****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Lead the best league in the world in goals. Our problem was mainly that injuries forced players into too many minutes and to play out of position. 

Your problem was that the refs didn't gift you any goals like they did last year. 

If you haven't seen the highlights of this Sheffield Wednesday EFL game, do yourself a favor and look them up on YouTube.

7 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Your problem was that the refs didn't gift you any goals like they did last year. 

No goals were gifted last year except one against Madrid. Cope harder.

20 hours ago, TEW said:

Madrid is probably the single most financially responsible club among the super clubs. Our net transfer spend isn’t even in the top 20 in the world. Through COVID we sold a ton of players and ran a net profit unlike almost every other club. The finances are publicly available. No state aid either.

Barca is the opposite and in financial shambles. Don’t lump us in with them.

PEDs… I just assume the majority of athletes in every sport on every team use them. Kind of is what it is.

Your first paragraph is nonsense, Madrid were in over 300 million Euro's of debt as recently as the beginning of this season and much like Barcelona reduced that by selling the right to use stadium as an events venue for the next 20 years.

You tell any normal person on the street the details of the land deal with Madrid Council that saw them found guilty of receiving state aid in 2013 (before somehow winning an appeal) and see if they think it sounds legit.

For anyone on here who wants to know, in the 1998 Madrid Council bought part of Real's training ground for 23 million euros, half the money was paid in cash, the rest was in land and property that Real developed and sold at profit in order to fund extravagant spending throughout the Early 2000's.

As part of that already odd deal, the council had given Real a strip of land called Las Tablas which was valued at 421 thousand euros, in 2011 as the club were struggling to keep up with Barcelona on the field and struggling to afford the land to expand their stadium, the council suddenly decided it absolutely had to have that strip of land back because, get this, they may not have owned it in the first place. So they looked into it and shucks it seems they kind of undervalued the strip of land in 1998 and that in order to compensate the club, it had to pay wait for it... 22.7 million euros (a 5400% increase on the original valuation) in cash and property to buy it back, so the club got a cash injection, the land to expand it's stadium and another few parcels of prime Madrid real estate to enable another round of spending.

They were found guilty of receiving state aid by the EU but appealed and incredibly in 2016 an independent commission decided that giving the club a piece of land, and then later giving them cash and land to a value 5400% higher to buy it back couldn't technically be deemed state aid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TEW said:

No goals were gifted last year except one against Madrid. Cope harder.

Clear foul by Benzema against Donnarumma which ended up being the difference. Cheat harder.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Your first paragraph is nonsense, Madrid were in over 300 million Euro's of debt as recently as the beginning of this season and much like Barcelona reduced that by selling the right to use stadium as an events venue for the next 20 years.

You tell any normal person on the street the details of the land deal with Madrid Council that saw them found guilty of receiving state aid in 2013 (before somehow winning an appeal) and see if they think it sounds legit.

For anyone on here who wants to know, in the 1998 Madrid Council bought part of Real's training ground for 23 million euros, half the money was paid in cash, the rest was in land and property that Real developed and sold at profit in order to fund extravagant spending throughout the Early 2000's.

As part of that already odd deal, the council had given Real a strip of land called Las Tablas which was valued at 421 thousand euros, in 2011 as the club were struggling to keep up with Barcelona on the field and struggling to afford the land to expand their stadium, the council suddenly decided it absolutely had to have that strip of land back because, get this, they may not have owned it in the first place. So they looked into it and shucks it seems they kind of undervalued the strip of land in 1998 and that in order to compensate the club, it had to pay wait for it... 22.7 million euros (a 5400% increase on the original valuation) in cash and property to buy it back, so the club got a cash injection, the land to expand it's stadium and another few parcels of prime Madrid real estate to enable another round of spending.

They were found guilty of receiving state aid by the EU but appealed and incredibly in 2016 an independent commission decided that giving the club a piece of land, and then later giving them cash and land to a value 5400% higher to buy it back couldn't technically be deemed state aid.

Holy financial illiteracy!

Yes, Madrid took on debt… TO RENOVATE THEIR STADIUM. :roll:

Profitability has nothing to do with debt. Absolutely nothing. Leverage is a good thing and increases profitability if well managed. And Madrid is very, very well managed. Do you understand that the new stadium will increase revenue to easily service that debt? It would be financially irresponsible to NOT renovate the stadium. 

Selling naming rights and management rights is somehow a problem now? :roll: 

This is the most basic bish business deal possible. Sorry if Perez is a good businessman and understands standard revenue streams for the industry. There’s nothing illegal or shady about it. And comparing it to Barca’s sad state of affairs is comical. Barca had to sell off business assets to avert calamity while Madrid sold some young players to maintain yearly 8 digit profitability. Barca were 9 figures over their wage budget while Madrid is under their wage budget. Madrid was sitting on €425 MILLION in cash entering last offseason while Barca was flirting with receivership.

