EMB Blog: 2022 Post-Season - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

18 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

I'm also depressed.

And it is surreal.

Eagles fans deserve better.

That field was not right.

It will be swept under the rug and nothing will change that we don't have a Super Bowl. I never saw field position being something that would cause them to lose in the two weeks leading up to it. Gannon is to blame, but they depend on the line getting to them and they were neutralized from go.

How can a DE make cuts, bend, etc when they have no traction? How can the defense make plays if they rely on the DL and the DL can't make plays because the field neutralized them? We can talk about what Gannon should have done, but at the end of the day the NFL slowed them down and took away one of their biggest strengths.

Both teams had to play on the same field, but both teams don't rely on fast DE making plays to make their defense work.

• Replies 37.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Not a lot of reasons we lost on offense.  But we still need to move forward and get better regardless. 

1.  Hurts needs to be more consistent with his deep passes.  

2.  AJ Brown and Devonta Smith do an incredible job of just coming down with the ball, but it would be nice to enhance our deep passing game with a burner deep threat.  Watkins once looked to be that guy, but he just cannot connect and cannot contribute in any other way.  Our deep passing game cannot consist of just hoping for a big catch in traffic from covered WRs.  Need someone that can win a foot race.

3.  I don't think we need a dominant RB 1.  That's what our OL is for.  What we could use, IMO...is the opposite of the big back everyone is clamoring for.  I'd like a back that creates problems in space, matchup problems, disappears behind the OL and dominates on screen plays, and can motion out wide and still command respect in coverage.  That opens up the middle of the field for Hurts to run 10-15 yards a pop.

4. We need the OL to stay healthy.  It was a miracle it worked out this year.  Might not happen again.

A BWest that stays healthy, sure

32 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

It will be swept under the rug and nothing will change that we don't have a Super Bowl. I never saw field position being something that would cause them to lose in the two weeks leading up to it. Gannon is to blame, but they depend on the line getting to them and they were neutralized from go.

How can a DE make cuts, bend, etc when they have no traction? How can the defense make plays if they rely on the DL and the DL can't make plays because the field neutralized them? We can talk about what Gannon should have done, but at the end of the day the NFL slowed them down and took away one of their biggest strengths.

Both teams had to play on the same field, but both teams don't rely on fast DE making plays to make their defense work.

There needs to be an investigation.

This was a problem that even the plebs could diagnose.

I want answers!

13 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

They have to be looking Oline heavily with that first pick.  They could easily lose Seomalu, Kelce, and Dillard.  Backup OG may go to jail.  And who knows how much longer Lane goes.  Seems like a hole is right there and they prioritize the positions. 

They’ll know about Kelce and Seumalo before the draft, Dillard’s gone. Again if Kelce stays and Isaac leaves it looks like our 2022 2nd rounder Jurgen’s should be able to fill the void. Why not ?

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

In regards to "Eagles trying to convince Gannon to stay” I hope Gannon is smart enough to realize he’s probably losing half his players and will likely not have this dominant of defense to hang his hat on next year. This very well could be his only chance at a HC job. 

It's ok, Howie will extend Edwards and Epps for JG. 

8 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I didn’t pay enough attention during the Reid era. Did we ever do something similar pre-snap? 

The NFL calls it a foul if a Receiver is wrongly aligned or doesn't get set after motioning because it's not fair to the defense but standing staring at the sideline pretending you're not ready to run a play is absolutely fine.

10 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

so the eagles have faced mahomes twice in his career (2021 and SB) , mahomes for his career the highest EPA per dropback is vs. eagles. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952m1j6l8hwowjcphhfr8r

5 hours ago, schuy7 said:

Gannon was lost on those goal line calls obviously, but it was really compounded when we went 3 & out and then allowed the punt return after the first and before the second. It didn't give Gannon anytime to think and come up with a better call. And he obviously needed it.

His calls weren't the problem.  Maddox was. 

3 hours ago, The guy in France said:

They’ll know about Kelce and Seumalo before the draft, Dillard’s gone. Again if Kelce stays and Isaac leaves it looks like our 2022 2nd rounder Jurgen’s should be able to fill the void. Why not ?

In my book, that's fine. However, if we look at history, the team seems to always invest in OLine and I can easily see Howie saying that "We lost our swing tackle, a backup guard may go to jail, Kelce is getting very close to retiring, and we'd like to get some mentorship for Lane's replacement (like Jurgens/Kelce)."  I'm not saying that's what they should do.  I'm saying its not far fetched to see it happen, since they have historically built their OLine and OLine depth through the draft.  

Angelo making an interesting point that Doug might have tipped Andy off to that motion play that our defense left completely uncovered for two touchdowns when he ran the same play to the same success against the Eagles earlier in the season. 

Love seeing all the little tidbits roll in that illustrate just how embarrassing our defense was.  Its going to be a loooong offseason and a looooonger season.

6 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Love seeing all the little tidbits roll in that illustrate just how embarrassing our defense was.  Its going to be a loooong offseason and a looooonger season.

