EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

56 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Trending down every year since 2018.  Culminating in a 4 win season.  (And I don't see a season much better than that this year in terms of wins and losses.)

That’s a lot of responsibility you’re putting on our second-round pick’s shoulders. I guess Mailata wasn’t a good pick either. Or Sweat. I mean we’ve trended downward since picking all three. 

Awful draft class…

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

That’s a lot of responsibility you’re putting on our second-round pick’s shoulders. I guess Mailata wasn’t a good pick either. Or Sweat. I mean we’ve trended downward since picking all three. 

Awful draft class…

Seems counter-intuitive to start labelling Goedert as a "bad pick".  We read a lot of stuff in here about BPA, and I sure don't see much talent drafted anywhere in the next 10-12 picks after him in that draft.  There's a lot of blowback when people start talking about drafting by position.

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Seems counter-intuitive to start labelling Goedert as a "bad pick".  We read a lot of stuff in here about BPA, and I sure don't see much talent drafted anywhere in the next 10-12 picks after him in that draft.  There's a lot of blowback when people start talking about drafting by position.

That pick was originally the 32nd pick that we traded back with the Ravens ( Lamar Jackson )  So instead of just drafting Will Hernandez, Nick Chubb or Darius Leonard, we traded back, and then back up and got Goedert, Maddox and Miles Sanders the following year.

Hernandez kinda sucks, but maybe he would have been better under Stoutland.  I would take Chubb over all 3 of the players we got, and Leonard would be hard to pass over all 3 of the guys we got.

Just now, downundermike said:

That pick was originally the 32nd pick that we traded back with the Ravens ( Lamar Jackson )  So instead of just drafting Will Hernandez, Nick Chubb or Darius Leonard, we traded back, and then back up and got Goedert, Maddox and Miles Sanders the following year.

Hernandez kinda sucks, but maybe he would have been better under Stoutland.  I would take Chubb over all 3 of the players we got, and Leonard would be hard to pass over all 3 of the guys we got.

I loved Leonard going into that draft but thought he went higher than most projections and people thought. Colts nailed that pick though. 

Goedert is one of Roseman's best draft picks since he took back over after winning the Game of Thrones power struggle he was in with Chip.  

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Goedert will likely be impactful in this league for far longer than Chubb will when we see the lifespan of TEs which is pretty long compared to the short lifespan of RBs in this league.  

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Goedert will likely be impactful in this league for far longer than Chubb will when we see the lifespan of TEs which is pretty long compared to the short lifespan of RBs in this league.  

I will take the guy that actually makes an impact

image.png.acdb4006d3d75e1da19d5755b88c0940.png

image.png.b01501862223c202faff3eba5b8ab09d.png

29 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Awful draft class…

Yup.  That's exactly what I said.  :blink:   I specifically mentioned why the roster construction should be deemed 'bad'.  The continual back sliding since 2018 isn't bad?  

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Foolish to say Goedert doesn't make an impact.  He's a good blocker and it's clear he has a lot of talent receiving the ball and running after the catch that has yet to be fully realized.  Tight Ends usually take a few years before they start to ramp up their receiving production.  Chubb is great so he could end up being one of those rare great running backs that stay playing at a high level of play for a near decade or more.  But the odds are very much against that.  Meanwhile could very easily turn into one of the top 3 TEs any season now as he just started his 4th season at 26 years old.  TEs play great well into their 30s.  

There are many things to criticize Roseman but one of his best draft picks isn't one of them.  Plus that was heading into the 2018 season.  The had just traded a 4th round pick for Jay Ajayi the season before.  He only just turned 25 heading into the 2018 season after being a key contributor to the Super Bowl winning team.  Also coming back was a 2nd year Corey Clement who was coming off a very good rookie year and even better Super Bowl winning performance that gave everyone high hopes for year 2.  Darren Sproles too, coming back from injury.  It's understandable why they didn't go RB in the 1st round for the firs time since Keith Byars in 1986.    

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup.  That's exactly what I said.  :blink:   I specifically mentioned why the roster construction should be deemed 'bad'.  The continual back sliding since 2018 isn't bad?  

Of course it’s bad. It’s not because of taking Goedert in round 2. 

