****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

Electric and crazy 1st half LPool/Chelsea 2-2

On 1/2/2022 at 8:01 AM, DrPhilly said:

They've not been themselves now for over a month.  I thought it was just the injuries and then some COVID trouble but now I'm wondering if there isn't more to it in the locker room and within the club.  I think there is more to it then just Lukaku.

My take is he loved Inter and it took a lot of convincing to warm to the idea of a move back to Chelsea. The primary argument for it was that he'd be joining a team that was primed to compete for EPL and CL trophies. Fast forward several months, the team has been snake bitten with injuries, he's not producing goals the way he was at Inter, and the idea of winning trophies seems farther away than ever.

None of this is an excuse, mind you. But if I'm trying to figure out where his head was at, that'd be my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 8:34 AM, DaEagles4Life said:

Dang. 

He added that he would like to return to Inter Milan while still in the prime of his career, having only left the Serie A side last summer in a €115 million (£97.5m) deal. 

He didn't fit in the PL the first time around, surprised Chelsea went after him. His physical nature is a plus in Italy but where he has a poor first touch and also plays against physical defenders in the PL then he is just another guy. 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:42 AM, DrPhilly said:

He played very well this year.  He just missed too many games from his injury and then Tuchel bringing him back slowly.

At Inter, with Conte, they were a phenomenal counter attacking team. That meant Lukaku usually didn't have defenders glued to him and when they broke he was afforded space to work. I generally agree that his physicality should be a benefit in the EPL while shielding off defenders but like DA4L said, his first touch is really poor.

1 hour ago, mayanh8 said:

At Inter, with Conte, they were a phenomenal counter attacking team. That meant Lukaku usually didn't have defenders glued to him and when they broke he was afforded space to work. I generally agree that his physicality should be a benefit in the EPL while shielding off defenders but like DA4L said, his first touch is really poor.

Yeah, he has certainly had some bad first touches but he has played well when he has played. 

edit: So the update is out there.  He's back and they've kissed and made up.  A simple case of him being frustrated with not playing/scoring enough.  He'll be fine.  Maybe he'll move in the summer but he'll be fine the rest of the year.  In the end he is a professional and not a head case.

48 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I tell you what... United are a freaking mess! What an ish show of a club that is. 

I'm surprised it is as bad as it is this year.

9 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

I'm surprised it is as bad as it is this year.

I'm not... 2nd last year so just a false position. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I tell you what... United are a freaking mess! What an ish show of a club that is. 

Clean house time. 

13 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Clean house time. 

How many times though. I mean they've not done it yet but every time it looks like that's what is needed and they don't do it. 

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

How many times though. I mean they've not done it yet but every time it looks like that's what is needed and they don't do it. 

I think Rag is good for them and he can fix it but guys not buying in, later. 

Pogba gone for sure 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I think Rag is good for them and he can fix it but guys not buying in, later. 

Pogba gone for sure 

Problem is I'm not seeing anyone really buy in yet... Against Wolves there was zero press.

@TEW Looks like PSG has entered the fray for Rudiger.  Might not be a foregone conclusion that he ends up in Madrid.  Either way, his departure will leave a large hole in the left back at The Bridge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

@TEW Looks like PSG has entered the fray for Rudiger.  Might not be a foregone conclusion that he ends up in Madrid.  Either way, his departure will leave a large hole in the left back at The Bridge.

If I'm Rudiger I'm probably going to decide between Madrid and PSG. PSG can offer the money and obviously have a fantastic team but their league isn't very competitive. I guess it comes down to what he wants to achieve in the latter part of his career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If I'm Rudiger I'm probably going to decide between Madrid and PSG. PSG can offer the money and obviously have a fantastic team but their league isn't very competitive. I guess it comes down to what he wants to achieve in the latter part of his career. 

He’s in control

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gregg Berhalter is the Jalen Hurts of the USMNT

The team wins despite him most of the time, but he'll get credit from his superiors who are too dumb and deluded to realize he sucks

We should have won 3-0 last night but have to squeak by.  

Canada will probably embarrass us, which will be great

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike31mt said:

The team wins despite him most of the time, but he'll get credit from his superiors who are too dumb and deluded to realize he sucks

No Pepi Is crazy 

11 hours ago, Mike31mt said:

Who, then, should Coach the USMNT?

It's the Coaches fault that these players can't finish a shot on goal, a crossed header, a blast on a set piece??!! LMFAO

4 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Mason Greenwood should be in jail. Gf released some pictures and audio which is pretty disturbing 

He's apparently been arrested now, he'll be gone, I think the only reason he's not already is the club waiting for an official guilty to head off any legal issues around tearing up his contract, I'd rather they took their chances and got rid to be honest the audio is harrowing.

Be a bit surprised if they don't recall Diallo or Pellistri as cover.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:59 PM, LacesOut said:

Who, then, should Coach the USMNT?

It's the Coaches fault that these players can't finish a shot on goal, a crossed header, a blast on a set piece??!! LMFAO

How about literally any f'ing coach with a shred of experience and one who doesnt get the job through nepotism?

We'll put the bar there and see if we can somehow get over it

The US could play for another 180 min, doesn't matter, cant score.   Berhalter is clueless, struggling against an MLS side

In fact, the guy probably couldnt even hack it in the MLS.  But hes our national team coach, somehow

• Like 1

0-2 game over

Embarrassed by the f'ing Canadians

You could compose an all star Euro roster and Berhalter would have them struggling vs Panama.   What a f'ing disgrace