EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

9 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

How is it that the backups have a better arm than the starter?

Not nearly as good legs though. It depends on what you think is important, I guess. I wonder if what's between the ears isn't more important that arms or legs but what do I know.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eglz1 said:

Not nearly as good legs though. It depends on what you think is important, I guess. I wonder if what's between the ears isn't more important that arms or legs but what do I know.

Seeing as how a QB is throwing the ball I'd rank arm>legs

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

image.gif.c8caa72a2f62de7076d7e7c8d372680f.gifYou don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out a clear joke, and here we are. 

Are all your Carson Strong posts jokes? It is hard to tell.

The team is certainly a lot more interesting now and will be even more so if they sign honey badger, but it’s hard to get legit excited until the team adds a QB. Get PTSD to so many games last year like the Carolina game, Bucs playoff game, Giants game, Niners game where the offense could get absolutely nothing going and the QB was totally inept.

Another under the radar talked about thing too: Sirianni. Still not sure how good he is if he’s even good at all. The best thing the Eagles did last year was adjust to running the football a lot, which is not exactly offensive scheming genius. Everyone knew that needed to happen back in like week 4.

If the offense still can’t throw the ball next season, of course it will be an indictment on Hurts, but curious how much Howie and Lurie will view it as an indictment on Sirianni. I think he at least gets a chance until they allow him to coach a legit QB. Barring something unforeseen like having a colossally disappointing season and the  Eagles winning 4 games.

54 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

I'm putting it out here now:

EJ Perry beats out Carson Strong for 3rd QB.

If the Eagles are 100% committed to Hurts, that means they have to build the offense to fit his skillset.  Perry would make the most logical sense in that if Hurts goes down, he could come in and run the same offense.

I think it's a mistake to build around Hurts skillset because that skillset is running.  

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Another under the radar talked about thing too: Sirianni. Still not sure how good he is if he’s even good at all. The best thing the Eagles did last year was adjust to running the football a lot, which is not exactly offensive scheming genius. Everyone knew that needed to happen back in like week 4.

Are you sure? Andy Reid is regarded as an offensive Guru by some and he certainly seemed to have a problem adjusting to running the ball when the pass wasn't working.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

On the AJ Brown trade, the plus side goes beyond the visible talent on the field. 

The HonestNFL guy talked about every WR other than Smith not knowing what he was doing out there when it comes to hot routes or option routes or things like that. You could potentially take that as an excuse for Hurts being hesitant to throw the ball so many times last year. Or missing open WRs. Because maybe he didnt see them, because they werent where they should have been.

The eagles signed Paschal to help with all that. They needed a vet in that WR room, and he was familiar with the offense to boot.  But come on... its Paschal. Not exciting.

Now you added another vet. Who knows what he is doing. And is capable of doing it at a dominating level. 

Now you have 2 starting WRs who know what theyre doing. 

Not only does Hurts lose the excuse of lacking proven talent. But he also loses the excuse that the WRs didnt know where to be and werent running the right things. 

And mayyybe, theres a slim hope of Hurts actually looking way better because of this also. 

Hurts will still look like crap, but it may be covered a bit because of the talent around him. The good thing is I think it will make people want to come here. I'm sure Strong had other options, but that line and skill positions are an easy sell.

I’m not so quick to look at the last few days and scream contenders but this team seemingly changed a good bit over the weekend. I think playoffs are a lock because the NFC sucks.

If we had a QB, I would say this team could compete with anyone in the NFC (assuming we add Mathieu or anything at all at safety).

24 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

We’ve got a Strong Stroker on the roster!

May not be "we” much longer for Wallace.  He has to step up and also show that he can be available this year.  He should challenge both Epps and Harris for a starting position. Schwartz said two years to develop. Wallace is now into year three. 

My feeling on CB is just let the young guys battle it out. Let's see if someone emerges. I don't see a great reason to go with a declining vet. On S I just don't see the internal prospects that would keep you from signing a Mathieu.  Even if a guy emerges he could take Harris spot 

16 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Are all your Carson Strong posts jokes? It is hard to tell.