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Chubb would have been nice to have that season seeing as how our 3 leading rushers were (in order) Josh Adams, Wendell Smallwood, and Corey Clement.  Chubb has also chipped in 99 receptions for 800 yards and 2 TDs over that time. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

Of course it’s bad. It’s not because of taking Goedert in round 2. 

I didn't say it was bad because of taking Goedert in Round 2.  I said it was bad, because of poor planning.  Goedert's selection is an example.  He should be the starter by now if they were planning ahead, by making the move up in the draft to select him.  Non-premier positions don't usually require a trade up to be a backup, or even a #2 TE to play a ton of 12 personnel.  TE is not a position that teams should heavily invest in.

44 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Chubb would have been nice to have that season seeing as how our 3 leading rushers were (in order) Josh Adams, Wendell Smallwood, and Corey Clement.  Chubb has also chipped in 99 receptions for 800 yards and 2 TDs over that time. 

You're using hindsight.  Heading into that 2018 draft the Eagles had Jay Ajayi heading into his 2nd year with the team at 25 years old, Cory Clement heading into his 2nd season coming off a great Super Bowl and Darren Sproles coming back from injury.    

21 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I didn't say it was bad because of taking Goedert in Round 2.  I said it was bad, because of poor planning.  Goedert's selection is an example.  He should be the starter by now if they were planning ahead, by making the move up in the draft to select him.  Non-premier positions don't usually require a trade up to be a backup, or even a #2 TE to play a ton of 12 personnel.  TE is not a position that teams should heavily invest in.

Actually, you said it was a bad pick, and that started the whole thing. And then doubled down noting that the team has gotten worse since his selection. Odd stuff. 

The bottom line is he’s a good player. The draft is hard. You’re going to miss far more than you hit. Let’s save stuff like bad picks for busts like JJAW. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Actually, you said it was a bad pick, and that started the whole thing. And then doubled down noting that the team has gotten worse since his selection. Odd stuff. 

The bottom line is he’s a good player. The draft is hard. You’re going to miss far more than you hit. Let’s save stuff like bad picks for busts like JJAW. 

slow down on the bust label. Give him time to be a late bloomer.

18 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Goedert is the starter right now.  If you looked around the league and notices then you would realize that TE is a premiere position that good teams invest in.  Look at the Super Bowls the past 10 decades and notice how many great TEs have played in those games as major pieces of those teams.  Patriots just spent big in free agency on two TEs.  The Eagles won their only Super Bowl with a great TE playing a major role on that team all season and in the Super Bowl.  

47 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Sure, but Sony Michel was the higher rated RB coming out, and I always suspected the Eagles had him in mind at #32.  When the Pats took him at 31, they picked up an additional 2nd round pick to move back and allow the Ravens to trade up for Jackson.

They could have sat at #32 and drafted Chubb.  Obviously they didn’t have him rated as highly.  I’m pretty sure Ronald Jones was higher on most draft boards as well.  It also begs the question what Chubb’s production would have been as part of Duce’s RBBC 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I said he was a good player, too.   But, how the team has been constructed, with him as a #2 TE, investing extra at the TE position... that's bad roster construction, and poor resource allocation... also known as a bad pick.  In other words, there were better options in that draft.  Darius Leonard would have been a wonderful addition considering that this team still has squat-tah at LB.  Not even 1 quality LB any more.  He's not a bust by any means, and I've never suggested he was.  But, it wasn't a good decision to trade up to draft him... and if it's not 'good', the opposite is bad.   Maybe it was a 'neutral' decision.  For me, it just follows the 'we're smarter than everyone else' non-sense and getting ahead of the curve, by going backwards with the 12 personnel overload.

16 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Sure, but Sony Michel was the higher rated RB coming out, and I always suspected the Eagles had him in mind at #32.  When the Pats took him at 31, they picked up an additional 2nd round pick to move back and allow the Ravens to trade up for Jackson.

They could have sat at #32 and drafted Chubb.  Obviously they didn’t have him rated as highly.  I’m pretty sure Ronald Jones was higher on most draft boards as well.  It also begs the question what Chubb’s production would have been as part of Duce’s RBBC 

Yeah, I was thinking of mentioning that. 

Some of the Eagles' MOs:

LBs?  What are LBs?

Let's extend players near/in their 30s while still having at least 2 years left on their current contract.

RBBC, we don't need a bell cow.

RIP mccaffrey’s hammy. I feel like right after he signed that extension the injury floodgate opened. 

Archived