EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

24 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What kind of hospital is this?!  The clock's numbers are backwards and they operated on the wrong hand!

Gotta be Canada 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Making the playoffs in 2016 was a necessary step for the 2017 SB run.

Making the playoffs last year when they didn’t deserve it sure helped the WFT.

Making the playoffs when you don’t deserve it simply because you can beat PS qbs doesn’t have a ton of value.  Now, if they shock everyone and go on a run, different story.  If they get blown out in the first game, it was a waste of draft capital.

Two thoughts based on eagle45's comment (1) the beef that is common here is that this team can't beat a playoff team ... or the better QBs. It is not unreasonable to think the players and coaches have similar thoughts.  What better way to put that concern to rest than to play a playoff team in a playoff game?  (2) There is no waste of Draft capital when you move down five or six spots in the second half of each Draft round.  You still have the same number of picks and essentially the same pool of target players ... especially in Days Two and Three.

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

i’m not saying it can’t happen I just think the odds are not in their favor with where they are currently picking. The Otah trade is likely the realistic way they accomplish that if someone is willing to do so. I just don’t think it’s going to be nearly as easy to accomplish like it was last year when they were sitting at 6 and the Dolphins desperately wanted to move back up to acquire One of the top 3 WRs  

It always comes down to the right player and the right team on the board, and would have to be draft night... but a QB might fall and some team be in love.  

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Oh how you do love to try to generalize a rule based on a single anecdote.  

the reason why the Denver Broncos went out and got Manning was because Tim Tebow could not throw the football. the Broncos had all the components to win and manning took that franchise to a complete other level once he got there. The best success in the last 20 years of that franchise with Peyton Manning playing like Fing peyton manning. the 3 years before winning their super bowl, he averaged 12.7 wins per year, got to a super bowl and he averaged 43.7 td passes per year. Before Peyton Manning got to the Denver Broncos the five seasons prior they were 35-45 and didn’t have a winning season in any of those years. could that Super Bowl year they put any quarterback on that team and could’ve possibly won a Super Bowl? Maybe however I don’t think that franchise turns the corner into the winner they became unless Peyton Manning comes there and help them get to that level.

4 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Two thoughts based on eagle45's comment (1) the beef that is common here is that this team can't beat a playoff team ... or the better QBs. It is not unreasonable to think the players and coaches have similar thoughts.  What better way to put that concern to rest than to play a playoff team in a playoff game?  (2) There is no waste of Draft capital when you move down five or six spots in the second half of each Draft round.  You still have the same number of picks and essentially the same pool of target players ... especially in Days Two and Three.

Sure... and if they get blown out, what then?  

Meanwhile an actual fanbase is hoping for a win in the face of draft position despite no real hope to make the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

0-5 against playoff teams. when you add in what the cowboys will do if they have something to play for in week 18, and what will happen in the first round, it'll be 0-7

Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It always comes down to the right player and the right team on the board, and would have to be draft night... but a QB might fall and some team be in love.  

True but even in that area that’s close to where Jordan love went (26). It cost them a 4th rounder to go from 30 to 26. The Packers did not trade a future first round pick to go up and get Jordan love; a quarterback that they loved even though they had Aaron Rodgers. Maybe there’s a team sitting high in the second round or mid second round that’s willing to move up there to get the quarterback and will give you a future first.

Based on how 20-32 looks right now there’s really not a team I see wanting to give up a future first for a QB. Miami (19, 21) it’s either tua or watson, NE has jones, Arizona has murray, Buffalo and cincy are set, tampa has Brady and i don’t see them giving up a future first to go from 27 to the eagles highest pick of 20 (as of right now). lions have the rams pick in 2023 as well. They might be the only team i see doing it but you aren’t getting their first. Would get that rams firsts and i tend to think they are likely trying to acquire future firsts like the eagles to secure cj stroud or young next year when they are more ready. Then it’s titans, chiefs, Dallas and GB. Maybe the titans do it. 

I actually think there’s a solid chance the Eagles try to move up in this draft to get a pass rusher they covet than trade back.  

