EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Howie really is a unique monster.  Not a lot of GM's have had the opportunity to be encouraged to be creative, learn from it, refine, evolve, and continue to reinvent.  That is no small part of the reason why Howie is smarter, more creative, and gets stuff done in different ways than other GM's.  Other GM's have a 2-3 year window to demonstrate linear progression or they are fired.  Howie just got a canvas.  And he trashed that canvas more than once.  

Makes you wonder if Hinkie were banished, brought back, allowed to learn from his mistakes....if the 76ers might be in a different place.  

Howie also studied law at an SEC school and worked in the Eagles’ financial department for a decade. One could argue his football IQ isn’t why he’s lapping other GMs. Just look at how Jalen’s contract is structured, the footnotes at the bottom might as well be in Korean:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/jalen-hurts-47648/

Still have no idea how we save 90m$ by cutting him in 2029, a full year after his contract supposedly ends:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Howie also studied law at an SEC school and worked in the Eagles’ financial department for a decade. One could argue his football IQ isn’t why he’s lapping other GMs. Just look at how Jalen’s contract is structured, the footnotes at the bottom might as well be in Korean:

Still have no idea how we save 90m$ by cutting him in 2029, a full year after his contract supposedly ends:

We don’t. His contract doesn’t really work on those sites. His dead money in 2029 is like $97M

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

We don’t. His contract doesn’t really work on those sites. His dead money in 2029 is like $97M

So 2029 is when we really have to worry about the cap? Ok, I will set my alarm. 

Just now, jsb235 said:

So 2029 is when we really have to worry about the cap? Ok, I will set my alarm. 

No. Didn’t say anything about worrying about the cap. Just the guy who created the website said himself the table doesn’t work for a contract like his. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh not harris’ problem. That’s a fan issue. They’ll find ways to get to the game and concerts. Plus I’m guessing they’ll have some parking where he’s gets all the money off that. He has that arena he gets 100% of ticket sales, concessions and doesn’t have to pay rent to Comcast at the WFC. The biggest reason the sixers don’t want to play at the WFC is cause they pay rent and have to give Comcast a nice chunk go ticket sales and concessions. Plus they get nothing on concerts or anything else that happens at the arena 

On the contrary, it is the city's problem... which is why they need community support.  It doesn't work, without supporting infrastructure.

54 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

https://www.spotrac.com/news/breaking-down-jalen-hurts-255m-extension-1865/

More details...

18 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

On the contrary, it is the city's problem... which is why they need community support.  It doesn't work, without supporting infrastructure.

First off, there’s gonna be parking where they get that stadium. The Sixers aren’t gonna buy land/get land and be like you know what we don’t need any parking. It’s another avenue of making money for Harris and the sixers to have that. They obviously are going to get land where it’s being built then incorporate some parking into it. So saying there’s going to be no parking is a fallacy.

The issue is more is there going to be enough parking? That is different than saying there’s no parking.

i am also guessing the ones who own the property around the arena are likely gonna get paid for that property so the sixers (city) can do whatever they want with it. very well could be parking. 

also, more of a fan problem not having enough parking. Even if you have the bare minimum parking Harris gets the arena and only cares about that because he’s gonna sell the team at that point. Again, Harris has enough money to get what he wants then make his money back and then a ton more by just getting that arena in the sale of the organization. i don’t think the parking situation is that bigger concern for Harris as it is for fans going to the games. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

First off, there’s gonna be parking where they get that stadium. The Sixers aren’t gonna buy land and be like you know what we don’t need any parking. It’s another avenue of making money for Harris and the sixers to have that. They obviously are going to get land where it’s being built then incorporate some parking into it. So saying there’s going to be no parking is a fallacy.

The issue is more is there going to be enough parking? That is different than saying there’s no parking.

i am also guessing the ones who own the property around the arena are likely gonna get paid for that property so the city and sixers can do whatever they want with it. very well could be parking. 

also, more of a fan problem not having enough parking. Even if you have the bare minimum parking Harris gets the arena and only cares about that because he’s gonna sell the team and at that point

Not having enough is the same as having none if you are the guy that needs a spot, but none is available for you.  There's a reason the community is being wooed.  The entire thing is a community issue, not just a bottom line issue for the Sixers.  The Phillies desperately wanted a stadium in the Northern Liberties area.  It couldn't happen... for a variety of reasons.  But none of them were related to the Phillies desire due to their self-interest in their own bottom line.

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Not having enough is the same as having none if you are the guy that needs a spot, but none is available for you.  There's a reason the community is being wooed.  The entire thing is a community issue, not just a bottom line issue for the Sixers.  The Phillies desperately wanted a stadium in the Northern Liberties area.  It couldn't happen... for a variety of reasons.  But none of them were related to the Phillies desire due to their self-interest in their own bottom line.

