Hate to say it…. Hurts got paid. He’s done

uncphillyfan

On 10/15/2023 at 9:52 PM, uncphillyfan said:

All I see is half ass. 

Turkey Hill POTD!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Procus said:

This topic is bs.  Eagles win that game handily if LJ doesn't go down.  Plain and simple.

Thats BS. The eagles shouldn't have lost even with  Lane going down. Thats just a sign of bad coaching. 

Hurts had an overall poor game, but I don't think his OC is putting him in the best position to win. It felt like we were watching the Eagles under Reid on Sunday, and I get that they weren't getting a lot each carry, but it was stupid to throw the ball on the drive that led to an INT.   Anyway, it's funny to see the Hurts haters again, as they've been waiting patiently for a reason to post again 😂

Not a Hurts hater by any stretch but the bottom line is that he has not played well at all this season with pretty much the same O as last year with just a change at RG and I think an improved RB in Swift.  I'm no expert but it seems like he is stuck in second gear and is not reading the field and all his reads are very slow in development.  I think this new OC and Siri are obviously not putting him in the right position to be successful and he looks a lot like the 2021 Hurts.  The rest of the season with a much tougher schedule will be be very tough if he does not improve. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

Not a Hurts hater by any stretch but the bottom line is that he has not played well at all this season with pretty much the same O as last year with just a change at RG and I think an improved RB in Swift.  I'm no expert but it seems like he is stuck in second gear and is not reading the field and all his reads are very slow in development.  I think this new OC and Siri are obviously not putting him in the right position to be successful and he looks a lot like the 2021 Hurts.  The rest of the season with a much tougher schedule will be be very tough if he does not improve. 

I think he's been fine for the most part. I don't agree that he hasn't played well at all, cos If that were the case I don't think we'd have been 5-0.  I think his turnover number is somewhat deceiving, because a few of his recent INTs are pretty fluke (with one being a great defensive play), but he has thrown a number of really poor passes that lead to turnovers.  I agree on the OC point, because Johnson's playcalling has been a consistent disappointment.   Let's just hope that the team can get and remain healthy and have a great run at the end of the season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, judunno said:

That's the line of thinking that lost them the game. Oh you can just pass all day on these dudes no need to run the starters are out... smh. Fell into the trap once again. Still a well coached NFL team out there that can't be taken lightly. Still need a mix so that DL doesn't have fun pass rushing our QB all game. Then you're starting HOF RT goes out and you don't adjust the play calling. Pure disrespect and they deserved that L with that approach. I don't know if they were calling themselves preserving the tread on the RBs and OL or what. Ok... rant over. On to Miami. Not going to over analyze this L we see it every year when the coaches lose their way only to get smacked back into reality. The identity of this team starts up front. Let them guys Eat and then everyone else can Eat.

I think it was a combination of things, like any team where the starter goes out during a game they pick on the back up right away. Philly thought they could do that from the get go and and they wanted to attack a weakness. They clearly felt they outmatched their DB's and we've seen first hand how Craig James isn't a very good player (he made some great positive plays for the Jets). Add in that when they did run the ball, Swift averaged 1.8 yards per carry, Scott 1 and Gainwell averaged 6.5 (one run he had 12 and the other 1 yard). The Jets played the run well and they continued to pass.

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

So Hurts had 280 yards and a good completion percentage.  Brian Johnson failed in play calling, and they barely ran the ball early.  They still should balance with more runs.  Also in pass protection the O line has not been good.  Sometimes Hurts has plenty of protection, but far too often the pocket collapses immediately and he's running for his life.  It got worse when Lane was injured.  The right side had 2 backups on Opeta and Driscoll (who sucks).

That's when they should have let the O line run block and let Swift do his thing.  They also have not done a good job running screens.  More RB screens to help with the blitz and when the O line pass protection is lacking especially 2 backups on the right side.

A lot of that is coaching.  And Siri has to take responsibility as well in game planning and if the OC isn't performing he needs to hold him accountable.

Meanwhile, the Eagles also had a lot of injuries in the secondary plus Carter, Williams was hurt in game then came back, then Lane of course.  That field is awful.

I think they substituted the run game with lots of short passes. This was the most active Swift has been in the passing game and it was a way to get the D off balance. 

The secondary worries me heading into the Dolphins game. I think they lost 3 more guys (Blankenship from the blindside block, Roby and Ricks), you add that to Slay, Brown, Evans, Maddox and Brown and an already thin position is completely screwed trying to cover Hill. They need the D-line to dominate, pressure Tua and not allow Hill to get downhill on guys like Jobe

1 hour ago, manz2821 said:

He was trending upwards after a slow start. He has gotten better each of the last three weeks, had an exceptional first half and the last quarter was a sheet show. The Cowboys and 9'ers will be the best defensive teams he faces the rest of the way. The Bills are also pretty banged up otherwise they would have been thrown in that bunch. It's the D that will struggle keeping pace with some of their offensive teams they will play and with how banged up they are it makes a tough job even harder. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mat said:

I think it was a combination of things, like any team where the starter goes out during a game they pick on the back up right away. Philly thought they could do that from the get go and and they wanted to attack a weakness. They clearly felt they outmatched their DB's and we've seen first hand how Craig James isn't a very good player (he made some great positive plays for the Jets). Add in that when they did run the ball, Swift averaged 1.8 yards per carry, Scott 1 and Gainwell averaged 6.5 (one run he had 12 and the other 1 yard). The Jets played the run well and they continued to pass.

I think they substituted the run game with lots of short passes. This was the most active Swift has been in the passing game and it was a way to get the D off balance. 

