Netflix Instant Recommendations

Captain F

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I'd appreciate any recommendations

Ones I’ve enjoyed (many which you’ve probably known of)

My favorites

I Saw the Devil

Old Boy part of Vengeance trilogy, but best one and ignore that horrible US remake

Parasite 

New World

Good Bad Weird

Host

Train to Busan

Yellow Sea

Host

some great other asian stuff too Infernal Affairs is way up there and is what Departed ripped off

Trying to remember some of the lesser knowns had a friend who was obsessed and watched dozens with him but it’s been awhile  Generally check any of the well reviewed lists  All of the above were very good to great.

• Like 2

I'd recommend Midnight Mass. It's a strange one though. There's lots about it that winds me up and yet have been pretty hooked on it. Going to watch the last episode tonight. 

• Like 1

Excellent WW2 film - THE FORGOTTEN BATTLE

Beautifully directed air and land battle scenes in a great story. No cheesy cgi to ruin it.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 8:58 PM, BFit said:

Just watched the guilty. Good movie, lots of twists and turns. Gets pretty dark a couple times. 

disclaimer for anyone who gets excited to watch this based off of this synopsis - it's a modern day Phone Booth, except instead of talking through the phone in the phone booth the whole time, Colin Farrell (Jake Gyllenhall) is a 911 call operator (suspended police officer) talking and moving the plot forward this way. 

Not to crap on your post, but this kinda movie def isn't for everyone. 

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We finished Midnight Mass yesterday, instead of watching real football and getting depressed.  Few things:

Hide contents

I really liked the setting and some of the acting.  Started to have a nice creepy feel to it.  Then the last two episodes happened.  Really hated how this movie ended.  Pretty poor considering how good it was in the beginning.  Also, some of the really long one-on one-dialogue scenes were a little much, fillers I know.  All in all a good show.  Hardly one of the best Netflix has done.  I wouldn't put it in the top 10.  But still a fun watch.  

Technically, I think this should be viewed through the prism of one of Michael Flanagans' joints (hey Spike Lee) , rather Netflixs. 

A lot of this was a simple love letter to himself and his catholic faith. That comes out through the annoyingly long monologues. He also is 3 years recently sober, so he's sympathizing and associating himself with the Riley character a lot as well. 

To bring it back to his catalogue, this definitely isn't as good as Haunting of Hill House, but it's certainly better than Bly Manor. I would also probably put this above Doctor Sleep, (too huge of shoes to fill) Oculus and Geralds Game. Either way I appreciate his presence in the horror scene right now and the new content he's been putting out recently.

• Like 1

BAD BLOOD is a pretty good gangster show. Doesn't have the wry humor of The Sopranos or the depth of the Narcos series but if you liked those shows this one is worth a look.
Give it a full episode to hook you. Kim Coates of Sons of Anarchy and Anthony LaPaglia star. Based on the true story of Canadian mafia, bikers and Carribean gangs mixing it up.
Produced by Peter Edwards who (assuming it's the same guy) wrote some very good books about the biker gangs in Canada.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

disclaimer for anyone who gets excited to watch this based off of this synopsis - it's a modern day Phone Booth, except instead of talking through the phone in the phone booth the whole time, Colin Farrell (Jake Gyllenhall) is a 911 call operator (suspended police officer) talking and moving the plot forward this way. 

Reveal hidden contents

Technically, I think this should be viewed through the prism of one of Michael Flanagans' joints (hey Spike Lee) , rather Netflixs. 

A lot of this was a simple love letter to himself and his catholic faith. That comes out through the annoyingly long monologues. He also is 3 years recently sober, so he's sympathizing and associating himself with the Riley character a lot as well. 

To bring it back to his catalogue, this definitely isn't as good as Haunting of Hill House, but it's certainly better than Bly Manor. I would also probably put this above Doctor Sleep, (too huge of shoes to fill) Oculus and Geralds Game. Either way I appreciate his presence in the horror scene right now and the new content he's been putting out recently.

