EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

Continue to be in purgatory? They went from one of the worst teams in the league to a playoff team.  If they do the smart thing and continue with Hurts next season while using their draft assets to improve the team then this team will again make another leap next season. 

Let's be clear, their 4-11-1 record from 2020 was not because they had a bad roster. They earned that record because Carson played some of the worst football I've ever seen and everyone besides a bad QB and center was hurt. So saying they went from 4-11-1 to playoffs with Hurts is a bit disingenuous. 

I can't for the life of me see anything Jalen was doing better at the end of the season than he was at the start. He still bailed from clean pockets, held the ball too long, didn't pull the trigger when guys were open, in the rare occasion he threw a pass to the crosser it was always behind the WR.

Bottom line is if your plan is to just make the playoffs, and you have an easy schedule, Jalen Hurts is your guy. If you want to win a SB, you absolutely cannot have him as your starting QB.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

And Hurts isn't the best QB on the roster. Case closed. 

Pretty sure he is.  If the Eagles want to have a QB battle between Hurts and Minshew during camp then that would be wiser than blowing assets to bring in a veteran QB or drafting from a weak QB class. 

25 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I keep feeling more and more I'd like to roll the dice on Ridder.

I wouldn't be against Ridder in Round 2.  But definitely not Round 1.  

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

10-7 you can potentially win the division so yeah.  But if they infuse this team with young talent and players and coaches including Hurts take a step forward in improvement then you have a chance to win more than 10 games. 

Really beyond silly to try to predict next seasons record when it's mid-January and the current team isn't close to how next year's team will look with all of the turnover from year to year. 

Especially with the pending qb change.

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Texans GM all but says that Watson will not play for the Texans again.  Get it done Howie, get it done.

That's the #1 move to make IMO. Just need Watson to agree to come here.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I wouldn't be against Ridder in Round 2.  But definitely not Round 1.  

Agreed.

Just now, ShutDownDB said:

Let's be clear, their 4-11-1 record from 2020 was not because they had a bad roster. They earned that record because Carson played some of the worst football I've ever seen and everyone besides a bad QB and center was hurt. So saying they went from 4-11-1 to playoffs with Hurts is a bit disingenuous. 

I can't for the life of me see anything Jalen was doing better at the end of the season than he was at the start. He still bailed from clean pockets, held the ball too long, didn't pull the trigger when guys were open, in the rare occasion he threw a pass to the crosser it was always behind the WR.

Bottom line is if your plan is to just make the playoffs, and you have an easy schedule, Jalen Hurts is your guy. If you want to win a SB, you absolutely cannot have him as your starting QB.

It isn't disengenius at all especially when you cite the QB as the main reason they were 4-11-1 last year. 

If you want to win a SB then you need to put together a better roster, especially on defense.  You also need to continue to let your young QB develop especially when he took a step forward in year two and took the team to the playoffs his first season as a starter. 

18 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Dillard isn't the best LT on the roster and the Eagles signed Mailata to a large extension.  Doesn't make sense for Dillard to start over Mailata.  

Hurts isn't the best QB on the roster.  

14 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

They were the #7 seed.  They were 9-8.  They were the best of the average teams.

There is a scenario we're we sweep NYG and WAS.  Run the table against the Jags, Bears, Lions, and Texans.  And then go 2-2 against the Steelers, Colts, Saints, and Vikings.

That's 10-7.  But is that really a "leap"?

I would just point out the Jets and Jaguars both had more impressive victories against playoff teams and more wins against teams over .500 than the Eagles this year. The Jaguars beat the Buffalo Bills, dolphins and Indianapolis Colts (all three were over .500. And buffalo Might win the afc). The New York Jets beat the Tennessee Titans and bengals.

