EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

Are you saying some random fat drunk Cubs fan isn't exactly the same as this POS? They both flashed the sign!

that's exactly what I'm saying.  One guy appears to be a skinhead, in handcuffs getting ready to head to jail.  The other guy by all assumptions could be 6 beers deep saying I'm going to make all my buddies look on live TV.

We should never assume intent and then smear someone over national media before having any information like the Cubs did but the NZ guy...yea safe to assume intent.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't see how Quinn would fit on the roster unless they cut Barnett.  I would rather they get a pick or package like TJ Edwards and Dillard for Roquan Smith. Of course, that kind of deal sounds like some stupid TATE thing.  

If that's all it takes to get rid of Barnett... let's do it!!!

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

NSFW

Hide contents

Eddie Murphy Okay GIF - Eddie Murphy Okay - Discover & Share ...

Funny stuff but this movie was way before white hate groups co opted the ok sign to mean white power.

Is that golden child or 48 hours???

3 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Goedert is good but come on… 

The argument is more about the replacement players than the actual starter. I'd say its either Goedert or Brown

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

The argument is more about the replacement players than the actual starter. I'd say its either Goedert or Brown

This.

The step down is what matters.

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Step down from Brown is Smith and he's pretty good, no???

42 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Don't disagree but you can go back and look at the instances where people were called out and clearly tell it's some drunk guy doing it because he's on camera.  I could be wrong, maybe that's the most racist guy ever behind Glanville.  The Cubs sure think so. I mean they are repulsed.

Was that a 'white power' symbol at the Chicago Cubs game? Still not ok. —  The Employer Handbook Blog — May 10, 2019

followed by:

Such ignorant and repulsive behavior is not tolerated at Wrigley Field. We are reviewing the incident thoroughly because no one should be subjected to this type of offensive behavior. Any derogatory conduct should be reported immediately to our ballpark staff. Any individual behaving in this manner will not only be removed from the ballpark, but will be permanently banned from Wrigley Field.

So Bubba Ray is racist and D-Von is a reverse racist?  Does it matter which way your hand is? 

image.gif.967de6689d099145967cf5060a29ee95.gif

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Step down from Brown is Smith and he's pretty good, no???

Smith is going to already be on the field though. My initial thought was taking out Brown slows down the offense and means more playing time for Reagor. But maybe it's just more Pascal/Watkins which might not be too bad. 

11 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Back to football...

So does the performance of Jurgens so far move Goedert ahead of Kelce as the most indispensable player on the team?

I wonder whether Jason Kelce could be potential trade target for a team like Tampa.  It would be up there with moving on from Dawkins but I could see where a team like Tampa would consider making the trade.  

Just now, NCiggles said:

I wonder whether Jason Kelce could be potential trade target for a team like Tampa.  It would be up there with moving on from Dawkins but I could see where a team like Tampa would consider making the trade.  

That would be a whole different level than Dawkins, but probably the closest comparison. 

Never going to happen though. Tampa could trade it's entire 2023 draft and I still don't think Howie would dare make that move.

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

If they actually got some return for the trade, it would be a massive step up from the Dawkins move.  Maybe more in line with Chase Utley.  But ultimately, I don't know that Kelce would be ok with it.  

Guest justrelax
38 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Ok.

What are your thoughts on the defensive front 

It's been said that Gannon is going to use a multiple front hybrid defense this year 

Against the jets I counted a few 3-4 base looks and a couple base 4-3 looks interestingly in nickel there were quite a few 2-4 looks and a few times Gannon brought over load blitzes bringing one OLB, ILB and a nickel DB off that side.

Personally I prefer 3-3-5 over 2-4-5 but I think both are looks that Gannon can execute with current personnel.

When in nickel and not 2-4-5 it looked to be just  a 4-2 over or under front with the over or under being a stand up rusher?

Anybody have any comments on what they think of these fronts from Gannon and if they'll be more effective than the crap Gannon put out there last year?

