EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Took a 4-11-1 team to the playoffs in his first year as starter.  Showed improvement and development from his rookie year to his second year while doing so in a brand new offense (3rd new offense he has had to learn in 3 years).  Has shown great leadership skills that the team has bought into.  Has a great work ethic and drive to improve. As a young developing QB he has earned the right to come back as the starter in his 3rd year as they continue to build this team that is not a QB away from contending. See how much of a leap he makes in his second year in this offense and 3rd year in the NFL.  If he doesn't make a leap then nothing was lost and you can look elsewhere. 

Stop it. The Eagles made the playoffs because Siri learned that Hurts cannot effectively throw the ball and had him hand it off 30+ times a game or run it himself. 

This team will continue to be in purgatory with Hurts leading the way. Personally, I don't want to see them waste another season only to figure out it'll be the same result.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

@eagle45 you can quote this, use it and make it your own, but the clown needs to see it.  He obviously put me on ignore because his boy sucks.

Hurts has not earned the right, and has not shown the development needed to be handed the job.

Eagles changed the offensive philosophy against Detroit.  

7 games before Detroit.

10 TD's, 4 interceptions, 61.16 completion percentage.

7 games after Detroit

6 TD's, 5 interceptions, 61.36 completion percentage.

There was zero, none, nada, zilch improvement.  The offense improved because Jalen Hurts threw 68 less passes against the bottom feeders of the NFL for 7 weeks.

I think the performance trend with Hurts entirely correlates with his usage, not any improvement over time.  When you face a lesser defense in a low scoring game, our OL takes over, and he doesn’t throw, you’ll see wins and efficient stats. When he throws the football, either due to the game dictating it or Siri trying to see what he’s got, it gets ugly and we lose.

Thats how it has always been with Hurts under center.

6 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

That said, is it possible to accept a 2-year rebuild? Using this draft to try and build a dominant defense (need a new DC as well), use free agency to add balance on the other side of Smith, take advantage of Hurts's low cost, and address QB the next year? I have a bigger concern about short term thinking and using the draft picks on an established QB. The team has too many holes.

Yes a 2 year rebuild. Agreed on a vet wr to pair with Smith. I'm done with Hurts. Stick a fork in him. Either take a guy you like in the draft of bring in a guy like Carr as a bridge qb

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

I've ranked Hurts around the 22nd best starter in the NFL most of the season.  For me, I'd likely put Hurts ahead of:

Big Ben (PIT), Teddy (DEN), Heinicke (WFT), Darnold (CAR) .... I only came up with 4

I rated him higher than Zach Wilson during the season only because of experience.  Daniel Jones is close, but Jones outplayed Hurts head-to-head.  Fields is about the same but, again, a raw rookie like Zach Wilson.

I'd take Bridgewater over Hurts

Just now, austinfan said:

Does anyone think Wilson could take THIS team deep into the playoffs?

And if you have to spend 2 1st rd picks plus on him, how much better will the team be next year? And where will the improvement come from?

Next season, no.

Solve QB, add an edge rusher, another WR, a few day-2 picks on the back 7.  Then we are competing for the division and a home playoff game.

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Does anyone think Wilson could take THIS team deep into the playoffs?

And if you have to spend 2 1st rd picks plus on him, how much better will the team be next year? And where will the improvement come from?

Russel Wilson beat multiple playoff teams this year, and took the #1 seed in the AFC to overtime.

So yes, he would have had a legitimate shot to win several playoff games.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

JJAW improved this year, he deserves to start. 

I wanna start too. I finished the season with only 2 fewer receptions than JJAW. 

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

JJAW improved this year, he deserves to start. 

Reagor had 2 more receptions and 1 more TD than last year.  Improvement.  Pencil him in as the starter next year.

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

So everyone who improves from year 1 to 2 automatically earns a starting job?

Tim Tebow improved from year 1 to 2, went to the playoffs with a better record, and won a playoff game.  Did he earn the starting job?

Dillard is a lot better than he was as a rookie, so has he earned the LT job?  The dude improved. 

Not sure you could really say that Tebow improved from year one to year 2.  And the Broncos wee able to get one of the greatest QBs ever.  Only comparable situation would be if Rodgers wanted to come here but there is no reason at all for him to want to come here over the Packers or any other teams he might be interested in. 

