EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

7 minutes ago, greend said:

Maybe the problem is not enough black players want to be coaches? Not sure why we are forcing the issue. I'm still not buying that any NFL team wouldn't hire a black coach if they viewed him as the guy they want. 

I think minorities make up 30% of the assistant coaches.  They don't make up 30% of the interviewees and hires each year.  It could just be coincidence. 

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I can’t throw a 95 mph fastball.  Few can.  But Hurts can throw a 60 yard pass.  And his mechanics suggest that he can improve his velocity.  I don’t think arm strength is the issue.  Now some of his balls were off target long.  Biggest issue there was release point and trigger.   Unfortunately, those weren’t just flawed mechanically but also mentally, seeing and trusting the read.  Not sure that can be fixed. So we both have doubts about Hurts, just coming at it from a different approach. 

Well said!

18 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

JOJOdancer has been here for an hour and he's already filled up my Jalen Hurts bingo card.

myfreebingocards.com - bingo card generator

That "Not WR to throw to" is bothering me lol

14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Didn't their O-Line have a ton of injuries though?

Yes. They were also hit with covid a bunch

12 minutes ago, jojodancer said:

I think you worked a little too hard on that! 😄 Hurts is a winner. He will prove that out. Well Wentz, we already know what that cat is. I'll go with the 23 year old with a solid 1st full season (pro bowl alternate) than the over-rated & overpaid, scared deer in the headlights guy.

I respect your faith in him. I'm curious if you're going to stay when he eventually is replaced or if you're just a fan of his

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

That "Not WR to throw to" is bothering me lol

Yes. They were also hit with covid a bunch

I respect your faith in him. I'm curious if you're going to stay when he eventually is replaced or if you're just a clone of @HazletonEagle

FYP

19 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

There is nothing wrong with racial disparities in any hiring process as long as they aren't due to racism. You hire the people you feel are best for the job and it shakes out how it shakes out. And if you find out that a team has purposely neglected someone due to skin color, then they should be punished severely.

The problem is whenever there is any inequity, people assume the reason is racism. They don't analyze it below surface level.

Problem is that proving racist hiring decisions in a small sample is almost impossible unless people are stupid enough to put it in an e-mail, hearsay (I heard someone say someone else said something) is inadmissible. And the people directly responsible usually deny intent. Often, bias is implicit, so you can't show that it was directly involved in decision making.

So most of the time the evidence is statistical over a large sample, or by experiment (numerous examples of sending out identical resumes with the only difference being an Afro-American sounding name, with differential rates of acceptance that can only be explained by racism).

6 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Well racial disparities in hiring practices are evidence of racism when the candidate pool is otherwise racially diverse.  The reality is that every person has biases.  Some of those biases are cultural in nature and play out in the form of race based bias.  Race isn't a biological reality it is a social construct.  What makes a bias racism is when it plays out to deprive people of opportunity based on race.  I would agree that sham interviews deprive people of opportunities that they otherwise deserve based on merit.  

Not necessarily. If you hire a white coach because you like his scheme better or the interview had better chemistry then it has nothing to do with racism. Inequities in any of themselves are not proof of bias necessarily. Each hire has to be analyzed on an individual basis. People like to paint a broad brush and make generalizations about every team. It’s not how it works, it’s pretty lazy.

And the interview process is the opportunity, getting the job is the outcome. The reason equity is so toxic is because equity, at least how it’s used today = equality of outcome. No system in any walk of society can function properly with equality of outcome based practices. It doesn’t work.

2 minutes ago, greend said:

FYP

Never understood why people make clones

Honestly if I was mod I'd ban someone doing it 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I can’t throw a 95 mph fastball.  Few can.  But Hurts can throw a 60 yard pass.  And his mechanics suggest that he can improve his velocity.  I don’t think arm strength is the issue.  Now some of his balls were off target long.  Biggest issue there was release point and trigger.   Unfortunately, those weren’t just flawed mechanically but also mentally, seeing and trusting the read.  Not sure that can be fixed. So we both have doubts about Hurts, just coming at it from a different approach. 

They can be fixed. Now will they be fixed? That's a different question. But we've seen QBs make great strides their first few years.

Of course, few teams will give a QB five years to become competent, Eli was lucky to be a #1 pick. First four seasons:

Completion, 48.2%, 52.8%, 57.7%, 56.1%, QBR ---, ---, 48.6, 52.2.  NY/A 4.57, 6.12, 5.59, 5.61.

And he couldn't run a lick. 😄

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Not necessarily. If you hire a white coach because you like his scheme better or the interview had better chemistry then it has nothing to do with racism. Inequities in any of themselves are not proof of bias necessarily. Each hire has to be analyzed on an individual basis. People like to paint a broad brush and make generalizations about every team. It’s not how it works, it’s pretty lazy.

And the interview process is the opportunity, getting the job is the outcome. The reason equity is so toxic is because equity, at least how it’s used today = equality of outcome. No system in any walk of society can function properly with equality of outcome based practices. It doesn’t work.

Yet this is the nonsense everyone is striving for. How could anyone with any pride be ok with being hired not based on merit, but on melanin level?

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Problem is that proving racist hiring decisions in a small sample is almost impossible unless people are stupid enough to put it in an e-mail, hearsay (I heard someone say someone else said something) is inadmissible. And the people directly responsible usually deny intent. Often, bias is implicit, so you can't show that it was directly involved in decision making.

So most of the time the evidence is statistical over a large sample, or by experiment (numerous examples of sending out identical resumes with the only difference being an Afro-American sounding name, with differential rates of acceptance that can only be explained by racism).

