EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

yes there is. Because if Wentz played like poop, they dont make the playoffs, let alone the one seed. so yes, 1000% fact with out Wentz the Eagles dont win the Superbowl

What if Wentz was hurt earlier?   There is no way Foles can get them to the playoffs?  

The credit you guys give Wentz is mind-boggling.   He played great in one year. but the entire team did too.   The stars were aligned.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mortimer said:

" BTW Rodgers has only won one Super Bowl just like Wentz/Foles "    - you

Show us on the doll where the mean man touched you. Wentz and Foles led us to that super bowl win. That's all I have to say to you on the matter. Take your hatred over to the Wentz thread

19 minutes ago, greend said:

McNabb was a franchise qb, and I would dare to say had we taken wide receiver and offensive balance  a little more seriously, we would have won a super bowl during his era

Maybe.  I felt that way at the time.

Now I just think McNabb didn't have the ability to raise his game to meet the moment.

"McNabb needed to use his legs, too!" 

McNabb (in Philly): 3249 rushing yards in 148 games

Hurts: 1094 in 29 games (didn't even have a snap in multiple, unlike McNabb).

Good comparison. Are you saying McNabb ran around in circles for ten minutes each pass when defense could actually be played and QBs hit?

Yeah, no.

5 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

" BTW Rodgers has only won one Super Bowl just like Wentz/Foles "    - you

Did the combination of Wentz/Foles win one Super Bowl? Yes. 

Has Aaron Rodgers won one Super Bowl? Yes.

Reading comprehension. He wasn't saying that each has won one.

I don't know why everyone here doesn't want us to make the playoffs.

It's the perfect opportunity for Hurts to be exposed in front of a national audience.

30 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Regarding your last paragraph- they were both strong, dominate, and as long term as it gets at the beginning of this century.  They had the two elements and only two elements that allow that to happen: QB and Head Coach, with the QB being 90% of the equation.   Get those two elements in place and you get teams like NE (Though they are the anomaly), GB- but only 1 SB win in Rodgers era, Seattle with only 1 SB in Wilson area,  and KC has a chance.  

They tried with Carson and while it looked promising they screwed it up and Carson isn't a generational QB.  

My point is a strong, dominant, long term winning franchise is rare because it requires getting a QB that is about the rarest commodity on earth, so to speak.  Of the billions of people on the planet, there may only be 3-4 at any given time.  

I'm no fan of Howie, I like Lurie a bit more as he rescued the team from one of the worst owners ever.  But to get where you believe they can't get the team is a place that is predicated less on their ability and more on winning a QB lottery.

I don’t disagree with you. Your entire statement is the exact reason why I’ve felt like for months that howie and lurie would try everything in their power to acquire Wilson or watson if the opportunity presented itself this offseason. I don’t think they’ll ultimately be successful in trying to do so but they would go all in trying to pull it off. 

14 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

So obviously they did not want him. 

Risk/benefit analysis. It provided them the opoortunity. Which is all it can do. Just like missing the playoffs gave dallas the opportunity to get Lamb instead of us.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I don’t disagree with you. Your entire statement is the exact reason why I’ve felt like for months that howie and lurie would try everything in their power to acquire Wilson or watson if the opportunity presented itself this offseason. I don’t think they’ll ultimately be successful in trying to do so but they would go all in trying to pull it off. 

I wonder if Wilson's poor 2nd half will sway them away. Alternatively, it may embolden them as the asking price may drop. 

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I don't know why everyone here doesn't want us to make the playoffs.

It's the perfect opportunity for Hurts to be exposed in front of a national audience.

It's happened a few times this season and nothing has changed.  That's my big worry.

Just now, Wentz_Era said:

It's happened a few times this season and nothing has changed.  That's my big worry.

What is the worry?  That they will hitch their wagon to Hurts long term?

They overvalue the QB position.  No way they settle on a flawed QB.

Circumstances may dictate they wait another year, but he won't be their guy.

4 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Risk/benefit analysis. It provided them the opoortunity. Which is all it can do. Just like missing the playoffs gave dallas the opportunity to get Lamb instead of us.

The Eagles have 3 first round draft picks.  That gives them all the opportunity they need to move up and grab a player if they want. 

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I agree.  They accumulated the picks for that reason alone.  I'm torn on Wilson and just don't want Watson.

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I wonder if Wilson's poor 2nd half will sway them away. Alternatively, it may embolden them as the asking price may drop. 

It won't, not drafting Wilson is Howie most chronicled regret, he will move heaven and earth to rectify that.

If MIA decides to stick with Tua, Watson also becomes a possibility, either way I expect them to take their shot at a big name QB.

