****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

51 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The fact he's not moved this summer says it all to me. He wants to go to real but they didn't have the funds to sign him this year. Plus they knew they could get him for a free next year. 

We actually have the funds. Turned a profit the past two years and had €150M in free cash flow before we sold Varane and Odegaard. That’s how we can afford Mbappe. Future finances look even better too — all sorts of older players/dead weight coming off the books: Bale and Marcelo being the most obvious, but also Modric, and two off seasons from now Hazard and and Benzema. Throw in the new stadium opening next season to generate an extra €100M of revenue per season, and money isn’t the issue.

It just seems like Perez has spent 100% of the teams effort on Mbappe. He’s obviously been an obsession for a while now, but I have a weird suspicion he wants to get that deal done early so that signing Haaland next offseason doesn’t overshadow Mbappe. It’s kind of a page out of the old school galactico marketing strategy of bringing in one global super star every season to own the headlines. Could be wrong, just a gut feeling I have. 

1 hour ago, TEW said:

We actually have the funds.

You have the funds if you don't want to sign Mbappe but as you say Pèrez seems set on getting Mbappe.

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You have the funds if you don't want to sign Mbappe but as you say Pèrez seems set on getting Mbappe.

We have the funds regardless. Plenty of cash on hand, free cash flow, credit lines, future salary coming off the books, future revenue increases, etc.

I think it’s much more about Perez’s personal fixation on Mbappe and perhaps and understanding with the player that he will get a large signing bonus if he signs as a free agent.

BREAKING:

Rennes have accepted a €31M offer for Camavinga from Real Madrid.

Madrid in advanced talks with his agent.

This guy saying it’s a done deal:

Supposedly turned down offers from United and PSG to play in the famous white shirt. :excited: 

Haven't read overly glowing reviews of Camavinga at Rennes last year. He definitely needs to take the next step

33 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Haven't read overly glowing reviews of Camavinga at Rennes last year. He definitely needs to take the next step

Really? Always seemed to be a bright spot on the few occasions I’ve seen him play.

But obviously his value is in the potential. He’s got size, athleticism, skill, and even tackles well. People forget he’s still only 18 because he’s been playing at the highest levels for a few years now. Pretty sure he’s the youngest capped player in history for France too.

I think they’ll try to groom the kid as a Modric replacement and maybe even try him out at DM behind Casemiro. Should be good in both roles.

4 hours ago, TEW said:

Really? Always seemed to be a bright spot on the few occasions I’ve seen him play.

I think 2 seasons ago he was sensational and then last year he struggled a little bit more. But he still flashed and let's not forget he was playing for a pretty average team. Sides probably game planned for him so being on a better team should help. I think he's a really exciting young player and it's a shame United couldn't get him. 

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Dumb rich 

Absolutely crazy. They should be fully investigated and punished for this alone. 

I mean, if Mbappe ends up signing on a free and they don’t win UCL, it will go down as an all time transfer failure.

As a Madrid fan, this is a higher risk but higher reward scenario: an Mbappe/Haaland partnership is a real possibility now.

Crazy days...

Chelsea missed out on Kounde but did get Saul.  Midfield now looks set.

4 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Crazy days...

Chelsea missed out on Kounde but did get Saul.  Midfield now looks set.

Dealing Zouma before Kounde was done was probably not the greatest idea in terms of maintaining a position of strength in negotiations. But with Chalobah back with the team it's hard to make an argument that an already good defense hasn't become even better. 

• Like 1

Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham

My top 4

If Man Utd. can somehow hang around until January transfer deadline when they probably get a CDM then they have a chance to compete until then they need to survive. They say Ole has his eyes set on Declan Rice

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

If Man Utd. can somehow hang around until January transfer deadline when they probably get a CDM then they have a chance to compete until then they need to survive. They say Ole has his eyes set on Declan Rice

United won't be adding a CDM in January bud. That's going to be next summer I think. 

1 hour ago, mayanh8 said:

Dealing Zouma before Kounde was done was probably not the greatest idea in terms of maintaining a position of strength in negotiations. But with Chalobah back with the team it's hard to make an argument that an already good defense hasn't become even better. 

Yes, Chalobah made Zouma expendable. Kounde will be there in the upcoming windows. 

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

Yes, Chalobah made Zouma expendable. Kounde will be there in the upcoming windows. 

Don’t bet on it... :whistle:

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

United won't be adding a CDM in January bud. That's going to be next summer I think. 

They said the same about Bruno bud

44 minutes ago, TEW said:

Don’t bet on it... :whistle:

For someone

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

They said the same about Bruno bud

That's true they did. But there's not going to be one of the big names available in January. Bruno wasn't necessarily a big name and coming from Portugal I think made any move easier.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's true they did. But there's not going to be one of the big names available in January. Bruno wasn't necessarily a big name and coming from Portugal I think made any move easier.

He was pretty highly sought after though. I know Madrid was extremely interested in him. Maybe he wasn’t a super star, but it was definitely a competitive signing.

37 minutes ago, TEW said:

He was pretty highly sought after though. I know Madrid was extremely interested in him. Maybe he wasn’t a super star, but it was definitely a competitive signing.

Oh yeah for sure he was. I just mean Sporting aren't really in a strong position to be blocking those moves. Big moves in January do happen but tend to be pretty rare. 

• Like 1

For the start of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, this lineup still seems a bit of a far cry from our 'A' Team:

Sargent

De La Fuente                                    Reyna

Aaronson             Adams         McKennie

Dest              Ream              Robinson             Yedlin

Turner

Pulisic still out after his positive COVID test earlier and Brooks on the bench.  Speaking of the bench, seems Acosta and Lletget are the only players (with Brooks) with good experience.  Pepi, the teen FC Dallas sensation, also on the bench.