EMB Blog: 2022 Post-Season - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

Well we found a way of quieting plays to Kelce and neutralizing the screen after the first quarter and a half. I just think the KC OL deserves a lot of credit. They won this game.

• Replies 37.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

They had obviously scouted how we switch in man. Thats good coaching

I read a stat that says over the past two years the Chiefs ran in-breaking routes 97 percent of the time from that alignment with motion, and100 percent of the time in 2022. 

They caught us in auto pilot. 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Hard to say. It looks bad for Maddox, but if it was a switch coverage defense as many has thought then he takes the inside release. Looks to me like Slay was at fault for the first one if it was switch coverage. I don’t recall the second one.

Either way, we weren’t prepared at all for the Chiefs on that play. They knew we liked to run switch coverage there and they ran the perfect play to confuse us because of their tendency breaker vs our tendency.  

A repetitive theme over and over and over again that night, and Im left wondering what it is, exactly, that gives Gannon a reputation as a good DC or makes him such an attractive HC candidate.

And Im dead serious, someone please explain to me how this guy is good at his job?  

47 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Our RZ defense has been dog ish since Gannon has been here.  Again, I ask, what does this guy do well?

He doesnt adjust, he's locked into his scheme (which to me is the complete antithesis of what it means to be a coach), and his defenses are historically bad when he doesnt have multiple pro bowlers

4 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Look guys, we are all disappointed and are searching for excuses. Bad field (it was), bad officiating, etc. 

Name one thing that the Eagles did better than did the Chiefs:

Coaching - hell no

Offense - I would say no, but others could argue for a tie.

Defense - no, the Chiefs created a turnover and scored 6 points.

Special Teams -  hell no, even though Elliott was good and Covey had a good return.

Drafting - no, the Chiefs' rookies contributed, the Eagles' rookies not so much.

Equipment Management - no, the Chiefs were better prepared for the field.

The thing that made a difference in that game was coaching. If coaching was equal we run away with the game even with the **** field affecting our defensive style of play more than theirs. That's all I really have to say about it.

1 minute ago, Mike31mt said:

Our RZ defense has been dog ish since Gannon has been here.  Again, I ask, what does this guy do well?

He doesnt adjust, he's locked into his scheme (which to me is the complete antithesis of what it means to be a coach), and his defenses are historically bad when he doesnt have multiple pro bowlers

We were 17th in red zone defense this year. I get people are frustrated, but we can at least use some facts instead of emotion. 

Well, whether we have to replace Steichen with an outsider, or we replace Brian Johnson after he gets promoted, I hope Sirianni has better connections than Doug did. 

24 minutes ago, greend said:

I would prefer an investigation as to why you call that ticky tac hold at that point of a game.

It was supposed to be a Super Bowl officiating crew, but I think most people realize they're just a bunch of guys.  

We drew one of the league's best referees for the NFCCG; for the Super Bowl we drew a middle of the road guy.  No one can tell me Cheffers is recognized as the NFL's best referee.  

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

We were 17th in red zone defense this year. I get people are frustrated, but we can at least use some facts instead of emotion. 

Look dont just throw stats at me, our defense overwhelmed the little sisters of the poor but has always struggled in the RZ with offenses that have their ish together.

I guess I could go fight fire with fire but Im assuming Ill see a bunch of 0-fors against the likes of Washington and NYG and Indy, but things dont look so pretty against legit offenses.

Lets face facts here, Gannon had a top 3 personnel group this year and we played virtually no great QBs.

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

That is below average and not nearly good enough for a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Pretty sure it was a signed deal about a week ago, but it's good it's made official so the Eagles can make their move official.  I'd be surprised if they need to do an external search for their next OC -- I suspect Brian Johnson is the guy but we'll see.

I loved the Sirianni hire and the fact the coaching staff were a group of young, hungry coaches.  The issue with that, though, is you need a pipeline to restock because the league will poach them once you become successful.

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Well, whether we have to replace Steichen with an outsider, or we replace Brian Johnson after he gets promoted, I hope Sirianni has better connections than Doug did. 

Brian Johnson is the way to go.  It's not at all a hard decision.  Makes a lot of sense on multiple fronts. 

Now that Steichen is officially off the board, it’ll be interesting to see how the offense changes. This is supposedly Sirianni’s offense with Stoutland featured prominently. How much of the playcalling on game day was Steichen? Did Sirianni get in his ear to dial up certain plays at certain times? There’s a lot that goes into playcalling leading up to Sunday. What role did Steichen have? Did he parse everyone’s info (third down, red zone, run game, pass game, 2 minute) and bring it to Sirianni? Did Sirianni co-pilot that with Steichen? There’s so much going on behind the scenes that this loss is difficult to quantify. 

3 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

That is below average and not nearly good enough for a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

Kansas City was 28th. 

1 hour ago, ToastJenkins said:

Pretty good breakdown here:

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Strangely, I'm not that bothered about Steichen going; wish him well and all that.  More concerned about the coaching staff get raided

1 minute ago, UK Eagle said:

Strangely, I'm not that bothered about Steichen going; wish him well and all that.  More concerned about the coaching staff get raided

I’m in the same boat. Not only are we losing coaches really late in the process, but we have to replace them with either promotions or leftovers. That’s not great. 

It will be interesting to see if Johnson is the OC if they go to a more conventional passing offense.

Johnson coached Dak in college, but also Trask, he's not wedded to a running QB.

I think if they're committing to Hurts long-term, they have to get away from RPO concepts and develop him further as a pocket QB, and let him use his legs to buy time and exploit man defenses that leave open space to scramble - but teams have adjusted to the RPO and spy on him - which leads to bad hits and bad plays.

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Kansas City was 28th. 

I would argue that because the way the teams are constructed, good defense is more critical for the Eagles to be successful than it it is for the Chiefs.

Archived