Playstation 5

opengeo

Thanks, @Bwestbrook36 and @we_gotta_believe!  I appreciate it.  I’ll try this if and when it happens again.  I completely forgot when I was initially describing the incident earlier but this crash occurred right after the controller became unresponsive in-game.  I was playing as Miles and in the middle of breaking up a crime and suddenly had no control whatsoever over him.  I’m assuming that’s related to the controller continuing to vibrate occasionally even after the screen went blank.  Another time just before a more basic freeze I suddenly lost the ability to manually save.  The option was still visible in the pause menu, just nothing happened when I tried to select it.  So weird.  In any event, I appreciate the responses, hopefully holding the power button for a longer period of time will help!

7 minutes ago, EaglesFan said:

Thanks, @Bwestbrook36 and @we_gotta_believe!  I appreciate it.  I’ll try this if and when it happens again.  I completely forgot when I was initially describing the incident earlier but this crash occurred right after the controller became unresponsive in-game.  I was playing as Miles and in the middle of breaking up a crime and suddenly had no control whatsoever over him.  I’m assuming that’s related to the controller continuing to vibrate occasionally even after the screen went blank.  Another time just before a more basic freeze I suddenly lost the ability to manually save.  The option was still visible in the pause menu, just nothing happened when I tried to select it.  So weird.  In any event, I appreciate the responses, hopefully holding the power button for a longer period of time will help!

No problem! I hope it works out for you. Hopefully as more firmware updates come out that helps too. Even on the PS4 I know occasionally the controller would all of a sudden stop working and I would have to do a long power off

One game crash so far. While playing Astro. On my ps4 pro... had crashes more frequently tbh. Only using rest mode. No other issues. 

26 minutes ago, opengeo said:

One game crash so far. While playing Astro. On my ps4 pro... had crashes more frequently tbh. Only using rest mode. No other issues. 

Still no signs of anything wrong here lol

17 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Still no signs of anything wrong here lol

Mine has been in a box for about 7 full days now. Currently 90ish mins maybe west of Cleveland. Will be at full time hotel tomorrow. Maybe I go to Best Buy tomorrow evening to "rent” a better TV 

got lucky last weekend with pulse 3D headset in Binghamton via target, so when I left Syracuse I just did a slight reroute to go through Binghamton to pick it up. So I won’t have to worry about trash tv speakers. 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

Mine has been in a box for about 7 full days now. Currently 90ish mins maybe west of Cleveland. Will be at full time hotel tomorrow. Maybe I go to Best Buy tomorrow evening to "rent” a better TV 

got lucky last weekend with pulse 3D headset in Binghamton via target, so when I left Syracuse I just did a slight reroute to go through Binghamton to pick it up. So I won’t have to worry about trash tv speakers. 

Lol you put no stop in making sure you play with the best of the best. 

So I just learned that the ps5 has 2 different fans. So depending on which fan you get will determine if you have one that gets real hot and makes a lot of noise or one that is super quiet and cools a lot better. 

remember when i asked if buying a new console at launch is a risk because there are always issues & bugs to be worked out...and some of you said not this time...it's like a computer?

i remember. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

remember when i asked if buying a new console at launch is a risk because there are always issues & bugs to be worked out...and some of you said not this time...it's like a computer?

i remember. 

I never said that lol. I was prepared for it to brick on day one lol. I never got a system at launch so it was more of the excitement. Luckily so far I have no issues

I still have my launch PS4 and haven't experienced any issues so far with the 5.  Only one I had an issue with was my PS3, which was under warranty still so I got a new one for free.

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

So I just learned that the ps5 has 2 different fans. So depending on which fan you get will determine if you have one that gets real hot and makes a lot of noise or one that is super quiet and cools a lot better. 

In most cases, with all else being the same (e.g. heatsink design, packaging, etc) the louder fan is likely to cool better. The noise is generated by two things typically, the motor hum and the air movement. I'd be curious to see any tests that show the louder one being significantly outmatched in cooling performance than the quieter one.