12 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I tend to think they still believe Wilson behind their oline could still be great for another 3-4 years. That’s not my feeling just how i think they’d rationalize it. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I tend to think they still believe watson behind their oline could still be great for another 3-4 years. That’s not my feeling just how i think they’d rationalize it. 

Watson or Wilson? Damn these similar names!

6 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

I agree.  They accumulated the picks for that reason alone.  I'm torn on Wilson and just don't want Watson.

I think if all things were equal the guy they’d go after is watson due to his age and ability. However the off the field issues make it far more complicated. I’d be surprised if that’s all cleared up anytime soon. It’s nearly January and still it’s in limbo. 

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

Watson or Wilson? Damn these similar names!

Sorry meant Wilson. I also think Seattle would love to get their hands on Jalen hurts because they want to run the ball style offense and control TOP. When you watch that team play that is what Pete Carroll wants to do. So I can see them saying what we’re getting a young quarterback back to replace Wilson and draft picks let’s do it.

14 minutes ago, Swoop said:

"McNabb needed to use his legs, too!" 

McNabb (in Philly): 3249 rushing yards in 148 games

Hurts: 1094 in 29 games (didn't even have a snap in multiple, unlike McNabb).

Good comparison. Are you saying McNabb ran around in circles for ten minutes each pass when defense could actually be played and QBs hit?

Yeah, no.

McNabb

2000:  86  629

2001:  82  482

2002:  64  460

2003:  71  355

2004:  41  220

After he was hurt in 2005, his running fell off to that of a "normal" QB. But in his peak years, he was a "running QB."

Did McNabb run around in circles? Go back and look at the "catch" (I thank my hands) in the 2003 playoffs against GB. He frequently used his legs to buy time.

And he had a great OL, Tra - Welbourn - Fraley - Mayberry - Runyan.

59 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Making the playoffs in 2016 was a necessary step for the 2017 SB run.

Making the playoffs last year when they didn’t deserve it sure helped the WFT.

Making the playoffs when you don’t deserve it simply because you can beat PS qbs doesn’t have a ton of value.  Now, if they shock everyone and go on a run, different story.  If they get blown out in the first game, it was a waste of draft capital.

I think you mean not making the playoffs in 2016 was a necessary step for 2017.  I am not sure how that could be true.  I don't disagree that not making the playoffs helps draft capital but as long as the team doesn't trade a bunch of picks away I think it's plenty to build the team in the offseason.  I think any outcome that makes it more likely they keep Hurts for another season is a better outcome for the team.  The mistake is believing this team is an elite QB away from being a contender.  

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

It's gonna be bad. Outside of a miracle every NFC playoff team is gonna make him throw the ball 30+ times, just a disaster waiting to happen

If we fall behind, it will be really bad.  Once it is all on Hurts' arm, we are done.

6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

It won't, not drafting Wilson is Howie most chronicled regret, he will move heaven and earth to rectify that.

If Mia decides to stick with Tua, Watson also becomes a possibility, either way I expect them to take their shot at a big name QB.

I still think Miami would prefer to move on from tua and go with watson. The next two weeks for tua are huge. Has the titans and patriots on the schedule. I think he needs to play well and prove himself in those games for them to at least consider him to be the QB next year. If he loses both and is bad in both games i think the call is obvious for the dolphins. 

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think if all things were equal the guy they’d go after is watson due to his age and ability. However the off the field issues make it far more complicated. I’d be surprised if that’s all cleared up anytime soon. It’s nearly January and still it’s in limbo. 

Sorry meant Wilson. I also think Seattle would love to get their hands on Jalen hurts because they want to run the ball style offense and control TOP. When you watch that team play that is what Pete Carroll wants to do. So I can see them saying what we’re getting a young quarterback back to replace Wilson and draft picks let’s do it.

If the trade is Hurts/1st for Wilson....sign me up now. Any more than that....it gets questionable. Unless it's additional day 2/3 picks, I could live with that I guess. 

13 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

I don't want any of those QBs at the cost of 3 1st round picks.   Then again, if they are first round picks like Howie is known to make (especially in the 20s)... maybe its not such a high price.  

"Build it and they will come."

If you build a top team, either a decent veteran will blossom given the opportunity or a second tier QB prospect will have a better chance of developing than a top pick on a bad team.

The teams that stay in limbo are those with average talent who keep hoping to find a QB who can raise them to an elite level - ain't gonna happen, even Rodgers can't elevate GB when their talent is meh.

If you have a top OL and a top ten defense, you can win with almost any QB who can fog a mirror, may take a little luck to win it all, but you have a shot (see the corpse of Peyton on Denver).

Archived