EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Eagles have the second most productive offense in the ekague since week 8.  They should be able to score in the playoffs if they stick to what got them there.  The issue in the playoffs will be if the defense can make stops because when they play top QBs they allow 80%+ completion percentage. 

Actually this is false.  If you take away the Minshew game, and the defensive TD's, Eagles are not even top 10 in PPG since week 8.  I covered this extensively in the Jalen Hurts thread.

And as my post above proved, 75% of the time teams winning in the playoffs score 30+ PPG

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

2020 -  13 games, losing teams scored 37, 26, 24, 24, 23, 20, 20, 18, 17, 9, 9, 3

2019  - 11 games, losing teams scored 31 (51), 24, 23, 20, 20, 20, 19, 13, 12, 10, 9

2018 - 11 games, losing teams scored, 31, 28, 23, 22, 22, 17, 15, 14, 13, 7, 3

A run oriented offense means fewer scoring opportunities for the other team, so less points needed to win.

25 points would have won most of these games.

Those teams did not score more points, because their opponent was dominating them and scoring 27+ PPG.

Once again, the team with the most passing yards was 8-5 last year.

57 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I disagree with this narrative that in order for the Eagles to win a game in the playoffs that Hurts has to air it out for 400+ yards in the air.  Since week 8 we have the 2nd most productive offense in the league.  As long as the Eagles stick to what got them there and control the clock and get consistent scoring drives then they should have a chance. A lot will ride on the defense needing to get stops and that will be the big x factor. 

But this narrative is beyond silly that since it is the playoffs the Eagles will now need to drastically change their offense in order to win. 

Yeah I'm not sure where this narrative that all the sudden in the playoffs the eagles won't be able to run the ball 

They've run the ball against defenses that were top rated against the run, i can't see them just all the sudden not being able to run.

I think what will force them to maybe rely on the pass more is they will likely be facing teams with far better offenses and qbs in the playoffs and will need to be able to make plays in the passing game to keep pace especially if the eagles Defense is getti g torched by said better offenses.

But to say the eagles won't be able to run it n the playoffs so it falls on hurts arm doesn't sound right to me.

31 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The Jets have a pitiful defense. Minshew did what he had to do to win.

The Giants play much better defense, they stuffed the run early, forced the Eagles to pass, Hurts struggled in the 1st Q, was fine after that (the second Q was penalties killing drives).

For the Eagles to win a playoff game with Hurts, he doesn't have to throw for 400 yards (in that case, with any QB, you're probably gonna lose b/c your defense is dog crap).

He does have to make a few key throws and not make bad mistakes.

But the key will be the defense, if they can play a solid game, the OL and run game will keep them off the field and give them the legs to make big plays.

The Eagles offense had one penalty the entire second quarter, while the Giants D had two, one of those giving an automatic first down.

The three most basic elements to consistently winning games in the NFL are : average starting field position, third down/red zone efficiency, and turnovers. Those require all units (defense, offense and ST) to be successful. The Eagles have shown they are not there yet as they consistently face long fields and struggle with TO's. The running game helps the third down efficiency, but the defense gets run over by talented teams. They are just not there yet. 

But I still want the Eagles to play their best football of the year to finish the season and make progress. Just a reminder that only one playoff team gets to end their season with a win.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The Eagles offense had one penalty the entire second quarter, while the Giants D had two, one of those giving an automatic first down.

Yep, just looked for myself, one penalty in the second quarter.  @austinfan acts like we can not verify this info ourselves.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Actually this is false.  If you take away the Minshew game, and the defensive TD's, Eagles are not even top 10 in PPG since week 8.  I covered this extensively in the Jalen Hurts thread.

And as my post above proved, 75% of the time teams winning in the playoffs score 30+ PPG

Why would you take out the minshew game?

Seems arbitrary, seeing as they still ran the ball in that game 

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Yeah I'm not sure where this narrative that all the sudden in the playoffs the eagles won't be able to run the ball 

They've run the ball against defenses that were top rated against the run, i can't see them just all the sudden not being able to run.

I think what will force them to maybe rely on the pass more is they will likely be facing teams with far better offenses and qbs in the playoffs and will need to be able to make plays in the passing game to keep pace especially if the eagles Defense is getti g torched by said better offenses.

But to say the eagles won't be able to run it n the playoffs so it falls on hurts arm doesn't right to me.

That's not the narrative. I haven't seen anyone at all say they wont be able to run.

The point is, what your third paragraph says. Eagles will be playing better offenses and better QB's. If the defense doesn't make stops, they will fall behind early, and running the ball is not a formula for success when coming from behind. Especially if the offense starts slow coming out the gate like they have the last two games. Running the ball works in the playoffs if you have an elite defense, not with an average one.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Because people keep talking about the Jalen Hurts top 10 offense since week 8, when in fact they are not.  The fact that Minshew was the QB for the second best rushing performace by the RB's this year, actually helps my point that Hurts is an average passer, and his running does not make the running game go.  The running game goes because we have a dominant offensive line.

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

He is absolutely fixated on Jalen Hurts. He thinks every conversation is about him.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

That's not the narrative. I haven't seen anyone at all say they wont be able to run.

The point is, what your third paragraph says. Eagles will be playing better offenses and better QB's. If the defense doesn't make stops, they will fall behind early, and running the ball is not a formula for success when coming from behind. Especially if the offense starts slow coming out the gate like they have the last two games. Running the ball works in the playoffs if you have an elite defense, not with an average one.