If Gannon moves on and we invest heavily on the defense, I’ll feel much better about our future prospects. 

With regards to the draft, I’d like to see the Eagles trade back from 10 to the late teens or early twenties, and net an extra second and third round pick. That will leave them with 6 picks in the in the top 90 or so, which should be plenty to restock the cupboard on defense, OL and RB.

That call doesn't get called and Jalen is taking us down for a game winning TD.  No doubt about it.  Would have been an all time finish but not the finish the league and Vegas wanted.Fing BS. 

I think ultimately our offense is built and ready to go for next year and should be one of the top in the NFL.  The defense definitely has a lot to do and between the lack of cap and Gannon, not sure how to get that fixed.  I think you HAVE to bring back Gardner Johnson.  But I almost feel like with the extending of Hurts and the dead cap the next two years are going to be about drafting young talent (hopefully well) and jettisoning the dead cap numbers.  Hopefully, Howie can work some magic but if it were me, I'd be loading up on defensive players in the draft, let Bradberry, Cox, Hargrave and anyone else sign big contracts elsewhere, get the comp picks and just reload while letting the dead cap fall off.  Right now they are still a playoff team, maybe not a Championship one.

45 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

His calls weren't the problem.  Maddox was. 

Hard to say. It looks bad for Maddox, but if it was a switch coverage defense as many has thought then he takes the inside release. Looks to me like Slay was at fault for the first one if it was switch coverage. I don’t recall the second one.

Either way, we weren’t prepared at all for the Chiefs on that play. They knew we liked to run switch coverage there and they ran the perfect play to confuse us because of their tendency breaker vs our tendency.  

9 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I think this was touched on yesterday. 

If it takes that much time to process whether that was a penalty or not you should probably not throw the flag. It's pretty pathetic.

17 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hard to say. It looks bad for Maddox, but if it was a switch coverage defense as many has thought then he takes the inside release. Looks to me like Slay was at fault for the first one if it was switch coverage. I don’t recall the second one.

Either way, we weren’t prepared at all for the Chiefs on that play. They knew we liked to run switch coverage there and they ran the perfect play to confuse us because of their tendency breaker vs our tendency.  

They had obviously scouted how we switch in man. Thats good coaching

17 hours ago, schuy7 said:

He over-relies on the pass rush and has all year. He should have blitzed more, especially late in the game. You have to make better adjustments. 

Plus, his defense just looked completely disorganized and unprepared.

Blitzing more leaves guys open for the quick pass and we were already struggling with that. As far as "over relying" on the pass rush? That's the strength of this defense.

17 hours ago, bitbased said:

We didn't have a backup plan because we just let the front 4 destroy everyone generally. We're not good at blitzing due to a combination of personnel and he's just not a very creative DC. Didn't even attempt to really throw in DB blitzes or anything to try and change it up.

I do remember at  least 1 blitz near the end zone that cost us dearly. They were getting the ball out short quickly. The blitz would have made that worse. 

6 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

There needs to be an investigation.

This was a problem that even the plebs could diagnose.

I want answers!

I would prefer an investigation as to why you call that ticky tac hold at that point of a game.

This stuff on Gannon is entertaining.  Could he have been better?  Yup.  But Hurts randomly fumbled while running, costing us 7 points and giving the Chiefs a sniff.  Seumalo false started. Watkins dropped another ball at a critical time. 4th draft pick tradee Bob Quinn may as well have been been on the ISS for all the use he gave us. Etc.  Laying it at the door of Gannon is a bit unfair; but he needs to adapt what he does without queston

9 hours ago, jamiller said:

Some feel better TV. 

This Welcome to Wrexham show is good.  Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds buy the soccer team.  Anyway, I like it. Maybe you will too.

Please don't spoil it as I am only 1 episode in.

My team had a number of years in the same league as Wrectum (we used to call them that as it annoyed them) are still in and the documentary shows not much changed since we left years ago. The Eagles make a decent appearance over the series, but some of it is a bit cringe and good luck with those taff accents.  I've seen one their big signings play in person a number of times and I bet Jordan Davis is more athletic than he is.  But it is a good watch.

Look guys, we are all disappointed and are searching for excuses. Bad field (it was), bad officiating, etc. 

Name one thing that the Eagles did better than did the Chiefs:

Coaching - hell no

Offense - I would say no, but others could argue for a tie.

Defense - no, the Chiefs created a turnover and scored 6 points.

Special Teams -  hell no, even though Elliott was good and Covey had a good return.

Drafting - no, the Chiefs' rookies contributed, the Eagles' rookies not so much.

Equipment Management - no, the Chiefs were better prepared for the field.

15 minutes ago, greend said:

I do remember at  least 1 blitz near the end zone that cost us dearly. They were getting the ball out short quickly. The blitz would have made that worse. 

Yeah, that was the TD pass to the left side after we got toasted on the same play to the opposite side. That blitz call was awful.

Archived