****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

8 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

RIP Maradona.  
a true legend whether you liked or hated him

He was a genius on the pitch. Unfortunately with so many of these geniuses on the pitch they tend to be right on the limit with mental health issues and craziness. 

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Thank you Cavani

Not sure you should be thanking him bud. He's prolonging the Ole agony for you guys. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not sure you should be thanking him bud. He's prolonging the Ole agony for you guys. 

No one is saving Man Utd until the Glazers die so mine as well fight. A game less played and only 3 points out of 3rd.

Those long knuckleballs were especially ridiculous. 

He is an absolute monster this year, maybe most important player to a team along with Ramos to RM, if not more important. Man Utd looked like absolute trash the first half and end up winning 3-1. Ole needs to find an answer for him QUICK because i think they play on average every 2 days for the next month. 

At this point we have a free for all in the Prem. LPool or Citeh could still pull away but if they don’t then Spurs, ManU, and Chelsea are all very much in the fight. You can easily make a case for each of them. 

On a side note. I watched Leeds/Chelsea last night. It was one of the most entertaining PL games I’ve seen in a while. Super free flowing wide open play thanks to Leeds attack at all costs style. It could easily have been 4-1 Chelsea at half. There were so many half and full chances. The commentators made it sound like this is the way Leeds are approaching every game. If that is so then they are going to suffer some big defeats but they will be great to watch. 

Chelsea has played one more game than Liverpool and Man Utd but as you said Top 4 will be a free for all

16 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Chelsea has played one more game than Liverpool and Man Utd but as you said Top 4 will be a free for all

Yep. Give ManU 3 pts for that and then the top 4 are within 2 pts of each other.

The EPL is a league of parity this season.  The whole top half of the table could be just 3-5 points apart from top to bottom. 

I'd be surprised if Liverpool win the League this time around.  Too many injuries.  Both starting CBs out, including one of the best in the World in VvD.  Jota has been a great signing so far and it's great to not have to rely on just the big 3.  Thiago is out as well and he really could have added something more to the MF.  That's our weakest spot, the MF.  At least when the squad is fully fit it is.  Now the back 4 is questionable, though TAA just came back so that should help.  We should be signing a CB in the Winter Transfer Window.  Do that and get Thiago back and I would be more optimistic. 

Would be cool on the final Match Day to see 3-4 clubs all with a chance to win it.

4 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

I'd be surprised if Liverpool win the League this time around.  Too many injuries.  Both starting CBs out, including one of the best in the World in VvD. 

I think in any other year you'd be right. I think Liverpool would struggle with those injuries in any other year. But I think this is a different year and I think that could play to their favour. 

The thing with Liverpool is that they just came off of a historic type season.  It is extremely rare that one of those is followed up with another year of clear sailing.  It is just the little things like the injuries but also the lack of a late goal (or giving one up), scheduling issue, an unhappy player, etc. etc.  All of those things on the margin go in ones favor during the historical year but they then tend to even out in following years.

Liverpool is the clear favorite but it really is anyone's title to grab.

46 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

The thing with Liverpool is that they just came off of a historic type season.  It is extremely rare that one of those is followed up with another year of clear sailing.  It is just the little things like the injuries but also the lack of a late goal (or giving one up), scheduling issue, an unhappy player, etc. etc.  All of those things on the margin go in ones favor during the historical year but they then tend to even out in following years.

Liverpool is the clear favorite but it really is anyone's title to grab.

But they don't need to have an historic year this year. They just need to be there or thereabouts. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But they don't need to have an historic year this year. They just need to be there or thereabouts. 

For sure but that means the other teams are very much in the running.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

To be fair, Madrid are in the middle of an awkward rebuild (yet still tied for top of the table).

I think of you put a prime Marcelo, Ramos, Pepe, Modric, etc they would be performing a lot better in UCL.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:03 AM, DrPhilly said:

Those long knuckleballs were especially ridiculous. 

What’s really impressive is that he had such a command of both the knuckleballs and the traditional curve. Usually players are really good at one style but not both. 

• Like 1

So transfer news from the White House...

Jovic is being linked with a loan to Wolves, which I kind of like. He’s just not playing at Madrid with Benzema being on fire. Would be a great winter signing for a mid table club. What a disaster signing for Madrid so far... splashed €60M on him and he can barely get on the field.

Isco being linked with a permanent move to the EPL... Arsenal and Everton. He’s a really fun player, great on his day, but is probably a little disappointing overall considering how much potential he had.

Ramos’ contract expires after this season, so teams will be free to negotiate with him in January. I don’t think they let him go, but who knows? I could see PSG throwing crazy money at him. Which leads us to...

Alaba being linked heavily with Madrid. Always liked him — he’s just so versatile and we need players in the exact positions he can play: CB, LB, CM. I think he’s be bought on a free as a Ramos replacement, but I’d prefer to sign him in addition to bringing back Ramos.

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Isco being linked with a permanent move to the EPL... Arsenal and Everton. He’s a really fun player, great on his day, but is probably a little disappointing overall considering how much potential he had.

I've always really liked Isco. Such a clever player and as you say a lot of fun to watch. If he went to Everton they'd really be building a nice side there that could potentially push for a title in the next couple of years. 

13 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Gonna be a wild 2nd half of the season 

Screenshot_20201229-170104.png

Its certainly set up that way. I mean Liverpool with all their injuries are going to drop points. Should be a good race.