EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I know many don't like "backing into the playoffs", but per NYT...

Miami (-3) over NO tonight
Eagles (-4) over WFT week 17
GB (-6.5) over MIN week 17

we get in if the Rams beat the Niners week 18, regardless of our result.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/upshot/philadelphia-eagles-nfl-playoff-picture.html#no-mia-16=loss&no-car-17=win&was-phi-17=loss&sf-hou-17=win&gb-min-17=win&atl-no-18=loss&min-chi-18=win&phi-dal-18=loss&lar-sf-18=win

Groan… thanks for laying it out, all the same.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I assumed you were talking about the entire first round pick package, only one pick of which we have any control over. So based on your complaint about their devaluing their draft, I can only assume that you want them to lose every game every year, just for the enjoyment that you get every April. It's the kind of excitement that Lions, Jaguars, and Jets fans have been celebrating for the past decade.

Not sure how you take that from my original comment either. 

Once again, making the playoffs does very little for the future of this team.  While it was fun for a stretch to watch the RB's completely run through their opponents, not calling the baby ugly has led to running an offense that is hindering the development of skill players.  They spent the early part of the season testing Hurts ability to run an actual NFL offense, it didn't go well.  Siri adjusted the O and now they've beat up some very terrible teams.  Cool we won a bunch of games and what is there to show?  That Dickerson and JM are cornerstones for the future, Kelce is going to be sorely missed next year.  Our potential franchise WR is being asked to play CB 50% of the time he's targeted.  It's hard to evaluate the defense properly due to spending way too much time on the field because the O couldn't move the ball, or the polar opposite, we're grinding out long drives and dominating TOP.

The fact that having any form of a decent draft pick is an after thought at this point. 

The point is....Given the state and things that have happened with the FO the past few years you really think they should be given that inch of apparent success so they can run a mile with it?  

27 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

For "people".  Siranni tested positive on Wednesday if I recall and was on the sidelines surrounded by at least 100 people.  Let's be real.  People are folks like you and me. 

59 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

You'd rather they keep losing the entire season on purpose to secure a better draft pick?

/Insert Herm Edward rant

Sure, since reading comprehension is hard...that's exactly what was said.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

He also threw Miles Sanders under the buss saying he drifted to 8 yards and Hurts threw it to 5 yards. 

If it's the play I'm thinking in the flat you lead the WR where he's headed, not close your eyes and hope he goes where he's supposed to

Marvin Harrison would practice the route tree before games, he focused on making the exact cut at the right spot on the tree. Why? Because when he cane out of that cut, he wanted his QB to know where he was going to be and not have to look for him - so the QB can go through progressions quickly b/c his targets are where they're supposed to be.

Sirianni coached receivers, you know he expects them to run routes correctly and help their QB. When your receivers don't run the route correctly, the QB has to search for them which slows the QB's decision making down, when a receiver rounds off a route, it's harder to get separation and give the QB an open target.

The three most important attributes in a receiver?  Route running, body control and hands. 40 time is way down on the list, behind quickness and explosion.

There's a reason why some of the top WRs of all time, like Isaac Bruce, lacked both size and speed, because they played the position correctly. And a lot of that is just plain hard worki.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Marvin Harrison would practice the route tree before games, he focused on making the exact cut at the right spot on the tree. Why? Because when he cane out of that cut, he wanted his QB to know where he was going to be and not have to look for him - so the QB can go through progressions quickly b/c his targets are where they're supposed to be.

Sirianni coached receivers, you know he expects them to run routes correctly and help their QB. When your receivers don't run the route correctly, the QB has to search for them which slows the QB's decision making down, when a receiver rounds off a route, it's harder to get separation and give the QB an open target.

The three most important attributes in a receiver?  Route running, body control and hands. 40 time is way down on the list, behind quickness and explosion.

There's a reason why some of the top WRs of all time, like Isaac Bruce, lacked both size and speed, because they played the position correctly. And a lot of that is just plain hard worki.

While there is so much merit to this, we have a QB that is pretty allergic to anticipation routes, going through progressions or just keeping his eyes downfield in general.  I'm not sure what throw was being referenced in the OP, but there was a lot of off target balls on Sunday, to go with some horrible drops as well.

10 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Marvin Harrison had Peyton Manning.  Isaac Bruce had Kurt Warner (for majority of time).  Possibly 2 of the greatest QBs of all time when it comes to ball placement.  They would take their drop and put the ball EXACTLY where it had to be, not just because Harrison and Bruce ran precise routes but because they COULD put the ball where they wanted.  They could close their eyes and throw the ball where it needed to be.

DeVonta Smith has Jalen Hurts, a guy who runs in circles behind his protection with his back to the LOS.  Smith can run his routes as perfect as he can until he's blue in the face.  Hurts can't even sniff the farts of those guys when it comes to QB talent. 

52 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I know many don't like "backing into the playoffs", but per NYT...

