EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bpac55 said:

Sanders can't be relied on.  Howard and Scott are nice role players.  Get a legit RB behind this line and you could have a 100 yard rusher every week.  

I'd love to see them go after Leonard Fournette on a 2-year deal, draft someone like Isaiah Spiller or Kyren Williams and mix in some Kenny Gainwell....that would be a nice backfield. 

I like the thought but Fournette always seems to be banged up as well.

They should be taking a RB in the draft just about every year,  around the 3rd to 5th round, depending on the players.  They don't last and you're not gonna pay them so keep replenishing the group thru the draft.

33 minutes ago, mattwill said:

I was much more interested in what you might think was "good value"

Depending on the team, if it were just him,  I'd guess we'd get aa 2nd or 3rd.  He hasn't really shown anything that would lead him to exceed his original draft grade.   

It's probably more likely that he is packaged to be part of a bigger deal for a premier QB.

But I am no expert on that value subject.  i just can't imagine giving him a 2nd contract based on how QBs are currently paid, nor can I see him just being allowed to walk.

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Sanders can't be relied on.  Howard and Scott are nice role players.  Get a legit RB behind this line and you could have a 100 yard rusher every week.  

I'd love to see them go after Leonard Fournette on a 2-year deal, draft someone like Isaiah Spiller or Kyren Williams and mix in some Kenny Gainwell....that would be a nice backfield. 

2 RBs I really like in the draft are Brian Robinson Jr. from Bama and Tavion Thomas from Utah. Both are in Howard mold with added speed, and are likely day 3 picks.

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Depending on the team, if it were just him,  I'd guess we'd get aa 2nd or 3rd.  He hasn't really shown anything that would lead him to exceed his original draft grade.   

It's probably more likely that he is packaged to be part of a bigger deal for a premier QB.

But I am no expert on that value subject.  i just can't imagine giving him a 2nd contract based on how QBs are currently paid, nor can I see him just being allowed to walk.

I'm willing to bet some team would give you a first for him.  Passing wise I agree with you but he does win games (trade him before we play somebody good)

4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

If we do trade for Wilson, which I fully expect Howie to try his best, I think you'll see Hurts being part of that package.

A cheap replacement for Seattle while they rebuild their roster, and one less pick we have to send their way.

54 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

So we are 0-4 against playoff teams all in the first quarter of the season when they went pass happy with a QB that isn't good at passing. 

If they play those teams now, it will be much more competitive.  As long as they stick to running the ball of course. 

The offense has gained an identity and I agree with a healthy Swag and OL they can be competitive if everything stays on schedule (run heavy, no penalties, no drops, no particularly stingy defense, no RZ cutiness), but…

there’s the other side of the ball, that’s basically gotten a reprieve for last 2 months. I haven’t forgotten what every good QB has done to this defense - it was an embarrassment.  This is why I want the DAL game to be a play in, and am not particularly excited about a meaningless week 18.  That’s assuming we take care of business this week.

Guest justrelax
6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

2 RBs I really like in the draft are Brian Robinson Jr. from Bama and Tavion Thomas from Utah. Both are in Howard mold with added speed, and are likely day 3 picks.

I like Hassan Haskins. He always gets what’s there. With this OL, that’s a lot. Sanders frustrates me too often.

53 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

So we are 0-4 against playoff teams all in the first quarter of the season when they went pass happy with a QB that isn't good at passing. 

If they play those teams now, it will be much more competitive.  As long as they stick to running the ball of course. 

We can’t run the ball if we get behind early against these teams. We need the defense to stop someone, and they haven’t shown they can stop an average QB yet. 

According to Sirianni, Hurts played great. He only had two bad plays, the almost INT and the fumble. 

1 hour ago, vikas83 said:

I think this is the key, and it is also at the root of why some people seem so "harsh" on Hurts. The team overall is outperforming expectations, mainly thanks to the offensive line and Sirianni tailoring the offense around Hurts' strengths and weaknesses. I didn't expect to be playing meaningful games in January, and I definitely would have bet against that if you told me we'd lose both Brooks and Seumalo for the year. Dickerson has been amazing, and Stoutland keeps getting solid play from no name guys (Herbig, Opeta, etc.). And frankly Nick is looking like a very good hire.