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

True but even in that area that’s close to where Jordan love went (26). It cost them a 4th rounder to go from 30 to 26. The Packers did not trade a future first round pick to go up and get Jordan love; a quarterback that they loved even though they had Aaron Rodgers. Maybe there’s a team sitting high in the second round or mid second round that’s willing to move up there to get the quarterback and will give you a future first.

Based on how 20-32 looks right now there’s really not a team I see wanting to give up a future first for a QB. Miami (19, 21) it’s either tua or watson, NE has jones, Arizona has murray, Buffalo and cincy are set, tampa has Brady and i don’t see them giving up a future first to go from 27 to the eagles highest pick of 20 (as of right now). lions have the rams pick in 2023 as well. They might be the only team i see doing it but you aren’t getting their first. Would get that rams firsts and i tend to think they are likely trying to acquire future firsts like the eagles to secure cj stroud or young next year when they are more ready. Then it’s titans, chiefs, Dallas and GB. Maybe the titans do it. 

I actually think there’s a solid chance the Eagles try to move up in this draft to get a pass rusher they covet than trade back.  

Very correct, which is why it would need to be a team in Round 2 looking to jump back up.  It would have to be a big move down to turn it into a first for next year.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Very correct, which is why it would need to be a team in Round 2 looking to jump back up.  It would have to be a big move down to turn it into a first for next year.

I actually think there’s a chance the eagles try to move up in the draft to get a pass rusher they truly covet rather than trading back  

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I actually think there’s a chance the eagles try to move up in the draft to get a pass rusher they truly covet rather than trading back  

It would be a very Howie thing to do.

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Howie was never part of the reason why they were "strong or dominate” in the early 2000’s.  That was all Andy and McNabb.  And they weren’t dominate anyway.  They benefited from being the best in a terrible NFC East for a long stretch.  They were good, no doubt. Woke a good amount of playoff games, but we’re hardly great.    But dominate is being very silly.  And again, Howie has nothing to do with that.  Since he’s taken over and Lurie has enabled him, they have meandered around .500 with the exception of that wonderous/miraculous 2017.  That no one is taking away from them.  

Lurie rescued the team, sure.  He’s gone downhill the last 4 seasons.  Since he fired Chip and "took his franchise back”. 

Winning a QB lottery? !  Really?   That’s all it takes?   You might want to tell them, since they think being the QB factory is the way to go.  

Kind of feel like dak’s 24-6 record against the nfc east is kind of the same way now. Outside of Dallas and the eagles, the two other teams have been trash even when Washington won the division they were trash. The giants and wft have been bad since he’s come into the league in 2016. He’s 18-3 against those two clown organizations. He’s currently 6-3 against the eagles with one of those wins being a gimme in week 17 of 2017 where we didn’t try to win with everything clinched. 

30 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Does the exception make the rule?

You asked, I answered. Too bad it ended in a messy divorce. Happens sometimes. 

27 minutes ago, greend said:

Part of the keep him mentality is the draft sucks for qbs

Yup and may who knows about 2023? WIll there be some good prospects? WIll we be in a position to draft them? ALways a crap shoot when relying on drafting, especially with Howie picking

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Howie was never part of the reason why they were "strong or dominate” in the early 2000’s.  That was all Andy and McNabb.  And they weren’t dominate anyway.  They benefited from being the best in a terrible NFC East for a long stretch.  They were good, no doubt. Woke a good amount of playoff games, but we’re hardly great.    But dominate is being very silly.  And again, Howie has nothing to do with that.  Since he’s taken over and Lurie has enabled him, they have meandered around .500 with the exception of that wonderous/miraculous 2017.  That no one is taking away from them.  

Lurie rescued the team, sure.  He’s gone downhill the last 4 seasons.  Since he fired Chip and "took his franchise back”. 

Winning a QB lottery? !  Really?   That’s all it takes?   You might want to tell them, since they think being the QB factory is the way to go.  

Had a pretty good defense too.  

3 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

I’m down. Only for Thibodeaux or Hutchison

Think I'd rather go with Hutchinson.   Looks like he could be a better pass rusher.

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Had a pretty good defense too.  