A couple of months back I blathered on about the 4i front which, to me, is really a 5-1 front with three DTs and two DE/LB and a single MLB. This was the screen shot I used:

2022-01-25.thumb.png.b5186fc43217bb65d8628a3b78d871bf.png

It's called a 4i because the two DTs line up on the inside shoulder of the offensive tackles. Basically, you're trying to stop the run game with four guys - the two DTs, the NT, and the MLB. The outside DE/LBs can rush or drop out and everyone else plays man or zone or whatever. Gannon wanted to run this a lot, I believe, but Cox didn't like playing NT and nobody else was capable of handling the steady dose of double-teams that position entails. Gannon didn't have the personnel to run it effectively but he installed it anyway.

Now, he's got the personnel. Davis, of course, is the ideal NT, which is the key to this whole defense. If the NT demands a double-team, the MLB is clean, free to run sideline to sideline. We have two or three guys who can do that - Dean, White, and, to a slightly lesser extent, Edwards. 

Getting back to the 4i DTs, because they line up on the inside shoulder of the tackles, they occupy the tackles on most plays. This brings me to the DE/LBs. As you can see in the screen shot, the DE on the right is facing TEs rather than an OT. They are less able to pass block so that's something of a mismatch. The DE on the other side is basically uncovered. This is where Reddick and White come in, both quick-twitch athletes. The 4i front is ideal for them. It also goes to a subject several bloggers complained about - Reddick dropping into coverage. In the above screen shot, facing two TEs, if he drops into coverage it takes away the quick pass to one of those TEs and the QB doesn't know if he's coming or dropping.

I won't go into the blitzes and stunts that come out of the 4i but there are a lot of them, as there are with the 3-4, of which this is a variant. You can rush 3, or 4, or 5, or 6 guys out of this alignment without altering the pre-snap picture you're giving the QB. And because you have 5 guys on the LOS, with the DEs in essentially a wide-9 alignment, stretch plays and outside zones don't work well because you can't hook those DEs.

Behind the 5-1 you can align your DBs as you see fit. On passing downs you can pull a DE and add a box safety or slot corner. And so on.

We'll run other stuff as well but I expect to see a lot of this. The additions Howie has made to the defense - Davis, Reddick, White, and Dean - are perfect fits. Howie didn't just add good players, he got players with specific talents that mesh in this system. I am so looking forward to watching them.

Smith is going to already be on the field though. My initial thought was taking out Brown slows down the offense and means more playing time for Reagor. But maybe it's just more Pascal/Watkins which might not be too bad. 

Yeah I think it would be more Watkins and Pascal.

I think reagor if still here is going to get a chance at 3 splash plays a game, whether a jet sweep or wr screen or a deep ball.

I think Watkins and Pascal probably get more snaps than reagor.

We'll see.

6 minutes ago, justrelax said:

A couple of months back I blathered on about the 4i front which, to me, is really a 5-1 front with three DTs and two DE/LB and a single MLB. This was the screen shot I used:

2022-01-25.thumb.png.b5186fc43217bb65d8628a3b78d871bf.png

It's called a 4i because the two DTs line up on the inside shoulder of the offensive tackles. Basically, you're trying to stop the run game with four guys - the two DTs, the NT, and the MLB. The outside DE/LBs can rush or drop out and everyone else plays man or zone or whatever. Gannon wanted to run this a lot, I believe, but Cox didn't like playing NT and nobody else was capable of handling the steady dose of double-teams that position entails. Gannon didn't have the personnel to run it effectively but he installed it anyway.

Now, he's got the personnel. Davis, of course, is the ideal NT, which is the key to this whole defense. If the NT demands a double-team, the MLB is clean, free to run sideline to sideline. We have two or three guys who can do that - Dean, White, and, to a slightly lesser extent, Edwards. 

Getting back to the 4i DTs, because they line up on the inside shoulder of the tackles, they occupy the tackles on most plays. This brings me to the DE/LBs. As you can see in the screen shot, the DE on the right is facing TEs rather than an OT. They are less able to pass block so that's something of a mismatch. The DE on the other side is basically uncovered. This is where Reddick and White come in, both quick-twitch athletes. The 4i front is ideal for them. It also goes to a subject several bloggers complained about - Reddick dropping into coverage. In the above screen shot, facing two TEs, if he drops into coverage it takes away the quick pass to one of those TEs and the QB doesn't know if he's coming or dropping.