Dillard isn't the best LT on the roster and the Eagles signed Mailata to a large extension.  Doesn't make sense for Dillard to start over Mailata.  

54 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Took a 4-11-1 team to the playoffs in his first year as starter.  Showed improvement and development from his rookie year to his second year while doing so in a brand new offense (3rd new offense he has had to learn in 3 years).  Has shown great leadership skills that the team has bought into.  Has a great work ethic and drive to improve. As a young developing QB he has earned the right to come back as the starter in his 3rd year as they continue to build this team that is not a QB away from contending. See how much of a leap he makes in his second year in this offense and 3rd year in the NFL.  If he doesn't make a leap then nothing was lost and you can look elsewhere. 

I have zero problem with hurts coming back next year I just don't think he makes the improvement needed to be the long term qb and I don't think there's anything better in the draft at Qb than hurts and I'm not a fan of giving up picks to get an old qb.

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I wanna start too. I finished the season with only 2 fewer receptions than JJAW. 

But you didn't improve from last year, sorry. PS at best. 

5 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

Stop it. The Eagles made the playoffs because Siri learned that Hurts cannot effectively throw the ball and had him hand it off 30+ times a game or run it himself. 

This team will continue to be in purgatory with Hurts leading the way. Personally, I don't want to see them waste another season only to figure out it'll be the same result.

Continue to be in purgatory? They went from one of the worst teams in the league to a playoff team.  If they do the smart thing and continue with Hurts next season while using their draft assets to improve the team then this team will again make another leap next season. 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

But you didn't improve from last year, sorry. PS at best. 

:sad: 

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

Continue to be in purgatory? They went from one of the worst teams in the league to a playoff team.  If they do the smart thing and continue with Hurts next season while using their draft assets to improve the team then this team will again make another leap next season. 

A 7th seed. We were only in the playoffs because the league wanted more revenue from extra playoff games. Neither us or Pitt had any business being there and the results of both games showed that. 

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Against the worst division in football.  We are not going to have the 3rd easiest strength of schedule next year.

image.png.6055972b7b5cc7b8e62e15d50c02df2e.png

17 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

So everyone who improves from year 1 to 2 automatically earns a starting job?

Tim Tebow improved from year 1 to 2, went to the playoffs with a better record, and won a playoff game.  Did he earn the starting job?

I’d add it’s not like the NFC is some great conference right now that makes it unthinkable to reach the playoffs. It’s top heavy. It’s much harder in the AFC, it’s why three 9-8 teams missed the playoffs. they added a seventh seed which only helps you in the nfc it’s why the bears in 2021 made it.

Then there’s 7 out of the 16 teams in the NFC that finished 3 games or worse below .500. To compare the afc has only 4 of their 16. That’s almost half the conference is just bad in the nfc. And then you have the 8-9 Vikings which if Kirk cousins doesn’t get Covid, the Eagles might be on the outside looking in at the playoffs. The other 9-8 team is the saints who played like 10 games with either Trevor siemian or taysom hill at QB. The NFC is top-heavy but once you get past team 5 (i would even argue the cowboys and cardinals are overrated) the conference significantly drops off. So schedule matters. When you get to play the third easiest schedule it greatly helps you reach the playoffs in a top heavy nfc. 

The fact is Jalen hurts was 0-6 against playoff teams. Yes the defense was not good in those games either and they are another big reason for them losing. However when you go look at the offensive stats the Eagles averaged only 20.16 points per game in those six games. So the offense wasn’t good either. That margin of defeat was 14.5 points and it wasn’t just a defense, the offense wasn’t capable of scoring or moving the ball consistently. I haven’t even included the fact that 20.16 ppg includes garbage time tds against Dallas (down 41-14 scored with like a minute left), a td against KC (scored a td down 19 with 8 seconds left), raiders game down 19 they scored a garbage time td with less than 4 mins remaining, scoring 15 points down 31-0 in the 4th quarter when the game was over. If do that then that ppg comes down to 14ppg (i didn’t even include the Thursday night game)

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I know, we've talked about our diverging viewpoints on that many times.

If Watson and/or Wilson give the nod, do you think Lowie goes all in to trade for them?

I think they would in a heartbeat.

Oh I absolutely think they would yes. No doubt about it. 

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They were the #7 seed.  They were 9-8.  They were the best of the average teams.

