EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

Guest justrelax
2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

#2/#1B WR. 

As of right now, I believe McLeod is a better player than Watkins. 

But he's not fast enough. Period.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

#1 safety versus #3 wr… though.

Jameson Williams, when healthy or Chris Olave would come in here and start opposite of Smith from day 1.  Williams has Ja'Marr Chase stud #1 WR potential.  

Make Jessie Bates your priority in FA.  Bates with Epps and a 2nd round safety or potentially Kary Vincent could be a good safety combo.  They kept 8 CB on the roster this year.  I hope they also cross-trained some of them at safety to get the best athletes on the field.  Unless you're getting Kyle Hamilton, I think they have to wait until round 2. 

That interception Hurts threw at the end of the half was terrible on so many levels. The TE is literally sitting at the 1st down line in the middle of the field with no one within 7 yards of him. Nope, Hurts is way to slow to pull the trigger to Smith and delivers it late and under thrown.

9 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Why the F is Smiths first catch a bubble screen with 2 mins left in the first half?

Hurts Limitations show up at the darndest times, like in the game plan in the middle of the game

Just now, wussbasket said:

That interception Hurts threw at the end of the half was terrible on so many levels. The TE is literally sitting at the 1st down line in the middle of the field with no one within 7 yards of him. Nope, Hurts is way to slow to pull the trigger to Smith and delivers it late and under thrown.

TBF to Hurts, Smith was open, it just took Hurts way to long to process and hit the Y button

As long as Jonathan Gannon is the DC of this team DE and Secondary are by far and away the biggest needs this team has. Since he refuses to blitz and/or disguise looks, all of the pressure will fall on the front four to get pressure and the secondary to hold up when they don't.

After that you can argue a number of positions including LB, WR, OL, and RB.

1 minute ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Agreed - it might be there on the blackboard, but it was pretty obvious that we didn’t have it on the field.

I think there was deficiency in the game plan.  

23 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

On top of that you know when you get to the playoffs you are going to face better more talented teams usually with much better coaching.

Todd Bowles is one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL. If you thought you were going to go into that game and just running the ball down their throat and that’s how you were going to beat them you weren’t gonna win that game. First the Bucs are a very good run defense when everyone is healthy. Second Todd Bowles is going to do with Belichick does and take away your number one strength and make you figure out another way to beat them. The Eagles are not set up to win any other way against better teams then to run the ball and control TOP. They can beat bad teams committing to the run and even sometimes passing when it’s a really bad team (although lost to the giants) 

The thing is the Eagles really didn't try to run the ball down their throats.  The Eagles had 17 rushing attempts vs. 43 passes.  In the first 4 series of the game, the Eagles had 15 pass attempts vs. 7 rushing attempts.  4 of those attempts were Hurts.  It was terrible play calling to start the game.   We saw bad Nick Sirianni making the play calls  He did a terrible job sticking to what had worked. 

14 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

#2/#1B WR. 

As of right now, I believe McLeod is a better player than Watkins. 

McLeod is cooked - and how could we even compare with Hurts back there.

I think that it is likely that Burks is BPA around one of our picks, and adding a veteran WR is also a good avenue to take. That said, this defense isn’t going to get much more aggressive if we keep rolling out has-beens and never-were back there.

It'll be easier to forecast the draft after seeing what Howie does in FA, but absent any really good FA signings I'd say the priority in the draft needs to be:

1)  Edge rusher

2) Safety -- there's nothing on the roster to build with

3) CB -- maybe they restructure Slay and try to get 2 years out of him? See what Nelson costs to keep?

4) LB -- Edwards and not much else.  I don't trust Davion Taylor to make a leap

5) WR -- Get a big guy like Erik Ezukanma or Justyn Ross in the 3rd/4th round

I'm not leaving out QB -- that can be #1, but I don't see an available prospect I'd grab early.  I think Pickett goes top 6-7.  

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Jameson Williams, when healthy or Chris Olave would come in here and start opposite of Smith from day 1.  Williams has Ja'Marr Chase stud #1 WR potential.  

