****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

😄

The announcers were criticizing the Barca substitutions who I guess were all teen-agers.  LOL

4 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

The announcers were criticizing the Barca substitutions who I guess were all teen-agers.  LOL

They are a mess

5 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

They are a mess

I like AC Milan so I feel like I’ve seen this show before.

6 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

They are a mess

2 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

I like AC Milan so I feel like I’ve seen this show before.

La Masia isn't what it used to be. They went from producing the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Pique, and Puyol to this slop. Throw in a series of some of the worst transfers in history, and they've gone from historically great to a laughing stock.

The Milan comparison isn't even fair to Milan because they never had the finances of Barca. In any sane world, Barca should have parlayed the success of their golden generation into a never ending stream of young talent. Throw in a few decent transfers and they should have been in a great position even post Messi. But they just failed in every regard. Hundreds of millions in wasted transfers, an insanely bloated payroll, and almost no young talent coming from the academy. It's going to take them years to recover. The only thing they have going for them over Milan is money. They're in a bad position but the fan base and finances combined with the Barca badge are probably enough for a relatively quick turnaround if they play their cards right.

• Like 1

Hell of a game winner in the Madrid Inter match. 89th minute, Camavinga volleys a short pass to Rodrygo who himself volleys it home for the win. Here’s a low quality and mirror angle:

Vinicius is the talk of the town right now — rightly so — was the most dangerous player on the pitch yet again, but don’t sleep on Rodrygo. He’s not as flashy or athletic as Vini, but he’s incredibly talented in his own right. Frankly, with Bale out indefinitely and Hazard being a flop, this kid needs to play more minutes, especially when the alternative is Lucas Vazquez.

Camavinga has also been fantastic in his limited time so far. For a player mostly known for defense and controlling the midfield, he has a goal and an assist in less than 90 minutes of play.

The kids are going to be alright!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TEW said:

Camavinga has also been fantastic in his limited time so far. For a player mostly known for defense and controlling the midfield, he has a goal and an assist in less than 90 minutes of play.

I think he's a bit of a do it all midfielder isn't he? That's what I'd heard. He can play that defensive controlling role but he can also be a box to box player and contribute to the attack. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think he's a bit of a do it all midfielder isn't he? That's what I'd heard. He can play that defensive controlling role but he can also be a box to box player and contribute to the attack. 

He has a lot of skills and the potential was always there, but I don’t think he was particularly known for his attacking contribution when playing in France. He started out as a CDM and then morphed into a kind of hybrid B2B.

So far at Madrid he’s been subbing for Modric who is generally our most advanced midfielder. He’s been aggressive about getting into the box when he doesn’t have the ball. Definitely a change of roles if nothing else.

When we originally began scouting him, I think most people viewed him as Casemiro’s eventual replacement. Now it seems that he will play in a more advanced position while Fede plays as a B2B. Pretty big shift in style from the Modric/Kroos pairing; we will lose ball control and precision passing but gain defense and physicality. I suppose that will work with a revamped attacking trident.

• Like 1

Hell of a comeback by Madrid at Valencia. Always a very difficult place to play.

Vinicius continued his rise to stardom. Collects the equalizer in the 73rd minute and assists the game winner to Benzema with a beautiful cross in the 88th minute.

On the USMNT front, Musah looked dangerous against Madrid veteran Nacho. Nacho is perhaps better at CB than LB, but he’s very fast, a great man defender, and has been a key bench utility player through Madrid’s European dynasty. Very nice showing from Musah.

7 hours ago, TEW said:

Vinicius continued his rise to stardom. Collects the equalizer in the 73rd minute and assists the game winner to Benzema with a beautiful cross in the 88th minute.

He's having a great start to the year isn't he!

16 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Best player in the world right now, prove me wrong. 

He’s certainly up there. On pure form so far this season I might take Benzema over him. Haaland has one more goal in the same number of games played but Benzema is averaging over 1 goal and 1 assist per game. Don’t think you could go wrong with either player.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:48 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

Best player in the world right now, prove me wrong. 

He's unplayable. I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone quite like him. He's big and strong, powerful but he's quick and he's got insane touch and vision. He's almost like Ronaldo and Messi rolled in to one.

41 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's unplayable. I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone quite like him. He's big and strong, powerful but he's quick and he's got insane touch and vision. He's almost like Lewandowski, Ronaldo and Messi rolled in to one.

FYP.

