EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Well, I love everything they did this weekend except the WR investment.  But that's over and done with now and WR is set (for better or worse) for a while.

When Reagor was a rookie, it was apparent that they needed to pre-chew and pre-digest what they threw at him.  He wasn't going to be someone that "got it" quickly.  I didn't want the stress of PR duty to set him off course as a WR.  Reagor has a lot of shortcomings and I am NOT singularly blaming his WR failure on PR duty...but it didn't help.

Now that he is well out of the picture at WR and we don't have a PR...not that I'd trust him...but they might as well make him focus on that.  His opportunity to contribute to the team is as a PR.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eagle45 said:

Well, I love everything they did this weekend except the WR investment.  But that's over and done with now and WR is set (for better or worse) for a while.

When Reagor was a rookie, it was apparent that they needed to pre-chew and pre-digest what they threw at him.  He wasn't going to be someone that "got it" quickly.  I didn't want the stress of PR duty to set him off course as a WR.  Reagor has a lot of shortcomings and I am NOT singularly blaming his WR failure on PR duty...but it didn't help.

Now that he is well out of the picture at WR and we don't have a PR...not that I'd trust him...but they might as well make him focus on that.  His opportunity to contribute to the team is as a PR.

Not with Covey here now.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Brady got it when Bledsoe got hurt.  Warner got it when Trent Green was injured.   I forget how Romo got his shot, but he got one.  Prescott got his when Romo couldn't play.  

But, with the way that this team plays in PS... Strong might get 3/4 of most of the games to show his wares.  

Those are all the best examples.  However, Bledsoe, Trent Green, and Romo were all a hell of a lot better than Hurts.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I forget how Romo got his shot, but he got one.

Bledsoe was involved in that one too, he either got hurt, was benched or something and Romo took over.

Just now, eagle45 said:

Those are all the best examples.  However, Bledsoe, Trent Green, and Romo were all a hell of a lot better than Hurts.

Also true.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Bledsoe was involved in that one too, he either got hurt, was benched or something and Romo took over.

Yes and that was season 4 of Romo's career too IIRC.

Romo also started as the 3rd QB on the Cowboys depth chart. I wouldn't completely dismiss Strong because he went undrafted and will likely be the 3rd QB on the depth chart, anything can happen.

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Brady got it when Bledsoe got hurt.  Warner got it when Trent Green was injured.   I forget how Romo got his shot, but he got one.  Prescott got his when Romo couldn't play.  

But, with the way that this team plays in PS... Strong might get 3/4 of most of the games to show his wares.  

Embrace it and just add a #formerlyFerris in your sig.  :lol: 

That's why I have ferris 3.0 under the name, even though at this point I'm pretty sure we're at a way higher version of ferris haha!

42 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Not to be a nattering nabob of negativity but if he were really healthy or even close to healthy he would have been drafted. This is too good to be true.

Well, Dean fell 2 rounds lower than he should have because of medicals that the eagles feel are perfectly fine too.

I know this is different because this guy fell through the entire draft. Ill address this with a slight bit of rationality once and then jump back on the hype train. Even if he were to red-shirt (and I dont expect that will happen), this is still a homerun pick. If they had to give him this entire year to rehab it, give it time to heal more, even have another surgery...fine. There is exactly 1 other QB in this draft who may be capable of starting day 1, and thats Pickett. Basically everyone got a red-shirt QB anyway, and drafted them rounds earlier. Eagles got QB1 in the entire draft without using a pick. 

Why are we giving so many UDFA s big contracts and signing on fees? Seems a lot more than normal? Is it simply because we’ve had less picks ? 

47 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Not to be a nattering nabob of negativity but if he were really healthy or even close to healthy he would have been drafted. This is too good to be true.

It's possible.  But, it's also possible that he wasn't even on some boards for fear of the knee, as Metcalf wasn't on some boards due to his neck, etc.   

Time will ultimately tell.

Just now, rrfierce said:

Why are we giving so many UDFA s big contracts and signing on fees? Seems a lot more than normal? Is it simply because we’ve had less picks ? 

It's a negotiating point with them...more money gtd = better chance they'll sign coupled with 'job security' for them.