The issue is many people, myself included, believe Hurts' ceiling is not high enough to be a championship QB. I think Hurts is a great backup QB (I am always a fan of a mobile QB as a backup) or bridge starter. But to beat the elite teams like GB, KC, etc. - you need more. What I'm not interested in seeing is the Eagles buying into Hurts as the long term QB based on the team's success, when it appears we could be so much more with an upgraded QB. Hurts should NOT go into next year as the unquestioned starter, IMO. But the constant drumbeat from both the local and national media is the Eagles have their guy.

Now, I'm not sure I see the right guy in the 2022 draft, and I'd rather spend those picks rebuilding an aging defense. I'd be OK with signing someone to come in and compete (e.g., Mariota) as opposed to trading all our picks for Wilson. But in order to win a championship, we're going to need to upgrade at QB at some point.

You don't know football, give the first-time starter a chance, you're racist, you're a hater, you're a Wentz fanboy, you just want the team to fail

That's the responses I see with even levelheaded criticism

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

This is exactly the point.  I'd love to keep Hurts on the team as the backup.  I'd even be open to giving him a gadget type roster spot if he was open to that (which I'm sure he wouldn't be but that's another item).  What I don't want to do is to act as if we have our guy.

As a gadget? Yikes. Please no

Just now, Mike030270 said:

How long has it been for Brooks? Feels like months

Over 3 months now. Was supposedly just a strain and up to 8 weeks out.

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

How long has it been for Brooks? Feels like months

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I like Hassan Haskins. He always gets what’s there. With this OL, that’s a lot. Sanders frustrates me too often.

Haskins is great, but I think he'll be a day 2 pick, a little rich for my RB devaluing blood.

53 minutes ago, mattwill said:

You cite that as if it is Gospel.  I'll take probability over Gospel any day ... and possibility over absolutism as well.

Getting the chance to see what the possibilities are is my bottom-line.  I believe we are playing with house money at this point.

Yes sir I'm with ya, let's enjoy it.  We can do that and still know that we are a flawed and very mediocre team with almost no chance of anything more than perhaps one big upset if the the ball bounces just right that day.

Eagles are 13th in total yards, 9th in yards per play, 13th in net yards per attempt, tied at 12th in offensive points per game at 24.2.  Only 9 teams are clearly better.

TB, 28.6, Buffalo 28.0, Rams 27.2, KC 26.7, Cincy 26.8, Chargers 26.7, Indy 26.6, Dallas 26.3, Zona 25.8, then GB 24.6, Patriots 24.5, Minn, SF 24.2

Sure, they can do better than Hurts, but they can also do a lot worse. Bigger gap between Eagles and the bad offenses than the top offenses.

Miami with Tua 18.9.

Cleveland with Mayfield 20.0

Tennessee with Tannhell 21.9

It's not worth moving on from Hurts for a rookie who might be better in 3 years, or a second tier veteran QB who'll pass better but be less effective overall.

You make a move for a real upgrade at an acceptable cost, otherwise, you keep your eyes open and continue to work with Hurts.

9 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

As a gadget? Yikes. Please no

By that I mean as the full on backup QB but with a set of plays ala Taysom Hill plus some other possibilities.  Hurts is a baller and as much as some like to joke that swag of his has real value.

24 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

According to Sirianni, Hurts played great. He only had two bad plays, the almost INT and the fumble. 

He doesn’t believe that, but he isn’t going to say that in the media. 

1 minute ago, WentzFan11 said:

He doesn’t believe that, but he isn’t going to say that in the media. 

I tend to agree, but then he's blaming others to the media like Sanders.  

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I tend to agree, but then he's blaming others to the media like Sanders.  

Sanders isn’t recouping the Eagles a 1st round pick this off-season.

Archived