****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

A source with knowledge of the situation has revealed to 90min that three clubs from Italy, two from Germany and two from England are showing an active interest in signing Pepi. Two of the three Italian clubs are in this season's Uefa Champions League, as is the case for both German clubs. All clubs involved play in their respective top-flight leagues.

What's more, 90min are told the fee for Pepi is set to "eclipse" the $13.5m initial fee - which could rise to $22m - Bayern Munich paid the Vancouver Whitecaps for Alphonso Davies back in July 2018. The Canada international remains Major League Soccer's most valuable outgoing transfer for a homegrown player.

FC Dallas are currently 11th in the Western Conference, eight points and four places below the playoff line. The Texas side recently parted ways with head coach, Luchi Gonzalez.

According to 90min sources, Pepi's representatives are pushing to complete a deal within the next two weeks. This would allow him to train with his new club following the conclusion of Dallas' 2021 season.

It recently emerged that following Dallas' 1-0 defeat to Vancouver Whitecaps at the weekend a 'big club' travelled to Canada to watch Pepi.

90min sources confirm that club was Ajax and that the Dutch giants met with the players representatives. Our source also confirmed contact between Dallas and Ajax is "imminent".

https://www.90min.com/posts/european-clubs-show-interest-as-ricardo-pepi-transfers

If reports are to be believed, Ajax, Bayern and Wolfsburg are three of the clubs. I want him in Europe, just not to Bayern or Wolfsburg.  He needs to be in a mid table type of team with enough quality for him to get chances but not so good he is stuck on the bench.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

And we may have found the much needed Striker. 

If he can be that legitimate top tier goal scoring international and flip guys like Sargent and Hoppe to the bench it solves so many problems.

Only thing left would be finding some quality young defenders and we’d be really well positioned for 2026.

Newcastle officially sold to Saudi Arabia. Unofficially now the worlds richest club.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Currently they’re in danger of relegation which would make their money irrelevant.

Newcastle being competitive again is good for the EPL, but their ownership is so much more wealthy than anyone else on the world it could be a tipping point in unbalancing the game.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Newcastle officially sold to Saudi Arabia. Unofficially now the worlds richest club.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Currently they’re in danger of relegation which would make their money irrelevant.

Newcastle being competitive again is good for the EPL, but their ownership is so much more wealthy than anyone else on the world it could be a tipping point in unbalancing the game.

I saw that and will be interesting if they can turn into a top club but have my doubts. 

3 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I saw that and will be interesting if they can turn into a top club but have my doubts. 

The biggest issue is who wants to live in Newcastle? Ultimately though, money talks. And they are going to put every other club in the world to shame as far as money.

Honestly, I think they would have been smarter if they had just bought one of the major Italian clubs or maybe a team like Valencia or Sevilla. Or even gone for a small London club like QPR or Crystal Palace. People forget that Man City was a mediocre club before the petro dollars started flowing. I think they could have turned QPR or Palace into a major club and would have had an easier time with recruitment.

EDIT:

Readinf around, it sounds like Newcastle will have a £190M January transfer budget. :lol: 

I think they’re going to have trouble attracting top talent to a relegation contender, but thinking about Madrid I could see them give offers to Bale and/or Asensio. Don’t think Bale would be willing to leave Spain, but Asensio wants out and they could give his a godfather type offer on wages. He’d instantly be their best attacking player and he’s young enough to be a foundational piece to their long term project.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

The biggest issue is who wants to live in Newcastle? Ultimately though, money talks. And they are going to put every other club in the world to shame as far as money

You could say the same about Manchester though bud...

In fact I'd say the same for China. As you say... money talks. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You could say the same about Manchester though bud...

In fact I'd say the same for China. As you say... money talks. 

Eh, Manchester is quite a bit larger than Newcastle, isn’t it? I think United’s history draws a lot of players to both clubs, weirdly enough. Like the darby kind of lifted the prestige of City, throw in the cash to build a super team and it’s easier to recruit players.