I won't go into the blitzes and stunts that come out of the 4i but there are a lot of them, as there are with the 3-4, of which this is a variant. You can rush 3, or 4, or 5, or 6 guys out of this alignment without altering the pre-snap picture you're giving the QB. And because you have 5 guys on the LOS, with the DEs in essentially a wide-9 alignment, stretch plays and outside zones don't work well because you can't hook those DEs.

Behind the 5-1 you can align your DBs as you see fit. On passing downs you can pull a DE and add a box safety or slot corner. And so on.

We'll run other stuff as well but I expect to see a lot of this. The additions Howie has made to the defense - Davis, Reddick, White, and Dean - are perfect fits. Howie didn't just add good players, he got players with specific talents that mesh in this system. I am so looking forward to watching them.

Im guessing this pic is from last year?

The nose is Hargrave with the two 4i being cox and sweat.

The two ILB singleton and Edwards with Barnett in the wrakside as a stand up rusher and then not sure who 58 was last year but he's way out there in a wide 9 almost.

In your estimation who would be in this alignment with current personnel.

Davis at Nose Cox and Hargrave at 4i sweat and Reddick at the Edge and Edwards and white/Dean in the middle???

That would be a whole different level than Dawkins, but probably the closest comparison. 

Never going to happen though. Tampa could trade it's entire 2023 draft and I still don't think Howie would dare make that move.

Let's say Jurgens starts and plays well in the first 2 games of the season.  Let's say Tampa struggles with Jensen's back up and Tom is unhappy.  Arguably Center is the deepest position on the team with Jurgens, Dickinson and Seumalo all having experience at the position.  Do you think Howie would not consider a 2nd day pick for Kelce? 

3 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Do you think Howie would not consider a 2nd day pick for Kelce? 

I think this would totally be up to Kelce.  He has earned that.

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Let's say Jurgens starts and plays well in the first 2 games of the season.  Let's say Tampa struggles with Jensen's back up and Tom is unhappy.  Arguably Center is the deepest position on the team with Jurgens, Dickinson and Seumalo all having experience at the position.  Do you think Howie would not consider a 2nd day pick for Kelce? 

I think this is one of the few instances where the player would have some input. Considering how close he's seemingly been to retirement the past few off seasons, I can't imagine he'd want to pack up shop and go play for Tampa for a year. He got his ring so he doesn't have to chase one. 

I think from an organization perspective it makes sense, but from a fan/player perspective, it would be horrible. 

3 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I think from a contract/cap standpoint it wouldn’t make a lot of sense. I raised the same scenario a couple weeks ago.

48 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

NZ shooter flashing white power hand signal. He is also is from the Azov battalion in the Ukraine.

image.png.82269a36059613f6b952b8295706b190.png

Looks like what the kids used to do. You make that symbol and if someone looks at it you get to hit them

Kelce's contract is essentially untradeable because of the void years. They could offer us a 1st and we'd likely have to turn it down.

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Why make that sign on camera, behind a black guy 

There are 5 hundred other hand gestures one could choose to make on camera while drunk, why make that one.

I'm going to guess he's not playing made you look, nor is he signalling ok as it's upside down and last I checked he isn't celebrating a TD by putting two over his eyes which leaves the other reason that sign is used by people, those being white supremacist.

White supremacist co opted that sign because it's a common hand gesture that can be easily excused by claiming one was simply doing something else.

Like I said In this case it makes zero sense he was doing anything else, much like the many times people have been caught flashing this sign then claiming it was an innocent hand gesture.

Apparently people use it as a "circle game" thing where someone flashes it and if you look down you get punched.

I don't like to make assumptions about people's motivations. Certainly not enough to ban a person from a venue. It just sets a terrible precedent, honestly. That you allow a small band of trolls to take a word or symbol hostage. You're giving them power that way. Basically, if motivated, a few hundred crazy people could come together and start using any word or symbol in a negative way and if it becomes "associated with extremists" then we must ban it!

Archived