****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

12 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Soooooooo

Didn’t get to watch the match, but that’s a hell of a feel good story.

From what I’m reading some of the younger guys along with Casemiro played poorly and a Jovic volley that would have won the game was somehow blocked and lead to the game winning counter attack.

Italy finally go down after 3 years, helluva run for that group.

On another note, the USMNT back on the world cup trail tonight.  Dont f'ing blow it, Berhalter.   

No Pulisic, Brooks (no loss there), or Reyna.  Reyna and Pulisic hurt big time because we lack creativity.   

Jamaica has looked like ish so far so we need 3 points in Austin tonight

• Like 1

Pepi and Musah getting the starts tonight.  Aaronson back as part of the front 3.  The 2 Robinsons on D to protect the left side.  Crowd is very USA and loud to start.

No VAR and Twellman is going off about it already.  Pepi with a nice through ball and Arriola gets dragged down with a clear run on goal.  Rookie International ref confers with line ref and shows a yellow and a F-K (seriously, the letters F and K right next to each other get edited?).  They go to former EPL ref Mark Clattenburg and he saw it as a red card.

Another infraction on a US goal scoring chance.  Aaronson picks the pocket of a Jamaican then is on the receiving end of a through ball and is clipped from behind just outside the box.  Free kick coming up as another yellow is issued while US coaches and fans are not happy.

I am thankful to have Jon Champion calling the match.  IMO, the UK have the best announcers (Darren Fletcher tops especially with Macca as his colour man, Champion, Arlo White [Ted Lasso cameos], Ian Darke, and Martin Tyler pulling up the rear) and I'd say the only US equivalent is Kevin Harlan (him and Fletcher are somewhat similar) as far as national stage announcers. 

Jamaican should be playing with 10 right now.  One of those 2 should have been a red.  Clattenburg called both red.  Twellman still in disbelief that CONCACAF doesn't have VAR.  Even Keller saying the first one was red.  Now Keller agreeing with Twellman about VAR and chastising CONCACAF.  Rookie ref probably didn't want to make a big call inside the first minute of the match. 

We don't get 3pts here and it's a failure.  Yeah, no Pulisic or Reyna, but we've had the better run of play and if we can get one of those fouls to be called right then we'll be in business.  Have to be careful on defensive set pieces and counters.  Pepi hasn't done much since that first through ball to Arriola with a couple poor first touches.  Was hoping to see him continue good form he should vs Honduras.  Someone needs to step up.  We can win this 1-0, but who is going to be the goal scorer?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

Pepi with a sweet header.  Musah pushes down the center of the pitch, dishes to Dest who chips into the box and Pepi nods it home.

BTW, first time US has had TWO 18yos on the pitch for a competitive international match (non-friendly), IIRC.

Aaronson needs to do better on his corners.  Blake is a very good keeper.  Need to get it just inside the penalty spot with enough arc, but not too much.

Nice run by Musah and a good effort to get a shot there. hat's the kind of player I think he can be. Strong and fast with good balance and the ability to make attacking runs and cause some havoc.

6 minutes ago, TEW said:

Nice run by Musah and a good effort to get a shot there. hat's the kind of player I think he can be. Strong and fast with good balance and the ability to make attacking runs and cause some havoc.

Like what I see of him so far tonight.  Only 18yo and he has strength and isn't afraid to take on a defender.  He will only get better.  And he will learn playing in La Liga.

Great F'ing counter.  Pepi again!  Aaronson with a great feed to Pepi in front to toe it home.  2-0 USA!

And youngest player to score in consecutive WCQ matches.

1 minute ago, Green_Guinness said:

Like what I see of him so far tonight.  Only 18yo and he has strength and isn't afraid to take on a defender.  He will only get better.  And he will learn playing in La Liga.

Playing in La Liga is huge. He has all the physical gifts. La Liga is perfect for learning close control and technique. He's been up and down, which isn't surprising for his age, but he has legitimate UCL starter potential.

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Playing in La Liga is huge. He has all the physical gifts. La Liga is perfect for learning close control and technique. He's been up and down, which isn't surprising for his age, but he has legitimate UCL starter potential.

I think it's important we have young players playing all over the World.  La Liga, Bundesliga, EPL, Serie A, and other Euro leagues.  The more varied the experiences the more they bring to the collective melting pot.