Reading some rumors of Newcastle’s short list:

Navas

Tarkowski

Fekir 

Coutinho

Icardi

I think the first three would be a reasonable, realistic, but still fantastic transfer window. PSG signed their GK in the off-season so they can let Navas go. He’s old but still fantastic. Tarkowski’s contract is about to run out so should be reasonably priced. Fekir is one of the most underrated players around IMO and there’s no way Betis could match their wage offer.

If I’m Newcastle I wouldn’t touch Coutinho, he’s not the player he used to be. Icardi would be good but PSG is basically a prison for players so I doubt they’d let him go.

Get the first three, avoid relegation, and then Newcastle can have a big offseason. Maybe even make a run at Haaland or Mbappe. Or both, even. They’re richer than the rest of English football combined.

15 minutes ago, TEW said:

If I’m Newcastle I wouldn’t touch Coutinho, he’s not the player he used to be. Icardi would be good but PSG is basically a prison for players so I doubt they’d let him go.

So I think with Coutinho it would be more of a statement thing. City did it early on after they were taken over. I mean look I know it's a little different but they signed Robinho who ultimately wasn't a massive success. But it was a statement thing. It told the soccer world that they were here and were serious. 

From an article:

It is official. The Mike Ashley era has ended. Today the club has announced the sale of Newcastle United to a consortium comprised of Amanda Staveley’s PCP Partners, the Reuben Brothers (RB Sports & Media) and the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF, governed by "His Excellency", Yasir Al-Rumayyan) for £305million.

Seems they are going to make investments into the infrastructure of the club which includes the academy.  So not just about going out and buying players, but they see it as a long term investment.  Even plan on working with the city to build long term sustainable financial growth in the area.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So I think with Coutinho it would be more of a statement thing. City did it early on after they were taken over. I mean look I know it's a little different but they signed Robinho who ultimately wasn't a massive success. But it was a statement thing. It told the soccer world that they were here and were serious. 

Very different IMO. Robinho was still young when Madrid sold him and and was on the Ballon d'Or short list. The only reason he was sold was because of a CR7 deal which would have sent him to United. After those talks broke down, Robinho was left insulted, rejected a contract renewal, and Madrid were forced to sell. But there were plenty of suitors for him, such as Chelsea. Coutinho is basically the exact opposite situation -- Barca can't get rid of him because he stinks, is getting older and is earning a lot of money. No one wants him for a reason.

If Newcastle want to make a statement, I think they would go for someone younger who is playing like an actual star. Maybe someone like Mathius de Ligt if rumors are right that he wants out and Juve need to sell? Or maybe Joao Felix. I could also see them going after Gravenberch -- he's a really hot name, but probably not quite ready to start at major club. From what I've read the club is going to be prudent with their signings, but who knows? Maybe Barca hands him over on a loan with an option to buy if they cover the salary.

• Like 1

US with a different lineup tonight in Panama.  Have some of the senior players in this match probably a combination of trying to keep fresh legs and having players with more experience playing on the road in CONCACAF. 

Turner with a great save in the 34th minute.  Panama seemed to have more of the ball and more O opportunities in the first 30-35 minutes, but US started to get more possession, though didn't really do anything with it.  Panama has had more scoring chances.

Hoping to see Berhalter use all his subs this match and bring on attacking players around the 60th minute, assuming we're still in a scoreless deadlock.

Looks like Zardes with an OG off a corner.  Losing 1-0.  Goal was credited to a Panama player, but the replay looked like it either missed that player's head or only barely skimmed off his head, but Zardes looked to get a head on it.

Adams and Aaronson on to start the 2nd. 

Classic USMNT pant-ishing in a 3rd world country.  Game over as soon as they scored.  I think there was about 15 min of soccer played after that, between Panama falling down like they were dead, fans running onto the field and kicking balls around, etc.   

