EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

I noticed the new Blog title doesn't say anything about no politics. 

Have at it, boys!

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Two things I'm looking forward to seeing:

1) how the offense looks this season, people can harp about Hurts' limitations, but what matters is how he works within the framework of THIS offense, he's not sitting in a pocket throwing 60 yard passes to Hill, he's going to run a ball control system built around the RPO, inside zone blocks, screen passes, a WR who can gain YAC on slants, and so on. So what matters is how he runs THIS scheme, can he make the quick reads, accurately hit his targets, take a few deep shots a game to keep safeties honest, and so forth. I cut my teeth on the Reid WCO, and saw Garcia run it better than McNabb. With the talent on this team, Hurts skill set could make this an elite offense IF he can consistently make the routine pass - because he'll have RBs and TEs open and targets like Pascal underneath. He won't have to throw 40 yard outs across his body, he will have to consistently hit his targets in stride. His running is a huge asset, but it should complement, not replace, the passing game.

2) how the defense looks with Gannon's multiple looks. I don't see a lot of blitzing as much as misdirection, which LB drops and which comes, confusing blocking assignments by shifting pre-snap, and so forth. The ability to show multiple fronts and adjust to opponents and even within games should give them an edge.

Prediction:  11-6, win at least one playoff game.

@LeanMeanGM

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

And there it is.  A historic whiff for the blog. Also your 2022 Nasty Nate award winner. 

We're you checking off the days on your calendar in crayon waiting for this day?

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Bad move on the Vikings part cause cook misses games every year. 

2 hours ago, justrelax said:

Various nonsensical predictions. The turds win no more than seven games. Eagles win eleven. Both Brown and Smith go over 1000 yards. By week ten the Eagles will have the league’s best defense.

On a non-predictive note, I can’t make up my mind who the TEs are after Goedert. Stoll is the best blocker of the three by a fair amount, Calcaterra is the best receiver, and Togiai is the best combination of the two skills. They all appear to have good instincts.

On a topic  I’m importing from the OTA blog, I would add a benefit from the joint practices: the opportunity to see other systems in a controlled environment, in this case play-action passes. Since we do it so little, our defense has recognition issues. Our defense was slow to react.!Cleveland exposed them. I was glad of that. Of particular note was how slow Dean was to react. Good to have specific issues to address.

I like all your nonsensicals

Tommy Lawlor expressed my thoughts on the TEs quite well.  He said ...

I kept Calcaterra over Togiai because of potential. Togiai is the better player right now, basically due to blocking and STs. Calcaterra is a gifted receiver and the Eagles need a backup TE with that kind of ability.

I would add to your final paragraph that both the Browns and Dolphins exposed the Eagles deficiencies in maintaining the edge.  Far too many plays had open field on our wings.  That was both an EDGE and LB issue.

Guest justrelax
27 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

When the Eagles make their OL cuts...if you are another team...do you say that our OL is stacked, the released player was coached up by the best in the business, and put in a claim?

Or do you say...the starters here are stacked, the bubble depth is less spectacular, and a player that Stoutland let go probably isn't going to work out anywhere.

I think you grab them, so your first option. Especially as cuts. I can think of three ex-Eagle OK who are starters - Pryor, Vaitai, and Villeneuve. Probably a number of backups. The Lions overpaid Vaitai as a tackle but he’s a solid guard. Villeneuve is a good tackle. I wouldn’t have thought Pryor could handle tackle but apparently Reich thinks so. I seem to recall that Buffalo has one but my memory is problematic.

@Bacarty2

I'll make it easy for you. Cut 10 players. Most are fairly easy but hard to get them all correct. And I left a guy like Tartt on as an option because he might be cut - only to bring him back - so his salary isn't fully guaranteed.

QB – 3 – Hurts, Minshew, Sinnett
RB – 3 – Sanders, Gainwell, Scott
WR – 8 – Brown, Smith, Watkins, Pascal, Reagor, Allen, Covey, Cain
TE – 5 – Goedert, Stoll, Calcaterra, Togiai, Rodgers
OL – 12 – Mailata, Dickerson, Kelce, Seumalo, Johnson, Dillard, Jurgens, Opeta, Driscoll, Anderson, Awosika, Clark

DE – 4 – Sweat, Graham, Barnett, Jackson
DT – 5 – Cox, Hargrave, Davis, Williams, Tuipulotu
SAM – 3 – Reddick, P Johnson, K Johnson
LB – 5 – White, Edwards, Dean, Taylor, Bradley
SAF – 7 – Epps, Harris, Wallace, Chachere, Blankenship, Scott, Tartt
CB – 5 – Slay, Bradberry, Maddox, Jobe, McPhearson

ST – 3 – Lovato, Elliott, Siposs

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lol. He’s competing with Marlon Mack… a former Colt. Genius move. 

I picked up Pierce in every league

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'd say you need some kind of actual meaningless performance that gets the writers/fan base talking, at the least. Not literally do nothing, ever. 

