EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Can you fit anymore excuses in that sentence?

Those are all true statements. Coaching was terrible early on. Guy played hurt after injury and had Jalen Reagor as a starter. No one wins with that guy starting. Turrible. Easy to defend that offense with that guy. He cost them the Giants game, all by himself. And who made those nice throws? 😉

As a PSU fan Will Levis showed promise but for some reason couldn't ever beat out Sean Clifford.  That's the biggest red flag for me as Clifford sucks something fierce

Just now, jojodancer said:

Those are all true statements. Coaching was terrible early on. Guy played hurt after injury and had Jalen Reagor as a starter. No one wins with that guy starting. Turrible. Easy to defend that offense with that guy.

They are excuses. Its the NFL. Guys get hurt and play hurt. Kelce is banged up every week but plays through it at an all pro level and hasn't missed a game in years. Coaches come and go, players play through it. There are going to be average to below average players on every team, every year. Good players overcome it. 

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I want to articulate a couple things about Carson Strong.  While I have been one of his more vocal supporters, I am far from willing to die on a hill that he's going to be some great NFL QB.  

I think the ratio of what he could realistically become as a passer to what he will cost in the draft is very, very favorable.  

He may end up disappointing, but I think round 2 is very good value for a high arm talent audition at the QB position.  

Yup, he has 1st round arm talent.

Other things will drop him but 2nd round is good value for a QB with his arm talent.

3rd round would be a steal in my opinion.

Just now, Utebird said:

Yup, he has 1st round arm talent.

Other things will drop him but 2nd round is good value for a QB with his arm talent.

3rd round would be a steal in my opinion.

In a weird way, I almost would prefer 2nd to 3rd because that at least reflects more of a commitment to give him a chance.  

6 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Sounds like an Eagles PR person

Even the Eagles PR would be like "damn, chill. We didn't put him in any promotional material last year for a reason."

Been doing some review of the 2023 QB class: Stroud and Van Dyke to me should be clear targets.

Pass on old man Levis and HARD PASS on Bryce "smaller than Kyler Murray" Young.

Anybody know anything about this Grayson McCall kid from Coastal Carolina?

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

EXACTLY how I feel. 

I would hate to spend a 1st on him, or early 2nd. 

But if we can land him late 2nd, or 3rd, and Nick Siranni endorses it and thinks he can work with him, my fat ass may do a back flip

A first round pick is a marriage (at any position).  Baring major early misadventures, you are giving 2-3 years to that player no matter what to earn that position (pretty accurate parallel to marriages these days).

Unless an SI swimsuit model who is also a michelin chef and celebrated child psychologist falls into our lap in round 1 in the next year or two, I don't want to get married.  I'd rather play the field as a means of finding the right one.  2nd and 3rd round picks allow you to play the field.  First round picks mean you are done, stuck, committed, and can't sample that menu again.

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

Been doing some review of the 2023 QB class: Stroud and Van Dyke to me should be clear targets.

@4for4EaglesNest

9 minutes ago, jojodancer said:

Those are all true statements. Coaching was terrible early on. 

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

They are excuses.

Actually, that one statement is a fact.  The coaching was terrible early on.  Then Nick Sirianni realized that letting Hurts throw the ball was a mistake, and limited it as much as possible.

15 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

If the 2021 Eagles played the 2021 Colts schedule the Eagles would of had 6 wins. 

What is your excuse (lol) for Wentz taking a 11-5 Wildcard team in 2020 and turning it a to a 9-8 non playoff team that may have gotten Reich fired? Only the lowly desperate Commander Redskins would touch that guy!

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Nope.  Never heard of him.  

He's keeping him a secret so that the scouts from other teams don't find him

12 minutes ago, jojodancer said:

Those are all true statements. Coaching was terrible early on. Guy played hurt after injury and had Jalen Reagor as a starter. No one wins with that guy starting. Turrible. Easy to defend that offense with that guy. He cost them the Giants game, all by himself. And who made those nice throws? 😉

The coaching was terrible early on because the coach used Hurts as a quarterback....which, 100% agreed...was terrible coaching.  When they started using him as a running back, the coaching looked much better.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Actually, that one statement is a fact.  The coaching was terrible early on.  Then Nick Sirianni realized that letting Hurts throw the ball was a mistake, and limited it as much as possible.

Well when you have Jalen Reagor and JJaw playing  WR I would do that too. And a run dominant offensive line. Good move!

Flores unloading the whole clip on Ross.

If there is a paper trail to that Memo. It's curtains for ol' Stevie.

23 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

He can definitely sling the ball.  I don't know that an air raid offense has a ton of pre-snap responsibilities.  I think the idea is to give the QB quick reads post snap  that are fairly simple much like RPOs.  That's one of the areas where Strong has been criticized.  He locks in on reads and relies on his arm.  He takes too many sacks because of it.  Remember Hurts came from a similar system and is struggling with Sirianni's passing concepts and pre-snap reads.  A less mobile Hurts with a stronger arm isn't an upgrade. 

I don't think hurts struggling with pro pasding concepts in a similar offense that strong plays in necessarily means string will also struggle with same passing concepts.

Plenty of college qbs play in offenses where they aren't asked to regularly look past their first read or or asked to make pre snap adjustments other than maybe changing the play from a pass to a run.