Make Jessie Bates your priority in FA.  Bates with Epps and a 2nd round safety or potentially Kary Vincent could be a good safety combo.  They kept 8 CB on the roster this year.  I hope they also cross-trained some of them at safety to get the best athletes on the field.  Unless you're getting Kyle Hamilton, I think they have to wait until round 2. 

Yes, prioritizing safety in free agency is a must. I don’t see how it can be avoided.

3 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

It reminded me of the first Giants game. He threw a pick at the end of the half when the team was in scoring position. Granted there was only 8 seconds left for that play but still you had a shot to put some points on the board and he gave it away.

23 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

I'll go with the 'ta.'

Does this put me over the top for total season gameday predictions?

I'll do a final tally at some point this week. It's close.

39 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Why is he playing if he's so injured they need to change the offense? Especially when running is his strongest attribute... It's not like you have another QB back there that has shown the ability to run the offense.

So, Hurts is thinking we changed the offense to be less centered around his freakiness because of his ankle not because that’s a **** way to play QB?

Guest justrelax

To sum up: 

1) Hurts is not good enough. He will undoubtedly get better but he will get enough better? My answer is probably not.

2) Our defense is slow and needs to get faster, particularly at LB and FS. Without that, we'll give up 30+ to every good QB we face.

3) We need another edge guy, badly.

4) Rodgers will be 39. Watson is a scumbag, and Wilson is, well, what is he at this point? None of them are worth 3 #1s, not even close.

5) Is there a QB in the draft moving up for? If so, how far up? Do we throw 3 #1s at a question mark? Answers: I don't think so. If maybe, a Lawrence Welk. No.

Going back to (1), how much better will another QB be than Hurts and how much is that worth?

Given that all questions surrounding the QB are problematical, I go for defense first. QB will have to wait.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Herbig, Howard, Avery and Croom get some offers...the rest can f right off.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'll do a final tally at some point this week. It's close.

Or you could preserve a couple of hours of your remaining life and say:

See the source image

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That's certainly not an endorsement, even if he tried to make it be.  

:lol:. "Most days..." as in, not yesterday during the game.

1 hour ago, Ipiggles said:

Best way to predict the future - Study the past..

Remember when we had Foles as our Young QB and Howie went out and brought in Sam Bradford? 

Then when we had Bradford as our starting QB and Howie went out and drafted Wentz? 

I am predicting we get us a new QB this year - even if it's just a stop gap Like Bradford was. 

The Bradford move was a Chip deal, not Howie.     

1 minute ago, Wentz_Era said:

Herbig, Howard, Avery and Croom get some offers...the rest can f right off.

I think Opeta stepping up has made Herbig expendable.  You can draft or sign his replacement as an UDFA.  Herbig coming back at a higher price tag is not ideal.

Howard has been banged up and I think you can wait until after the draft to make a decision on him.  Draft his replacement or sign Fournette.

Avery can go.

Croom hasn't seen the field in almost 2 years.  What do you see in him that makes you want him back?

Why no Steve Neslon?  He played pretty well this year.

the rest...yes f off.

15 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

They can't afford to roll the dice on another early draft picK at WR. They need a proven veteran who can come in and move the chains opposite Smith. Williams, Robinson, Godwin, Kirk, Gallup, and Chark are all interesting to varying degrees.

Guest justrelax
9 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

What that play showed is what happens when you have a safety who can run.

1 minute ago, wussbasket said:

Was Jordan Howard even active? Where was he?

He played. He had one catch for 7 yards and zero carries.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

I think you took it too literally. I think he means Steichen and Sirianni on the playcalling and Sirianni talking to him in the headset.

Nah, I took it as an excuse.  I think he's trying to find a way to cover up for Hurts being massively exposed.

1 minute ago, wussbasket said:

Was Jordan Howard even active? Where was he?

TB loaded the box all day and he isn’t exactly the best off-tackle or catching out of the backfield (although I did see him catch one ball). Then we went into chuck and duck mode.

Archived