Miami (-3) over NO tonight
Eagles (-4) over WFT week 17
GB (-6.5) over MIN week 17

we get in if the Rams beat the Niners week 18, regardless of our result.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/upshot/philadelphia-eagles-nfl-playoff-picture.html#no-mia-16=loss&no-car-17=win&was-phi-17=loss&sf-hou-17=win&gb-min-17=win&atl-no-18=loss&min-chi-18=win&phi-dal-18=loss&lar-sf-18=win

Can you explain how the 49ers game against the Rams would matter to us if the Eagles beat Washington, the Packers beat the Vikings, and the Saints lose one of their next two? It seems to me that we'd have it clinched already. If not, why not? What am I missing?

6 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

While there is so much merit to this, we have a QB that is pretty allergic to anticipation routes, going through progressions or just keeping his eyes downfield in general.  I'm not sure what throw was being referenced in the OP, but there was a lot of off target balls on Sunday, to go with some horrible drops as well.

The throw in the flat to Sanders where Hurts missed him by a good mark. 

But, you are very correct... for any of what afan just mentioned to matter, the QB needs to be a technician as well, not a backyard scramble drill player who waits to see his receiver open before he lets it go.

24 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Can you explain how the 49ers game against the Rams would matter to us if the Eagles beat Washington, the Packers beat the Vikings, and the Saints lose one of their next two? It seems to me that we'd have it clinched already. If not, why not? What am I missing?

Would the Eagles get the short end of the stick in the event of a SF-PHI-ATL tiebreaker at 9-8?  Not likely, as the Falcons lost to both teams 

2 hours ago, mattwill said:

I was going through the players under contract looking at the 2022 Roster projection.  Scott is a RFA and I think we should let him walk and insert a drafted RB in that roster slot. Sanders and Gainwell are under contract, and I'd be surprised if they aren't both back in 2022.  Jordan Howard is a UFA.  I'd be inclined to offer him the Vets Minimum and hope he takes it.  Regardless, I expect at least two Rookie RBs in Training Camp ... probably one from Day Three of the Draft and one as a UDFA.

One other bit of information I found in that 2022 Roster projection process is that according to Spotrac.com for the 2022 season Branden Brooks has $1,564,737 of Signing Bonus still due, $5,040,000 of Option Bonus still due, and $9,132,000 of Restructure Bonus still due.  That totals to $15, 736,474 of Dead Cap if he is released.  At the same time his 2022 Base Salary of $13,400,000 and Workout Bonus of $100,000 will not have to be paid, so the net Cap impact of cutting him is only $2,236,474 of net Dead Cap.

1 minute ago, mattwill said:

One other bit of information I found in that 2022 Roster projection process is that according to Spotrac.com for the 2022 season Branden Brooks has $1,564,737 of Signing Bonus still due, $5,040,000 of Option Bonus still due, and $9,132,000 of Restructure Bonus still due.  That totals to $15, 736,474 of Dead Cap if he is released.  At the same time his 2022 Base Salary of $13,400,000 and Workout Bonus of $100,000 will not have to be paid, so the net Cap impact of cutting him is only $2,236,474 of net Dead Cap.

They have to do something. He's not healthy enough

He'll likely go somewhere and never get injured again though

4 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Given the amount of $ involved, he’s a likely June 1st designation.

45 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

If the Niners lose to the Texans but beat the Rams, we'd be in a three-way 9-8 tie with NO and SF.  Saints get #6 by Strength of Victory.  Niners get #7 over us by Head-2-Head.

If the Niners beat the Texans and lose to the Rams, their conference record is worse than ours and NO.  We are #6 and NO is # 7.

6 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

If the Niners lose to the Texans but beat the Rams, we'd be in a three-way 9-8 tie with NO and SF.  Saints get #6 by Strength of Victory.  Niners get #7 over us by Head-2-Head

That depends which game the Saints lose. If they lose tonight but win next week, you're right. If they win tonight but lose next week, it's us and SF.

8 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Given the amount of $ involved, he’s a likely June 1st designation.

Yeah, given how well Driscoll played in his absence, Herbig as well, coupled with Isaac's return, I don't see any room for Brooks.

Just beat Taylor Ham and get in. They lost by like 86 points yesterday. If Eagles lose they don’t deserve playoffs 

Simplest path to the playoffs is a win next week, Saints' loss tonight, Vikings' loss to GB next week, plus a 49ers win vs Houston OR 49ers lose out. 

10 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Simplest path to the playoffs is a win next week, Saints' loss tonight, and Vikings' loss to GB next week, plus a 49ers win vs Houston OR 49ers lose out. 

I feel like you said simple then made it complicated

It's weird, doesn't this makes us getting the 7th seed slightly more difficult? but at the same time the 6 seed more likely?

Stupid tiebreakers.

1 minute ago, Mike31mt said:

I feel like you said simple then made it complicated

Looks simpler this way:

Saints lose tonight
Eagles beat WFT
Packers beat Vikings
49ers beat Texans OR 49ers lose out

Archived