I would think if he does not make the roster, Deon Cain is the Nasty Nate winner.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Have at it, boys!

Fixed. 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Bad move on the Vikings part cause cook misses games every year. 

Yea I'm pretty surprised about this one. I can't really see them getting anything higher then a 5th rd pick

2 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I think you grab them, so your first option. Especially as cuts. I can think of three ex-Eagle OK who are starters - Pryor, Vaitai, and Villeneuve. Probably a number of backups. The Lions overpaid Vaitai as a tackle but he’s a solid guard. Villeneuve is a good tackle. I wouldn’t have thought Pryor could handle tackle but apparently Reich thinks so. I seem to recall that Buffalo has one but my memory is problematic.

It's obviously a case-by-case basis, but it's the Belichick/Patriots conundrum.  In peak Patriots era, many teams lined up for their cuts, but usually someone cut loose by Belichick wasn't going to go far.  

11 minutes ago, toolg said:

I came across this tidbit...

Stick a feather in Howie's cap! Love him or hate him, pissing off agents is a top achievement in his job.

He seems like such a weasel 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I would think if he does not make the roster, Deon Cain is the Nasty Nate winner.

All TC I was leaning toward Covey. Allen made a strong push too. I'll have to think about this because Cain also made a strong push.

5 minutes ago, mattwill said:

I would add to your final paragraph that both the Browns and Dolphins exposed the Eagles deficiencies in maintaining the edge.  Far too many plays had open field on our wings.  That was both an EDGE and LB issue.

And that is not a who was playing issue, it is a scheme issue.  It is also due to the fact the practice against a gimmicky college offense every day, and play action is going to give this defense fits all year.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I'm a fan of what he has done during preseason and TC

Predicting my 53:

QB(2) Hurts, Minshew

RB(3) Sanders, Gainwell, Scott

WR(6) Brown, Smith, Watkins, Pascal, Reagor, Allen

TE(3) Goedert, Stoll, Calcaterra

OL(9) Mailata, Dickerson, Kelce, Seumalo, Johnson, Dillard, Juergens, Opeta, Driscoll

EDGE(7) Graham, Sweat, Reddick, Barnett, K Johnson, P Johnson, Jackson

DT(5) Cox, Hargrave, Davis, Williams, Tuipulotu

LB (5) Edwards, White, Dean, Taylor, Bradley

CB(5) Slay, Bradberry, Maddox, McPhearson, Jobe 

S(5) Epps, Harris, Scott, Blankenship, Chachere

ST(3) Elliott, Siposs, Lovato

Two guys I really think earned themselves roster spots during the preseason are Allen and Blankenship. If they can get anyone to trade a bag of jockstraps for Reagor, I think he's gone. That leads to either Cain, Covey, Ward, or another team's cut making the roster at wideout. Safety is still a cause for concern. I kept Scott because he also can backup at the slot. But I think both are lines are stout, our offensive weapons are very good, and I love the Slay/Bradberry tandem. This season, as we all knew already, rests on the right arm and legs of Jalen Hurts. 

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Big V started at LT for a super bowl winning team and signed as an undrafted FA. Is he currently starting? I thought the Lions replaced him with Sewell. Villanueva was here as a D-Lineman.

Just now, downundermike said:

Did you see our boy Lynn Bowden balling the other night ??

Hard to miss. :lol:

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  Strong was the opposite of Nasty Nate.  His stock was never higher than it was before camp opened.  

Depends on the formal definition of Nasty Nate.

There are players with unfounded hype from the FO and their apologists during camp.

There are players with unfounded hype from fans, be it via udfa/camp/draft or otherwise.

Or it's just the unfounded hype award.

For option 2&3, he's got it (and I'm guilty in there).  For option 1, he's not eligible, as you said.

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Have at it, boys!

I’ll chime in. I’m so sick of hearing about the student debt debate. Ppl are just going to pick whatever side their political affiliation aligns with because most of you are taint licking sheep. 

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Depends on the formal definition of Nasty Nate.

There are players with unfounded hype from the FO and their apologists during camp.

There are players with unfounded hype from fans, be it via udfa/camp/draft or otherwise.

Or it's just the unfounded hype award.

For option 2&3, he's got it (and I'm guilty in there).  For option 1, he's not eligible, as you said.

Also need to include performance in a pre season game that gets hyped.  I mean, that handoff on the Huntley TD that froze the LB'ers who feared his legs was epic, but not enough to even get into consideration for the Nasty Nate award.

Right now the candidates are Deon Cain, Devon Allen and Britian Covey.  I would also put Josh Jobe and Reed Blankenship into the field if for some reason they do not make the roster, but they both should.

9 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Yea I'm pretty surprised about this one. I can't really see them getting anything higher then a 5th rd pick

I get Mattison is a FA at year’s end but i rather just keep him for one year then take a 4-5th rounder. 

Archived