The defense they had when they went to their first NFC championship game was ridiculous. I get the game has changed since then but they went an entire season without giving up more than 21 points until the NFC championship game against the Rams.

4 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Think I'd rather go with Hutchinson.   Looks like he could be a better pass rusher.

Hutch is likely going #1 overall. No chance we get him (nor would I pay the amount it will cost to go up and get him). 

Early 2000s teams were loaded rosters top to bottom. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ah, yes. 

And can you believe that people are starting to forget how bad of a defense we have because we have been going up against the following QB's.

Teddy Bridgewater

Trevor Simien

Daniel Jones

Zach Wilson

Garret Gilbert

Jake Fromm/Mike Glennon

The above is why this team is in playoff contention.  Nothing more.  Talk about fools gold.  And there are a ton of fools in here.  

Bingo. As a fan, I'm enjoying the ride. But it's ridiculous to assert it's anything more than fool's gold. We may upset a team in the first round (and if it's Dallas, the season was a great success), but we aren't going much farther. I'm cheering for us to win the next 6 games, but....we won't. And either way, win or lose, Howie will be back next year, of that we can be certain. Hurts is a bit more of a ? mark....but his returning next year is more likely to tied to whether Lowie can get an upgrade or not. Won't have anything to do with how the rest of this year plays out. 

5 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Ojabo.  

Costs less... likely a higher upside.

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Bingo. As a fan, I'm enjoying the ride. But it's ridiculous to assert it's anything more than fool's gold. We may upset a team in the first round (and if it's Dallas, the season was a great success), but we aren't going much farther. I'm cheering for us to win the next 6 games, but....we won't. And either way, win or lose, Howie will be back next year, of that we can be certain. Hurts is a bit more of a ? mark....but his returning next year is more likely to tied to whether Lowie can get an upgrade or not. Won't have anything to do with how the rest of this year plays out. 

Is he really?

21 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ah, yes. 

And can you believe that people are starting to forget how bad of a defense we have because we have been going up against the following QB's.

Teddy Bridgewater

Trevor Simien

Daniel Jones

Zach Wilson

Garret Gilbert

Jake Fromm/Mike Glennon

The above is why this team is in playoff contention.  Nothing more.  Talk about fools gold.  And there are a ton of fools in here.  

I brought this up a couple weeks ago. I said the end of the 2019 season was fools gold. They got on a roll because they played a bunch of teams finishing in the top five of the draft. The end of that season is very similar to the end of that season in terms of opponents.

They are not facing good teams. The defense is ranked ninth statistically. I think we all can agree this defense is not a top 10 defense unless they’re playing bad to mediocre quarterbacks on a regular basis. Because when they faced good quarterbacks they haven’t been able to stop anybody. And some of these defenses we thought would be good arent. Even without the two defensive touchdowns by Dallas Washington just gave up 42 points. The Saints when they don’t have a quarterback that can sustain offense has hurt their defense. The Broncos game the offense looks great in the first half meanwhile in the third quarter if it wasn’t for slay picking up a fumble the Eagles might very lose the game because the offense really didn’t do all that much in the third quarter or second half until that slay return.   

One of the reasons why I wanted to see in week 18 the Eagles have a meaningful game and the Cowboys also have a meaningful game is to see just how far this team has come since week 3. If you go into that game and Dallas just obliterates you on defense and the offense looks lost again that would be a big problem. Just like it would be a massive jump since week 3 if the Eagles are competitive, in that game and somehow even managed to win that game.that’s why i want that week 18 game to have a bunch of meaning for both teams. 

my view of the Eagles is they are a slightly above average football team. They have more talent than these bad teams even if a lot of the talent is older players particularly on defense. And a lot of these mediocre teams I think they just have better coaching and for the most part better pedigree players/talent over those mediocre teams. I think the hardest jump to make it go from a average slightly above average football team to being a good or great football team that can beat some of these better and upper echelon teams more consistently.  In my opinion to make that jump you need to infuse young talent into this roster (particular defense) that can play early and often, you have to get better quarterback play than what you got so far (which is not saying he’s been bad or good he just would need to be even better) and your coaching would need to go up another level as well.   

Archived