And time for roster management with 3 matches in 8 days.  Use your subs and keep fresh legs.

2 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

I think it's important we have young players playing all over the World.  La Liga, Bundesliga, EPL, Serie A, and other Euro leagues.  The more varied the experiences the more they bring to the collective melting pot.

And time for roster management with 3 matches in 8 days.  Use your subs and keep fresh legs.

Eh, I think some leagues are better than others for development. As long as the kids are playing, I'd prefer them in Spain or Germany over England. I think England is good for mid career once the foundation is in place.

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Eh, I think some leagues are better than others for development. As long as the kids are playing, I'd prefer them in Spain or Germany over England. I think England is good for mid career once the foundation is in place.

I see what you're saying with the EPL being a  more direct/physical game while La Liga and Bundesliga are more technical.  The more different experience and exposures our lads get, the better.  Pulisic is a prime example having started in the Bundesliga then going to the EPL.

• Like 1

Weah... Need him to be the guy off the bench. Certainly looks good so far.

Is Richards with the team? I'd like to see him get some PT.

8 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

I see what you're saying with the EPL being a  more direct/physical game while La Liga and Bundesliga are more technical.  The more different experience and exposures our lads get, the better.  Pulisic is a prime example having started in the Bundesliga then going to the EPL.

Yeah, that's the career path I'd suggest for most of our players. The money is in the EPL and I can't fault them for taking it, but I'd rather see them develop somewhere else and then move to England.

O players start out in the Bundesliga or the Eredivisie.  MFs in Bundesliga or La Liga.  D players in La Liga or Serie A.  Then to EPL to get 'harder than a coffin nail'.

• Like 1

Here's to hoping the Red Maple Leafs hold El Tri to a draw.

BTW, are Pulisic and Reyna out the whole short lived International break or just this match?

Major credit to the 18yo Pepi who wasn't a factor in the 1st half, but put himself in good positions in the 2nd half.  That's the mark of a good ST, is to find the space and be in goal scoring positions and finish.  He finished like a savvy vet tonight.  Very promising.

3 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Major credit to the 18yo Pepi who wasn't a factor in the 1st half, but put himself in good positions in the 2nd half.  That's the mark of a good ST, is to find the space and be in goal scoring positions and finish.  He finished like a savvy vet tonight.  Very promising.

I'm trying to figure out how good he can be. I haven't really seen him play much and I don't want to get caught in the hype train. What's the comparison?

EDIT:

I'm reading Bayern and Ajax had scouts at the game tonight looking at him... Not sure how I'd feel about him going to Bayern. Obviously a hell of a club but you aren't playing ahead of Lewa and I don't generally want our guys being part of a loan farm.

1 minute ago, TEW said:

I'm trying to figure out how good he can be. I haven't really seen him play much and I don't want to get caught in the hype train. What's the comparison?

Not sure.  Maybe he can be his own player?  Would be nice to have a unique player.  He can make a good pass and knows where to be for a scoring opportunity.  Still not sure of his holdup play, though probably above average right now. 

They brought it up on the post match that he just signed a 5 year deal with FC Dallas, but with performances like this some 'bigger' club might make a big money offer and he has to be careful should that happen.  Need to go to a club where he's not just another cog where he will get minutes and the chance to hone his game and technique.  He should stay in MLS for another 2 years before moving on, IMO.  Only 18 now so he can afford to have patience and not force it.

8 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Not sure.  Maybe he can be his own player?  Would be nice to have a unique player.  He can make a good pass and knows where to be for a scoring opportunity.  Still not sure of his holdup play, though probably above average right now. 

They brought it up on the post match that he just signed a 5 year deal with FC Dallas, but with performances like this some 'bigger' club might make a big money offer and he has to be careful should that happen.  Need to go to a club where he's not just another cog where he will get minutes and the chance to hone his game and technique.  He should stay in MLS for another 2 years before moving on, IMO.  Only 18 now so he can afford to have patience and not force it.

Yeah, I edited my post above... apparently Bayern and Ajax were looking at him tonight. Ajax I can get behind, Bayern I think would be a poor choice. Lewa still has some years left and I don't want him being one of many prospects who ends up out on loan.

• Like 1