"Before somehow winning on appeal.” :roll: 

Yeah, it’s called legality and people who understand finance rather than a bunch of bitter EU morons angry that Madrid dominates their country’s teams every year.

Comical cope here. :lol: 

Last line the kicker 

"It wasn't the first time, nor the second, nor the third. Racism is normal in La Liga. The competition thinks it's normal, the Federation does too and the opponents encourage it.

"I'm so sorry. The championship that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano and Messi today belongs to racists.

"A beautiful nation, which welcomed me and which I love, but which agreed to export the image of a racist country to the world.

"I'm sorry for the Spaniards who don't agree, but today, in Brazil, Spain is known as a country of racists.

"And unfortunately, for everything that happens each week, I have no defence. I agree. But I am strong and I will go to the end against racists. Even if far from here."

La Liga finally see the writing on the wall and are in full-out backpedal now.

5 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Thanks Madrid 

Best DM of his generation, and it’s not particularly close IMO. But as they say, better to move on a year too early than a year too late.

• 2 weeks later...

GOAT headed to miami apparently. A barca reunion would've been cool but I guess he's ready to ease into retirement sooner rather than later.

Just now, we_gotta_believe said:

GOAT headed to miami apparently. A barca reunion would've been cool but I guess he's ready to ease into retirement sooner rather than later.

Owns a house in Miami, closer for 2024 COPA America and WC. Looks like he is getting revenue sharing from Apple+

4 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Owns a house in Miami, closer for 2024 COPA America and WC. Looks like he is getting revenue sharing from Apple+

Already looked into getting tickets for their game against the Fire at Soldier field. On a wednesday night though so my oldest would have to miss school the next day if we stay overnight.

4 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Already looked into getting tickets for their game against the Fire at Soldier field. On a wednesday night though so my oldest would have to miss school the next day if we stay overnight.

He is going to draw in big big numbers. 

Adidas, which is among MLS’ largest corporate sponsors, has prepared its own potential arrangement to entice Messi to the United States, multiple sources briefed on those plans told The Athletic on Tuesday. Messi is being offered a profit-sharing agreement with the sportswear giant, those sources said, which would involve the player receiving a cut of any increase in Adidas’ profits resulting from his involvement in MLS.

Benzema headed to Saudi Arabia, looks like Kane will be his replacement.

Not sure how I feel about Kane. He’s on the older side and English strikers tend to struggle with the compact low boxes in La Liga.

There is no replacing what Benzema brings to the position in the world today, but I suppose Kane is decent at holdup play and obviously he can finish.

Kai Havertz is also on the list to replace Asensio. I wouldn’t mind him as a utility player. Still young at 23 and might come cheap. Price will determine if I like the transfer.

Perez is supposedly going to spend 300-400 million this transfer window.

Bellingham - 100M

Kane - 150M?

Kai Havertz - 50M?

That leaves up to 100M to bring in some wingbacks.

Supposedly Madrid is trying to bring in Alphonso Davies. That would be an electric left wing with Vinicius, but he has 2 years left on his deal.

Supposedly Mbappe’s contract has a year left on it so I also wonder if we go back in for him in January on a free transfer.

This could be a switch back to the Galacticos policy. The only old guard that remain are Modric, Kroos, Carvajal and Nacho at this point. We have excellent youth prospects in place already, so fortifying with stars like Bellingham, Kane and Davies would make some sense.

Messi has once again out maneuvered Ronaldo with him going to the US. No one cares about Ronaldo and him playing in Saudi, while Messi off a WC coming to the US is going to be start of a trend and only increase his brand

Going to Saudi is like the China trying to buy all those guys a few years ago. 

3 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Messi has once again out maneuvered Ronaldo with him going to the US. No one cares about Ronaldo and him playing in Saudi, while Messi off a WC coming to the US is going to be start of a trend and only increase his brand

Going to Saudi is like the China trying to buy all those guys a few years ago. 

Not really sure it's trend setting though... Beckham, Henry, Pirlo, Zlatan, Bale, etc. They all took a couple retirement laps here before hanging em up. You could even argue Pele set the stage for this all the way back in the 70's. 

44 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Not really sure it's trend setting though... Beckham, Henry, Pirlo, Zlatan, Bale, etc. They all took a couple retirement laps here before hanging em up. You could even argue Pele set the stage for this all the way back in the 70's. 

Beckham was before social media started to gain traction and the other names don't have nearly the draw Messi has. No one gives a crap about Pirlo 

Apple+ is going to see a major boost in subscriptions