That's a good point. I did like the phone booth movie too, so maybe I'm tolerant enough to stick through a movie like that. My wife didn't enjoy, but sure went to bed before the twists started

3 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

Hide contents

I'd also compare it to Buried with Ryan Reynolds. 

23 hours ago, BFit said:

That's a good point. I did like the phone booth movie too, so maybe I'm tolerant enough to stick through a movie like that. My wife didn't enjoy, but sure went to bed before the twists started

I've come to realize that I almost always like these movies by default, because right away initial criticisms of them are just outrage from mouth breathers of "StUPiD, ThE wHoLe MoViE tAkEs PlAcE aLl iN tHe SaMe PlAcE." If they're done right you don't need a lot of visual elements and you can play along and listen to the story develop all in that one general setting.  

It undeniably does have some dark elements to it, so much so that the premise makes a lot more sense. I won't even put a spoiler tag comment here in re: to what I'm talking about, bc the crime is that bad/disturbing. So yeah we didn't need to see THAT part. 

2 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

I've come to realize that I almost always like these movies by default, because right away criticisms of them are met with outrage from mouth breathers of "StUPiD, ThE wHoLe MoViE tAkEs PlAcE aLl iN tHe SaMe PlAcE." If they're done right you don't need a lot of visual elements and you can play along and listen to the story develop all in that one general setting.  

It undeniably does have some dark elements to it, so much so that the premise makes a lot more sense. I won't even put a spoiler tag comment here in re: to what I'm talking about, bc the crime is that bad/disturbing. So yeah we didn't need to see THAT part. 

To the part you're alluding to, that caught me so off guard. I loved how from that moment in the movie till the end was like the last half of a good rollercoaster where it just throws you every which way

Night Teeth started off nice but then ended meh

Sydney Sweeney had some nice cleavage but it was really just an appearance. Not sure why her and Megan Fox were even in the trailer. All you saw of Megan was her face

If you want to see Sydney nude again then watch The Voyeurs on Amazon

On 10/19/2021 at 7:59 AM, BFit said:

I remember liking Phone Booth a lot when I saw it for the first time (around 04?). I rewatched it again a couple years back and thought it wasn't great. It's also like a 70 minute movie with credits taken out. 

14 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Night Teeth started off nice but then ended meh

Sydney Sweeney had some nice cleavage but it was really just an appearance. Not sure why her and Megan Fox were even in the trailer. All you saw of Megan was her face

If you want to see Sydney nude again then watch The Voyeurs on Amazon

To get people to watch a movie full of relatively unknown actors. 

Agreed with the movie review though. Good concept, started off interesting, then barely went anywhere. 

Anyone watch The Chestnut Man?  I would recommend - if you don't mind subtitles of course.  It's a Danish show - only 6 episodes I believe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikemack8 said:

Anyone watch The Chestnut Man?  I would recommend - if you don't mind subtitles of course.  It's a Danish show - only 6 episodes I believe

I agree if you're into crime mysteries then you'll like this

• Like 1

I just binge watched Colin black and white.  

really good.   I saw a whole other side of him I never really took the time to see.  Impressive young man.  

12 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

really good.   I saw a whole other side of him I never really took the time to see.  Impressive young man.  

thanks, stand up specials on all the streaming services are hit or miss (even comics you know) but are great when your just looking to throw something on while folding laundry. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

thanks, stand up specials on all the streaming services are hit or miss (even comics you know) but are great when your just looking to throw something on while folding laundry. 

It’s the story of Colin kaepernick.  Probably not something you’d watch while folding laundry.  Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ej42P9FTwZg

i won’t be offended if you take away the like.  

• Like 1

This weekend I watched "My Name". I thought it was pretty good. Korean cops and drug kingpin 8 episode series with pretty good martial arts and an interesting story. 

On 10/29/2021 at 10:37 PM, SNOORDA said:

I am somewhat ambivalent re: Kaepernick, for full disclosure to show that I'm not one of the people that resent him - but I just really couldn't care less for this series/whatever it is.  Without getting into a whole big thing, do you care to elaborate on what's so good about this?