EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

NJ being the site doesn't bother me.  

same. Id prefer it to a center city arena.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Harris seems far more interested in the social and financial aspects of being an owner.  For any faults Jeff has, he has always wanted to win.  Even if he foolishly referred to the Eagles as the "gold standard" while the team struggled to even get to a Super Bowl.

100%. The fact that at the deadline a lot of beat writers who cover the team on their podcasts said the Sixers aren’t gonna make a big move. Point was the sixers were going to get under the luxury tax due to Joshua Harris wanting an extra $16 million in his pocket next year for being under the luxury tax after the trade deadline. The fact that the Sixers were contenders and in embiid’s prime, and yet they made a minor move that actually freed them of luxury tax and make $16 mil tells me everything I need to know about ownership. 

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

NJ being the site doesn't bother me.  

I’m guessing the city of Philadelphia doesn’t feel the same way about that 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Gotta hand it to the Spurs. No one tanks better than them. 

I hear some saying this was rigged.   Same as last time when they drafted Tim Duncan.

6 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I just wish, even if the NBA said no more tanking, that the 6ers would have told Hinkie to stop, and start using the assets to build. 

I do believe he was just about at that point where he would have started that phase, but we never got to see him do it.

Depending on, if this is true, Sam Hinkie also got denied by ownership on some things. There were rumors he wanted Kristof Porziņģis, and not Jalil Okafor. However, ownership was like no we can’t afford to have a guy not come over next year after we just spent a year tanking. 

that said, I also trusted Sam Hinkie more to recover assets over time when he makes a mistake then what the Sixers had in place the 3-4 years after they fired him. So even if he got some things wrong when he started that next part of the process you had faith he could at least pull you out and get you assets to be back on track again. 

don’t get me wrong I think Daryl Morey F the Sixers over one last time with the James Harden trade as they should’ve looked at guys like Haliburton. But I also think the 76ers got Daryl Morey two years too late to really get them out of their hole because the damage that has been done by the previous regime that likely ended their realistic hopes for a title unless Ben Simmons got his head out of his ass. 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

100%. The fact that at the deadline a lot of beat writers who cover the team on their podcasts said the Sixers aren’t gonna make a big move. Point was the sixers were going to get under the luxury tax due to Joshua Harris wanting an extra $16 million in his pocket next year for being under the luxury tax after the trade deadline. The fact that the Sixers were contenders and in embiid’s prime, and yet they made a minor move that actually freed them of luxury tax and make $16 mil tells me everything I need to know about ownership. 

I think youre right. But in fairness, they didnt have assets to do anything big.

And the NBA stepped in to help LA and took away one of our best rumored moves in trading for Vanderbilt.

As well, I do believe aside from avoiding a repeater tax for the owners, there are positive actual cap implications that come from not being over the tax again, such as an MLE to be used. Im not sure if you can use the tax payers MLE 2 years in a row? Now they have a chance to get the non-tax-payers MLE. And avoided a hard cap for being over the apron.

23 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Only Thursday games (including Thanksgiving) I watch are Eagles games.  Now I do buy NFL+.  I bought it for the All22 but have found I watch other teams condensed games all week.  Much better deal than Sunday ticket.  But I suspect this season at some point an Eagles game will be on CBS and the local CBS station will opt for the Ravens game because that is the following they have developed.  But frankly, if that’s the case, I will just catch the Eagles game on NFL+ as soon as it is over on TV.  Same for that playoff game if it is only on Peacock that I don’t get.  I have Prime for free delivery mainly although I watch a few shows on it, occasionally grab a free Kindle book and do use the free Music on occasion.  I tried to watch a few Thursday night games last year but it was BAD.  

the Eagles and Ravens are only on at the same time 3 times.   Eagles have a ton of 4pm games,  the Ravens are mostly 1p.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Depending on, if this is true, Sam Hinkie also got denied by ownership on some things. There were rumors he wanted Kristof Porziņģis, and not Jalil Okafor. However, ownership was like no we can’t afford to have a guy not come over next year after we just spent a year tanking. 

that said, I also trusted Sam Hinkie more to recover assets over time when he makes a mistake then what the Sixers had in place the 3-4 years after they fired him. So even if he got some things wrong when he started that next part of the process you had faith he could at least pull you out and get you assets to be back on track again. 

don’t get me wrong I think Daryl Morey F the Sixers over one last time with the James Harden trade as they should’ve looked at guys like Haliburton. But I also think the 76ers got Daryl Morey two years too late to really get them out of their hole because the damage that has been done by the previous regime that likely ended their realistic hopes for a title unless Ben Simmons got his head out of his ass. 

yeah. maybe Morey with more of those assets left over could have done better. But I think regardless he is proved poor decision making throughout his tenure in Philly.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think youre right. But in fairness, they didnt have assets to do anything big.

And the NBA stepped in to help LA and took away one of our best rumored moves in trading for Vanderbilt.

As well, I do believe aside from avoiding a repeater tax for the owners, there are positive actual cap implications that come from not being over the tax again, such as an MLE to be used. Im not sure if you can use the tax payers MLE 2 years in a row? Now they have a chance to get the non-tax-payers MLE. And avoided a hard cap for being over the apron.

They definitely didn’t have assets. Some of that in the harden deal to get done. Some of that bad contracts by previous regimes giving contracts to horford which required a first to get out of it. 

with the new cba rules i think the sixers are likely screwed anyway if they pay harden cause they are trying to prevent what the warriors did every year. 