BTW, for any of you watching Ted Lasso, here's an unedited clip of a scene where they sort of reenact Ronaldo's CL SF goal vs the Arse(nal).  The actor played youth football and still plays in 5v5 matches a couple times/week.  They were expecting to have to do CGI for the shot, but he hits this first time.  Pretty cool.  Naturally, they CGI in the crowd/stadium later, but they have a football technical advisor to try and get plays as close to real as possible and most of the actors had to submit videos of them playing football to be considered.

• Like 1

Real Madrid 6 Mallorca 1

2 more goals and 2 more assists for Benzema and should have had a hat trick if it weren’t for a dubious VAR call, granted it was against Mallorca. This guy has just gotten better and better with age. Makes me wonder what kind of numbers he would have put up had he been the focal point of the offense through his prime instead of the facilitator for Ronaldo and Bale.

Camavinga got his first start in place of Casemiro and was absolutely brilliant. This kid is looking to be really special. He plays like a veteran under pressure. Great ball control, quick thinking, and sound defensively. He will be the prototypical DM if he improves his long range passing. Man of the match if it wasn’t for...

Asensio got a start and put in a hat trick. Could have had 4. Was absolutely lethal.

Vinicius didn’t get a goal, but watching him play he always looks to be the most dangerous player on the pitch.

Rodrygo, Isco and Alaba also put in fine performances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's unplayable. I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone quite like him. He's big and strong, powerful but he's quick and he's got insane touch and vision. He's almost like Ronaldo and Messi rolled in to one.

Not sure I see the Messi comparison. I see a lot of Zlatan as far as the size combined with touch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TEW said:

Not sure I see the Messi comparison. I see a lot of Zlatan as far as the size combined with touch.

Ok the Messi one was perhaps a little far in terms of style. I mean he doesn't go past people in the same way as Messi has done. But I was just trying to make the point that he's got such a subtle touch and feel to his game. He isn't all power.

TEW - Rumors about Rudiger and Real.  His contract is ending and he has been holding out on an extension.  He's been a stud for the last 18 months for Chelsea.  We sure want to keep him.

@TEW

On 9/23/2021 at 3:20 AM, DrPhilly said:

TEW - Rumors about Rudiger and Real.  His contract is ending and he has been holding out on an extension.  He's been a stud for the last 18 months for Chelsea.  We sure want to keep him.

@TEW

I’ve seen those rumors. Alaba and Militao have played pretty well though and if we go for Mbappe and Haaland we'll have limited funds left over.

Madrid definitely need to get younger in the midfield, and we’ve been linked with him and Pogba.

The issue I see is playing time. Kroos and Casemiro are still at the top of their game, so there is 1 starting spot available assuming Modric is not renewed or goes to the bench.

Fede Velverde has been a revelation the last two seasons, Camavinga looks ready to start, and Asensio is already complaining about playing time, and then there is Isco frozen out.

Signing him or Pogba on a free would be great, obviously, but I worry it will stunt the growth of our youngsters. Knowing Madrid we’ll likely sign one of those guys and sell Asensio and/or Isco. 

Heavyweight match today in London.  A bunch of yellow cards and a slew of professional fouls.  Not many goal chances in the 1st half with City on the ball 70% of the time.  The 2nd half opened up and play was frantic at times.  In the end, Grealish was a monster and City came away with a deserved 1-0 victory.  Both squads look to figure into the battle both in the PL and the CL it would seem.

• Like 1

Was surprised to see United fall and City got the result at Stamford Bridge to leave only Liverpool without a loss.  A chance to go 3 points clear and they flubbed it with poor defending.  It was a fun match vs newly promoted and caution to the wind Brentford.  They're not parking the bus vs the big boys as they already took down one earlier.  But leads of 2-1 and 3-2 pissed away which I put more on Klopp getting his tactics wrong.  Inviting a transition game was a mistake.  He took off MF Jones (right after he scored to go up 3-2) and puts on Firmino so now there's 4 FWs on the pitch.  He should have made a second sub and took off one of Mane'/Joto/Salah for a MF and had Hendo and Fabinho sit back in front of the CBs to break up any transitional attacking play.  Nope.  Instead played an NBA track meet and got burned.  Now City comes to Anfield next weekend and up only 1 point on them instead of 3.  Every point is going to count this season.  Can't cough any up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Was surprised to see United fall

You may have been the only one bud 🤣 despite being unbeaten in the league United have been far from convincing so far.