I’d be willing to bet a lot of money the reason the Sixers don’t get that arena does not fall on "not enough parking”. We are talking about strictly parking. Not anything else but parking. Even if they get the arena where they want to and have enough land to incorporate some more parking, they are never gonna have enough parking. It’s always gonna be an issue. Which is why I don’t think parking is gonna be the reason why they failed to get that arena, nor Harris really cares if they don’t have overflow parking especially if he gets the arena and he’s selling the team anyways.

If the Sixers are good fans are going to figure a way to get there. If there’s a concert that people want to go, they’re going to figure a way to get there with or without ideal parking  

The bigger issue is for fans going to that game that have to figure out how to get to the game. And I’m guessing the Sixers in their proposal are probably going to give other ways and alternatives to make it to the stadium without having to have luxurious parking for everyone 

I’d be willing to bet a lot of money the reason the Sixers don’t get that arena does not fall on "not enough parking”. We are talking about strictly parking. Not anything else but parking. Even if they get the arena where they want to and have enough land to incorporate more parking never gonna have enough parking. It’s always gonna be an issue. Which is why I don’t think parking is gonna be the reason why they failed to get that arena, nor Harris really cares if they don’t have enough parking

You are talking strictly parking.  I specifically said "infrastructure", that incorporates far more than parking.   Parking is just one minor component in all of that.  The increased traffic flow in and around the arena for each and every event is a massive concern for the city.  That means dedicated police to help move things along, etc.  I-676 is very close to the Chinatown area they are looking at, but that road is already always overused as it is.  And there's no feasible (meaning economically feasible) way to expand it beyond its current capacity.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You are talking strictly parking.  I specifically said "infrastructure", that incorporates far more than parking.   Parking is just one minor component in all of that.  The increased traffic flow in and around the arena for each and every event is a massive concern for the city.  That means dedicated police to help move things along, etc.  I-676 is very close to the Chinatown area they are looking at, but that road is already always overused as it is.  And there's no feasible (meaning economically feasible) way to expand it beyond its current capacity.

Well my response to him was about strictly about parking. And his response was strictly about parking at the arena. So yes it was as simple as talking about parking. 

so yes, everything you’re talking about may be correct. However, his response was they have no parking. I will bet you if they get that arena in that location it’ll have some sort of parking. Whether or not it’s gonna be enough is a completely different story likely Harris won’t care if they do cause he got the arena approved and can sell the team for more. 

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’ve been saying this for a while. I think Joshua Harris wants that new stadium because he wants to sell the Sixers at max value. The only way he can sell the Sixers at a peak maximum value is if they have their own arena so they’re not renters at Wells Fargo Center. Whether or not the Sixers are good or not isnt as valuable as owning your own arena. Because NBA franchise you’re gonna make a ton of money anyways. But if you have your own building, you can do other events and make money off all ticket sales and concessions. Right now, the Sixers don’t have that working for them. So selling the team you’re not gonna make nearly the value as if you had your own arena. That’s to me is why he’s been pushing for it.

well unfortunately we are about 8 or 9 years away from having that stadium, so if thats the case he will own the team for about another decade at least. 

And we will be left with a ridiculous new stadium thats just a stupid as everything else the 76ers have done since firing Hinkie.

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Well my response to him was about strictly about parking. And his response was strictly about parking at the arena. So yes it was as simple as talking about parking. 

so yes, everything you’re talking about may be correct. However, his response was they have no parking. I will bet you if they get that arena in that location it’ll have some sort of parking. Whether or not it’s gonna be enough is a completely different story likely Harris won’t care if they do cause he got the arena approved and can sell the team for more. 

I have a hard time believing it will be approved, and parking will be one of the many reasons why it will be denied.  Same as the Phillies in Northern Liberties.

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Best $4 I’ve spent in a while. 

IMG_7718.jpeg

son of a B I was watching a blankenship card, as well as Mac McClung, and a Jalen Carter. Ive been forgetting to check before the auctions end.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Howie really is a unique monster.  Not a lot of GM's have had the opportunity to be encouraged to be creative, learn from it, refine, evolve, and continue to reinvent.  That is no small part of the reason why Howie is smarter, more creative, and gets stuff done in different ways than other GM's.  Other GM's have a 2-3 year window to demonstrate linear progression or they are fired.  Howie just got a canvas.  And he trashed that canvas more than once.  

Makes you wonder if Hinkie were banished, brought back, allowed to learn from his mistakes....if the 76ers might be in a different place.  

I wonder what mistakes Hinkie would even admit to making. For the most part, he was fired because the NBA had to step in for him doing his job too good.

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I have a hard time believing it will be approved, and parking will be one of the many reasons why it will be denied.  Same as the Phillies in Northern Liberties.

