EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

Something I predicted a while back is happening.  The second half of this season, these Eagles Wins against far inferior teams, is making people consider keeping Hurts as your starting QB. I predicted this before it happened. Now we are seeing all kind of pundits talk about this. Please... We have been beating bad teams. 

This team now needs to make the playoffs just to show people how bad Hurts is once we meet teams who can put up points and or stop our run game, which will force Hurts to throw. 

Which WE all know is not what he does well. And this is the issue with a QB like Hurts, they give off this luster of a person who can make flash, highlight plays, but always fall apart against GOOD TEAMS in the playoffs. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ipiggles said:

Something I predicted a while back is happening.  The second half of this season, these Eagles Wins against far inferior teams, is making people consider keeping Hurts as your starting QB. I predicted this before it happened. Now we are seeing all kind of pundits talk about this. Please... We have been beating bad teams. 

This team now needs to make the playoffs just to show people how bad Hurts is once we meet teams who can put up points and or stop our run game, which will force Hurts to throw. 

Which WE all know is not what he does well. ANd this is the issue with a QB like Hurts, they wgive off this luster of a person who can make flash plays, but always fall apart against GOOD TEAMS in the playoffs. 

I don't see anyone saying that except the people who were already sold on him early in the year.

I think the only way the Birds have serious doubts about trading for a QB is if we win a playoff game, at that point all bets could be off.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't see anyone saying that except the people who were already sold on him early in the year.

Not in here, but all over the media etc... as long as the Eagles Front office doesn't get fooled, we are ok. But I most worry about them being fooled by it. 

2 minutes ago, KINGnabb said:

Get Well Miles.  :sad:

What kind of hospital is this?!  The clock's numbers are backwards and they operated on the wrong hand!

1 minute ago, KINGnabb said:

I'm not sure why, but I find Sanders so unlikeable. I'll cheer for him to do well as long as he's wearing an Eagles jersey, but he's sort of like the Barnett of the offense. Bone headed mistakes, repeated time and again, but has some ability that flashes here and there to make you cheer for them again. Frustrating players, and I wish both were replaced honestly. 

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't want any of those QBs at the cost of 3 1st round picks.   Then again, if they are first round picks like Howie is known to make (especially in the 20s)... maybe its not such a high price.  

I would also point out I think it’s gonna be harder for you to get a 2023 first round pick by moving out of one of these picks this year with where they are currently sitting. Let’s say they own picks 17, 20 and 22. how often have you seen teams trade a future first round pick to move into one of those slots or around those slots? If i did the research I’m guessing it’s not very often they gave you future firsts. The Bears did it with the Giants last year but they were picking at 11. with a class that doesn’t have great quarterbacks and where you’re picking i think the odds are less in your favor to be able to trade out of one of those spots and get a future first round pick. 

3 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Not in here, but all over the media etc... as long as the Eagles Front office doesn't get fooled, we are ok. But I most worry about them being fooled by it. 

I gotta hope not.  CE is right.. exposure in the playoffs would be a eyes wide open moment for them if they did start to buy the hype.

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

"Build it and they will come."

If you build a top team, either a decent veteran will blossom given the opportunity or a second tier QB prospect will have a better chance of developing than a top pick on a bad team.

The teams that stay in limbo are those with average talent who keep hoping to find a QB who can raise them to an elite level - ain't gonna happen, even Rodgers can't elevate GB when their talent is meh.

If you have a top OL and a top ten defense, you can win with almost any QB who can fog a mirror, may take a little luck to win it all, but you have a shot (see the corpse of Peyton on Denver).

This is a fallacy- yes you can win, but you wont win much in way of championships. If you goal is just to get into the plkayoffs every year, then yes, but if you want to win CHampionships. History shows us you need an elite QB to do that. Yes there are outliers, we were an outlier in 2017. AGain the majority of SB's are won by teams with ELITE QB's.

The playoffs usually seperate the ELITE QB's from the "avg Kirk Cousins type QBs'" 

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I'm not sure why, but I find Sanders so unlikeable. I'll cheer for him to do well as long as he's wearing an Eagles jersey, but he's sort of like the Barnett of the offense. Bone headed mistakes, repeated time and again, but has some ability that flashes here and there to make you cheer for them again. Frustrating players, and I wish both were replaced honestly. 

Personality wise it’s whatever. But his performance on the field is usually solid when he plays but the fact of the matter is he either leaves games early or gets hurt and misses time every single year. This is the reason why I wouldn’t give him a second contract. He keeps getting hurt.  He’s already shown at a young age in the NFL And he didn’t have a bunch of carries on him coming from Penn State that he can’t stay healthy. So why am I gonna pay him a lot of money knowing that and he’s only getting older every year so the likelihood is he begins to break down due to these injuries or continue to keep sustaining these injuries. Financially it is a bad investment even if he’s talented. He hasn’t had as severe injuries as Jordan Hicks but that’s what I would compare it to. You can’t pay someone the money that he likely wants or could get on the free-agent market when he has these continuous injuries going on.

