EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

No I believe it’s a lot more than that. 

That's what the value chart says, the difference in picks is 200 points - worth a mid 3rd rounder.

This is the closest precedent I could find at first glance:

Baltimore traded first- and fifth-round selections (16th and 154th) to Buffalo in exchange for Buffalo's first and third round selections (22nd and 65th)

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

What's it take to trade from 20 to 15? a 3rd round pick?

Yeah, give me playoffs over that any day

Thanks, Pepp!

8 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Roughly the 78th pick in the draft. In other words a mid-3rd. 

One advantage to making the playoffs this season that i haven't seen mentioned yet -  it makes it a lot easier to recruit good veteran FAs to come play here.

2 minutes ago, notgetleft said:

One advantage to making the playoffs this season that i haven't seen mentioned yet -  it makes it a lot easier to recruit good veteran FAs to come play here.

If Kelce sticks around for another year because of the playoffs, that would be excellent.

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

I remember the playoff game vs the Giants when we were given no chance to beat them.  They were the defending SB champs, we went into their house and beat them.  One of the best games I've watched and enjoyed just because we basically had no shot to win yet we did.

Just get in and see what happens.  A better draft pick doesn't guarantee anything either.

That was a great game, great playoff run. Still chuckle when I think of this:

image.png.9449a919dcfdc6061fb5ca78b9a7d6a0.png

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

The draft pick in itself is an asset. What you do with that asset depends upon the decision makers, but I'll still take the better asset 10 times out of 10 even if it may be blown by foolishness on occasion.

And it could have value in a trade in a variety of ways. Either for a player or trading down for a future draft pick to acquire draft capital in a year with a better QB class. There's so many ways a draft pick has value.

The Eagles haven't beaten a good team all year. 0-6 against teams with winning records. Getting into the playoffs to get trounced by the #2 seed is akin to having sex with a prostitute. It'll feel good in the moment, but once it's over you're gonna be like oh crap that was stupid of me and every time your balls itch worry you got an STD.

Um…you get what you pay for bro. Pay up for higher class prostitutes and you won’t have these issues. 

Let me get this straight, using #53 on a QB is a waste, even when the QB might get you to the playoffs the next season, but missing the playoffs to move up 3 spots in the draft is worthwhile. I know this makes sense in some universe.

Losing teams develop a mentalite that leads to more losing, and corrupts young players drafted and otherwise obtained by those teams.

Winning teams have a culture that raises expectations for players and the team as a whole, and players tend to play up to those expectations.

And anything can happen in the playoffs, as Eagle fans should be well aware.

Everyone should want the Eagles to make the playoffs this season, because it creates higher expectations faster.  A 9-8 or 10-7 record this year creates expectations for 11-12 wins next season, and faster answers as to who is holding the roster back.

The expectations for a first round draft pick should always be to make the roster and be a starter.  Three first round picks is a great thing, no matter where they end up being.  There will be ample opportunities to get 3 starting players on Night One of the draft 

The end game is to be positioned well to get a star franchise QB. 

We were able to do that in 2016.  How did that work out?

The draft pick in itself is an asset. What you do with that asset depends upon the decision makers, but I'll still take the better asset 10 times out of 10 even if it may be blown by foolishness on occasion.

And it could have value in a trade in a variety of ways. Either for a player or trading down for a future draft pick to acquire draft capital in a year with a better QB class. There's so many ways a draft pick has value.

The Eagles haven't beaten a good team all year. 0-6 against teams with winning records. Getting into the playoffs to get trounced by the #2 seed is akin to having sex with a prostitute. It'll feel good in the moment, but once it's over you're gonna be like oh crap that was stupid of me and every time your balls itch worry you got an STD.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

If we sucked, like last year, then I would rather lose out.  Movement within the single digits matters.

But if the playoffs are within reach, the marginal value between 15-20 isn't worth giving up on the opportunity to play another game.