I have a harder time believing parking is one of the top 3 reasons they don’t get approved. I think in their proposals there’s already ways to find more parking and ideas to get fans/people to the arena without ideal parking. I think there’s gonna be at least 5 more pressing reasons they don’t.

However, I also think this with the Sixers, Joshua Harris is going to threaten the city that he’s going to move them New Jersey. Cause I think NJ is likely willing to give him the green light if he came with a proposal if the city of Philly denies him. Heck the practice facility is already there so it likely behooves him to move it there especially if city keeps shutting him down.

So if it’s not there, it’s gonna be somewhere else where in the city or good chance he moved them to nj at some point. staying at WFC isn’t a great option as financially the sixers are not maximizing. Now maybe they tell him pound sand and he sells the team but i think it’s more likely he looks to NJ as the alternative. 

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I wonder what mistakes Hinkie would even admit to making. For the most part, he was fired because the NBA had to step in for him doing his job too good.

Not playing by the unstated rules.

I have a harder time believing parking is one of the top 3 reasons they don’t get approved. I think I’m their proposals there’s already ways to find more parking and ideals to get fans/people to the arena with it ideal parking. I think there’s gonna be at least 5 more pressing reasons they don’t.

However, I also think this with the Sixers, Joshua Harris is going to threaten the city that he’s going to move them New Jersey. Cause I think NJ is willing to give him the green light if he came with a proposal if the city of Philly denies him. Heck the practice facility is already there so it likely behooves him to move it there especially if city keeps shutting him down.

So if it’s not there, it’s gonna be somewhere else where in the city or good chance he moved them to nj at some point. staying at WFC isn’t a great option as financially the sixers are not maximizing. Now maybe they tell him pound sand and he sells the team but i think it’s more likely he looks to NJ as the alternative. 

You very well are right.  As I said, there are many reasons. 

I do hope they tell the Sixers to pound sand.  

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Let’s also just put everything out on the table, Joshua Harris is not Jeffrey Lurie. Lurie stood behind Howie Roseman, even when things were bad and with conviction. He let him make mistakes and run the team in the way they saw fit. Joshua Harris doesn’t have a backbone and would completely do the same thing again if the nba didn’t like him tanking. 

Let’s also just put everything out on the table, Joshua Harris is not Jeffrey Lurie. Lurie stood behind Howie Roseman, even when things were bad and with conviction. He let him make mistakes and run the team in the way they saw fit. Joshua Harris doesn’t have a backbone and would completely do the same thing again if the nba didn’t like him tanking. 

Harris seems far more interested in the social and financial aspects of being an owner.  For any faults Jeff has, he has always wanted to win.  Even if he foolishly referred to the Eagles as the "gold standard" while the team struggled to even get to a Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I just wish, even if the NBA said no more tanking, that the 6ers would have told Hinkie to stop, and start using the assets to build. 

I do believe he was just about at that point where he would have started that phase, but we never got to see him do it.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You very well are right.  As I said, there are many reasons. 

I do hope they tell the Sixers to pound sand.  

I hope they tell them to pound sand as well. Cause F Harris.

However the bigger fear of that happens is Joshua Harris being a dbag says fine I’m moving them to NJ and finds land there and does it.

like I said the biggest reason why Joshua Harris wants this new arena is because he can maximize on the profits of the team. Because you get 100% of the ticket sales, 100% of suite box sales, 100% of the concessions, you can have concerts and other crap in that arena when the Sixers aren’t there. the only way Joshua harris can maximize the organization is to get out of being a renter at WFC and his own arena. This is not i want a new arena for the sixers cause they need or deserve one. It’s always about how he can maximize his pockets especially at time of sale. 

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

I just wish, even if the NBA said no more tanking, that the 6ers would have told Hinkie to stop, and start using the assets to build. 

I do believe he was just about at that point where he would have started that phase, but we never got to see him do it.

Looking at what they did after him, he couldn't have done worse.  He worked hard to gather those assets... and Colangelo just frittered them away.  The trade up for Fultz had to be an all-time blunder.  They could have gotten him at 3, no trade required...

I hope they tell them to pound sand as well. Cause F Harris.

However the bigger fear of that happens is Joshua Harris being a dbag says fine I’m moving them to NJ and finds land there and does it.

like I said the biggest reason why Joshua Harris wants this new arena is because he can maximize on the profits of the team. Because you get 100% of the ticket sales, 100% of suite box sales, 100% of the concessions, you can have concerts and other crap in that arena when the Sixers aren’t there. the only way Joshua harris can maximize the organization is to get out of being a renter at WFC and his own arena. This is not i want a new arena for the sixers cause they need or deserve one. It’s always about how he can maximize his pockets especially at time of sale. 

NJ being the site doesn't bother me.  

Archived