EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And sure helped us in 2019.  

And it helped the Falcons who made the Super Bowl in 2016 when they lost to a team in 2017 that hadn't made the playoffs since 2013 and hadn't won a playoff game since 2008.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SB52 said:

C’mon. They did play the Jets.

And ran for 40 more yards than the Jets allow per game.  If this narrative that Hurts makes the run game go, shouldn't the Jets have held the Eagles to less than their average ??

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sure... and if they get blown out, what then?  

You have one more set of data points to inform your offseason decisions.

12 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Well, no. First possession: pass, pass, pass. Second possession: run (gain of 11 yards), pass, pass (Well, sack, but a called pass), pass.

And when they tried to run, run, run, 3rd and 6 pass.

Giants overplayed the run, which is why you need to hit a few passes early against that kind of defense to loosen them up.

One thing the Eagles really lack is the reliable possession receiver like Avant who gives the QB an easy target on 3rd and 6 or so - which is where you'll be to start games running against teams focused on stopping the run - make a couple of those third downs  and you start wearing down the defense and the run picks up. It's not just about committing to the run, it's about being able to get 1st downs so you can keep running instead of punting.

This is why JJAW is so disappointing, I don't care if he's a 4.6 guy, he should be the reliable big target who blocks out and snatches the ball and makes those plays.

Fortunately, you can find these guys in the middle rounds and even as UDFAs, I'd make that a priority in this year's draft to stockpile a few, Sirianni has experience coaching these guys up.

2 minutes ago, mattwill said:

2012 Ravens had Joe Flacco and won (and 49ers had Kaepernick)

2006 Bears had Rex Grossman and lost

2003 Panthers had Jake Delhomme and lost

2000 Ravens had Trent Dilfer and won

1991 Washington had Mark Rypien and won

1990 Giants had Jeff Hostetler and won

1987 Washington had Doug Williams and won

I would dare to say that anything from 15 years ago is completely meaningless at this point.

And more importantly, it is not who the QB was in the game, but how they played...and even more importantly... they all played from inside the pocket, something that Hurts has consistently struggled with.  No one is claiming that the QB has to be HoF QB to win the Super Bowl, but that the QB needs to be effective within the pocket, make all the throws... short, deep, middle, left and right.

6 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Losing teams don't score less points b/c the other team scores, they tend to score MORE points in high scoring games (b/c they get the ball back more often and have to gamble to stay in the game). Losing teams don't score in the playoffs b/c they face better defenses and can't pad their averages against weak sisters.

So my point stands, if you can score 25 points you'll beat most teams in the playoffs, if you're a running team that controls the game, if you have a good defense you can probably beat most teams with 20 points.

Now right now the Eagles don't have a good defense that can stop top offensive teams - but upgrading from Hurts to a good but not elite QB won't make much of a difference in that case. Very few QBs are going to win shoot outs against teams with better overall offensive talent, because most playoff teams can take one or two receivers out of a game.

Jim Johnson always said if he can keep team under 17 points then they have a really good chance of winning, now that was 15 years ago and league wide scoring is up so maybe adjust it to 21 points and I think that gives a team a good chance of winning 

I'm not sure the eagles D can keep good playoff offenses under 21 they haven't shown to be able to do so yet.

In which case would lend to the passing game needin to keep pace, and hurts hasn't shown yet he can keep pace through the air with opposing high potent offenses 

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

And when they tried to run, run, run, 3rd and 6 pass.

Giants overplayed the run, which is why you need to hit a few passes early against that kind of defense to loosen them up.

One thing the Eagles really lack is the reliable possession receiver like Avant who gives the QB an easy target on 3rd and 6 or so - which is where you'll be to start games running against teams focused on stopping the run - make a couple of those third downs  and you start wearing down the defense and the run picks up. It's not just about committing to the run, it's about being able to get 1st downs so you can keep running instead of punting.

This is why JJAW is so disappointing, I don't care if he's a 4.6 guy, he should be the reliable big target who blocks out and snatches the ball and makes those plays.

Fortunately, you can find these guys in the middle rounds and even as UDFAs, I'd make that a priority in this year's draft to stockpile a few, Sirianni has experience coaching these guys up.

goal-post-moving.gif

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

You asked, I answered. Too bad it ended in a messy divorce. Happens sometimes. 

That is what happens when you take someone out on a highly visible date while you are married.

One week after he officially official secured the 75%. He did that the week prior, but there was still an outside chance he could get under. With that extra game, it's damn near impossible.

Kudos for his immune system waiting this long to give out.

At least the Miami pick could get better.  They play Tennessee and NE.

Much like the Eagles, they've been playing bad teams and backup QBs.

4 minutes ago, mattwill said:

You have one more set of data points to inform your offseason decisions.