This is correct, it is hard to prove. But that’s the breaks. There can be bias in any hiring practices, but the solutions to these problems proposed tend to be much worse ideas. Like the new rule that says every team is required to hire a minority or a woman. Completely unconstitutional. It sets a terrible precedent. Then eventually that leads to "you’ve already filled your quota of ____ ethnicity, you can no longer hire more of those individuals”

And if you think that is far fetched and will never happen, see what Harvard has done with Asian applicants and the lawsuit filed against Harvard for discrimination based on race. Which is always the endgame of any equity practice gone too far. More discrimination, just in the other direction.

5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

They can be fixed. Now will they be fixed? That's a different question. But we've seen QBs make great strides their first few years.

Of course, few teams will give a QB five years to become competent, Eli was lucky to be a #1 pick. First four seasons:

Completion, 48.2%, 52.8%, 57.7%, 56.1%, QBR ---, ---, 48.6, 52.2.  NY/A 4.57, 6.12, 5.59, 5.61.

And he couldn't run a lick. 😄

Eli was an average at best QB almost his whole career. Carried to the Super Bowls by defense and some flukey plays. His INTs are insane. 

1 hour ago, RLC said:

A lot of people in the blog have said that all job interviews are merit-based and to just "hire the best person"

Titans wanted to offer their interim head coach the job.  I always favored promoting from within as an executive. But that didn’t preclude me from interviewing outside candidates. The goal was to find the best candidate.  Titans interviewed Doug Marrone in that interview besides Horton and Austin.  (I suspect Austin will be a head coach at some point.)   Tampa waited to promote Bowles to get clarification of the Rooney rule.  Sometimes the rule doesn’t work.  But the point is getting the interview. Anytime you get your foot in the door, you have a chance to shine.  

4 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Can't we all just get along? 

Shut your face northie

37 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Brady has nothing to do with it, hurts wasn't playing against Brady, he was playing against the Tampa D which is a really good D and the Tampa DC showed the whole league that hurts can't read a defense quick enough to defeat it and he said it so the whole world can hear it

What happened to Mahomes in the playoffs? Did he suddenly lose his QB skills in the second half?

Or did Cincy do what TB did - take away your two top receiving threats and dare you to win with the rest of your skill players.

TB took Smith and Goedert out of the game, and that left Watkins, who ran some bad routes. Not to say Hurts was blameless, but when a QB looks hesitant, it's usually because his first and second reads are covered and his other targets are struggling to get separation in time.

Eagles need more balance on their offense, and for the OL to play together in pass protection with a young QB (i.e., Hurts getting more confidence in and a better feel for his protection). And one key is that receiver who gets open quickly underneath, the QB's security blanket, whether a big possession WR, a quick slot WR or a H-back who runs underneath routes and blocks out defenders. The other key is a reliable power back - in games against tough defenses, those tough runs are the difference between 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 9.

37 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

There is nothing wrong with racial disparities in any hiring process as long as they aren't due to racism. You hire the people you feel are best for the job and it shakes out how it shakes out. And if you find out that a team has purposely neglected someone due to skin color, then they should be punished severely.

The problem is whenever there is any inequity, people assume the reason is racism. They don't analyze it below surface level.

What is ironic is you present this superficial analysis while claiming others fail to go below surface level.  You completely ignore that for many people in evaluating who they feel are best for the job, they are doing so with subconscious racism.  Many people not coincidentally conclude that the best person for the job is someone like them.  

4 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Eli was an average at best QB almost his whole career. Carried to the Super Bowls by defense and some flukey plays. His INTs are insane. 

He went from bottom 10 to middle of the pack with experience. At his best he was a solid but nothing special QB. But those first four seasons . . .

8 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

We just picked a supreme court judge solely based on her color... NOTHING in this country will surprise me going forward. 

How do her credentials compare to Amy Comey Barrett?

10 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Yet this is the nonsense everyone is striving for. How could anyone with any pride be ok with being hired not based on merit, but on melanin level?

Beats unemployment.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Or did Cincy do what TB did - take away your two top receiving threats and dare you to win with the rest of your skill players.

TB took Smith and Goedert out of the game, and that left Watkins, who ran some bad routes.

No, they took away the running game and dared Hurts to beat them with his arm, he could not.

Honestly, this is the most blatantly and unapologetically racist board I ever visit.  Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of Eagles message boards.  If there was a feature where the only posts that appeared are people giving me tweets on Eagles news and rumors, I'd sign up for that in a second.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

What happened to Mahomes in the playoffs? Did he suddenly lose his QB skills in the second half?

TB took Smith and Goedert out of the game, and that left Watkins, who ran some bad routes. Not to say Hurts was blameless, but when a QB looks hesitant, it's usually because his first and second reads are covered and his other targets are struggling to get separation in time.

Eagles need more balance on their offense, and for the OL to play together in pass protection with a young QB (i.e., Hurts getting more confidence in and a better feel for his protection). And one key is that receiver who gets open quickly underneath, the QB's security blanket, whether a big possession WR, a quick slot WR or a H-back who runs underneath routes and blocks out defenders. The other key is a reliable power back - in games against tough defenses, those tough runs are the difference between 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 9.

Honestly it looked like Mahomes took the 2nd half off. He was still pretty lights out when he didn't have any tackles in their last SB. They lost but he was making crazy throws and putting the team on his back. Mahomes and the Chiefs pretty much got lazy and content in the 2nd half. Not sure what else to call it. They had the game but gave up

I don't have the energy to go back and figure out why the Blog is tackling systemic racism today, so just mark me down as being on the opposite side of whatever position Bacarty took.

Archived