EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

The blog has gotten way off track here with the race stuff, so I'm gonna try to bring it back with my new mock draft

833997282_pff_mock_results(4).thumb.png.6952b72d0e1210de2fd94cb32605be2a.png

Thoughts?

I like Wattenberg much more than Lindstrom.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Kyzir White is my favorite offseason addition 

Let's hope he continues to develop, the Eagles use him right and if so they lock him up for the prime of his career. 

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Let's hope he continues to develop, the Eagles use him right and if so they lock him up for the prime of his career. 

Why would they lock him up, he didn't do anything wrong, racist.

15 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I understand that personal preference and preference for offensive coaches plays a role but from a legal standpoint a disparity is evidence of race based discrimination.  I mean coaches fail more often than they succeed.  It's not like the system works to get the best candidates.   Equity is toxic when unqualified people are given opportunities.  The same can be said for nepotism, cronyism and host of other isms that are just as negative.  The next job given to the Britt Reid's of the world is much more toxic than any opportunity given to someone because of race.  

Do you mean for just the NFL or in general? I don't think that's true in general. If disparities can be explained with data and evidence, then you can disprove racial discrimination. Most, but not all inequities in society have nothing to do with racism... or sexism for that matter.

At the end of the day the only way to achieve completely 100% fair and unbiased systems with no preferences, relationships, etc is to strip the human element out of all elements. Which I think ends up doing more harm than good in the end and creating more problems than it fixes.

Just now, downundermike said:

Maybe he’s kinky. 

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Kyzir Ain’t White is my favorite offseason addition 

Racist!

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

because I'm the most racist guy on these boards that's why.  

14 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Well there goes the problem. The people who feel they are qualified and not getting opportunities disagree with you. They don’t have 100 years to wait until it’s less of an issue. it’s easy to say "eventually it’ll work itself out” when you’re the benefactor of waiting. 

It’s a difficult topic, and some of you guys have very strong feelings on both sides. So I will bow out of this one. 

Still hoping we get rid of Hurts!

Racist!

:unsure:

:lol:

2 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Heard the situation is being monitored.

If the Eagles do not trade for Cooks they are clearly r................................................................ebuilding

4 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

No, bad Howie.  Bad.   

2 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

I wonder what his cost would be.  I'm guessing around a 3rd and if so I don't think I'd do it.  

37 minutes ago, greend said:

Why Race Matters - Foster2Forever | Martin luther king quotes, King quotes,  Mlk quotes

Yes but he walked that back later and embraced affirmative action.  Bit of cherry picking history with that one.  (Don’t worry, most historians do it.)

Problem is most attempts at improving diversity must rely in part on a level of discrimination.  We saw one of those with hiring over the last few years.  Some of the old white guys that got laid off had difficulty getting back in the workforce to the point we had some retiring earlier than they wanted.  I know several that lost out on positions to similarly or less qualified women or minorities. Now, old white guys probably were making more money in their previous jobs and there may have been a bit of wage inequality involved with the hiring decision, but I also suspect there was a bit of "we have plenty of old white guys, we need to diversify the workforce so let’s go with the woman and/or minority candidate.  We can do without that bit of extra experience the old white guy has.”  There is no simple solution as the NFL has learned with the Rooney rule now version 4.0.  As I said at the start of this conversation, that is why I suspect the Flores suit may do more harm than good.

No clue who this guy is but this would shock me if it came to pass after the trade we made:

30 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Anyone know anything about Tycen Anderson?  Dude blew up the combine

Safety 

6 foot 2 209 pounds 
4.36 40  (tied for 2nd for safeties)
35.5 vert
123 broad
6.64 3 cone (3rd for all positions)
4.28 shuttle (4th for Safeties and tied for 15th overall)

Know o nothing about him but those are great testing numbers.

4 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

No clue who this guy is

Well, does not like Hurts, and is white.  So I can confidently say he is racist.

Three-Point Stance: Heisman contenders, top freshmen, recruiting boosts

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lots of smoke here. I don't see it happening though. 

Eagles are interested in everyone but unfortunately it's not reciprocated

46 minutes ago, greend said:

Why Race Matters - Foster2Forever | Martin luther king quotes, King quotes,  Mlk quotes

Unfortunately, as numerous studies show, we are a long way from color blind hiring.