The secondary worries me heading into the Dolphins game. I think they lost 3 more guys (Blankenship from the blindside block, Roby and Ricks), you add that to Slay, Brown, Evans, Maddox and Brown and an already thin position is completely screwed trying to cover Hill. They need the D-line to dominate, pressure Tua and not allow Hill to get downhill on guys like Jobe

I did like getting Swift some catches.  I would lean more heavily on him in the offense with more carries, screens and short passes.  There are times he's there for a check down with no one around so he'd quickly get to the first down, but Hurts is forcing it to one of the receivers.  Understandably, but sometimes being more methodical and eating more time would help.

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I did like getting Swift some catches.  I would lean more heavily on him in the offense with more carries, screens and short passes.  There are times he's there for a check down with no one around so he'd quickly get to the first down, but Hurts is forcing it to one of the receivers.  Understandably, but sometimes being more methodical and eating more time would help.

I still have the Charles Davis commentary from Madden ingrained in my head of the short pass game replacing the run game :lol: 

If they can add some successful RB screens than it will also open things up. They'll keep building as the season goes on and we were seeing layers they hadn't really used previously this season. You also don't want to burn out Swift in October considering he has gotten banged up his last couple of seasons in Detroit. I would like to see them use Penny more, he would have been the ideal back for the Jets game since he is a bigger body and can bust off chunk plays but they have decided he isn't going to dress. 

2 hours ago, Mat said:

That's the problem and this concept should have died with Big Red's departure. You can't substitute the run game with short passes. It's not the same thing and doesn't impact the game the same way. Especially when this isn't something the Eagles are accustomed to doing. They only ran the RBs 14 times to close to 50 drop back passes while they were leading practically all game. That's not a recipe for success. Made themselves one dimensional and the Jets started sitting on the short stuff because they knew the pass rush typically with 4 would get there with Lane out. You have to keep it somewhat balanced and the defenses honest otherwise they pin their ears back on the pass rush and play the pass to the point that the windows are too small and the margin of error is less favorable. Swift is explosive.. he could have 2 yards a carry then bam breaks one for 30 to 40. You just don't give up on it.

• Like 1

Hurts has not played as well as last season.  He takes too long to get the ball out.  Trusting the OL and feeling protected behind the OL is one thing, but it let the defense time to react to the movements.  Last season, he was more decisive on runs or passes. He seems to process the progression more slowly.  He might be told not to run too much to avoid injury.  This season the RPO has not been used all that much.  This should the coaches' thing and not Hurts.  His plays must improve for this team to go anywhere.

I feel like trying to please both AJ and Devonta and at the same time not ignoring Goedert has messed with his head.

He needs to wipe all that away and start with a clean slate. Treat everyone as target dummies. The only thing that matters is which one is open?

6 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I feel like trying to please both AJ and Devonta and at the same time not ignoring Goedert has messed with his head.

He needs to wipe all that away and start with a clean slate. Treat everyone as target dummies. The only thing that matters is which one is open?

People are over thinking this stuff. The Eagles are fine, but they do have issues. They are trying to overcome a rash of them and they have a first year coordinator. First year Steichen wasn’t much either. I do believe Jalen needs to cut down on the turnovers though. 

• Like 1

This Miami game will be the defining game for Hurts and the rest of the season imho.

On 10/15/2023 at 7:52 PM, uncphillyfan said:

All I see is half ass. 

The context of this topic and title is that you believe Hurts' play has declined because his motivation is entirely financial?  I don't see his current issues being related to motivation; there are a few factors coming into play:

-- Change in OC.  Shane Steichen doesn't get enough credit for the work he did with the Eagles.  Much of the improvement in the Eagles offense can be traced back to when Nick handed play calling over to Steichen.  I believe where Nick's talents are player motivation and empowerment, strategy, and teaching ability -- it might be that Steichen was the better offensive mind in terms of X's and O's, progressions, etc.

-- Defenses adjust.  The NFL doesn't take long to catch up to what offenses are doing to beat them.  Keep in mind only the greatest of athletes are able to string great season after great season throughout their careers.  NFL DC's will take away what you do best and force you to adapt.  

-- Coaching (?).  I've heard suggested a few times that the Eagles coaches have counselled Hurts not to run as much and develop as a pocket passer in order to conserve his health for the end of the season/playoffs.  If true, that in itself is a big adjustment for Hurts to make, and will take time to fully develop.

Whatever Hurts' current issues are, I don't think motivation or desire is among them.  I think even after getting paid he will strive and put the work in to be the best he can possibly be.

• Like 2

This is why you dont pay guys after one good year. He has regressed greatly. Not sure if it’s him or the OC.

He's playing good. Not real good, but good enough to help the Iggles have 5 wins (Jets should have been 6 - need to stack the easier wins).

I don't know if it's him, the new OC, Nick, the OL, the WRs, the lack of a consistent running game, etc...there can be quite a few factors that go into how a QB plays and looks.

One thing that REALLY needs to be watched -- and corrected - is the Turnovers. From the ENTIRE Offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

This is why you dont pay guys after one good year. He has regressed greatly. Not sure if it’s him or the OC.

I disagree. He improved significantly from his rookie season to his 2nd season and from his 2nd to 3rd. There's plenty of reason to be optimistic that he will continue to improve over the course of time. While I would agree that he hasn't played at last year's level thus far this season, I'm still pretty confident he will get back to that level and continue to improve as a QB for the next few seasons. In the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter when you pay a player. The sooner you pay him, the cheaper it will be later on, while the longer you wait, the more you will pay later on. In the end, it's all relative unless you just want to be on a perennial cycle through rookie contract QBs. 

Now if you are going to offer a counter argument using Daniel Jones, I challenge you to prove to me that he improved as a player each season and that he made his team better as well. 

• Like 1

The money is not the issue. Teams have adjusted to him and are throwing new looks at him. The next year is going to be key as to whether he’s going to be a top QB long term or not.