Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

1 minute ago, vsptroops said:

Phillies have no one to blame but themselves. They must have left 15 guys on base. Should never have gone to extra innings. 

The Mets were like 0-13 with RISP before Alonso’s single 

I swear neris is always trash against the Mets 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The Mets were like 0-13 with RISP before Alonso’s single 

Damn, didn't realize they were crap too. Anyways, its a moot point now. Nerris blows the save which shouldn't come as a shock to anyone with half a brain. I've been questioning some of Girardi's moves this season and annointing Nerris the closer was one of them. 

Road woes continue from the last several years. 1-3 so far on the road and probably should be 0-4.

1 minute ago, vsptroops said:

Damn, didn't realize they were crap too. Anyways, its a moot point now. Nerris blows the save which shouldn't come as a shock to anyone with half a brain. I've been questioning some of Girardi's moves this season and annointing Nerris the closer was one of them. 

To be fair to neris before his implosion today he had pitched 5 innings and allowed zero runs and a hit. I don’t know what neris’ numbers are but I’d bet his numbers vs. the Mets are ridiculously bad 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

To be fair to neris before his implosion today he had pitched 5 innings and allowed zero runs and a hit. I don’t know what neris’ numbers are but I’d bet his numbers vs. the Mets are ridiculously bad 

Yeah I know but it seems every game he pitches he is walking a tight rope. If his splitter isn't working, he is screwed. I prefer a guy that throws heat than a guy with a splitter as a closer. I'd like to see Brogdon eventually get that spot and have Nerris as a setup guy. 

48 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The dumb 2nd base in extra innings rule really working out there. So both teams scored. It’s absolutely stupid 

It's like they adopted a HS softball rule doing that.  Maybe they could do like the NHL and have their version of a shootout in a HR Derby format.  Each team picks 3 players to take 10 pitches each and whoever hits the most HRs wins the game by 1 run.  I'm not really serious, just making a point how the runner on 2nd to start extra innings is kinda lame. 

• Like 2

23 pitch first for nola. Might not make it past 5. At least it’s only a 7 inning game 

Looks like a tie on that replay. 

WTF is Haseley doing in center? That’s a catchable ball except he plays it like an idiot. 

Aaron nola morphing into velasquez. Can’t go more than 4-5 innings and getting hit second time through the lineup 

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Why does it matter when your offense can’t score runs?  Pitchers can’t go out and dominate every game.   Team ERA is #12 in MLB.  Team RBI is #26.   

Oh the offense sucks too. It’s been bad for the majority of the 11 games they’ve played so far this season and particularly with Risp

However that doesn’t take away from the fact your supposed best pitcher in his last two starts has gone 4 and 5 innings. Your team ERA is eventually going to balloon up once the bullpen gets taxed because our 5th starter in chase Anderson is averaging the same 4.2 innings in his last two starts as nola. I’d also point out since that opening Braves series (last 8 games) our starters have averaged 4.2 innings per start. Eventually that’s going to catch up to you and burn out your bullpen 

Zolecki just confirmed what we have all been seeing with the offense. Their strikeout rate last year was 21%. This year? 28%. That's a huge jump. Hell, Bohm had an opportunity to just put the ball in play in the first game yesterday and he took 3 straight strikes- didn't even swing the damn bat.  In regards to Nola, his kryptonite is that he can't blow a fastball by a batter to put them away like a Degrom, Scherzer, or Strasburg. He seems to get into a lot of favorable counts but when he is up 0-2 or 1-2 on a batter, the batter just keeps fouling off pitches and pitches which drives up his pitch count. Nola on a championship team would be a very good #3 in the rotation (if I recall correctly, that was what the scouts were also saying prior to that years draft) but he is the "ace" on this team because of the dearth of pitching talent. 

3 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Zolecki just confirmed what we have all been seeing with the offense. Their strikeout rate last year was 21%. This year? 28%. That's a huge jump. Hell, Bohm had an opportunity to just put the ball in play in the first game yesterday and he took 3 straight strikes- didn't even swing the damn bat.  In regards to Nola, his kryptonite is that he can't blow a fastball by a batter to put them away like a Degrom, Scherzer, or Strasburg. He seems to get into a lot of favorable counts but when he is up 0-2 or 1-2 on a batter, the batter just keeps fouling off pitches and pitches which drives up his pitch count. Nola on a championship team would be a very good #3 in the rotation (if I recall correctly, that was what the scouts were also saying prior to that years draft) but he is the "ace" on this team because of the dearth of pitching talent. 

sounds like they need a top talented pitcher, hamels was that, nola isnt.

17 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

I was going to say he was in a ton of pitcher’s counts yesterday but just wasted a lot of pitches. he didn’t even have the foul ball issue yesterday as much. He just kept throwing pitches outside of the zone to try to get the Mets to chase and they didn’t. It got them back into better counts and ultimate then began hitting him. But zolecki is right he isn’t putting guys away when he’s ahead and it’s why you have seen the last two starts his pitch count is high through 4 innings. i think scouts had him as a no. 2 starter ceiling and a floor of back end of the rotation guy. Wheeler unfortunately isn’t an ace either. They lack one. 

the offense guys trying to do too much. It also doesn’t help Quinn and haseley blow. It’s essentially like having 2 easy outs at the end of the lineup with them then the pitcher spot. I’d also add mccutchen has been pretty lousy for most of the year so when turning the lineup over it’s basically 3 easy outs as he’s hitting .156 

2 hours ago, devpool said:

Moniak vs. haseley 

image.gif.5e617bdffb9f79ff3dd40f5a9916189c.gif

Not that I really think he's going to amount to anything, but I think it would be wrong to bring up Moniak with the idea of him being a bench player. For better or worse (and I'm leaning toward worse), he's got to be in the lineup.

55 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Not that I really think he's going to amount to anything, but I think it would be wrong to bring up Moniak with the idea of him being a bench player. For better or worse (and I'm leaning toward worse), he's got to be in the lineup.

Looks like Quinn is starting. 

1 hour ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Looks like Quinn is starting. 

Yea I didn't expect him to start today, maybe tomorrow?

Quinn’s speed walking back to the dugout after getting out is unmatched. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2