EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

You could see what Nick was doing - the TB corners were playing 10 yards off and he wanted to give Swag an easy throw. Our QB doesn’t throw a bullet, Smitty/Quez aren’t the most stout blockers against defenders screaming downhill and they didn’t do a particularly good job following the blocking they had. A slant or a curl would have been an interesting passing concept, but that seems to have been a literal/figurative blind spot.

Let's try that play that didn't work again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again and again.  

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NCiggles said:

Let's try that play that didn't work again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again and again.  

Agreed - it might be there on the blackboard, but it was pretty obvious that we didn’t have it on the field.

4 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Why is he playing if he's so injured they need to change the offense? Especially when running is his strongest attribute... It's not like you have another QB back there that has shown the ability to run the offense.

He wasn't injured

1 minute ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Biggest needs, IMO 

1) QB 

2) WR 

3) DE 

4) LB 

5) DT

6) S 

QB

DE

S

a bunch other needs.

2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Biggest needs, IMO 

1) QB 

2) WR 

3) DE 

4) LB 

5) DT

6) S 

Then you have RB, CB, P and potentially C/G.

Watch Jason Kelce's epic parade speech

2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Biggest needs, IMO 

1) QB 

2) WR 

3) DE 

4) LB 

5) DT

6) S 

I agree but I have them numbered as

1A) QB 

1B) WR 

1C) DE 

1D) LB 

1E) DT

1F) S 

1G) RB

1H) OL 

1i) CB

1 minute ago, Waiting4Someday said:

QB

DE

S

a bunch other needs.

Right now Watkins is #2 and Ward is #3. In a league that gets more and more pass heavy, WR needs to get better. 

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He wasn't injured

I agree. There was way too many designed QB runs or RPOs where Hurts just kept it himself. I even said yesterday after the game to watch for Hurts to come out with some mysterious injury.

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

There was a 3 way tie for predictions: all off by 2 total points

@4for4EaglesNest predicted 17 - 31

@DrPhilly predicted 13 - 31

@Iggles25 predicted 16 -30

You guys can figure out how you want to divvy up the "attaboy". 

Bonus prediction winners:

@Alphagrand Hurts less than 60% and leads team in rushing

@Casey @ Bat games is over by second half

@Ipiggles Eagles 1-3 on 4th down

I'll go with the 'ta.'

Does this put me over the top for total season gameday predictions?

Just now, EaglePhan1986 said:

Right now Watkins is #2 and Ward is #3. In a league that gets more and more pass heavy, WR needs to get better. 

Sure WR is need, but we don’t even have 2 starting safeties.

23 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Listen, the bar is low. He at least is an upgrade over Hurts/Minshew and we can actually evaluate the WR position with him in there. He was doing pretty well in NO before getting hurt. 

I’m just trying to look at realistic options. 

I would do Hurts or Minshew over Winston. Sorry but I'm not going Winston

Goedert better bring a jugs machine home with him this off season. He had some pretty bad drops this season, and they show up at the worst time.

2 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

I agree. There was way too many designed QB runs or RPOs where Hurts just kept it himself. I even said yesterday after the game to watch for Hurts to come out with some mysterious injury.

Perhaps he would have been better coming out with dead arm syndrome, that would at least provide an excuse for not being able to make NFL throws.

15 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

So punt on first down then? Wait that didn't work either

Just now, wussbasket said:

Goedert better bring a jugs machine home with him this off season. He had some pretty bad drops this season, and they show up at the worst time.

With a lot of green in front him, yeah…

One thing the Cowboys did well was utilize Cedrick Wilson.  I think that's the kind of role Watkins should be playing in.  Ideally he's a 3 or 4.  I'd love a legit slot WR and an Alpha #1 WR.  As good as Smith is, and he's really good, I think he'd be even better across from a Allen Robinson or Devonte Adams kind of WR.

I like the idea of Gainwell being moved to slot WR.  Maybe he's best served in a Ty Montgomery type of role.  However, the Eagles are looking to be pretty thin at RB come new league year.  You're going to have Sanders entering his final contract year, Gainwell and Huntley under contract.  Moving Gainwell would make RB an even greater need.

Why the F is Smiths first catch a bubble screen with 2 mins left in the first half?

6 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

I can’t recollect the backslide slant ever being attempted, it’s RPO bread and butter :snap gone: just RO.

6 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Sure WR is need, but we don’t even have 2 starting safeties.

Think of position importance in today’s nfl… 

WR >>>> Safety

Just now, Waiting4Someday said:

I can’t recollect the backslide slant ever being attempted, it’s RPO bread and butter :snap gone: just RO.

Hurts cannot throw in the middle of the field. He can't anticipate his WRs, he can't stay in the pocket long enough and step up, he literally cannot even see the middle of the field because he ducks down behind the OL.

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

One thing the Cowboys did well was utilize Cedrick Wilson.  I think that's the kind of role Watkins should be playing in.  Ideally he's a 3 or 4.  I'd love a legit slot WR and an Alpha #1 WR.  As good as Smith is, and he's really good, I think he'd be even better across from a Allen Robinson or Devonte Adams kind of WR.

I like the idea of Gainwell being moved to slot WR.  Maybe he's best served in a Ty Montgomery type of role.  However, the Eagles are looking to be pretty thin at RB come new league year.  You're going to have Sanders entering his final contract year, Gainwell and Huntley under contract.  Moving Gainwell would make RB an even greater need.

Yeah it’s best to have a 1A and 1B at WR. The 2017 version of Alshon would be great. 

Think of position importance in today’s nfl… 

WR >>>> Safety

#1 safety versus #3 wr… though.

1 minute ago, Waiting4Someday said:

#1 safety versus #3 wr… though.

#2/#1B WR. 

As of right now, I believe McLeod is a better player than Watkins. 

26 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Hurts is right, his biggest problem is anticipation, which involves three things:

1) reading the defense, that takes experience

2) being on the same page with your receivers, that takes time and practice, and more reliable receivers (Watkins broke off a couple routes and Reagor . . . )

3) knowing your scheme like the back of your hand, for a young QB it helps to be in the same scheme for an extended period of time - like more than one season

I'd point out that Mac Jones had similar statistics, with two long TD drives after the Bills were ahead 33-3. But he was #15 in the draft and started at Alabama. And Belichick runs a very QB friendly scheme.

Maybe it isn't easy being a first time QB in the playoffs, like Watson with his 7 points in his first PO game.

Now Hurts has a lot to work on this offseason, from mechanics to studying NFL defenses.

And Sirianni can also learn from his experience this year.

I don't know ..... but maybe Joe Burrow can coach him on these things?

Archived