Some of this is due to racism (white people who pretend it's a thing of the past are ostriches), some due to classism, some due to historical legacies (economic studies have show that slavery, war and other historically traumatic events can reverberate for literally centuries in terms of opportunity).

This is because things like slavery, Jim Crow, redlining, discriminatory hiring, even if ostensibly ended after the Civil Rights Act (\numerous studies show that there is still overt discrimination based on color, nationality and age in hiring), would impact black Americans for decades to come - the inability to build up human and financial capital (homeownership, which was blocked, is a key component of middle class asset building) cripples future generations.

I have a simple principle for non-discrimination, equal outcomes for the mediocre. Outliers are evidence of nothing, that's why they're "outliers." I have met numerous successful but dumb white men whose primary virtue was coming out of upper middle class homes, getting into good schools through legacy admissions, affording the right frat, and having the right contacts.

Now how to deal with historical legacies is tricky, should an upper middle class black kid have a preference over a working class white kid?

My solution is to focus on class, whether you're a descendant of slaves or of slave owners, winning or losing the "sperm" lottery is the most important factor in success for most people (social mobility is lower in the US than most industrialized countries, so much for the "American Dream"). Since minorities compose a higher proportion of poor and working class people, policies to aid those groups will disproportionately aid minorities without actively discriminating against "white people" (whatever that means). An example would be free community college, providing a way to obtain skills and subsidize a college degree (b/c you can transfer credits and only need 2-3 years to get a BA).

38 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I understand that personal preference and preference for offensive coaches plays a role but from a legal standpoint a disparity is evidence of race based discrimination.  I mean coaches fail more often than they succeed.  It's not like the system works to get the best candidates.   Equity is toxic when unqualified people are given opportunities.  The same can be said for nepotism, cronyism and host of other isms that are just as negative.  The next job given to the Britt Reid's of the world is much more toxic than any opportunity given to someone because of race.  

Weidl’s son works for the Eagles as Director of College Scouting.  It is possible it is a merit hire. Some kids learn from their parents.

5 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

No clue who this guy is but this would shock me if it came to pass after the trade we made:

i would have to pay howie a visit

beat.gif

35 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

He's a Zach Tom.

Speaking of Zach Tom, here’s my new mock draft 

0A6735F6-325C-4E1B-8586-84AB2E98FD5A.png

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

Let me just remind everyone that the blog is reserved for people complaining about the team's black quarterback being handed the starting job because of systemic biases against white people.

There are other forums to discuss how systemic biases against white people are costing them Supreme Court justice positions. Please remember to use the correct forum to air your grievances.

1 hour ago, Peppersmacks said:

Honestly, this is the most blatantly and unapologetically racist board I ever visit.  Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of Eagles message boards.  If there was a feature where the only posts that appeared are people giving me tweets on Eagles news and rumors, I'd sign up for that in a second.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

11 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I’m a stickler for the term "systemic racism.” It’s thrown around a lot, but few can actually point to specifically what systems they’re talking about and what about the systems specifically are racist.

Regardless, interviewing better isn’t necessarily related to any bias. Maybe one candidate is just more affable and charismatic than another. Generally, I think bias is perfectly fine and normal. Wanting an offensive coach over defensive coach is a bias. Preferring a disciplinarian over a mild mannered coach is a bias. Wanting an eye test guy over an analytics guy is a bias.

Outside of sports, wanting to date a blonde over a brunette is a bias. We all have biases.

Systemic racism applies to systems like racially restrictive covenants on deeds, redlining minority neighborhoods for financing by banks, USDA loans by local offices not loaning money to minority farmers, minorities being excluded from jury pools by white prosecutors, race based hiring and promotion practices, schools that discipline black students more than whites, or hold racially segregate proms,  there's a host of other examples where you can see wholesale discrimination against minorities. I am not sure why people are shocked. Any system that creates disparate outcomes for races has a  I mean how many time have you been in a situation where someone made a  racist remark?  Have you never seen someone treated differently because of their race? Have you never tried to google the term? It's not that hard to figure out and it shouldn't be hard to empathize with people when they are subjected to it.  

Archived