One of the reasons hurts struggles with NFL passing concepts is because he doesn't have the arm strength to execute those NFL passing concepts 

Strong has an NFL arm, he can make all the throws which then is just a matter of him learning the concepts.

Look at Josh Allen, he was in accurate and inconsistent and reckless in college yet he has a ton of arm talent, sure his athleticism with that arm and his size help tremendously but without the arm talent he's just taller hurts.

Strong has an NFL arm which in a passing league is something that has more value to teams than a QB who is a great athlete but whose arm is subpar.

Like I said I think Carson strong has 1st round arm talent, other things will drop him but NFL teams will always bet on a guy with top notch arm talent and figure the rest out along the way.

3 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

He's keeping him a secret so that the scouts from other teams don't find him

He's good processor, enough mobility, but might not have a NFL arm.

9 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Van Dyke is 6'4.  If Jurkovec and Tyler Shough can come back after injuries and have solid senior seasons there's two more highly rated QBs who are 6'5

Tall QBs.  Guys who can actually stand in the pocket and distribute the football at a high level.

No interest thus far in Stroud or Young.  Levis is junk bonds.

Anyone see this on ESPN...  Here is what they would offer for DK for us

Our trade offers for Metcalf

phi.png&h=110&w=110

Philadelphia Eagles

Tim McManus' offer: The Eagles would trade 2022 third- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 83 and 154).

Inside the offer: The modest offer here reflects that the Eagles might only be in on Metcalf at a certain risk level. They rated him as a top-15 prospect in the 2019 draft, but the neck injury that ended his final season at Ole Miss kept them from drafting him. They're not going to give up one of their first-round picks to acquire him.

Philadelphia tried to trade for Calvin Ridley earlier this offseason and made a run at Christian Kirk in free agency, and Metcalf would give the franchise the impact receiver it seeks. The Eagles would have a stellar 1-2 punch at receiver with Metcalf and DeVonta Smith, with Quez Watkins and newly acquired Zach Pascal filling the third and fourth roles. Jalen Reagor, a 2020 first-round pick who has 64 catches in two seasons, could be moved to get a much-needed fresh start. Jalen Hurts would have all the targets he could ask for to be properly evaluated in his second season as the full-time starter.

Van Dyke has 10 games under his belt and we’re talking like he is second coming of Elway .

45 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I don't think better WRs are the issue.

Take for Instance quez Watkins,

Against Tampa Bay in the playoff game wuez should have had well over a hundred yards and close to it over 200 if hurts was able to get him the ball, but hurts couldn't get him the ball.

Devonte Smith has top WR skill set, goedert is a serious threat at TE, replacing reagor with a legit number 2 isn't going to magically make hurts an adequate passer.

He's always going to have a noodle arm, he struggles with timing and vision accuracy and especially deep accuracy as he dues t have the arm strength to push the ball down the field 

He can improve on some things like accuracy and timing and vision but how much and how long is one willing to give him to improve on those and how much would having another WR really help him improve in those areas?

I like Hurts and his work ethic and his teammates like him And his running is a weapon but his lack of arm talent is a concern going forward.

Hurts doesn’t have a noodle arm. Hurts has a combination of poor mechanics and a slow trigger.  The prior can be fixed much easier than the latter.  Ever heard of Nolan Ryan?  Growing up in Houston, I got to watch him pitch and learned so much about how much the legs go into the velocity.  Hurts foot placement is erratic and he is am arm thrower.  If he learns to use he legs more, even when scrambling, I think both his velocity and accuracy will improve.  Part of that goes to his release point and trigger.  Now McNabb never figured that out on his short game, hence all the dead worms. (He was blessed with two receivers in Lewis and Westbrook that could catch balls at their shoestrings.)  Hurts biggest issue throwing long is that trigger and an inconsistent release point.  Bit harder to fix and some never do.  He actually might have some stiffness from the weight work he does.    One thing about Hurts is his willingness to try and fix things. But willingness doesn’t fix his read issues. 

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Van Dyke is 6'4.  If Jurkovec and Tyler Shough can come back after injuries and have solid senior seasons there's two more highly rated QBs who are 6'5

Tall QBs.  Guys who can actually stand in the pocket and distribute the football at a high level.

No interest thus far in Stroud or Young.  Levis is junk bonds.

I am curious about how Jurkovec does, same with McKee.

No thanks on Shough, didn't do very well in Oregon, transferred out only to miss most of the year. Never been a fan of his.

Stroud is by far my #1 target, he is also 6"3.

Also, isn't there a Florida Gators QB that's suppose to be in the mix as well?

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The coaching was terrible early on because the coach used Hurts as a quarterback....which, 100% agreed...was terrible coaching.  When they started using him as a running back, the coaching looked much better.

Could it just be possible that the team that led the league in penalties in the first half of the season, as well as allowed the highest QB percentage on defense, decided to go to a power run game to better control the clock and help limit penalties? Especially since this young coaching staff was playing a very rough first 8 games of the season?

Nah....it is only on Hurts.

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

Van Dyke has 10 games under his belt and we’re talking like he is second coming of Elway .

That's the intriguing part. It's pure speculation but given the lack of experience, he has a top candidate for a Burrow type rise.

Archived