Eagles best victory is either against the Saints who had Trevor Siemian starting, down Alvin Kamara and down there two starting tackles or the 7-10 Denver Broncos. The Eagles beat bad teams. We were fortunate to have enough of those bad teams on their schedule to make the playoffs. We also got help with cousins getting Covid at the perfect time for us and saints losing Winston  

The thing that bothers me the most is what I said a couple weeks ago. I wanted that week 18 Dallas game to have meaning. Because I need to know how far the Eagles came from week three all the way to week 18 against a legitimate playoff team in the nfc. Because if it was the same then getting massacre in week 18 as it was week 3 then they really haven’t come as far as we thought. They were just beating up on bad/mediocre teams. Unfortunately didn’t happen but we got a rematch against tampa in the wild card. And they were down more guys then when we faced them week 5. it was not even close. We can make an excuse saying it was first playoff game but but really the Eagles were what their schedule showed. A team that beat up on bad/mediocre opponents and were basically manhandled against better teams. 

Demarvin Leal or Jordan Davis. I’m kinda leaning towards Davis for the eagles. 

11 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

They were the #7 seed.  They were 9-8.  They were the best of the average teams.

There is a scenario we're we sweep NYG and WAS.  Run the table against the Jags, Bears, Lions, and Texans.  And then go 2-2 against the Steelers, Colts, Saints, and Vikings.

I believe that would be called 'falling up'.  

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

First one is a TEAM accomplishment, not a personal one.  Took the easiest schedule in the NFL and barely broke 0.500.   Zero wins against teams with winning records (yes, I know about the Saints game... with Trevor Siemen at QB.   Trevor started 4 games for the Saints... they lost all 4.  So, eliminate the Saints from that list.)   Strike one.

Improved how?   Be specific.    And please don't reference how many systems he's been in, that's an excuse, not an accomplishment.  Did he become a better pocket passer?  Or did he exploit his legs more? 

Leadership... :facepalm:   Not being a leader disqualifies a QB, being a leader doesn't automatically earn you the job.   Strike two.

Work ethic and drive aren't accomplishments, they are traits.   Good for him.  I have a great work ethic and drive as well.   Should I be the QB?    Strike three.

So, you have nothing, or do you want to actually talk about what he's done, on the field, to EARN the job.   What does he do on the field better than Gardner Minshew that negates Minshew from having the right to compete for the job against Hurts?  

He reduced his turnovers, drastically improved his completion % and since it was this blogs favorite thing to point to last summer how Jalen Hurts gets figured out at half time and he can't score in the second half and will never be able to the Eagles were very prolific with scoring in the second half this season. 

I didn't say anywhere that there can't be a completion between him and Minshew in the summer.  If they want to do that then they can but I doubt Minshew wins that. For all of the complains about Hurts arm, he has a better arm than Minshew and also has the ability as a runner to just makes him more effective than Minshew. 

He reduced his turnovers, drastically improved his completion % and since it was this blogs favorite thing to point to last summer how Jalen Hurts gets figured out at half time and he can't score in the second half and will never be able to the Eagles were very prolific with scoring in the second half this season. 

I didn't say anywhere that there can't be a completion between him and Minshew in the summer.  If they want to do that then they can but I doubt Minshew wins that. For all of the complains about Hurts arm, he has a better arm than Minshew and also has the ability as a runner to just makes him more effective than Minshew. 

This year, he was so bad in the first half, that teams went to a prevent so he had no choice but to have good second half numbers. 

As to your second paragraph, @eagle45 has covered that before. There can't be a fair competition, because Hurts is a terrible practice QB. His best attributes can only be done in live games, so he'll be handed the starting job regardless of who is the better passer in camp. 

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Especially with the pending qb change.

They waste draft picks on a QB and this team won't be contending next year.  They have some young talent on offense but the defense is void of young talent.  Wasting draft assets on a QB won't suddenly make this defense capable of rushing the passer and stopping good QBs from completing 80%+ of their passes against us. 

14 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

We have a cup cake schedule again next year, get the right QB and we'll be in contention for the top spot in the NFC, especially if Rodgers moves to the AFC, and Father Time and Brady go at it.

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

This year, he was so bad in the first half, that teams went to a prevent so he had no choice but to have good second half numbers. 