"All my Carson Strong posts”

1. "Stroking for Strong”

2. "we have a Strong Stroker on the roster”

Gee. I wonder?? Really hard to tell what’s going on here. 

55 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think hes the more apt candidate. Strong is actually really good and should be making the team. Hes not going to last on a PS. As soon as there is any inkling he is healthy enough to be playing football any other team would be signing him. He will have a roster spot as QB3 to begin the year. Pretty much a guarantee.

Covey is more of the lesser known guy. Who probably belonged late rounds or UDFA. Whos best shot is making a team as a UDFA. But he looks like he has the ability to make some explosive plays in pre-season and really win people over. 

and we're desperate for a PR

2 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

My feeling on CB is just let the young guys battle it out. Let's see if someone emerges. I don't see a great reason to go with a declining vet. On S I just don't see the internal prospects that would keep you from signing a Mathieu.  Even if a guy emerges he could take Harris spot 

We didn’t sign Nelson until they realized CB2 wasn’t on the roster last year. I fully expect them to let the youngsters compete and reassess around that time again.

58 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I believe that was because the coaches couldn’t tell Newman and Hurts apart, and one of them had to go

Newman didn’t come into mini camp in the best shape of his life and did not impress with his drive, commitment. Eagles were quick to move on.

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

"All my Carson Strong posts”

1. "Stroking for Strong”

2. "we have a Strong Stroker on the roster”

Gee. I wonder?? Really hard to tell what’s going on here. 

Worst thing about Carson Strong right now is the Philly media is infatuated that there's another QB out there with the first name of Carson and have to make a point of it.  Hope they get that out of their system quick. 

38 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

We’ve got a Strong Stroker on the roster!

It’s because they didn’t draft a safety. KVon approves

3 hours ago, justrelax said:

Johnny Unitas was a 9th-round draft choice of the Steelers who was cut before ever playing a snap. He worked construction and played semi-pro for $6 a game, then went to a Colts tryout with a buddy. He stuck and when the starter went down he got to play. Remember that, back then squads were much smaller, like 35-40 guys. His first pass was intercepted and he fumbled on his second snap.

Kurt Warner was undrafted in 1994. Five years later he managed to get a place on the Rams. When the starter went down, he became the starter.

Both these guys got their shot because the starter went down. Maybe Hurts will tweak a tendon.

So what you're telling me is that no rookie UFA QB has ever won the starting job before.  

Let's say Hurts tweaks a tendon, why exactly is undrafted Carson Strong going in over Minshew at that point? 

45 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

That might be racist. 
 No other teams wanted Newman, that’s not the case for Strong, hence his high salary for an UDFA.  
 Little known issue apparently between Strong, and a Jets coach from the SB.  They are a horizontal passing team, after a comment about Strongs poorly thrown interception, Strong said something about Zach Wilson sucking in a 5 yard passing offense. 
 The rumor was he performed badly in interviews which wasn’t the case, it was more him running the offense the way he wanted, vs what the Jets wanted.   

It might move me into the Sweet 16 ….

I was thinking more in terms of playing style, stature and throwing motion, though.  It is a tiny bit curious that the Eagles would bring in a UFDA QB (and pay top $) to a guy much more in the Philip Rivers mold than a QB in the dual threat mold. 

What about the players that are going to actually play?

10 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

The Eagles will reportedly give him snaps at RG. With his size, athleticism, and now supposedly added strength, it will be interesting to watch.

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

The Eagles will reportedly give him snaps at RG. With his size, athleticism, and now supposedly added strength, it will be interesting to watch.

Salvaging Dillard at RG would be tremendous.  He can't be THAT bad of an athlete that he can't learn how to block at a different position.  

10 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Took me a second to figure out what the dude was talking about, then clicked the tweet for the shirtless sauna selfie. 

Just now, bpac55 said:

Salvaging Dillard at RG would be tremendous.  He can't be THAT bad of an athlete that he can't learn how to block at a different position.  

Agreed, if he can solidify himself as the RG, between Mailata/Dickerson/Jurgens/Dillard, we would have 4/5 of our O-line solidified for the next decade or so.

Here's hoping.

Archived