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

yeah. maybe Morey with more of those assets left over could have done better. But I think regardless he is proved poor decision making throughout his tenure in Philly.

If we were pinpointing an offseason where the sixers just completely destroyed themselves it’s that 2019 offseason. Literally every single move backfired. Let butler go, signed Harris to his contract, signed horford to his contract and gave Ben Simmons his rookie extension. the fact they had brown and Elton brand making these decisions was even worse. Cause brown was on the hot seat already and got fired after that upcoming season. And brand was lost his power to morey after just a year and he had no real NBA GM experience. 

I don’t disagree with you on Morey. However, I can at least understand his logic and the Sixers organization logic of if we get harden and is rockets James Harden when he’s healthy, then we can overcome a lot of the dope mistakes we made over the years. The sad part was they should have known that wasn’t realistically gonna happen based off what he looked like at the end of his nets tenure before he sat out 

Lottery drafts are stupid. Hopefully NFL never even considers it. 

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Honestly the spurs winning just shows the nba needs to STFU about tanking. If the Spurs did not win the lottery, there was no way they were getting a superstar to go to San Antonio as a free agent or wanting to go there via trade demand. It was never going to happen until they drafted another one. So last offseason the spurs realize the only could get that superstar that gets them out of purgatory was to tank this past year. It’s why they traded the guys away that they did. Now you have to have some luck to get that number one pick. However, it was worth trying for a generational player and because they were stuck in purgatory anyways. So what was the difference between them being really bad and just fringe playoff team? It actually benefitted them to be really bad to have a shot at better talent that usually goes top 5 

It’s why I believe when everything falls apart for the Sixers, they are better off just going into a complete tank. The process/tank job in theory was a smart idea, the execution of drafting, spending assets and cap space was done horribly  

6 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Morey is going to hire D'Antoni and give Harden a four year max deal, isn't he? 🤬

That would be the 3rd or 4th time Dantoni would be hired as a head coach.  Crazy this guy keeps getting opportunities like that.

46 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I’m guessing they do in some way simply for the $ involved in holding such an event. It’d probably be 100x the viewership of the NBA’s

36 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Morey is going to hire D'Antoni and give Harden a four year max deal, isn't he? 🤬

DK giving +800 odds for D’antoni is ridiculous. It’s really great odds to bet on cause I’d be surprised if it wasn’t him 

24 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

So the sixers literally have no draft picks this year?

Nope. First rounder wouldn’t be all that great of a pick anyway. I think 28th

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

I hear some saying this was rigged.   Same as last time when they drafted Tim Duncan.

Why in the world would the NBA ever rig the lottery for small media market San Antonio?  Especially with huge markets like Chicago, Dallas, and Houston in the mix. 

39 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

Why in the world would the NBA ever rig the lottery for small media market San Antonio?  Especially with huge markets like Chicago, Dallas, and Houston in the mix. 

I have a Minnesota friend who is 100% convinced all sports are rigged; it’s a coping mechanism for him so he doesn’t have to accept that the teams he roots for really are that bad.

Tons of Eagles fans in the 90’s thought the NFL was rigged. Far fewer seem to now, even in the age of social media… I wonder what changed? Cowboys fans it’s the opposite. Everything was normal in the 90’s, and now their forums are cluttered with "cheating” and "scripted” threads every time their team does something stupid 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Honestly the spurs winning just shows the nba needs to STFU about tanking. If the Spurs did not win the lottery, there was no way they were getting a superstar to go to San Antonio as a free agent or wanting to go there via trade demand. It was never going to happen until they drafted another one. So last offseason the spurs realize the only could get that superstar that gets them out of purgatory was to tank this past year. It’s why they traded the guys away that they did. Now you have to have some luck to get that number one pick. However, it was worth trying for a generational player and because they were stuck in purgatory anyways. So what was the difference between them being really bad and just fringe playoff team? It actually benefitted them to be really bad to have a shot at better talent that usually goes top 5 

It’s why I believe when everything falls apart for the Sixers, they are better off just going into a complete tank. The process/tank job in theory was a smart idea, the execution of drafting, spending assets and cap space was done horribly  

Of course they tanked for a generational talent like Wembanyama. Frankly I can’t wait to watch him play. I was a big Robinson fan, and then Duncan. This kid has a legit chance to surpass them both. 

5 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Of course they tanked for a generational talent like Wembanyama. Frankly I can’t wait to watch him play. I was a big Robinson fan, and then Duncan. This kid has a legit chance to surpass them both. 

I’ve said this before, but the theory of the process is smart. It gives small market and cities where FA stars aren’t going to choose to go a chance to get that star in order to build a championship team otherwise they are getting stuck in a purgatory. It’s why i was for the sixers doing it. Frankly when this era is all over they should do it again but have better FO stability and not have Joshua Harris as owner 

1 hour ago, Macho Grande said:

That's what I never understood.  

Holy snot

The Eagles are 79-47-1 with Lane Johnson

The Eagles are 13-22 without Lane Johnson

That’s a better split than many pro bowl quarterbacks

12 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Holy snot

The Eagles are 79-47-1 with Lane Johnson

The Eagles are 13-22 without Lane Johnson

That’s a better split than many pro bowl quarterbacks

He’s missed 19 games over the last 4 years. So quarter of the season per year. It’s why a lot of us were ok if the eagles took a OT early that was capable of also playing guard in case he got hurt.

frankly we were fortunate lane got hurt when he did. There is a chance if it was earlier in the year and he had to play like 10 games then playoffs that he might have not been able to Make it all the way through. 

Archived