As to your second paragraph, @eagle45 has covered that before. There can't be a fair competition, because Hurts is a terrible practice QB. His best attributes can only be done in live games, so he'll be handed the starting job regardless of who is the better passer in camp. 

Sounds like you already have the excuses lined up. 

Sounds like you already have the excuses lined up. 

Excuse me? Let's revisit Hurts draft profile:

Strengths:

• Tough
  • Takes hits and doesn't get hurt
  • Durable
  • Winner

Weaknesses:

• Very limited passer
  • Struggles to see the field
  • Poor vision
  • Struggles to read defenses
  • Slow to work through progressions
  • Not an accurate passer
  • One-read quarterback
  • Arm strength is average
  • Personality issues

AND:

They feel he struggles to read defenses, too often after one read he looks to run, is not that accurate, does not have impressive arm strength, and is not a great runner for the NFL. They feel Hurts is tough and a winner, so they could see a team taking him in the mid-rounds of the 2020 NFL Draft if a team really likes him and wants to work with him as a backup quarterback who might be able to contribute somewhat, like Taysom Hill in New Orleans. Some feel Hurts should move to fullback for the NFL, as his struggles to see the field were given further proof at the Senior Bowl.

Hurts could sneak into the second day of the 2020 NFL Draft as a late third-round pick. If he doesn't go in Round 3, he probably will get selected in the fourth or fifth round.

Player Comparison: Pat White. Hurts and White (6-0, 205) are very similar as successful college quarterbacks who had passing limitations for the NFL. White was a bust as a second-round pick for the Dolphins in 2009. Hurts shouldn't go that high in the 2020 NFL Draft, and he would be better off trying to mimic Taysom Hill as an NFL player.

Boy, that sounds extremely accurate. 

30 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Does anyone think Wilson could take THIS team deep into the playoffs?

And if you have to spend 2 1st rd picks plus on him, how much better will the team be next year? And where will the improvement come from?

I think he takes the team deeper than Hurts could dream about. Imagine a quarterback that can find open receivers, throw to them on time and  catchable. Also he can still run if he needs to. Woooohooooooo, baby!

Looking around the NFL, all the great young QBs are in the AFC.

Whose the young stud QB in the NFC? Kyler? Lance? Fields? Dak?

We get a guy like Watson, he will rule the NFC for years to come.

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He reduced his turnovers, drastically improved his completion %

He regressed in turnovers in the second half, and his completion percentage was no better.

Before Detroit, 10 TD's with 4 picks, 61.16 %.

After Detroit, 6 TD's with 5 picks, 61.36%.

His turnovers increased on 68 less passes in the second half of the season.  Not good.

@4for4EaglesNest @TorontoEagle @eagle45 can you quote this for me.

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Weaknesses:

• Very limited passer
  • Struggles to see the field
  • Poor vision
  • Struggles to read defenses
  • Slow to work through progressions
  • Not an accurate passer
  • One-read quarterback
  • Arm strength is average
  • Personality issues

AND:

They feel he struggles to read defenses, too often after one read he looks to run, is not that accurate, does not have impressive arm strength,

No improvement in any of these area's.

2 hours ago, Godfather said:

I believe it was during the first Phi/TB game, one dude compared @Swoopand I to active shooters because we were trashing Hurts in the PBP thread

I remember. What an unhinged pig of a human being.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They waste draft picks on a QB and this team won't be contending next year.  They have some young talent on offense but the defense is void of young talent.  Wasting draft assets on a QB won't suddenly make this defense capable of rushing the passer and stopping good QBs from completing 80%+ of their passes against us. 

You aren't wrong about that. They're in a terrible situation needing picks to infuse the defense with talented playmakers and needing a long term answer at the most important position. I just really don't like the prospect of wasting another season with Hurts only for it to end the same way or worse.

4 minutes ago, greend said:

I think he takes the team deeper than Hurts could dream about. Imagine a quarterback that can find open receivers, throw to them on time and  catchable. Also he can still run if he needs to. Woooohooooooo, baby!

Tampa Bay is not playing 8 or 9 in the box if Wilson is the QB last Sunday.

Archived