Although it varies from Draft to Draft, I would argue that after the first wave of the very best talent in the top 10 to 15 picks, the talent difference between players from 15 through the late 2nd Round is minimal.  I would not be at all upset if two of the three Eagles 1st Round picks was traded down into the 2nd Round.  Think of the following trade from the 2018 Draft as a template:

No. 14: Green Bay → New Orleans (D). Green Bay traded a first-round selection (14th) to New Orleans in exchange for New Orleans's first- and fifth-round selections (27th and 147th) and a first-round selection in 2019.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

No. 10: Denver → Pittsburgh (D). Denver traded a first-round selection (10th) to Pittsburgh in exchange for Pittsburgh's first- and second-round selections (20th and 52nd) as well as their third-round selection in 2020.

No. 10: Oakland → Arizona (D). Oakland traded a first-round selection (10th) to Arizona in exchange for Arizona's first-, third-, and fifth-round selections (15th, 79th, and 152nd).

33 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Well we won a SB because we had a QB playing well enough to get us the one seed home field advantage. We don't win without that. So pretty good. Of course Howie screwed up by taking a QB in the second when we needed other things. 

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Well we won a SB because we had a QB playing well enough to get us the one seed home field advantage. We don't win without that. So pretty good. 

Agreed ... and I still remember the euphoria of going to the 1960 NFL Championship game at Franklin Field with my Dad.  Winning it all is very special.  However, the thrust of the argument being put forth has been the desire to have a long term (Rodgers-like) franchise QB. 

I didn’t think this needed to be said, but you shouldn’t be raw doggin’ prostitutes under any circumstances, guys.

Stick to friend’s moms and sisters. 😉

2 hours ago, mattwill said:

Super Bowl Champs

The team from Dallas are going to crap the bed aren’t they ? It’s not happening as soon as it normally does which is slightly worrying if I’m being honest. Jesus just imagine if they did win it all, you’d never hear the end of it.

4 hours ago, mattwill said:

Agreed ... and I still remember the euphoria of going to the 1960 NFL Championship game at Franklin Field with my Dad.  Winning it all is very special.  However, the thrust of the argument being put forth has been the desire to have a long term (Rodgers-like) franchise QB. 

We had one but we pissed it all away. BTW Rodgers has only won one Super Bowl just like Wentz/Foles

4 hours ago, Know Life said:

I didn’t think this needed to be said, but you shouldn’t be raw doggin’ prostitutes under any circumstances, guys.

Stick to friend’s moms and sisters. 😉

This isn't what's up

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Using #53 on a flawed QB who should have went in the 3rd round is a waste.  And no, anything can’t happen in the playoffs when you have a running QB.  

Mentalite?   Is that what you take every morning in order to come up with your brilliant takes?

I would love to poop in your oatmeal, you scared old pedophile

8 hours ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Who cares. Get there and see what happens. People are acting like they’re losing a top 5 or 10 pick if they pull for this team to make the playoffs and the other scenarios. Things didn’t shake out that way with Indy, Miami, or this team. I’m not going to get bent out of shape picking 18th instead of 16th.  

I wasn’t even implying I wasn’t happy about them making the playoffs. I constantly bash the draft pick beaters

8 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Missing the playoffs last year sure provided the Giants a lot of talent to turn it around this year. 

You don't believe coaching a playoff game as HC would have any value to Sirianni going forward? You don't think that would have any value to any of the young core players here going forward? 

Making the playoffs in 2016 was a necessary step for the 2017 SB run.

Making the playoffs last year when they didn’t deserve it sure helped the WFT.

Making the playoffs when you don’t deserve it simply because you can beat PS qbs doesn’t have a ton of value.  Now, if they shock everyone and go on a run, different story.  If they get blown out in the first game, it was a waste of draft capital.

At this point, whatever happens, happens. The team isn't going to have high picks anyways.

I understand both sides. Personally, I'd like to see them win. Will they go far? Probably not, but it is what it is.

6 hours ago, mattwill said:

Something the franchise has never had. 

Archived