EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Prove it.

:lol: Please, provide examples.

This is my position. She's definitely qualified, yet they sullied her achievement by explicitly limiting the hiring pool beforehand to only black women. Had Joe just nominated her without doing the circle jerk beforehand and celebrated AFTER her appointment, it would have been received far better.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-59686-0_9

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.372.6928&rep=rep1&type=pdf

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Prove it.

:lol: Please, provide examples.

This is my position. She's definitely qualified, yet they sullied her achievement by explicitly limiting the hiring pool beforehand to only black women. Had Joe just nominated her without doing the circle jerk beforehand and celebrated AFTER her appointment, it would have been received far better.

Yup exactly!

22 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Titans wanted to offer their interim head coach the job.  I always favored promoting from within as an executive. But that didn’t preclude me from interviewing outside candidates. The goal was to find the best candidate.  Titans interviewed Doug Marrone in that interview besides Horton and Austin.  (I suspect Austin will be a head coach at some point.)   Tampa waited to promote Bowles to get clarification of the Rooney rule.  Sometimes the rule doesn’t work.  But the point is getting the interview. Anytime you get your foot in the door, you have a chance to shine.  

Honestly if I like one of my employees to fill an opening I almost always give them the shot if they are qualified. 

Don't make me pull this Blog over!

CVON folks.

9 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Or Gorush or Thomas or Alito, none of which are impressive jurists. Same for Sotomayer.

Kagan is a cut above, as is Kavanaugh (despite lying about his drinking history, which was a mistake, should have just admitted to youthful indiscretions, apologized and moved on).

Breyer and Roberts were the only two that I'd consider first rate intellects.

But that's par for the course for the Court.

I have no problem with a President saying they want to appoint a certain demographic to an open seat.  I had no problem when Trump said he would appoint a woman.  There are eminently qualified people from every background and so having a goal of the Court better reflecting the overall country as a way of separating among all of these qualified people is perfectly fine with me.

12 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

Sorry how is any of this racism? 

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Well, since most elite jobs are obtained through connections, the only way to equalize opportunity is to equalize the people in position to provide those connections.

Unfortunately, there is no "right" solution, only ad hoc policies that try to address past injustices while limiting future harm.

Look at Silicon Valley, while these are talented people, they also limited opportunities to people in their circle, mostly white engineers who went to Stanford. Now I suspect there's a much wider circle of talent but without access to seed capital and the right connections, they have limited opportunities to compete.

Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean we have to accept systematic inequities as given. But there are no easy answers.

I agree that we need to find better solutions to prop up those who are disadvantaged or haven't gotten opportunities. I am a major supporter of equal opportunities. Unfortunately, and again, I don't know if the NFL is going to get here, but I've seen too many institutions take the equality of outcome route, which is just disastrous. Anything from lowering standards of acceptance, getting rid of entrance exams, axing gifted courses in schools, flat out discriminating against certain ethnicities because "there are too many of you," offering free services for select ethnicities only but the rest have to pay full price, etc. Do I think it's likely the NFL will get there? Probably not. Fing with a successful business model too much by owners is unlikely. But I've seen billion dollar corporations cave to vocal minorities of activists before. So it wouldn't be the first time.

1 minute ago, greend said:

Sorry how is any of this racism? 

You're kidding right?  A guy saying "what a world" where a black person with the same title can make more than a white person?  As if that hasn't been the experience of black people and woman throughout history?

Let me just remind everyone that the blog is reserved for people complaining about the team's black quarterback being handed the starting job because of systemic biases against white people.

There are other forums to discuss how systemic biases against white people are costing them Supreme Court justice positions. Please remember to use the correct forum to air your grievances.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

How else do you propose that I prove to you that implicit bias is a thing?  

Just now, Peppersmacks said:

You're kidding right?  A guy saying "what a world" where a black person with the same title can make more than a white person?  As if that hasn't been the experience of black people and woman throughout history?

So then your opinion is racism is ok, but only if the white guy is on the short end of the stick?

Just now, Peppersmacks said:

How else do you propose that I prove to you that implicit bias is a thing?  

The point is...you can't.

Just now, Outlaw said:

The point is...you can't.

Which is why I'm linking you to academic articles that have studied it.  But if by I "can't" is meant that it's just not something you're willing to accept or consider then ok.

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Let me just remind everyone that the blog is reserved for people complaining about the team's black quarterback being handed the starting job because of systemic biases against white people.

No.  We are complaining about Hurts being the starter because he is not very good at being a QB.

I wanted Watson or Wilson, so I am clearly racist.

1 minute ago, Peppersmacks said:

Ummm, that's not what he said. That said the rest of your post is true and that's racism. No person should be treated differently (better or worse) or given opportunity because of their race or sex. 

4 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Would be great if board would fall to us like this with no trades 

image.thumb.png.674cc1d3f78249fb8cede241f467907b.png

Did your parents put C+ tests on your refrigerator growing up?

39 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Well racial disparities in hiring practices are evidence of racism when the candidate pool is otherwise racially diverse.  The reality is that every person has biases.  Some of those biases are cultural in nature and play out in the form of race based bias.  Race isn't a biological reality it is a social construct.  What makes a bias racism is when it plays out to deprive people of opportunity based on race.  I would agree that sham interviews deprive people of opportunities that they otherwise deserve based on merit.  

Always did my first interviews by phone.  Couldn’t tell race.  Not influenced by appearance at all.  Influenced by the answers.  Influenced by what they told me about themselves as a  person. Second interviews were in person.  In today’s Zoom and Skype world, I think I would still do that. 

18 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

How do her credentials compare to Amy Comey Barrett?

Did the President announce that he was going to appoint a white female followed by the appointment of Amy Comey Barrett?

The problem is the current President said he was going to hire a black woman to the SC.  If Ketanji Brown Jackson was the best candidate after a thorough search and interview process then that would be great.  However, that's not the case.  If you're OK with that thought process and think it's a fair process I'd love to hear why.  Forget about white men or women...think about all of the other minority candidates not even considered.  I think it's important to remember that black people aren't the only minorities in America but it seems they are the most valuable to people who go by identity politics. 

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Did your parents put C+ tests on your refrigerator growing up?

A C+ with the curve in this group is an A+

Not sure how they give me an F for Sam Williams in the 3rd and a D+ for Danny Gray in the 5th but tis what it tis

I forget why did the RB"s not run the shuttle or 3 cone at the combine again?

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Did the President announce that he was going to appoint a white female followed by the appointment of Amy Comey Barrett?

He said he was going to appoint a woman.  And thank you for chiming in as you are the guy I view as the most racist on this board.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/politics/trump-supreme-court-woman-nominee-2020/index.html

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

1:16 left in the 1st quarter....horrendous throw, mechanics and decision by Jalen HURTS  Not Reagor. Scoring area.  taking at least 3 points off the board 

:08 left in the 1st half.  Another terrible decision, poor mechanics and just overall bad awareness.  Interception.  Taking at least 3 points off the board.  Jalen HURTS....Not Reagor.

Game was lost in the first half.  Long before you could use Reagor as a scape goat.  

Eagles vs. Giants Week 12 Highlights | NFL 2021 - YouTube

Dude

Hurts was 7-15 for 72 yards and 2 interceptions in the first half.  Obviously everyone else fault.

Archived