9 minutes ago, KINGnabb said:

I like him, but he cannot stay healthy and needs to be gone this offseason, along with Brooks. 

1 minute ago, Ipiggles said:

I like him, but he cannot stay healthy and needs to be gone this offseason, along with Brooks. 

You need to be gone this offseason 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Personality wise it’s whatever. But his performance on the field is usually solid when he plays but the fact of the matter is he either leaves games early or gets hurt and misses time every single year. This is the reason why I wouldn’t give him a second contract. He keeps getting hurt.  He’s already shown at a young age in the NFL Eddie didn’t have a bunch of carries on him coming from Penn State that he can’t stay healthy. So why am I gonna pay him a lot of money knowing that and he’s only getting older every year so the likelihood is he begins to break down due to these injuries or continue to keep sustaining these injuries. Financially it is a bad investment even if he’s talented. He hasn’t had as severe injuries as Jordan Hicks but that’s what I would compare it to. You can’t pay someone the money that he likely wants or could get on the free-agent market when he has these continuous injuries going on.

There's very few RBs I'd give a 2nd contract to. And the number dwindles every year it seems. Henry was worth it, Kamara worth it....that's about it from the current landscape. Taylor looks like he'll be worth a 2nd contract. Outside of those guys, just churn the position and invest more into the o-line. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I would also point out I think it’s gonna be harder for you to get a 2023 first round pick by moving out of one of these picks this year with where they are currently sitting. Let’s say they own picks 17, 20 and 22. how often have you seen teams trade a future first round pick to move into one of those slots or around those slots? If i did the research I’m guessing it’s not very often they gave you future firsts. The Bears did it with the Giants last year but they were picking at 11. with a class that doesn’t have great quarterbacks and where you’re picking i think the odds are less in your favor to be able to trade out of one of those spots and get a future first round pick. 

Odds are certainly lower, but for the right guy on the board, the path is still paved.  But, all it takes is one target and one team interested...  Likely means taking a second round pick back, and the future one.  

15 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Can’t think of too many examples - the Jeff Otah trade with Panthers netted us a 2nd/4th and a future 1st if I remember correctly for our 19th pick.

Kind of a cautionary tale actually…

Worked out well for us, as we had plenty of trade ammo to bring JP over from the Bills (smh).

15 minutes ago, austinfan said:

"Build it and they will come."

If you build a top team, either a decent veteran will blossom given the opportunity or a second tier QB prospect will have a better chance of developing than a top pick on a bad team.

The teams that stay in limbo are those with average talent who keep hoping to find a QB who can raise them to an elite level - ain't gonna happen, even Rodgers can't elevate GB when their talent is meh.

If you have a top OL and a top ten defense, you can win with almost any QB who can fog a mirror, may take a little luck to win it all, but you have a shot (see the corpse of Peyton on Denver).

Oh how you do love to try to generalize a rule based on a single anecdote.  

45 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Maybe.  I felt that way at the time.

Now I just think McNabb didn't have the ability to raise his game to meet the moment.

Exactly this.  Even in an episode of Pros vs Joes where McNabb, T.O., and Antonio Gates played 3-on-3 hoops against 3 former NBA players McNabb got the ball 5 feet from the basket to win the game with a couple of seconds left -- and blew the layup.  

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Odds are certainly lower, but for the right guy on the board, the path is still paved.  But, all it takes is one target and one team interested...  Likely means taking a second round pick back, and the future one.  

2 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Can’t think of too many examples - the Jeff Otah trade with Panthers netted us a 2nd/4th and a future 1st if I remember correctly for our 19th pick.

i’m not saying it can’t happen I just think the odds are not in their favor with where they are currently picking. The Otah trade is likely the realistic way they accomplish that if someone is willing to do so. I just don’t think it’s going to be nearly as easy to accomplish like it was last year when they were sitting at 6 and the Dolphins desperately wanted to move back up to acquire One of the top 3 WRs  

2 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Hurts lovers - Yeah PFF says it so it must be true 

Hurts haters - PFF is BS yo!!!! 

23 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Which WE all know is not what he does well. And this is the issue with a QB like Hurts, they give off this luster of a person who can make flash, highlight plays, but always fall apart against GOOD TEAMS in the playoffs. 

This blog is going to have a full on meltdown if the Eagles win a game in the playoffs on the back of a big Hurts game.

This place is split over rooting for the Eagles to lose and miss the playoffs or making the playoffs and then rooting for them to get blown out. 

Hurts is earning a second year as starter and his continued development along with the cap space and draft capital should result in an even better team next year.  Can't wait. 

14 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

I don't think Sanders has much trade value because he's not durable, and he's only $1.7M against the cap next season -- IMO they let him walk after 2022.

28 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Part of the keep him mentality is the draft sucks for qbs

Archived