Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

18 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'm watching The Menu tonight. Just came out on HBOMax. No idea if it's good or not though. 

This is my plan for tonight also. I was trying to see it in the theater this week before I realized it was on HBO Max.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hputenis said:

My wife is back to her mom's tonight with the daughter, so I'm binging some horror once she leaves.  Anyone have any recommendations?  @LeanMeanGM @Shepard Wong @eaglegenius?  I'm thinking of checking out Significant Others.  I heard it was decent.  Last night after the horrific football incident with Hamlin, I watched Barbarians on Hulu, not to be confused with Barbarian.  It started out awesome with an amazing setting for a movie (it was on a huge plot of land outside of London that had been owned by a family for generations).  It stars Ramsey from Game of Thrones, who has a top 5 punchable face.  I would recommend it if you're bored.  

Reveal hidden contents

The plot is extremely predictable, like immediately from the beginning.  The antagonist also does a great job of being even extremely hateable.  Ramsey is also very short, and he gets made fun of it for the entire length of the movie, which was comical.  

I’ll have to add it to my list although I’m so behind I haven’t watched Barbarian yet either. I finally managed to binge season 1 of Yellowjackets last week during vacation so you can imagine how long my watchlist is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I’ll have to add it to my list although I’m so behind I haven’t watched Barbarian yet either. I finally managed to binge season 1 of Yellowjackets last week during vacation so you can imagine how long my watchlist is.

What were your thoughts?  I've actually never gotten around to it, and I've heard mixed reviews.  Almost none of the reviews are in the middle either.  It's either amazing or it sucked! 

2 minutes ago, hputenis said:

What were your thoughts?  I've actually never gotten around to it, and I've heard mixed reviews.  Almost none of the reviews are in the middle either.  It's either amazing or it sucked! 

I won’t change that dynamic at all.  I loved it and can’t wait for season 2 to start in March. It’s a uniquely successful blending of genres that works well in all of those aspects. The performance of the largely young cast is exceptional. The twists the story takes feel earned, not just contrived to "shock” the audience.  Give it a shot. You will probably know after a few episodes if it’s your thing or not.  I think it probably will be.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I won’t change that dynamic at all.  I loved it and can’t wait for season 2 to start in March. It’s a uniquely successful blending of genres that works well in all of those aspects. The performance of the largely young cast is exceptional. The twists the story takes feel earned, not just contrived to "shock” the audience.  Give it a shot. You will probably know after a few episodes if it’s your thing or not.  I think it probably will be.

Sold!

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'm watching The Menu tonight. Just came out on HBOMax. No idea if it's good or not though. 

I’m not even halfway through this movie yet and I give it an A++ so far. What an awesome concept for a movie, especially for foodies.  @4for4EaglesNest was a chef.

Spoiler

I could definitely see him creating a dining experience like this specifically designed for members of the blog.  😂   Not to mention, Chosen from Karate Kid 2 is in this!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw menu in theaters. Really enjoyable watch. 

4 hours ago, hputenis said:

I’m not even halfway through this movie yet and I give it an A++ so far. What an awesome concept for a movie, especially for foodies.  @4for4EaglesNest was a chef.

Hide contents

I could definitely see him creating a dining experience like this specifically designed for members of the blog.  😂   Not to mention, Chosen from Karate Kid 2 is in this!!  

Just finished it. I liked it a lot and thought it was a really fun watch. I don’t think I’d call it horror necessarily although some parts were uneasy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Just finished it. I liked it a lot and thought it was a really fun watch. I don’t think I’d call it horror necessarily although some parts were uneasy. 

Agreed. It was more of a dark comedy than I realized it was going to be but it was fun.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 6:43 PM, hputenis said:

I thought Yellowjackets was really good. You’ll get vibes of a few different shows and movies without it being too close to any of them, if that makes sense?

If dark undertones, mystery, and a bit of horror/suspense is your thing then you should like it.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 4:23 PM, Shepard Wong said:

Barbarian was solid but not anything to lose sleep over not seeing IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TEW said:

I thought Yellowjackets was really good. You’ll get vibes of a few different shows and movies without it being too close to any of them, if that makes sense?

If dark undertones, mystery, and a bit of horror/suspense is your thing then you should like it.

I am through the 1st episode and a little bit of the 2nd, and I am definitely into it.  I'll probably binge it Sunday morning before the Eagles kick the Giants arse.  

• Like 2

I saw M3gan last night and liked it.  It’s mainstream horror played more for laughs than scares but it’s a fun watch with a good crowd. It doesn’t take itself seriously at all.  I saw it in a half filled but pretty large theater and the crowd was very into it.

• Like 2

Skinamarink releases this Friday.  The trailer seems creepy as hell.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 4

The Menu was a fun watch. Not really horror as others said, more of a twisted dark comedy almost?

High production value for a "small” film, good dialogue, fun theme… Not a mind blowing movie or anything, but worth the watch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

Skinamarink releases this Friday.  The trailer seems creepy as hell.  Looking forward to it.

I’m intrigued

17 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

hereditary is now on hbomax...if you haven't seen it yet. 

Once was enough for me <_<

23 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

Wow - I am very intrigued.  That looks great!  

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Once was enough for me <_<

Not a fan??!  Or does it scare the sheet out of you?  

16 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Wow - I am very intrigued.  That looks great!  

Not a fan??!  Or does it scare the sheet out of you?  

Spoiler

It didn't scare the sheet out of me, just not interested in seeing the mom saw her own head off a second time :lol: it was a very good movie.  I preferred Midsommar to that one though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The last 20 minutes or so of Hereditary was pretty F’ing scary. The scene with the sister in the car went from extremely intense to extremely disturbing in a split second. Just a very discomforting movie, although not nearly as discomforting as Midsommar, which I personally liked considerably less.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 3:37 PM, Shepard Wong said:

So I read a bit about the premise of this movie - it sounds terrifying 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

WTF :lol: 

I didn't realize that this was actually his movie that was originally called "Disappointment Blvd."  I'm sure it's gonna be a total mind F.  

Agreed on Midsommar.  I didn't even see previews or hear about that movie (because it was made at the exact same time as Hereditary), and it punched me right in the face.  It's one of my favorites.