions was sealing friendly suits for abuse of minor cases (churches not the offending priest/preacher) to hide the child’s identity.  We probably had the request maybe a couple dozen times on the plaintiff side, fraud cases and a few trying to hide settlement from lien holders which is a type of fraud, and we always declined. (Heck, our offers were always contingent on resolution of all liens.) The fraudsters would drop their claims because, well public knowledge of their settlements made it harder for them to effectuate their next fraud attempt.)  I suspect you never asked for one considering you represent plaintiffs. 

11 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Did you and i watch the same sam Bradford with the rams? He had 7 good games his last year with the Rams before he got hurt. His three previous seasons he had a 60% completion, 45 tds, 34 ints and 24 fumbles.

Just pointing out deshaun Watson’s worse season as a starter would be Bradford’s best season of his career. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Did you and i watch the same sam Bradford with the rams? He had 7 good games his last year with the Rams before he got hurt. His three previous seasons he had a 60% completion, 45 tds, 34 ints and 24 fumbles.

Just pointing out deshaun Watson’s worse season as a starter would be Bradford’s best season of his career. 

Watson is at worst a top 10 QB. Ace is drinking again. 

I have a question (and let me preface this by saying, I think a blind monkey humping a football could make better picks than Howie).......Let's just say, Hurts comes in and becomes a top 5 QB (and let me preface this by saying, I think the blind monkey might have a better shot).....but let's just say he somehow channels his inner Brady, gets pissed, becomes something incredible.......do we then look back at Howie as a genius for drafting him, trading Wentz and getting draft picks back for him?  That's a whole lot of if's but just playing out the scenario in my head.......

Just now, ManuManu said:

Really?  I was never high on him but most (including this blog) thought we had "finally” acquired a "true” franchise QB at the time.  

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I hope he means he was considered a very good QB prospect. 

Just now, NYEagle said:

I have a question (and let me preface this by saying, I think a blind monkey humping a football could make better picks than Howie).......Let's just say, Hurts comes in and becomes a top 5 QB (and let me preface this by saying, I think the blind monkey might have a better shot).....but let's just say he somehow channels his inner Brady, gets pissed, becomes something incredible.......do we then look back at Howie as a genius for drafting him, trading Wentz and getting draft picks back for him?  That's a whole lot of if's but just playing out the scenario in my head.......

Nope because everything Howie did leading up to hurts even becoming a starter is because Howie sucks. 

Watson is at worst a top 10 QB. Ace is drinking again. 

The only reason Bradford still had high regard in the league was because of what he showed at Oklahoma and people thought he could still be that Qb. Cause his performance in the nfl up to that point was injury after injury and really he didn’t look good. 

wasn’t there also a story that pat shurmur was the one pushing for it cause of his time with the Rams? 

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yea, the only time anybody was remotely positive about that trade was when we thought it was Bradford and a 2 for Foles. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

You won’t catch me defending Bradford.  I was never high on him but at the time, half the fan base (or more) thought he was the answer. 

3 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Really?  I was never high on him but most (including this blog) thought we had "finally” acquired a "true” franchise QB at the time.  

I don’t think you’re remembering the Blog’s reaction very well. 

Archived