EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Here's something no one will agree with:

I like that they didn't address the secondary.  That's not because I like what we have (I don't, no one does).

The elite talents went off the board early.  The appealing safety prospects went earlier than expected.  The board didn't break for us to draft a DB.

I'd rather have a center that checks all the boxes, a LB that checks all the boxes...both with nice upside...than draft a DB who will not be very good just so we can say we drafted a DB.  Even with Kyron Johnson, they basically got a Davion Taylor like prospect 3 rounds later.  You aren't going to get a DB with that kind of upside in round 6.  At LB...you can and they did.

We aren't competing for a SB next year, so not every single position needs to be tied up in a bow.  That's how you end up with some bad investments.

I agree with that logic as well

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I like that they didn't address the secondary.  That's not because I like what we have (I don't, no one does).

I'm on-board with you. The board didn't break that way, especially at CB.

RD1: Hamilton the only choice over Davis. We would have all been upset with McDuffie, Hill, Cine at 15.
RD2: They were all gone except Taylor-Britt...who is more of a 3rd rounder
RD3: Only player who made sense was Nick Cross (S). I really liked Cross, but Dean is just a much better prospect. Had Dean been off the board, I think we take Cross.

We didn't reach at all in this draft.

Just now, eagle45 said:

The elite talents went off the board early.  The appealing safety prospects went earlier than expected.  The board didn't break for us to draft a DB.

I'd rather have a center that checks all the boxes, a LB that checks all the boxes...both with nice upside...than draft a DB who will not be very good just so we can say we drafted a DB.  Even with Kyron Johnson, they basically got a Davion Taylor like prospect 3 rounds later.  You aren't going to get a DB with that kind of upside in round 6.  At LB...you can and they did.

We aren't competing for a SB next year, so not every single position needs to be tied up in a bow.  That's how you end up with some bad investments.

I sort of agree. Howie said he wouldnt be reaching for needs because thats got him in trouble in the past. And he didnt. 

Maybe he should have. But he stuck to his board, which is usually a good thing. And made what look to be excellent picks.

Wish we were the Ravens where everything you need just falls in to your lap at whatever pick you are sitting at. But we never get such luck.

At this point, we have a million talented mid-round talents. Jobe and Goodrich are really nice UDFAs most had valued anywhere from 3rd round on. And Im not sure Tay Gowan isnt even better than both of them. The competition will be interesting. And we may have a few weeks to watch it through rookie camp and mini camp until we decide if we need to sign a vet. 

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If Strong is killing it in camp, I wonder if Hurts will bang the table to play more in the preseason games so everyone does not get to see it ??

Hurts got kid gloves even last year despite being a first year starter, I'm not sure much changes, unfortunately.  He was 'anointed' the second Wentz was traded and got 10 year vet treatment.

Jordan Davis, Cam Jurgens, Nkobe Dean, Grant Calcaterra, Kyron Johnson, Carson Strong, Josh Jobe, Mario Goodrich, EJ Perry, Kennedy Brooks, and Noah Elliss. 

A ridiculous draft for Howie. My only worry is Jordan Davis’ availability as a pass rusher on 3rd and 4th down. 

4 minutes ago, RLC said:

I'm on-board with you. The board didn't break that way, especially at CB.

RD1: Hamilton the only choice over Davis. We would have all been upset with McDuffie, Hill, Cine at 15.
RD2: They were all gone except Taylor-Britt...who is more of a 3rd rounder
RD3: Only player who made sense was Nick Cross (S). I really liked Cross, but Dean is just a much better prospect. Had Dean been off the board, I think we take Cross.

We didn't reach at all in this draft.

Had Dean been off the board, we would have traded down.  Supposedly (can't recall where I heard it) that was the plan to recoup some picks, but they couldn't pass up on Dean again.

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I sort of agree. Howie said he wouldnt be reaching for needs because thats got him in trouble in the past. And he didnt. 

Maybe he should have. But he stuck to his board, which is usually a good thing. And made what look to be excellent picks.

Nope nope nope.   That lands Davion Taylor, Jaquann Jarrett and the like.  

Jurgens is a need, for 2023.  Good pick.
Dean is a need now.  Good pick.

Reaching means you still have the same problem you had before, plus a new problem in a year or two.

48 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

They have QB1 now and can go DE, CB, S rounds one and two 😉

Every year I feel like CB and S. But DE has to be in that mix especially with this teams view in the trenches. 

On the AJ Brown trade, the plus side goes beyond the visible talent on the field. 

The HonestNFL guy talked about every WR other than Smith not knowing what he was doing out there when it comes to hot routes or option routes or things like that. You could potentially take that as an excuse for Hurts being hesitant to throw the ball so many times last year. Or missing open WRs. Because maybe he didnt see them, because they werent where they should have been.