There is a scenario we're we sweep NYG and WAS.  Run the table against the Jags, Bears, Lions, and Texans.  And then go 2-2 against the Steelers, Colts, Saints, and Vikings.

That's 10-7.  But is that really a "leap"?

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I know, we've talked about our diverging viewpoints on that many times.

If Watson and/or Wilson give the nod, do you think Lowie goes all in to trade for them?

I think they would in a heartbeat.

Texans GM all but says that Watson will not play for the Texans again.  Get it done Howie, get it done.

10 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Not sure you could really say that Tebow improved from year one to year 2.  And the Broncos wee able to get one of the greatest QBs ever.  Only comparable situation would be if Rodgers wanted to come here but there is no reason at all for him to want to come here over the Packers or any other teams he might be interested in. 

Dillard isn't the best LT on the roster and the Eagles signed Mailata to a large extension.  Doesn't make sense for Dillard to start over Mailata.  

And Hurts isn't the best QB on the roster. Case closed. 

Strength of sched really impacted our record. We need talent across the board to sustain the upward trend. Could easily go back to 6-11 if some of the teams we play aren’t as awful as they were this year. 

22 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

That said, is it possible to accept a 2-year rebuild? Using this draft to try and build a dominant defense (need a new DC as well), use free agency to add balance on the other side of Smith, take advantage of Hurts's low cost, and address QB the next year? I have a bigger concern about short term thinking and using the draft picks on an established QB. The team has too many holes.

I'm kind of with you on this.  There are just so many holes and a lot of veterans who may be at the end of the line.  

Yes, Hurts may not be (and most likely isn't) the long term answer.  But neither is throwing multiple first round draft picks on veterans who may or may not be done. Or Watson who may be suspended.  Only to have the rest of the team around them be a bunch of scrubs.  

The first round QB's have their warts.  There is no sure fire QB prospect like Joe Burrow this year.  I could get on board with throwing a mid round pick on somebody like Zappe or Ridder to compete.    

Or, if you can get Derek Carr for (1) 1st rounder that might make sense.  But, multiple 1st rounders hampers the future of the team to improve at other positions. 

23 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Took a 4-11-1 team to the playoffs in his first year as starter. 

Showed improvement and development from his rookie year to his second year while doing so in a brand new offense (3rd new offense he has had to learn in 3 years). 

Has shown great leadership skills that the team has bought into. 

Has a great work ethic and drive to improve.

As a young developing QB he has earned the right to come back as the starter in his 3rd year as they continue to build this team that is not a QB away from contending.

See how much of a leap he makes in his second year in this offense and 3rd year in the NFL.  If he doesn't make a leap then nothing was lost and you can look elsewhere. 

First one is a TEAM accomplishment, not a personal one.  Took the easiest schedule in the NFL and barely broke 0.500.   Zero wins against teams with winning records (yes, I know about the Saints game... with Trevor Siemen at QB.   Trevor started 4 games for the Saints... they lost all 4.  So, eliminate the Saints from that list.)   Strike one.

Improved how?   Be specific.    And please don't reference how many systems he's been in, that's an excuse, not an accomplishment.  Did he become a better pocket passer?  Or did he exploit his legs more? 

Leadership... :facepalm:   Not being a leader disqualifies a QB, being a leader doesn't automatically earn you the job.   Strike two.

Work ethic and drive aren't accomplishments, they are traits.   Good for him.  I have a great work ethic and drive as well.   Should I be the QB?    Strike three.

So, you have nothing, or do you want to actually talk about what he's done, on the field, to EARN the job.   What does he do on the field better than Gardner Minshew that negates Minshew from having the right to compete for the job against Hurts?  

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

They were the #7 seed.  They were 9-8.  They were the best of the average teams.

There is a scenario we're we sweep NYG and WAS.  Run the table against the Jags, Bears, Lions, and Texans.  And then go 2-2 against the Steelers, Colts, Saints, and Vikings.

That's 10-7.  But is that really a "leap"?

10-7 you can potentially win the division so yeah.  But if they infuse this team with young talent and players and coaches including Hurts take a step forward in improvement then you have a chance to win more than 10 games. 

Really beyond silly to try to predict next seasons record when it's mid-January and the current team isn't close to how next year's team will look with all of the turnover from year to year. 

Archived