True true, or it works if your team is playing really crappy offenses with really crappy qbs 

The only team the eagles beat this year with a half way decent QB was the falcons and Matt Ryan 1st week of the season where they kind of caught the falcons off guard.

Against top qbs which they'll most likely see in the playoffs they haven't won any if those matchups this year 

I love what the eagles are doing on offense, smash mouth football is fun to watch and like you said utterly useless when in a shootout or playing from behind.

If the D can play better against good and then the eagles and their rushing attack will have a chance if not it will be a short lived playoff run assuming they make the playoffs 

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Because you can't consistently create a negative narrative unless you cherry pick the facts. 

10 minutes ago, Utebird said:

But to say the eagles won't be able to run it n the playoffs so it falls on hurts arm doesn't sound right to me.

I think this is what people mean when they say they won’t be able to just run the football throughout the playoffs. 

Guest justrelax
42 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The Giants play much better defense, they stuffed the run early, forced the Eagles to pass, Hurts struggled in the 1st Q, was fine after that (the second Q was penalties killing drives).

For the Eagles to win a playoff game with Hurts, he doesn't have to throw for 400 yards (in that case, with any QB, you're probably gonna lose b/c your defense is dog crap).

But the key will be the defense, if they can play a solid game, the OL and run game will keep them off the field and give them the legs to make big plays.

Well, no. First possession: pass, pass, pass. Second possession: run (gain of 11 yards), pass, pass (Well, sack, but a called pass), pass.

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Because people keep talking about the Jalen Hurts top 10 offense since week 8, when in fact they are not.  The fact that Minshew was the QB for the second best rushing performace by the RB's this year, actually helps my point that Hurts is an average passer, and his running does not make the running game go.  The running game goes because we have a dominant offensive line.

Gotcha, I thought you were saying the opposite that the running game only works with hurts.

I agree that the running game is elite because of the O line not because of the QB behind it.

2 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

Because you can't consistently create a negative narrative unless you cherry pick the facts. 

Not cherry picking at all.  People keep saying Hurts is leading a top 10 offense since week 8.  That is not the case when Jalen Hurts is the QB.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I can’t wait to see all of the green at FedEx this week.  I always wonder why all of those WFT "Real Fans” wear green when the Eagles are in town.  

Might have just had sewage spill on them 

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Those teams did not score more points, because their opponent was dominating them and scoring 27+ PPG.

Once again, the team with the most passing yards was 8-5 last year.

Losing teams don't score less points b/c the other team scores, they tend to score MORE points in high scoring games (b/c they get the ball back more often and have to gamble to stay in the game). Losing teams don't score in the playoffs b/c they face better defenses and can't pad their averages against weak sisters.

So my point stands, if you can score 25 points you'll beat most teams in the playoffs, if you're a running team that controls the game, if you have a good defense you can probably beat most teams with 20 points.

Now right now the Eagles don't have a good defense that can stop top offensive teams - but upgrading from Hurts to a good but not elite QB won't make much of a difference in that case. Very few QBs are going to win shoot outs against teams with better overall offensive talent, because most playoff teams can take one or two receivers out of a game.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I can’t wait to see all of the green at FedEx this week.  I always wondered why there were so many WFT "Real Fans” choosing to wear green when the Eagles are in town.  
Made no sense.  

red/green color blindness

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Gotcha, I thought you were saying the opposite that the running game only works with hurts.

I agree that the running game is elite because if the O line not because of the QB behind it.

The running game is better when Hurts is healthy, all you have to do is watch film and see how he freezes the DE from crashing down the line and making plays.

He forces edge players to play honest instead of cheating.

I see a lot of boasting on Twitter about the eagles statistically 5th in the league. That’s great until you get to the playoffs and face better QBs who’ve put points on us at ease and not Fromm, Gilbert and slop. Additionally when you rank 26th in the league in takeaways and 31st in sacks that’ll catch up to you in the playoffs. As much as i hate Dallas their defense statistically is ranked 19th. But points allowed 7th, 1st in takeaways and 10th in sacks. I’m guessing their dvoa is much better than the eagles. Last i saw it was 3rd in dvoa

53 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Did you actually watch the game, or do you assume that we didn't when you post such falsehoods?  The only thing you said that was accurate was that Hurts struggled in the first quarter.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The running game is better when Hurts is healthy, all you have to do is watch film and see how he freezes the DE from crashing down the line and making plays.

He forces edge players to play honest instead of cheating.

Then why did the RB's have their second highest yardage when Minshew was the starter ??

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Oh how you do love to try to generalize a rule based on a single anecdote.  

2012 Ravens had Joe Flacco and won (and 49ers had Kaepernick)

2006 Bears had Rex Grossman and lost

2003 Panthers had Jake Delhomme and lost

2000 Ravens had Trent Dilfer and won

1991 Washington had Mark Rypien and won

1990 Giants had Jeff Hostetler and won

1987 Washington had Doug Williams and won

@LeanMeanGM

The Artists Formerly Known as the Redskins - 23

Eagles - 17

BOLD PREDICTION: 3 Hurts turnovers cost the Eagles a playoff spot.

"Divisional home underdog coming off being embarrassed on national TV” is as bad a spot as a team could face.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Then why did the RB's have their second highest yardage when Minshew was the starter ??

C’mon. They did play the Jets.

Archived