The eagles signed Paschal to help with all that. They needed a vet in that WR room, and he was familiar with the offense to boot.  But come on... its Paschal. Not exciting.

Now you added another vet. Who knows what he is doing. And is capable of doing it at a dominating level. 

Now you have 2 starting WRs who know what theyre doing. 

Not only does Hurts lose the excuse of lacking proven talent. But he also loses the excuse that the WRs didnt know where to be and werent running the right things. 

And mayyybe, theres a slim hope of Hurts actually looking way better because of this also. 

5 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Hurts got kid gloves even last year despite being a first year starter, I'm not sure much changes, unfortunately.  He was 'anointed' the second Wentz was traded and got 10 year vet treatment.

Which was insane.  New offensive system and they didn't want any live reps with him?   It was stupid then, even dumber now.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

And mayyybe, theres a slim hope of Hurts actually looking way better because of this also. 

And if not, we have a big armed QB waiting in the wings.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

The HonestNFL guy talked about every WR other than Smith not knowing what he was doing out there when it comes to hot routes or option routes or things like that. You could potentially take that as an excuse for Hurts being hesitant to throw the ball so many times last year. Or missing open WRs. Because maybe he didnt see them, because they werent where they should have been.

AJ Brown helps everyone. 
- He can help Smith get better in the film room AND be letting Smith go against #2 CBs
- Hurts has a WR who isn't Reagor
- Sirianni will get less 8 man boxes and can call more intermediary passes
- Brown will make more players want to come here (especially veteran QBs)

Wins all around, even if Brown's knees won't let him be great for 10 years

50 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

:ph34r:

Nancy Kerrigan Why GIF - Nancy Kerrigan Why Figure Skating GIFs

Hi Don!

Well played.

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If Strong is killing it in camp, I wonder if Hurts will bang the table to play more in the preseason games so everyone does not get to see it ??

If Strong is playing well behind the scenes, Hurts will know it's over for him before we will.  He can bang the table as much as he wants.  The team just threw a third option into the mix at the end of 2022.

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I agree with 90% of this. I'm 100% on board with not reaching for needs.

The one area I disagree is that I'd rather have taken one of the very talented DEs in the 2nd over Jurgens (whom I like as a player). DE is just a higher value position. And it seems like the Eagles have always had luck finding centers later in the draft.

That said... you're right that the Eagles are not winning a SB next year, and they now have most positions sured up. Next year they can focus on adding corner, safety, and DE in FA and the draft. If Hurts pans out, we have the draft capital to make it happen.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

AJ Brown helps everyone. 
- He can help Smith get better in the film room AND be letting Smith go against #2 CBs
- Hurts has a WR who isn't Reagor
- Sirianni will get less 8 man boxes and can call more intermediary passes
- Brown will make more players want to come here (especially veteran QBs)

Wins all around, even if Brown's knees won't let him be great for 10 years

It's definitely a big win for the team.  The real question will be if Hurts has the ability to take advantage of it or will he still one read to the right side of the field and run.   No answer to that one yet.

19 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I also aligns with Gannon reshaping the nature of the defense.  They focused on transforming the front seven.

Reddick, White, Davis, Dean, Johnson, Ellis.

It will look more like a 3-4 / 5-2 when not in nickel.

The level of jubilation in the blog over Strong is downright hilarious.

The best part are the folks who are getting really pissed about it:roll:

15 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

Jordan Davis, Cam Jurgens, Nkobe Dean, Grant Calcaterra, Kyron Johnson, Carson Strong, Josh Jobe, Mario Goodrich, EJ Perry, Kennedy Brooks, and Noah Elliss. 

A ridiculous draft for Howie. My only worry is Jordan Davis’ availability as a pass rusher on 3rd and 4th down. 

Davis may show pass rush talent and still not be one the four best pass rushers on the team.  So him not on the field on every obvious passing situation isn't a fail.

They pass on 1st and 2nd down as well.  I can imagine him stuffing a run on 1st down and then getting to the QB when they pass on 2nd and 11.

46 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Why are we giving so many UDFA s big contracts and signing on fees? Seems a lot more than normal? Is it simply because we’ve had less picks ? 

Less draft picks = more $ to sign UDFA. 

7 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Carson Strong for Nasty Nate 2022 :ph34r:

It’s going to be so biblical .”nasty Nate” will have to be replaced by the Carson Strong award 

18 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

A ridiculous draft for Howie. 

* And acquiring A.J. Brown.  

Just now, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

It’s going to be so biblical .”nasty Nate” will have to be replaced by the Carson Strong award 

It feels inevitable right? But in the meantime, let the celebration begin!:groovy:

Archived