58 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

In most cases, with all else being the same (e.g. heatsink design, packaging, etc) the louder fan is likely to cool better. The noise is generated by two things typically, the motor hum and the air movement. I'd be curious to see any tests that show the louder one being significantly outmatched in cooling performance than the quieter one.

Well 1 fan has 16 fins on it while the other has 23 fins. The one with 23 fins is supposed to be the quieter one and cools better. I'd imagine the one with 16 doesnts cool as well has to spin faster making more noise. 

Now I just read an article stating that neither fan cools the system any better. However the one with more blades is quieter.

Even on standby, fan B was emitting a slightly louder squeaking sound that was louder than fan A (during tests using sound measuring equipment). Out of the five consoles which they own, two of them have the quieter fan while the other three are equipped with the louder fan B. In addition, fan A, which is the quieter model seems to include 24 blades compared to the 17 on fan B.

23 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well 1 fan has 16 fins on it while the other has 23 fins. The one with 23 fins is supposed to be the quieter one and cools better. I'd imagine the one with 16 doesnts cool as well has to spin faster making more noise. 

If it's not as efficient of a blade design, makes sense that it would have to spin faster (higher motor hum) to cool it to an equivalent amount. This is why 120mm case fans are quieter and more efficient than 80mm fans, but I'd be surprised at much of a cooling difference here if they're the same size. 

1 minute ago, we_gotta_believe said:

If it's not as efficient of a blade design, makes sense that it would have to spin faster (higher motor hum) to cool it to an equivalent amount. This is why 120mm case fans are quieter and more efficient than 80mm fans, but I'd be surprised at much of a cooling difference here if they're the same size. 

Well another site I was on says there is no cooking difference. Who knows, still strange they made 2 different fans. I'd like to know the purpose of it

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well another site I was on says there is no cooking difference. Who knows, still strange they made 2 different fans. I'd like to know the purpose of it

They probably just sourced the component from two different suppliers. Doubt they actually fabbed the fans themselves.

8 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

They probably just sourced the component from two different suppliers. Doubt they actually fabbed the fans themselves.

That makes sense. 

I did start last if us 2 anyways lol. I don't know a much of an improvement the ps5 makes on it but, the game looks absolutely amazing. I'm wondering if ray tracing is happening because the lighting in certain areas of the game look so freaking realistic. They said lou was going to be compatible with the haptic feedback and I'm not getting any of that. 

23 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That makes sense. 

I did start last if us 2 anyways lol. I don't know a much of an improvement the ps5 makes on it but, the game looks absolutely amazing. I'm wondering if ray tracing is happening because the lighting in certain areas of the game look so freaking realistic. They said lou was going to be compatible with the haptic feedback and I'm not getting any of that. 

I don't think any of this is a spoiler, but whatever you do, make sure you explore the vacant buildings in Seattle. You'll trigger an awesome cutscene that apparently a lot of people missed out on. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I don't think any of this is a spoiler, but whatever you do, make sure you explore the vacant buildings in Seattle. You'll trigger an awesome cutscene that apparently a lot of people missed out on. 

I'm actually in Seattle right now and have been in 3 buildings so far

22 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm actually in Seattle right now and have been in 3 buildings so far

theres something like 16 areas to unlock. You get a trophy for exploring every area (which the final 3 should be tied into the storyline quest progression). I forget the exact count, but if no trophy, you didn't explore hard enough!

14 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

theres something like 16 areas to unlock. You get a trophy for exploring every area (which the final 3 should be tied into the storyline quest progression). I forget the exact count, but if no trophy, you didn't explore hard enough!

Lol I'm in the bank now

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lol I'm in the bank now

looks like 11 locations on trophy description 

11 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

looks like 11 locations on trophy description 

Stupid trophy's

• Like 1