I don't believe I need another data point.  I would be more interested in seeing Sirianni's offense with a pure passer at QB... that's where I want to see more data.

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

One week after he officially official secured the 75%. He did that the week prior, but there was still an outside chance he could get under. With that extra game, it's damn near impossible.

Kudos for his immune system waiting this long to give out.

Carson did it on purpose just for us.  See he still cares about the Eagles.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

goal-post-moving.gif

Michael Pittman In Indy is that guy, big tall long arms not super fast or athletic but can box a guy out and move the chains.

For a couple games fulgham looked like he could be that reliable guy over the middle in 3rd downs but alas it was fool's gold 

It's odd to me when they try to pigeon hole reagor into that role running him on a shallow slant on 3rd and 6.

Reagor isn't the biggest guy, he's not going to shield anybody off not dors he have the strongest hands in traffic but fir some reason he's a guy who sirrianni has dialed up some slants for in 3rd down, seems there might be other guys in the roster who might be better equipped to succeed in that scenario.🤔

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

Misses this week, but will make it back next week if he's Symptom-free.

He's unvaxed. Rules didn't change for them that I saw so its 10 days.

Thank god we locked in that pick already. 

I am not a fan of lumbering possession WRs.  I think it makes the offense more predictable.  But…in our case…we probably do need that 50/50 ball guy.  Our qb is a late release, area code accuracy kind of passer.  That neutralizes separation and speed.  So you are better off with a long armed, box out, possession WR.

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't believe I need another data point.  I would be more interested in seeing Sirianni's offense with a pure passer at QB... that's where I want to see more data.

Have to agree. If Coach needs more then so be it but I don’t feel like I need more. 

15 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

At least the Miami pick could get better.  They play Tennessee and NE.

Much like the Eagles, they've been playing bad teams and backup QBs.

I know Hurts going to the Pro Bowl challenges the mind, but how many good QB are there?

Teams with meh at QB:  NYG, WFT, MIN, CHI, DET, ATL, CAR, NO, MIA, NYJ, CLV, PIT, JAX, HOU, LVR, DEN

That's half the league with questionable QB futures.

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

The offense is good enough to beat any defense they face.  The real issue is the defense isn't good enough to beat any of the better offenses.  

That is so spot on it is worth repeating, The offense is good enough to beat any defense they face.  The real issue is the defense isn't good enough to beat any of the better offenses.  

15 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Jim Johnson always said if he can keep team under 17 points then they have a really good chance of winning, now that was 15 years ago and league wide scoring is up so maybe adjust it to 21 points and I think that gives a team a good chance of winning 

I'm not sure the eagles D can keep good playoff offenses under 21 they haven't shown to be able to do so yet.

In which case would lend to the passing game needin to keep pace, and hurts hasn't shown yet he can keep pace through the air with opposing high potent offenses 

If the the eagles stay committed to running the ball, I think we can beat any team, especially if we win the turnover battle.  Our offensive line, right now, is the best I've seen it in years.  They're incredible.  It's breathtaking right now and I don't think D has been a problem outside the chiefs/cowboys game.  They came out throwing in the first half against the giants and we sucked.  just run the ball and keep it 3rd in short/manageable. 

17 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He's unvaxed. Rules didn't change for them that I saw so its 10 days.

Thank god we locked in that pick already. 

This is what the colts and their fans were most afraid of.  Late in the season and their unvaxxed franchise qb tests positive.  

what happens if the raiders beat the colts this week as far as colts seeding?

I have a hard time  not seeing wentz in a selfish light. But that’s nothing new really. 

Just now, gohabsgo said:

If the the eagles stay committed to running the ball, I think we can beat any team, especially if we win the turnover battle.  Our offensive line, right now, is the best I've seen it in years.  They're incredible.  It's breathtaking right now and I don't think D has been a problem outside the chiefs/cowboys game.  They came out throwing in the first half against the giants and we sucked.  just run the ball and keep it 3rd in short/manageable. 

I mean I think there are 2 teams I wouldn't fancy us against right now...Chiefs and the Packers. And I'm not saying we can't beat them but I think we have a really good chance against the other teams. I don't think there are that many really good teams this year. 

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I know Hurts going to the Pro Bowl challenges the mind, but how good QB are there?

Teams with meh at QB:

NYG, WFT, MIN, CHI, DET, ATL, CAR, NO, MIA, NYJ, CLV, PIT, JAX, HOU, LVR, DEN

That's half the league with questionable QB futures.

This offseason is going to be interesting with the QB position. 

There are so many teams that need one and not many prospects coming from college.

I'd rather they move Hurts, start Minshew and wait till the right QB becomes available. 

You can't tell me a team like New Orleans or Denver wouldn't have a better record with someone like Minshew.  Maybe he gets traded.

Archived