MTV’s The Challenge

Agent23

21 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

Yeah...What's next? "My dad called me a fa**ot and beat me, but I turned out ok." It's definitely something weak people with long lingering trauma do and say.

But I digress...It's a thread about an MTV show. My apologies.

Damn, this is deep. I don't know how else you can explain TJ's "softer" stance toward the pro wrestler quitting than acknowledging we have grown "softer" or at least "more sensitive" if "softer" offends you. Honestly it would make a great research paper. "How TJ Lavin's Response to Quitters on MTV's the Challenge Reflects the Changing of Societal Norms in America." Something like that. We can co-write it if you want.

Point is - TJ has ripped people for quitting in the past, for much better reasons than "it reminded me of my childhood in a group home".  I'm sure that was rough on Leo, but what the hell did he think it was gonna be like?  The setup for literally EVERY season of the Challenge has been the same - they live in a huge complex and share a bedroom with 4-6 people and all common spaces are shared.  

8 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Point is - TJ has ripped people for quitting in the past, for much better reasons than "it reminded me of my childhood in a group home".  I'm sure that was rough on Leo, but what the hell did he think it was gonna be like?  The setup for literally EVERY season of the Challenge has been the same - they live in a huge complex and share a bedroom with 4-6 people and all common spaces are shared.  

It would’ve been interesting to see what TJ would’ve said if this happen when they were in that bunker a couple seasons ago.  I think that bunker was part of the challenge, so I wonder what he would’ve said. 

17 hours ago, Agent23 said:

TJ!!!!! Votes don’t count!!!

...except then he didn't expand on that at all? Shouldn't it have just came down to Jays vote (Devin) and Leroys? (Jay). As they were the only two who competed during the challenge? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

When Natalie and Ashley did that elimination, it seemed difficult.  The guys made it seem very easy.

As long as you get in a rhythm and have an ounce of upper body strength, it doesn't seem that hard. I am surprised Leroy actually won an elimination though, I thought Jay would fly through this thing.

2 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

...except then he didn't expand on that at all? Shouldn't it have just came down to Jays vote (Devin) and Leroys? (Jay). As they were the only two who competed during the challenge? 

All the women’s votes count 

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

As long as you get in a rhythm and have an ounce of upper body strength, it doesn't seem that hard. I am surprised Leroy actually won an elimination though, I thought Jay would fly through this thing.

I was thinking the same thing, but I guess Leroys longer body gave him the edge as they both showed they had upper body strength. 

2 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Josh sucks - who cries after winning an elimination 

He finally won an elimination after having the advantage in others.  It still makes me laugh that he lost a tug of war elimination to a guy with one hand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kz! said:

Very nice form on the ball throwing, too. You can tell he's a natural athlete.

that was great :lol:  

18 hours ago, Kz! said:

Very nice form on the ball throwing, too. You can tell he's a natural athlete.

That's the cheezy fake stuff that turns me off about this show. I watched that episode and I called it out right then.  Next thing you know,  he's smashing them all consecutively with ease. 

It was like MTV wanted it to be a little closer,  and Mechie just couldn't figure out the puzzle so they were finally just like,  go ahead and finish it. 

18 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

That's the cheezy fake stuff that turns me off about this show. I watched that episode and I called it out right then.  Next thing you know,  he's smashing them all consecutively with ease. 

It was like MTV wanted it to be a little closer,  and Mechie just couldn't figure out the puzzle so they were finally just like,  go ahead and finish it. 

It’s called editing sport

13 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

It’s called editing sport

yeah. they can edit real things happening. But they often choose to cheese it up with a ton of obviously fake stuff too which is annoying. 

On 2/6/2021 at 5:18 AM, HazletonEagle said:

these eliminations turn me off in general. You have one week where only athletes in peak physical condition only have a shot at winning (Leroy/Jay last week), then you have stuff like this recent week where you're throwing medicine balls through Papier-mâché. Like any of us could do that, and then you see some of the contestants can't. This is the same show that has an olympic athlete competing against freaking Aneesa. It's just so weird how they combine both aspects, which I guess I'm appreciative of. Because the second it turns into full on Ninja Warrior competitions I'll tune out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lolo is batshit crazy - she's acting like her and Nam were a couple and are now going through a tough breakup.  WTF - I now understand why she's never been married.

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Lolo is batshit crazy - she's acting like her and Nam were a couple and are now going through a tough breakup.  WTF - I now understand why she's never been married.

bruh batshit is her calling card. the fact that we took this many weeks to get there is impressive 

• Like 2

Wifes friend hyped up this weeks episode saying we have to catch up so we can discuss... I almost drove over to her house last night after finishing this episode to ask what the F she was talking about... definitely the worst episode of the season, a week after the previously worst episode of the season. An entire hour+ of fake reality tv manufactured drama, culminating with an Amber v Amber hall brawl. Brutal. 

Yeah, the format of forcing everyone to compete in eliminations really cuts down on the sleaziness/drama of the show, IMO. I'm OK with the change because it makes it a little more fair, but the result is a complete lack of real drama. To replace the real drama, they've pretty much focused on petty squabbling between the rookie girls and Josh's emotional instability.

I mean, how insane is it that the winning Amber was whining about being "blindsided" and "betrayed" when she ended up in a hall brawl with a 75 pound opponent? She should be thanking the chick who sent her in. Her other options to get a skull were Nany, who at least is a similar size and pretty fiery in eliminations, or getting completely eviscerated by Lolo.

• Like 1