1 minute ago, rrfierce said:

I think it was due to two factors...  Fewer picks and more depth in the draft.  So, by putting more money into the UDFAs, they could target guys that were at the top of their list and land more of them, and some of these are guys that would have been 5th rounders in other years.  Whereas last years' group of 6th rounders would have been UDFAs in other years.

I'm too lazy to google right now, but going back to the romo discussion. The Bledsoe_era led to the Romo_era because the QuincyCarter_Era was an epic failure right?...lol Cowboys.

4 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

I'm too lazy to google right now, but going back to the romo discussion. The Bledsoe_era led to the Romo_era because the QuincyCarter_Era was an epic failure right?...lol Cowboys.

Whoa... Good memory.  Carter was also pick #53.  🤔
Carter failed, they brought in Bledsoe, which led to Romo.

10 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

That's part of it. One of the talking points this year about UDFAs was that because a lot of players stayed an extra year last year cause of COVID limited seasons, the overall quality of undrafted players this year was going to be high. Makes sense to spend if that's the case. 

Now that Foles is a UFA, I'd strongly consider signing him and trade Minshew (who wants a real chance to start anyway).

Teams without legitimate back up QBs:

• Texans (Driskel)
  • Colts (Ehlinger)
  • Jaguards (Beatherd)
  • Broncos (Rypien)
  • Chiefs (Henne)
  • Raiders (Mullens)
  • Lions (Boyle)
  • Vikings (Mannion)
  • Seattle: Minshew would start

Honestly, the Seahawks should trade for Minshew. He's better than Lock and Geno Smith. He also won't wreck their cap like Baker or Jimmy G would.

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Now that Foles is a UFA, I'd strongly consider signing him and trade Minshew (who wants a real chance to start anyway).

• Texans (Driskel)
  • Colts (Ehlinger)
  • Jaguards (Beatherd)
  • Broncos (Rypien)
  • Chiefs (Henne)
  • Raiders (Mullens)
  • Lions (Boyle)
  • Vikings (Mannion)

Honestly, the Seahawks should trade for Minshew. He's better than Lock and Geno Smith. He also won't wreck their cap like Baker or Jimmy G would.

That's a good idea.  Foles as the backup to our new QB1 would make a ton of sense.  Similar play style and can mentor him.   Love it!

(btw, there is a deep dip of sarcasm here for those who can't figure it out)

1 minute ago, RLC said:

• Texans (Driskel)
  • Colts (Ehlinger)
  • Jaguards (Beatherd)
  • Broncos (Rypien)
  • Chiefs (Henne)
  • Raiders (Mullens)
  • Lions (Boyle)
  • Vikings (Mannion)

I’m ok with the Foles era being left where it is…he’ll never have to buy his own beer in Philly.  His magic here will always be remembered.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/02/the-doctor-is-in-what-to-make-of-carson-strongs-knee-issue/

Best information I've seen.

He's more mobile than he was at the start of the season.  He came back very early from the injury and was still rehabbing as the season went on.  He's about on Nick Foles' level of movement.  

In other words, if you blink, you miss him.

12 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Because Howie has hit on a few of these picks in the past and realizes you can get tremendous value for very little.  It's almost a no-brainer.  It's worth it even if just one guy pans out. 

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Well, the Hurts humpers and I now have something in common in that we both want Minshew off the roster.

Minshew will be the perfect back up to Strong, and have no issue backing up a guy with far superior arm talent

4 minutes ago, McMVP said:

I’m ok with the Foles era being left where it is…he’ll never have to buy his own beer in Philly.  His magic here will always be remembered.

NOBODY PUTS FOLES_ERA IN THE CORNER!

Here's something no one will agree with:

I like that they didn't address the secondary.  That's not because I like what we have (I don't, no one does).

The elite talents went off the board early.  The appealing safety prospects went earlier than expected.  The board didn't break for us to draft a DB.

I'd rather have a center that checks all the boxes, a LB that checks all the boxes...both with nice upside...than draft a DB who will not be very good just so we can say we drafted a DB.  Even with Kyron Johnson, they basically got a Davion Taylor like prospect 3 rounds later.  You aren't going to get a DB with that kind of upside in round 6.  At LB...you can and they did.

We aren't competing for a SB next year, so not every single position needs to be tied up in a bow.  That's how you end up with some bad investments.

31 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

If Strong is killing it in camp, I wonder if Hurts will bang the table to play more in the preseason games so everyone does not get to see it ??

Archived