Final 1-0.  US never really mustered any good attacks this match.  They were clearly missing something this match.

Couldn't watch but sounds like it was a real dud

And already down 0-1 to costa rica at home after 1 minute

If the USMNT lose again tonight Berhalter has to go, period

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

And already down 0-1 to costa rica at home after 1 minute

If the USMNT lose again tonight Berhalter has to go, period

Why does it seem the USMNT is incapable of hiring a quality coach?

4 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Why does it seem the USMNT is incapable of hiring a quality coach?

Because the USSF is an absolute cesspool of cronyism and corruption. He got the job 100% because of nepotism.

Thankfully Dest just saved his arse with a fantastic goal.

• Like 1

At work tonight so not able to watch, but keeping up with the score online.  Saw we let up am early goal and saw the highlight.  WTF Was Steffen doing so far out of the box?  There was a player in front close to the path of the ball and I wonder if CONCACAF had bothered to have VAR if that would have been allowed to stand.  Saw that Dest tied it up, but did not see a highlight yet.  Hopefully up soon and I can check it out.     

12 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

At work tonight so not able to watch, but keeping up with the score online.  Saw we let up am early goal and saw the highlight.  WTF Was Steffen doing so far out of the box?  There was a player in front close to the path of the ball and I wonder if CONCACAF had bothered to have VAR if that would have been allowed to stand.  Saw that Dest tied it up, but did not see a highlight yet.  Hopefully up soon and I can check it out.     

The goal was legal, Dest was actually out of bounds behind the goal line so he automatically kept everyone onside.

It was Weston McKennies fault, who has absolutely been brutal since getting suspended. He was asleep all game and gave up possession a bunch.

Honestly we're lucky Costa Rica has a bunch of 35 year olds.   Miles Robinson passed the ball directly to Bryan Ruiz who had a clear path to goal but was just too damn slow.   3 years ago he puts that away.  Could have easily been a penalty called later in the game...just really sloppy outside of a few players

Musah is a player to watch. A Robinson is turning into a legit LB.  He and Dest give us quality wingbacks we havent had since, well I cant even remember how long ago....maybe even back to Cherundolo and Bocanegra (even though Boca was more of a centerback)

Theres some real pieces here, but between Berhalters incompetence and some injuries, we havent been consistent for a full match yet

10 hours ago, Mike31mt said:

The goal was legal, Dest was actually out of bounds behind the goal line so he automatically kept everyone onside.

It was Weston McKennies fault, who has absolutely been brutal since getting suspended. He was asleep all game and gave up possession a bunch.

Honestly we're lucky Costa Rica has a bunch of 35 year olds.   Miles Robinson passed the ball directly to Bryan Ruiz who had a clear path to goal but was just too damn slow.   3 years ago he puts that away.  Could have easily been a penalty called later in the game...just really sloppy outside of a few players

Musah is a player to watch. A Robinson is turning into a legit LB.  He and Dest give us quality wingbacks we havent had since, well I cant even remember how long ago....maybe even back to Cherundolo and Bocanegra (even though Boca was more of a centerback)

Theres some real pieces here, but between Berhalters incompetence and some injuries, we havent been consistent for a full match yet

I didn't see that Dest was OOB keeping the player from being offsides.

Yeah, it seems like Ruiz has been playing for CR for nearly 20 years now, lol.

Musah is still way young and should improve.  Just how much is the question.  I like A-Rob as LB from what I've seen so far.  I think he's earned the spot for now.  Dest can get a little too forward at times and will leave space open for a counter so when the opponent has a good quick/fast winger on his side that could be a problem at least 2-3 times/match.

I am looking forward to see an attacking 3 of Pulisic, Pepe, and Reyna next round of WCQs.  Hopefully they will all be healthy together and we'll get to see how they operate together.  Pepe can also make a good pass and both Pulisic and Reyna can make runs into the box so they could work interchangeably at times.  Could be fun.